No announcement yet.

Sanctuary For All (101-102)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing a re-watch as the showing is airing on tv again here (even though I have the dvd's, but any excuse...) so thought I would post my thoughts about it. As I've seen all episodes already I'll spoiler tag anything referring to future episodes that might ruin surprises for first time watchers.

On a vanity level I prefer Helen's hair dark brown like this, I wasn't too keen on the red streaks from the Webisodes & I miss glasses wearing Will.

Will annoyed me in the beginning of this episode. I know they want to show how super observant Will is (to really drive it home he's referred to as Sherlock not once, but twice in this episode), but was there really a need for him to stop the waitress in the middle of her work to query if the usual cook was off because the balsamic drizzle was counter clockwise instead of clockwise. He told her the food was fine & that the change of direction of the drizzle didn't matter, so leave the poor lady alone to do her job Will. I think they show it much better later at the crime scene where he notices locks on the bedroom door to keep someone in & working out a kid lives there because of the comic book & the fidgety scuff marks on the floor.

Now when Magnus/Bigfoot hit Will with the car (I assume on purpose), how did they know they wouldn't kill him (also terrible practice for recruiting people). I mean has she done this before, or calculated with her brilliant mind how hard she could hit someone of his size/weight etc without killing them. The Hit couldn't of been an accident as the car lights are on & if they had trouble seeing it's pretty reckless of a woman of peace like Helen to go speeding down an alley putting lives in danger.

KAVAN! I like him, so am automatically a fan of Kavannah. I know he's quite dismissive of Will, but I might too if Will kept insisting that I had got everything wrong & that he was right.
    On a completely unrelated note the lady cop in the investigation room has the dress sense & hairstyle of Lily Rush from Cold Case.

Ashley chasing the boy into the tunnels. She leaves her bike parked right in the middle of an alley (what, she doesn't expect any other vehicles to come down this alley) & I didn't see her take her keys out of the bike, no risk of theft there then huh.

As soon as John zorts in all tall & leather jacket wearing, creepy vibe straight away. Then when he opens a locket & inside is a picture of Helen, the way he looks at the picture, you know they were intimate at one point. The Working girl to John "English right?"... Really. You deserve what's coming. If I'd not seen any future episodes before I would get the feeling that John is not very gentlemanly.

Will's ex Meg let's herself into his apartment with a key. From their talk if seems like she dumped him. Why does she still have a key. When she leaves she hasn't handed him the door key & I didn't see her leave it on the side. GIVE HIM HIS KEY BACK CRAZY WOMAN!

John tries to zort into the Sanctuary, but get's bounced back out. You shall not pass John
    It seems like this caused him some pain, but he laughs...so not opposed to a bit of pain.

Will to Helen "Next time you're lonely, don't give your card out to strangers on the street". He makes her sound like some lonely spinster cat lady.

Ashley shows she has some moves when beating up the cops, but laughs a little after. Seems like she enjoyed hurting the good guys way to much. A hint of that "Killer instinct" that John mentions?

Helen regarding dangerous abnormals: "Others can't be allowed to roam free". But...
    Spoiler:
    Chuck in future episodes is roaming free & also helps out Henry & Will. Why is he suddenly less dangerous & can mingle with them?

Helen & Will meet up with Ashley, Will finds him straight away...right in front of them in an opened box/crate. Will's observation skills at work, of Ashley is just a lazy searcher.

Ashley mentions previously finding a den of Werewolves & Helen doesn't correct her.
    Spoiler:
    Later Henry say's the proper term is HAP & seems offended by the name werewolf, but other HAP's don't seem to mind. Henry being over sensitive?

Henry's first introduction & Helen seems quite dismissive of him, even before he starts making some insensitive remarks & her finding out about the death of the working woman. Here it seems like Helen has more patience & regard for the abnormals she protects then her hard working staff.

Ashley sneaking out, Henry doesn't seem too worried. Maybe Ashley has done this before. Helen & her secrets putting people in danger.

John & Ashley meet. Ashley pointing the gun in John's face, that smile, seems like she's relishing the thought of the kill. John seems to get annoyed at Ashley's rude, personal comments to him. His line "Time you learned to respect your elders". Makes it seem as if he would like her to look up to him, to maybe like him.

John is zapped with 10,000 volts, but he is playing possum & it hasn't really affected him at all.
    Spoiler:
    In a later episode after it is said that Nikola zaps him, for a short while it takes away his lust for the kill. O.K. Yes, I'm sure Nikola zapped him with way more than 10,000 volts. But wouldn't that still had some kind of minor effect on him?

Now so far Henry has only been seen inside the Sanctuary & as far as we know does not go into the field. So Ashley decides to leave it to Henry to secure the bad guy in the SHU, where the "Worst of the worst" are kept. Very sloppy of Ashley. Of course John easily get's the best of Henry. When Henry tries to warn the others John points the gun at him. He calls him back over by whistling at him & making kissing noises like you would at a pet, a dog.
    Spoiler:
    Foreshadowing?

It amused me when John walked along with Henry with his arm seemingly naturally on Henry's shoulder & Henry looks as uncomfortable as anything.

So we find out for sure at the end of the episode that John is Ashley's father. But it still seems weird in the way John put his face so close to Ashley's hair & then after kisses the back of her head. Creepy.

When Helen tells John that Ashley thinks her fathers dead he really seemed to lose his calm. So it is either important to him to be known by her, or just ego at play.

Just before John zorts out he say's "The a Five, the others will come".
    Spoiler:
    It makes me wonder what they originally had planned for this. Because as it ended up, only one of the Five besides John could be described as dangerous in any way

Will on Helen's age at the end "Teenaged monster hunter, I don't think so". Hadn't Ashley already told him that she & her mother went on a hunt while she was quite young. So how is far from probable to him.

Flashback to John's kill. Quite graphic, but I'm pleased they didn't downplay the kill too much. He is supposed to be Jack the Ripper after all.

Will works out that John is Ashley's father. In my opinion this is the point when Zhelen should tell this to Ashley straight away. A stranger who has only been there for 5 seconds should not have knowledge on your parentage than you.

Will accepts Helen's job offer on the grounds of no secrets.

Spoiler:
    Most of you know how well this turns out. She get's quite defensive after this & points out that she just shared her deepest darkest secret. Very clever, as she distracted Will & he doesn't notice that she never actually promises him this.

Comment

Working...
    X