Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Fata Morgana (103)

I am trying to watch it seperately from SG and it works.

This episode was a bit better than Pilot - mostly bc it was faster, we saw how things are normally going in the Sanctuary. What is not working for me is relationship between Ashley and Helen. Some chat here and there isn´t enough. I don´t think there are enough good mother/daughter relationships in sci-fi, so I´d like to see more. They obviously haven´t big problems between each other but I´d like to see some conflict and some more chemistry between them.
    But I think there is plenty of time.

Otherwise - I really liked it
    http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2...user6gpaw9.gif

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Captain

Some annoyances:

1. Will and Helen's improper use of "A.D."

2. Will's reference to a bubonic plague outbreak in Scotland in A.D. 800. That doesn't sound right, for various reasons.

Helen had to lock them up. She was forced to shoot them with some sort of gun to knock them out. Their little flying act destroyed a large portion of Helen's lab, not to mention the damage they did to Will , blood coming from his nose and ears are not a good sign. Helen also believed someone would be coming for them and they had no way of protecting them now that the sisters destroyed the Sanctuary's security. So not only were they in danger but all of Helen's patients were in danger as well. Helen had no choice but to render them unconscious for the sake of everyone's lives.

Will for his part now believes their story and what Helen read about them in her history books. He thinks their memories are what made them go crazy... He believes like most kidnapped victims, they don't feel they have a choice. Will offers another choice that the Cabal gave them the ability and took away their freedom. They have had to do what they were told for so long and the sisters feel they owe the Cabal something. Freedom is not a concept they understand and part of them doesn't feel they deserve it due to all the death they caused. Will thinks with more counseling he can get through to them and help them to adjust. I don't think it has anything to do with what they looked like. I think Will understood what it was like to be haunted by dreams or nightmares. Will has confidence in his ability to help them with enough time.

What is nice about the ending is the sisters had their first taste of freedom and while yes they went back to the cabal to save those that work at the Sanctuary. They may be back in a later episode. In their short stay at the Sanctuary they have tasted another way of life. They have a ways to go, but like Helen said Will may have gotten through to them more than he realizes and if freedom is something they seek in the future they will be able to get out on their own thanks to Will, Helen and Ashely.
    Last edited by ann_sgcfan; October 11th, 2008 at 12:21 PM. Reason: typos

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by rderoch View Post
    And now a question about the opening credits. Does anybody else think that might have been a picture of Amanda and Olivia?

I thought so too

I don´t like those opening credits. It was the only thing better in the webepisode (imo). I liked the credits in webepisodes. This intro looks like not very well made DVD menu.
    http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2...user6gpaw9.gif

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

my thoughts on 'fata mogana'.

loved it!

i'm very glad they've worked on mellowing ashley. she's a much more likeable person. my mom was woo hooing while ash was kicking butt.

loved that the three witches weren't all that bad after all. they were given an option to be something different, which i'm hoping we'll see (them) again. i especially liked the main sister. i don't know where i've seen her before, but i like her.

the black guy that was the head of the organization that wanted the witches back, we've seen him before on sg1. and he was being snarky to amanda/character then too!

very cool scene of ashley hanging out at the end of the brooklyn bridge... really curious on what happened to the bridge and society for that to happen.

my only complaint is MORE HELEN is needed!!, but i'm sure that's going to come along, like any fine dish that's slowly surved... just don't let us starve to death first.

excellent second ep of the series!

sally
    sally

Quote Originally Posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
    I wished they'd kept the allowance line too. It was a nice bit of Helen's humor and the changed line doesn't really match the hand motion she makes.
    i liked the allowance line as well, but i think they're trying to soften the helen/ashley relationship, so maybe that's why they changed it. but it didn't take anything away from the ep for me at all.

i was telling to my mom that i'm glad this isn't an all shoot 'em up show. they're taking the time to know and delve into the characters, which i think is the number one interesting thing about any story. at least ones i like (and end up falling in love with).

i'm soooooooo glad amanda kept the british helen accent!

sally
    sally

this was an ok ep imo. a lot was used from the webisodes so no surprises, except for the people in control of the witches which was weird unnecessary imo. I'm not sure why but the CGI was painfully obvious in some scenes ie when the three were flying and Will came running towards them. I think other people already mentioned the allowance line, too bad it was cut. anyway this was a solid ep and I'm looking forward to Folding Man (although it reminds me of an X-Files ep )

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

I really enjoyed last night's episode of Sanctuary. So far, so good IMO.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Quote Originally Posted by the fifth man View Post
    I really enjoyed last night's episode of Sanctuary. So far, so good IMO.
    what was your favorite part, fifth man? inquiring minds want to know.
    sally

Quote Originally Posted by majorsal View Post
    i'm very glad they've worked on mellowing ashley. she's a much more likeable person. my mom was woo hooing while ash was kicking butt.
    Yeah I like how her character has been handled a lot.

the black guy that was the head of the organization that wanted the witches back, we've seen him before on sg1. and he was being snarky to amanda/character then too!
    I knew I recognized him from somewhere.

very cool scene of ashley hanging out at the end of the brooklyn bridge... really curious on what happened to the bridge and society for that to happen.
    Yeah I've been trying to get my mom into the show and she asked me about the bridge, and I honestly couldn't tell her.

Quote Originally Posted by majorsal View Post
    i liked the allowance line as well, but i think they're trying to soften the helen/ashley relationship, so maybe that's why they changed it. but it didn't take anything away from the ep for me at all.
    I can see trying to lighten the relationship up, but the line they put in its place didn't seem to work for me for some reason.

Overall loved the ep. I can't wait for next week.

First Lieutenant

This episode was very hit and miss for me.

On the one hand, the premise was excellent. The acting was generally excellent with one exception (see below). I liked the introduction of The Cabal, it adds another potentially interesting dynamic to the show and it's mythos. The many possibilities about who/what the Morrigan are that were discussed was refreshing -- I like it when they protagonists don't always get it right first time. It was great to see the logical mind of Will butt up against the fantastical reality of the situation, until he ultimately had to stop trying to reason with logic and just deal with it.

On the other hand, Ashley continues to be one of the worst written and acted characters in any show ever. Her dialogue is always bad and often cheesey, her fight sequences are beyond stupid, her whole image is as cliché as it gets. Take a bad character, add in bad acting, and the result is not pretty. She really brings the whole show down -- kill her ASAP.

Another problem was the rather obvious error Will made of stepping on the symbol in the crypt without even noticing or considering it. That was pretty inconsistent with the pilot where he noticed small details in the apartment. An obvious symbol surrounded by 3 stone coffins radiating from it would seem easy to spot by comparison. I suppose a minor niggle though really.

Overall, pretty enjoyable with a few low points, but quite a few high points.

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

i do see your point abouot will, but i do think, in this case, it's a matter of reusing the webby and its premise, and will - in the webby - wasn't a super attentive ex csi/fbi, he was a slightly fumbling/bumbling psychiotherapist that had never dealt with anything like this.

we'll see if it continues and if he is again 'stupid to further the plot'

Ashley, she does need to find her nitch and she needs some humanization.

I think, to see the 'full' extent of the character changes/tweakages, we'll have to wait for Folding Man and the other episodes. this coming friday will be the first 100% new (except for any flashbacks from the webbies that they might use)

Sitting in a corner, waiting for the 3rd SG1 movie

I liked this episode a lot. I missed the Arthurian references, but this works too. I think the Morgana are going to be back, that's for sure, and they're probably going to make that group pay for what they did.

I'm definitely looking forward to next week's episode since I think it will be all new plot and all that. The old stuff was pretty obvious in this episode. I kept noticing the pink streak in her hair that was there in the Webisodes but not in the new stuff. Not that it matters, but it made me chuckle a little.

Airman

So how many more web episodes were turned into full episodes? Is all of season 1 going to be filled with discussions of the differences and missing "allowance lines" or is it going to be just the first couple?

Anyway, I never saw any web episodes so I took this as it was. And what it was, was excellent! I am really enjoying this series. It has that Stargate flavor (no surprise there) but with a new direction and new characters. I'm already hooked.

Specifically for this episode, I enjoyed this different take on a witch story. I mean, compare this to the first Buffy witch story or many others on other shows. Witch doesn't always have to mean straight evil so it was nice to see a different take.

Question: That electric shield we saw in the pilot. Is that effective ONLY against Helen's old flame? I was expecting it to cause problems with this invading force this week and it didn't.

Which brings up another point. Two episodes and two home invasions. Not good. Helen's security is about as bad as Smallville's Lex Luthor mansion.
    “When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmmm, boy.”
    ~ Jack Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by CarnalPIE View Post
    So how many more web episodes were turned into full episodes? Is all of season 1 going to be filled with discussions of the differences and missing "allowance lines" or is it going to be just the first couple?

Anyway, I never saw any web episodes so I took this as it was. And what it was, was excellent! I am really enjoying this series. It has that Stargate flavor (no surprise there) but with a new direction and new characters. I'm already hooked.

Specifically for this episode, I enjoyed this different take on a witch story. I mean, compare this to the first Buffy witch story or many others on other shows. Witch doesn't always have to mean straight evil so it was nice to see a different take.

Question: That electric shield we saw in the pilot. Is that effective ONLY against Helen's old flame? I was expecting it to cause problems with this invading force this week and it didn't.

Which brings up another point. Two episodes and two home invasions. Not good. Helen's security is about as bad as Smallville's Lex Luthor mansion.
    Nope that's it for the webisodes. From here on out it's new... there may be some flashbacks that they haven't shown yet of Helen ... but it's only enough for a few scenes not an entire episode.

I enjoyed the episodes as well!

The reason the force field didn't work is because when the sisters/witches were flying around in the lab they fried all the electrical equipment there and damaged the Sanctuary's external shield... That is what Henry was doing outside trying to fix it.

I've seen a few screen shots from later eppy's so I don't think it will always be an invasion on the Sanctuary.

Quote Originally Posted by CarnalPIE View Post
    Just these two episodes had footage and storylines from the webisodes. There were 8 webisodes total, 1-4 were altered/expanded and became Sanctuary for All (101 and 102), and 5-8 were altered/expanded to become Fata Morgana (103).

Starting with Folding Man (104) there will be all-new footage and storylines. The only thing left from the webisodes that they might reuse are a few flashbacks to Magnus's past in Victorian England.

I'm loving the series too, and now I kinda wish I hadn't seen the webisodes because then I'd be able to watch it with fresh eyes like you could. I can't wait for the all-new stuff next week.

EDIT: Do'h! ann_sgcfan beat me to the answer.

Lieutenant Colonel SamJackShipper93's Avatar

Just wanted to say how much I like the character of Ashley.

It's very nice to see a girl who's fearless, courageous, sharp-witted and smart, and while she could very well have that rebellious teenage personality, she's not at all sarcastic or disrespectful to Helen. They seem to have a wonderful relationship, working and personal, and I don't think we see that enough on TV (or in real life) today!

Loved Fata Morgana, can't wait til next week's ep!

The Return of King Arthur
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
    acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

I am actually enjoying this show. I never saw the internet version, but yeah. I'm just sorta watching it without being critical and enjoying the very pretty gothic visuals and humor which is actually pretty amusing, quite unlike SG's humor in recent years which is basically OH HEY WE MADE A CUTE POP CULTURE REFERENCE HA HA.

Erm, yeah. Enjoyable show. Will is cool. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by SamJackShipper93 View Post
    Just wanted to say how much I like the character of Ashley.

It's very nice to see a girl who's fearless, courageous, sharp-witted and smart, and while she could very well have that rebellious teenage personality, she's not at all sarcastic or disrespectful to Helen. They seem to have a wonderful relationship, working and personal, and I don't think we see that enough on TV (or in real life) today!

Loved Fata Morgana, can't wait til next week's ep!
    i loved their interactions in the ep too! like, when helen's in ashley's room (and holding her cup of tea ), and just wanting to make sure her daughter would be careful and safe. and their loving kiss goodbye. i also chuckled when helen called her while ash was on the roof of some building (or ash called her), and when helen asked ashley if she got hurt and ash said no, helen said she'd change the bandages when she got home.
    sally

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast