Scary!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scary!!!

actually, not really. What did y'all think of the "horror" elements of "Whispers"? I saw definate "the Ring" and "I am Legend" rip-offs. and the fog seemed a little dumb for a visual medium (couldn't see much the whole episode)

Wasn't that the point? By obscuring the vision of both the viewers and characters, no-one is sure of what they are facing. Sure, the fog may be a cliched plot device, but it was given a new twist in the sense that it was the earlier hybrid experiments producing the fog as a form of predatory weapon, as opposed to the fog being there for the sake of it and telling the viewers "ooo its foggy so it must be a scary episode tonight!".

Comment

Originally posted by DeRoest View Post
      actually, not really. What did y'all think of the "horror" elements of "Whispers"? I saw definate "the Ring" and "I am Legend" rip-offs. and the fog seemed a little dumb for a visual medium (couldn't see much the whole episode)
      Once again...horror just does not belong as a main element in the Stargate: Atlantis franchise. Of course, to be sure, the character of Michael and his experimentation invites horrific elements...and that would be realistic. But for an entire episode to consist of nothing but horror genre cliches, radical feminist crap characters, bad writing in general, and a lack of use of Cast Regulars whom fans have come to love while instead featuring lack-luster B*&% women who everyone wishes had died during this episode...is just flat out irresponsible, stupid, and aggravating.

Once again I have to say I HATE Joseph Mallozi and Paul Mullie as Executive Producers of this show. Wasn't Paul Mullie the one who came up with the stupid idea that everyone hates Zelenka?

Sloppy, crappy writing all the way around. And! A sincere lack of understanding of the characters the way the fans see them.

Comment

What did y'all think of the "horror" elements of "Whispers"?
        They were laughable.

Terrible episode and not scary in the slightest.
        IMO always implied.

Comment

Terrible?! What about the acting? pacing? use of weather effects (the use of fog in this manner being an original element for an Atlantis episode)? You truly thought that these elements were terrible, along with everything else, to contribute to an overall awful episode?! I think you'd struggle to justify that objectively...

Comment

i loled
            Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
            sigpic

Comment

The only scary part was TPTB thought this would be a good episode.
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Klinjon View Post
                Wasn't that the point? By obscuring the vision of both the viewers and characters, no-one is sure of what they are facing. Sure, the fog may be a cliched plot device, but it was given a new twist in the sense that it was the earlier hybrid experiments producing the fog as a form of predatory weapon, as opposed to the fog being there for the sake of it and telling the viewers "ooo its foggy so it must be a scary episode tonight!".
                Good point. The Fog itself was not all that great...good new thing for Atlantis episode I guess. But, the fact that it was produced from their gills was one of my favorite elements of the episode. It did pique my interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Klinjon View Post
                  Terrible?! What about the acting? pacing? use of weather effects (the use of fog in this manner being an original element for an Atlantis episode)? You truly thought that these elements were terrible, along with everything else, to contribute to an overall awful episode?! I think you'd struggle to justify that objectively...
                  I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or genuine.

What about the acting? Nothing great in my book about it. It wasn't godawful terrible (well except for that cliched villager...especially right before he got eaten) but nothing there that conveyed any kind of terror. Though I suppose that is a plus as I sure didn't need to see any damsel in distress type acting since this was our big debut of the all female team. Overall the acting was ho-hum, imo.

The pacing was terrible. The episode went nowhere fast. Run around in the woods. Run around in some caves. Run around in some old abandoned village. Rinse. Repeat. They spent like what seemed to be half the episode looking for idiotic team members who would run off by themselves for no good reason.

Use of weather effects? lol. See this is where I can't be sure if you are being serious or not. I thought the overuse of the so-called "scary" fog was laughable. I suppose its use in this episode of SGA was "original" in that it blotted out everything else and there truly was very little to see.... Last season they turned the lights off to give the show that darker feel and this season they turned the lights off and added battery killing fog! to the mix. Brilliant!

I liked the show's use of "fog" much more in the episode "Home" back in season one. The lifeforms were the fog. Rather than the creatures being overgrown fog machines. lol.

Their little fogger trick wasn't all that effective seeing as how there were what 24 of them and only 6 of our guys and they only managed to take out one of ours. (The idiot villager doesn't count.) Michael gives them this tool but then fails to give them any kind of semblance of intelligence when it come to them then actually hunting and stalking their prey?? They were more like mindless automatons, imo, when they should have been utilizing some kind of pack mentality. The velociraptors in Jurassic Park were a whole heck of a lot scarier. Heck the Berzerker in Gears of War is scarier and you can clearly see it in the game, but it still hunts you with sound and smell because it's blind.

And let's not bring objectivity into this. Of course all this is just my opinion. I'm not here to bring some kind of objectivity to this board as a means to justify my opinions as the only correct opinion.
                  IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                    It wasn't godawful terrible
                    I beg to differ. It was godawful terrible. It was worse than godawful terrible. I admit, I am a bit biased against Atlantis in general (I am a "classic SG-1" kind of guy, and I consider Atlantis to be a departure to a very non-Stargate-like territory)- but this was officially the first episode in the entire series which I had genuine difficulty watching till the end.
                    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

I didnt really think the episode was terrifying, except for the fact that the ring scared the crap out of me the first time i saw it, and still does, so that one climbing up the well really scared me. And the I am legend rip off that was hovering over Carson. I actually thought that was much scarier than I am legend.
                      Spoiler:
                      Thank you, Sir.
                      For what?
                      For being here for me.
                      Always.

Indeed.
                      You say that a lot.
                      What?
                      "Indeed".
                      Do I?
                      Yeah.
                      I had not noticed.

I love you. I have loved you for a long time....

I didn't leave because I'd rather die myself than lose Carter.... because I care about her. A lot more than I'm supposed to.

Comment

Originally posted by DeRoest View Post

Oh yah....that was exactly what I had in mind when I saw the creatures arise from the well with that clicking sound!!

Comment

I don't watch horror movies, but caught the visual references from various horror movie commercials.

I was creeped out. In a good way. And I can sleep tonight.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                          O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Wow...What is with some people? You know it is okay to state something here and there, but constantly moaning that these episodes are crap is really tiresome. I mean for God sakes, what was so bad about this episode? There was suspense, continuance of a story arch, a new female team, and it allowed for some character development for Carson.

I think the episode had a few "startling" points here and there. Not terrifying, but there were a few moments where you began to wonder, "OMG...Something is gonna hop out, but I don't know when..." That is suspense. The episode kept me involved and constantly had me wonder when these creatures would jump out. I thought the shots were done nice. I think the mist contributed to the suspension because you couldn't see what was out there just as the characters couldn't so you were able to connect with the characters during this moment.

I have no problem with analysis, but people need to understand that there is a thing called a budget and a thing called time restraints. Only so much can be done with time and money and I think this was an excellent episode. I ain't a big fan of Mallozzi/Mullie episodes, however, I think this was done right and had me on the edge of my seat most of the time.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
                            and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

It was boring, after the episode finished I was still waiting for the horror bit of the show...Guess I gave to much credit.

It would have been much better had it been like saw 2 and they all woke up in michaels lab, and have to find a way out without getting killed in some trap or by a monster "Oh yes, there will be blood..."

But it was just terrible...

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

Working...
                              X