• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sanctuary For All (101-102)

Visit the Episode GuideSANCTUARY SEASON ONE
    SANCTUARY FOR ALL
    EPISODE NUMBER - 101-102

While investigating the disturbing murder of two police officers, forensic psychiatrist Will Zimmerman meets a mysterious woman — Dr. Helen Magnus, who introduces him to a refuge for strange creatures. Meanwhile, a powerful man from Helen's past attempts to gain access to the Sanctuary.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by Darren; 20 February 2021, 09:30 PM.

I loved it

the differences between the webbies adn the movie were only noticible if you knew they were there.

i like it being fleshed out, will has a good back story, ties with the sanctuary going back 30 years. i like that ashley doesn't know about daddy. ashley is a bit more buffed and prettied up, but not quite as ott, which is a welcome reprieve. she got on my nerves in the webbies.

i like how kavan's role was expanded, and it was fun to see siler show up (he was a cop in the tunnels that got beat up by ashley)

interesting new twist about helen's blood and cool foreshadowing about the 'Five'

it's off to a good start
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Yeah Wow... the last 30 minutes really pull you in... nice twists

The fact that the Helen's blood ties into John is a cool twist! So does her blood allow him to travel through time (which would mean that she was immortal before when they were engaged) OR did her blood make him crazy... Or something else entirely? I really like that aspect and the many possibilities.

I do like the changes from the webisodes. There is more mystery and wow cool twist have I mentioned that

I really enjoyed it.

Comment

I can't begin to put into words how ****ing amazing that was. I now see what Damian was talking about as to the "CSI" type stuff. Not too much of it, but it's interesting.

Of course, I knew of EVERY part used from the webisodes, and what was added/changed. The coroner scenes were completely the same, and I assume the train and subway going buy before Ashley gets off her bike are reused. Ashley with the umbrella was from the webisodes and cut at the end (when John popped in in the alley), and her going into the subway was also from it. The 1888 scene was the same footage, but they changed the lighting and background behind Helen. They also added the part with the close up on John's face below the eyes, and when Helen checks on the prostitute (I think).

In the second half, Amanda flipping had me twisted around her finger. Well, first off, my jar LITERALLY dropped when she went to "talk" to the mermaid. From any scene on with her, she was soooooooooooooo hot, but I was also very entranced in the story.

Something else I'd like to touch on is Helen's attitude. She is indeed VERY blunt. A few examples: the "You got in the way line" , from that same scene telling Will that she... *ahem* wants him , and at the very end she immediately informs Will of her age right at the end (or before he finishes) his sentence.

I just had to jump up and down when I got up to turn my computer back on after that. I mean... DUDE!

Slightly OT:
        Spoiler:
        So my mother and sister came home exactly when the second airing started. They see the signs I put up and and are standing in the doorway just staring at me. I give them a gesture with my hand/arm to shoo, and then say please. They stand there some more and my mother asks, "what are you watching? A movie?" I say no and then she asks, "oh, you watching your girlfriend?"

I again shoo them. Good lord, if only she knew... CRAP, she's going to have to if I want to go to London.

Comment

Originally posted by ann_sgcfan View Post
          Yeah Wow... I really liked it as well!

The fact that the Helen's blood ties into John is a cool twist! So is her blood allow him to travel through time (which would mean that she was immortal before when they were engaged) OR did her blood make him crazy... Or something else entirely? I really like that aspect and the many possibilities.

I do like the changes from the webisodes. There is more mystery and wow cool twist have I mentioned that

I really enjoyed it.
          I suppose this is a spoiler for those that went into this blind.

Spoiler:
          He already had the power to warp space/time before he met Helen.

It's something that will be clearly explained during The Five, but Sanctuary For All gives support to the theory that there is something in Helen's blood that regenerates cells. Because John's ability has a degenerative effect on his brain, it makes sense that he needs Helen's blood.

Comment

OH YES! Something that has really caught my attention is the music. I simply can NOT get over it's effect on the mood being portrayed. I just find it so very strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon 304 View Post

Spoiler:

It's something that will be clearly explained during The Five, but Sanctuary For All gives support to the theory that there is something in Helen's blood that regenerates cells. Because John's ability has a degenerative effect on his brain, it makes sense that he needs Helen's blood.

Is this something Damian said? I must have missed it. Or is this your theory?
              Last edited by ann_sgcfan; 03 October 2008, 08:11 PM.

Comment

I really enjoyed the show as well. It's 100% better than the webisodes in my opinion. The lighting is much better. The storyline is gripping and all of the main characters have been made much more likeable imho as well as interesting. Oh! and the special effects were breathtaking.

I have to admit I was a bit concerned when I heard that Sci-Fi had picked up the show, but so fa it's a great start and I'm truly looking forward to seeing more.

I already have my theories about Helen's blood.

Last edited by ForeverSg1; 03 October 2008, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
                  I really enjoyed the show as well. It's 100% better than the webisodes in my opinion. The lighting is much better. The storyline is gripping and all of the main characters have been made much more likeable imho as well as interesting. Oh! and the special effects were breathtaking.

I have to admit I was a big concerned when I heard that Sci-Fi had picked up the show, but so far, I think it's a great start and I'm truly looking forward to seeing more.

I already have my theories about Helen's blood.

LOL and you aren't going to share with us? It's good to see you back!

Comment

So is it just me, or is there a single vibrate sound when Big Foot brings in the tea?

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon 304 View Post

Spoiler:

I'm really looking forward to seeing 'The Five'. I have a speculation that
                      Spoiler:
                      Tesla has something to do with Helen's regenerative abilities.

I believe he would have been in his thirties during the time that Helen was engaged to Druitt; and like Helen, he was a brilliant scientist who was ahead of his time. But he was also said to have been obsessed with the idea of 'immortality'. So I'm really interested to see where they go with this storyline.

Comment

Just finished watching it over here...thank god for DVR's or I would've missed the first half. I haven't looked much into Sanctuary before, but it looks promising, particularly the plot twists. As for the characters, Dr. Magnus and John Druitt intrigued me the most, with their century-old connections, and not to mention John being CREEPY. For the weirdest reason though, Will somehow reminds me of Daniel from SG; crackpot scientist who amazingly is right about stuff, and so gets recruited for some super-secret science project. Given that he's the main guy, I think we'll see some character develpment on that front. Ashley is a bit of a let-down though - she just seems to be the fanservicey Lara Croft-esque tough girl in leather. Without the plot linking her back to Magnus and Druitt, she doesn't have much going for her, she just seems shallow.

On the flip side, I thought it was kind of funny to see Major Lorne's face in there. That, and I totally didn't catch the Siler guy crossing over either.
                        -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

GCS d- s+: a--- C++++ U P+ L E--- W+(++) N o K- w O? M+ V? PS++ PE- Y+ PGP- t+ 5++ X R++ tv b(+) DI(+) D- G e>(++) h! r++ x?

------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                          I loved it

the differences between the webbies adn the movie were only noticible if you knew they were there.

i like it being fleshed out, will has a good back story, ties with the sanctuary going back 30 years. i like that ashley doesn't know about daddy. ashley is a bit more buffed and prettied up, but not quite as ott, which is a welcome reprieve. she got on my nerves in the webbies.

i like how kavan's role was expanded, and it was fun to see siler show up (he was a cop in the tunnels that got beat up by ashley)

interesting new twist about helen's blood and cool foreshadowing about the 'Five'

it's off to a good start
                          The extra backstory for Will was great, to see what kind of life he'd leave behind by working for Magnus. And seeing more of Kavan is always fun.

I also liked the more expanded relationship between Helen and Ashley, a bit softer and closer than it felt in the webisodes.

I also liked the bit with Helen's blood and Druitt singing about 'The Five'. The reunion between Helen and Druitt was great, as was Will confronting Magnus about not being able to save his mother.

As much as I loved it, I did see what some critics have been saying about the pacing being rather slow. They had a lot of stuff to set-up and several storylines to handle, but now that that's done they can hopefully pick up the pace and streamline the storytelling a bit.

I can't wait to see more.

sigpic

Comment

I liked it! I think it was a good premiere, and to be honest, much better than I expected for a premiere. I want to know more about the characters. It will probably take a few episodes before Sanctuary hits its stride, but that only makes sense.

So far, so good!

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                              The extra backstory for Will was great, to see what kind of life he'd leave behind by working for Magnus. And seeing more of Kavan is always fun.

I also liked the more expanded relationship between Helen and Ashley, a bit softer and closer than it felt in the webisodes.

I also liked the bit with Helen's blood and Druitt singing about 'The Five'. The reunion between Helen and Druitt was great, as was Will confronting Magnus about not being able to save his mother.

As much as I loved it, I did see what some critics have been saying about the pacing being rather slow. They had a lot of stuff to set-up and several storylines to handle, but now that that's done they can hopefully pick up the pace and streamline the storytelling a bit.

I can't wait to see more.
                              Yeah I really liked Will's back story... especially when we find out Helen was there and Will like you said confronted her on it... That whole scene was great and lots of revelations!

Helen ans John's scenes are always filled with wonderful chemistry... it's intense. I like the insights for future episodes.

Yep I'm looking forward to more as well

Comment

Working...
                              X