This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My fears for SGU

I've realized today I have spent a heck of a lot of time defending Stargate Universe, yet haven't expressed my concerns for the show. Mine are relatively simple, and some or all might be opinion based -- so feel free to defend SGU or agree or whatever. ;-) The internet should remain a free place to say what you want, and you wont hurt my feelings either way.

Fear Number One:

A lot of the reason I love the idea of Universe is I think we will learn a lot about the Stargate Universe. We will learn about the 9th Chevron, we will learn more about the ancients. Thats all well and good. But one thing I have always loved about Stargate is the fact it's wrapped up in Earth mythology. To me it's one way to grab ones attention. Take something like the pyramids and make them landing pads for spaceships, that's just wild. But make something like the Crystal Skulls a gift from some spiritual race and thats a whole other thing. It's just....crazy. Makes you kinda wonder about these things.

Now that alone isn't my fear. The reason I love these things is because it keeps you interested in the show. Makes you want to learn more about, say for example, the Furlings. Sure, if they were some random alien we might not care about them. Make them friends with the two most powerful races we know, and yea, we're interested. yet make an episode like Paradise Lost and now we want to know more about them. Did they live on Earth once? Were they connected to the Mayans or Aztec? I mean, who knows! Thats part of the fun, they tease us with little stuff we do know and makes us want to keep watching.

Now that most of that is going to be gone, they have to find something else to fill the gap. That's partly why I am excited for more of a character driven show. Sure, it might turn into a wreck like Battlestar, but it may be just as fun as Lost or Heroes, which are also character driven. However, can the writers write like that? I wouldn't know, honestly, I think they are amazing but character driven plots are entirely different then plot driven or mythology driven. It just is. I'm not entirely sure I could do it, my stories are generally driven by the plot with the characters thrown into some sort of mix. I'm not saying they can't -- but I'm just wondering. And it could end up being a bad thing.

Fear Number Two:

It's ship based. Actually, that is going to be the cool part of this show. I believe we are going to see a lot of old style thinking, because anytime we are in a conflict, we are going to have to think outside the box to actually fight these big bad ships. Sure, Destiny might have weapons, but if we don't control the direction of the ship or what it does, weapons might not be useful if we are sitting ducks. And I have a feeling we are going to face some pretty powerful bad guys.

My fear is that the writers have to deal with the crew trying to fix this. Trying to gain control of the ship. And the characters will find a way, and the writer will have to do it. What I mean? People complain that Atlantis found a way back to Earth. However it's human nature to want to get back. We'll, that human nature of wanting to be home will still be there. The way to do that is to control the ship's navigation. I bet they will find it, the question is when? If they find it by the second or third season, they might be so far away they have no way how to go home. Then it comes to a power source powerful enough to go so far...but even then, could they go back?

But even if they couldn't go back, then we still have control of the ship and that will allow for new story plot devices and allow for some recycled plots. It will also destroy a lot of cool episode ideas. Like an alien ship coming to attack the Destiny, and we have to find something to give us the underhand. With us controlling the ship, we have the ship to move about and could avoid fire while attacking them with whatever weapons we have.

See what I'm getting at? SGU being ship-based is a strength as it is. The writers job is to hinder the characters ability at controlling the ship for as long as possible. Hopefully they can do a better job at this then they did with Atlantis. Which, I'm relatively convinced they can.

And thats really my fears. Stargate Universe greatest strengths can be it's greatest weakness. I think this show, to please the fans, is going to be extremely hard for the writers and if they can manage to get a new audience while keeping the current one happy, it will prove that they can still write a good show. Otherwise, they still have a lot to learn. Oh, and a lot to prove.

With all that said, I still believe even with these fears, and even if they don't do what I want, that the show will be good and I will still watch it every week next summer. ;-) Can't miss my new favorite show, right?

Comment

^^^^^^^
      i smell spam

i personally believe atlantis was cut off too soon.
      but, when we first heard of atlantis, i'm sure there were the skeptical ones. but it turned out all right, didnt it?
      im sure universe will turn out all right as well.
      we're just going through that same "stage" as when it was rumored the cancellation of sg1 and a new spinoff called atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by Cylinder View Post
        ^^^^^^^
        i smell spam

i personally believe atlantis was cut off too soon.
        but, when we first heard of atlantis, i'm sure there were the skeptical ones. but it turned out all right, didnt it?
        im sure universe will turn out all right as well.
        we're just going through that same "stage" as when it was rumored the cancellation of sg1 and a new spinoff called atlantis.
        Spam? What do you mean spam? What exactly am I advertising?

Comment

My biggest fears:

Originally posted by One of my previous postings
          I will watch the first few episodes of "Stargate: Universe", curiosity driven, but I vow to myself to never watch another, "Oh my god! Did you see them together last night?" -- "I thought Jimmy was with Karen? Why was he with Barbara?' -- "Wait until Karen gets a load of this." -- "I almost put him into a torpedo tube. I was so mad!" -- "Lets go save the universe!" -- "Stargate away!"

"Did you see the size of his muscles?" -- "Yeah. He was so cute. I could just pinch his cheeks." -- "I hope he picks me over her." -- "Wait! She is in love with Carol?" -- "When did she stop driving stick?" -- "There is the red alert. I will talk to you later." -- "Bye, bye now!"

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Marcus View Post
            My biggest fears:
            I don't think they are going to do that, however if they do I will never watch Stargate again. But I'm sure it ain't going to happen.

Comment

I fear that Stargate Universe just won't beable to deliever on what makes stargate great. All of this is just based on only what I already know on SGU. I will gladly admit I was to fast to jump to conclusions if they can actually deliever on SGU. But just with what I know here i go...

Only good thing about Stargate Universe is that it appears it will focus on exploring new worlds. Later on in SG-1 & Atlantis they both drastically cut back on there exploring new worlds & people. I do like that they appear to really focus on that. But by having them stuck on this ship that can't change its destination it really causes problems. It will probably make it feel even more detached from nowadays than Atlantis does now. Which takes away a big part of why Stargate is very successful.

Also being stuck on a ship that can't change its destination also means probably less of a chance of seeing a good recurring cast of new alien allies. Later part of SG1 & most of Atlantis really seem to drift away from a good set of recurring alien allies. Again another problem is we won't be seeing people on these new planets who already have used a stargate before. So there is going to be no connections between the planets we meet. That seems like it would get boring fast.

And last problem i got is with that main character casting list. They have no archeologist character as a main character (major let down). And than we get into: will they put a main character from SG1 Or SGA? If they do than that means that character won't appear in the movies of the previous show (SG1 or SGA). If they dont use any of them it will only help make the show seem nothing like the fans like. SGA wasn't as detached as what SGU seems like it will be. It seems they want to have SGU as far away as possible from earth and very very little if any contact with them for a long while (just my assumption from what I have read). So they would need a major character(s) from SGA and/or SG1 to help make up it being so detached.

In the end it just seems SGU's basic story & the new direction the creators want to take will hurt SGU's chances of surviving long.

Comment

My fears are quite different..

For one, I just dont care much about character-based stuff. Its the concepts and fictional science that really get me excited. At least in SG1 they managed to find a good balance between the character stuff and concept, SGA was a bit too character-focussed for me and since I only liked one of those characters it didnt seem as interesting or exciting to me.

Younger people, well I wanted even older than we had now. I'm bored of "young and pretty" people in shows in general, id rather see patrick stewart, sylvester mccoy and william b davis type actors - ones who have an aged look, experience and alot of character. These younger people are gonna have to be VERY good actors for me to like them.

Aliens/Enemies, I'm just hoping with the increased budget we'll actually see aliens that look interesting (i.e. not just men in suits/makeup). Since we'ere out in the whole universe, id like to see some crazy looking creatures that make me go "wow" when I see them, because iv never seen anything like that before. If they are just humanoids/bipeds, its going to bore me (just like the wraith did).

Less sci-fi. I like sci-fi because I like fictional science, concepts that incite my imagination and make me go "wow that is a great idea/concept". I liked SG1 and some Atlantis for that too, if theres less of that im not going to find it appealing personally.

EDIT :

I nearly forgot, I also hope the alien worlds they visit arent Forests in Canada. With the whole universe to see, id hope they do some really great alien worlds that are a visual treat to look at. Again, hopefully the bigger budget will make this a possibility..even if its occasional.
                Last edited by Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab; 18 September 2008, 07:54 AM.
                Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
                Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

Shows with a strong element of mystery and exploration always hook me. That's what got me into Star Trek, that's what hooked me on Stargate. If there isn't that element of mystery in Universe, I'll probably have a very hard time watching the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasond22303 View Post
                    I fear that Stargate Universe just won't beable to deliever on what makes stargate great. All of this is just based on only what I already know on SGU. I will gladly admit I was to fast to jump to conclusions if they can actually deliever on SGU. But just with what I know here i go...

Only good thing about Stargate Universe is that it appears it will focus on exploring new worlds. Later on in SG-1 & Atlantis they both drastically cut back on there exploring new worlds & people. I do like that they appear to really focus on that. But by having them stuck on this ship that can't change its destination it really causes problems. It will probably make it feel even more detached from nowadays than Atlantis does now. Which takes away a big part of why Stargate is very successful.

Also being stuck on a ship that can't change its destination also means probably less of a chance of seeing a good recurring cast of new alien allies. Later part of SG1 & most of Atlantis really seem to drift away from a good set of recurring alien allies. Again another problem is we won't be seeing people on these new planets who already have used a stargate before. So there is going to be no connections between the planets we meet. That seems like it would get boring fast.

In the end it just seems SGU's basic story & the new direction the creators want to take will hurt SGU's chances of surviving long.
                    Wow, never thought of those things before. Hmmm

Originally posted by Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab View Post
                    My fears are quite different..

For one, I just dont care much about character-based stuff. Its the concepts and fictional science that really get me excited. At least in SG1 they managed to find a good balance between the character stuff and concept, SGA was a bit too character-focussed for me and since I only liked one of those characters it didnt seem as interesting or exciting to me.

Younger people, well I wanted even older than we had now. I'm bored of "young and pretty" people in shows in general, id rather see patrick stewart, sylvester mccoy and william b davis type actors - ones who have an aged look, experience and alot of character. These younger people are gonna have to be VERY good actors for me to like them.

Aliens/Enemies, I'm just hoping with the increased budget we'll actually see aliens that look interesting (i.e. not just men in suits/makeup). Since we'ere out in the whole universe, id like to see some crazy looking creatures that make me go "wow" when I see them, because iv never seen anything like that before. If they are just humanoids/bipeds, its going to bore me (just like the wraith did).

Less sci-fi. I like sci-fi because I like fictional science, concepts that incite my imagination and make me go "wow that is a great idea/concept". I liked SG1 and some Atlantis for that too, if theres less of that im not going to find it appealing personally.

EDIT :

I nearly forgot, I also hope the alien worlds they visit arent Forests in Canada. With the whole universe to see, id hope they do some really great alien worlds that are a visual treat to look at. Again, hopefully the bigger budget will make this a possibility..even if its occasional.
                    About your edit...I do too. And I believe thats one reason why they probably cancelled Atlantis, because brad did mention before that he said if he's going to do the show, he wants to do it right. And he couldn't see having the time nor the budget to do the show right. I assume he meant with the alien costumes/worlds...and lets continue to hope thats the case. Or just wait and see what they do. :-)

Comment

I'm still undecided if ill watch it - since I dont own a TV ill have to buy the DVD's, but I think from the limited info available it could go either way for me personally in that it could be just the kinda thing I watch to invest time in or something that just isnt my cup of tea.

I think with a better budget though, it could make things I want like alien worlds and aliens themselves that I want to see. If its got those awesome weird aliens - you know something as cool looking as say the creatures from the cthulhu mythos or in tv, daleks or vorlons ill probably enjoy it on that alone. So I guess whatever aliens they encounter will be the make/break for me. What can I say ? I love things that are out of this world hopefully gateworld will post pictures of whatever new villains come out - and that will be what I use to see if I should buy the DVDs or not.
                      Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
                      Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

Working...
                      X