Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 265
  1. #41
    Major General
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,249

    Default Re: 'Inquisition' (513) General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by JeffKnight View Post
    I really think Woolsey came into his own on this episode. He showed true leadership and the kind of loyalty and resolve to see his team through to "victory" even if it meant the IOA and its policies be damned. We even get to have SG-1 past come back when the judge referred to Woolsey thinking that human life was just a numbers game (SG-1 Season 7: Heroes) and he was visibly upset by this reference.

    Very good for a clip/recap episode - especially since we got some MAJOR character development. This episode makes me hope we see Woolsey in the movies.

    And i thought it was about time the people of PG did something like this. I mean i was actually wanting something like this to happen since the whole replicator/asuran debacle... It would not have happened if we had not messed around, nor would the gates have exploded killing countless people from 2 eps ago...

    The simple fact that this was a witch hunt could also have swayed the judge.
    As evident by the woman's attitude. She was wanting to hold someone responsible, no matter what.

    The main thing that bugged me about this episode is how could primitive people build a castle-like building underground and burn fires letalone breathe in it without any kind of ventillation. Or did the Genii help them?
    My guess, since it was (as it seemed) the Genii who set it up, they helped out by lending one of their underground bunkers.

    The accusations were well thought out (though I wonder where they got some of their info).
    Probabily from the Genii..

    Ronon and Teyla's response - they see the accusations from a different perspective. I would have really loved to hear Teyla's response to the charges.
    Very true. I would have loved to see either her or Ronon get on the "stand" so to speak.

    Such as, I don't know, not keeping him on Atlantis. Or making the same mistake twice by turning him human again.
    Or better yet, putting a subcutaneous transmitter in him, so they oculd find him.

    That's very true. But should they be punished (exiled for the rest of their lives) for mistakes made while defending their lives?
    Some of that was, some of it was not. How was their messing with the reps not their fault, since it was them who brought the asurans down on everyone's head.
    Same with michael and the Hoffan drug.

    Delsana, why does it matter if the actors or characters smoke and drink? You act as if it were some kind of federal offense.
    To some, when they see role models (which like it or not, all actors and actresses wind up being regarded as) doing stuff like drinking and smoking, they feel it sends the wrong message.

    As for me. I liked the ep. I loved the concept, but hated some of the way they went with it, though i liked the Genii/bribery twist.

  2. #42
    Lieutenant Colonel Lythisrose's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Basking in the Sun
    Posts
    3,530

    Default Re: 'Inquisition' (513) General Discussion

    I liked this episode alot. It was well done for a clip show, (although more of Ronon and Teyla would have been nice).
    After all the silly shipping stuff they've been focusing on lately, this was refreshing and reminded me of quite a bit of good stuff from seasons past.
    And that ending really made me think of Boston Legal.
    Denny Crane, Denny Crane.

  3. #43
    Chief Master Sergeant Nadji's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    198

    Default Re: 'Inquisition' (513) General Discussion

    The Cigars and Scotch at the end had a very Boston Legal touch, which was amusing to see.

  4. #44
    Second Lieutenant Vis Uban's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Uhh...I should know this one...
    Posts
    425

    Default Re: 'Inquisition' (513) General Discussion

    As far as clip shows go, it was pretty good, with some good Woolsey moments, but I couldn't help thinking Weir would have been fantastic in his place. This would have been right up her alley..., and they said they had trouble coming up with storylines for characters like her!

    Ok, I have to say it, I know Pandora already has, but come on, I have to. That was a trial? One completely biased judge, one reasonable judge, and one bought-and-payed-for judge? And where was a jury? Shepard didn't even have a defense attorney until Woolsey showed up. Worse, the Pegasus litigation squad kept going on and on about due process! That wasn't due process; it was a drumhead trial! They wouldn't know due process if it walked up and said "I'm due process, but don't worry, you wouldn't know me."

    Not to mention the slightly ridiculous nature of the whole thing. The alliance of primitives seems to think they have the superior bargoning position? Their best threat was to not to trade with them anymore. Can't they just get their food from Earth or grow it themselves? Atlantis only has a couple of hundred people. Maybe the Expedition will feel more threatened when the Pegasus Alliance gets beyond the Medieval/Renaissance stage. Comparatively speaking, it's like Da Vince era Italy trying to threaten the modern US. I credit Woolsey for not laughing in his face.

    I don't mean to sound too callous; I agree that the people of Pegasus deserve at least an explanation for events in recent history, especially since they seem to have some strange ideas about it, but they could have definitely been just a little less confrontational about the whole thing.

    Finally, I'm not really a huge Teyla fan, but I think she could really have been used well here, seeing that she's the leader of an indigenous people in Pegasus. IMO, her perspective would have been more valuable to the "judges" than Shepherd's or Woolsey's.

  5. #45
    Lieutenant Colonel Pandora's_Box's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Evil League of Evil
    Posts
    4,626

    Default Re: 'Inquisition' (513) General Discussion

    Thank you, Vis! And here I thought I was alone on that front.

    Quite frankly, the fact that TPTB couldn't muster up the effort to make that a believable trial ruined the episode for me.

    There's so much that the Atlantis crew needs to be held accountable for and that's what we get instead?

    I know I shouldn't have expected more, after all, this is coming from the same writing crew that has written every single oversight committee as comprised of nothing more than fools looking to save their own a****. Why should this committee have been any different?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vis Uban View Post
    Finally, I'm not really a huge Teyla fan, but I think she could really have been used well here, seeing that she's the leader of an indigenous people in Pegasus. IMO, her perspective would have been more valuable to the "judges" than Shepherd's or Woolsey's.
    I suspect we'll get another round of Teyla fans screaming at the injustice of it all. And I don't blame them.

    She could have been especially useful in getting through to the woman on the council. There's an opportunity wasted.

  6. #46
    Second Lieutenant Vis Uban's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Uhh...I should know this one...
    Posts
    425

    Default Re: 'Inquisition' (513) General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
    Thank you, Vis! And here I thought I was alone on that front.

    Quite frankly, the fact that TPTB couldn't muster up the effort to make that a believable trial ruined the episode for me.

    There's so much that the Atlantis crew needs to be held accountable for and that's what we get instead?

    I know I shouldn't have expected more, after all, this is coming from the same writing crew that has written every single oversight committee as comprised of nothing more than fools looking to save their own a****. Why should this committee have been any different?
    Well, you know, great minds and all that.

    Honestly, I think they could have done so much more with this episode by making the judges much more convincing, three-dimensional characters. Actually have their questions come just a little too close to home, rather than being simplistic and cluttered with faulty information. They could have really made the episode interesting, instead, the "judges" just came off as biased and, well, slightly buffoonish, while our heroes sailed unscathed through the train wreck of the PA's truly horrible legal system. Ah, so much wasted potential...

  7. #47
    Colonel Col.Foley's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Back from Sabbatical in Thedas
    Posts
    5,576

    Default Re: 'Inquisition' (513) General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Vis Uban View Post
    Well, you know, great minds and all that.

    Honestly, I think they could have done so much more with this episode by making the judges much more convincing, three-dimensional characters. Actually have their questions come just a little too close to home, rather than being simplistic and cluttered with faulty information. They could have really made the episode interesting, instead, the "judges" just came off as biased and, well, slightly buffoonish, while our heroes sailed unscathed through the train wreck of the PA's truly horrible legal system. Ah, so much wasted potential...
    But our heroes nearly did not sail through unscathed. I would just like to point that out.
    In fact: They were hugely scathed if you ask me, now being tied to a political machine that will probably be out to get them in the near future.

  8. #48
    Lieutenant Colonel Pandora's_Box's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Evil League of Evil
    Posts
    4,626

    Default Re: 'Inquisition' (513) General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Col.Foley View Post
    But our heroes nearly did not sail through unscathed. I would just like to point that out.
    In fact: They were hugely scathed if you ask me, now being tied to a political machine that will probably be out to get them in the near future.
    Ah yes, in episodes we'll likely never see.

    That's just lazy writing; promising more drama in future episodes as a result of this trial. Well, I'm sorry. I didn't watch the episode that TPTB claimed to be the "accountability" episode to be promised a real "accountability" episode sometime in the near, possible future.

    The fact remains, Woolsey and Sheppard ended the episode by smoking cigars, drinking scotch, and toasting their victory over the nearly neanderthal-ic Pegasus inhabitants.

    Come on! What kind of judge pulls out the 'ole, "how do we really know you killed those Hive ships? You could just be saying that to win us over" retort?

    The kind that has done absolutely no research because, for that matter, how does anything anyone said during that trial actually hold up? It's all hearsay.

    Were the Wraith on some sort of timer that said they absolutely had to awaken only after a few more generations? Are these Pegasus folk prescient or did the Wraith set an alarm and let everyone know when it would go off?

    2 million people? Who came up with that number and how? After all, we know one judge is biased, who's to say that they didn't "exaggerate" the figures?

    For Pete's sake, they can't even decide on who's story about the Genni is true!!!

  9. #49
    Second Lieutenant Vis Uban's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Uhh...I should know this one...
    Posts
    425

    Default Re: 'Inquisition' (513) General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Col.Foley View Post
    But our heroes nearly did not sail through unscathed. I would just like to point that out.
    In fact: They were hugely scathed if you ask me, now being tied to a political machine that will probably be out to get them in the near future.
    Good point, at the end of the episode I myself was thinking that tying themselves to the Pegasus Alliance was a horrible idea. Anyone else think of the word "leech?"

    I was speaking more from an ethical standpoint. Atlantis has clearly made some controversial decisions in the last five years, and speaking about these choices could have made the episode more interesting, not to mention uncomfortable for the main characters, IMO.

  10. #50
    Colonel Col.Foley's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Back from Sabbatical in Thedas
    Posts
    5,576

    Default Re: 'Inquisition' (513) General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
    Ah yes, in episodes we'll likely never see.

    That's just lazy writing; promising more drama in future episodes as a result of this trial. Well, I'm sorry. I didn't watch the episode that TPTB claimed to be the "accountability" episode to be promised a real "accountability" episode sometime in the near, possible future.

    The fact remains, Woolsey and Sheppard ended the episode by smoking cigars, drinking scotch, and toasting their victory over the nearly neanderthal-ic Pegasus inhabitants.

    Come on! What kind of judge pulls out the 'ole, "how do we really know you killed those Hive ships? You could just be saying that to win us over" retort?

    The kind that has done absolutely no research because, for that matter, how does anything anyone said during that trial actually hold up? It's all hearsay.

    Were the Wraith on some sort of timer that said they absolutely had to awaken only after a few more generations? Are these Pegasus folk prescient or did the Wraith set an alarm and let everyone know when it would go off?

    2 million people? Who came up with that number and how? After all, we know one judge is biased, who's to say that they didn't "exaggerate" the figures?

    For Pete's sake, they can't even decide on who's story about the Genni is true!!!
    Because we will not get another season to the show, is why, we will never see them. The Powers that be are a lot better at weaving together story threads then most people give them credit for. This episode could have been better. It couldhave shown real accountabillity to. But, it is clear to me at least, that any judge, or jury, would give them an innocent vote for logically they have done nothing wrong. Except for with Micheal, and they have tried to fix that one.

  11. #51
    Colonel Col.Foley's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Back from Sabbatical in Thedas
    Posts
    5,576

    Default Re: 'Inquisition' (513) General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Vis Uban View Post
    Good point, at the end of the episode I myself was thinking that tying themselves to the Pegasus Alliance was a horrible idea. Anyone else think of the word "leech?"

    I was speaking more from an ethical standpoint. Atlantis has clearly made some controversial decisions in the last five years, and speaking about these choices could have made the episode more interesting, not to mention uncomfortable for the main characters, IMO.
    I do not think it was comfortable for Shep, at all, he just tried to hide it under his confidence that they would have gotten out of there. There was once or twice where it looked like the court scored a couple of points on him, his soul at least.

  12. #52
    Lieutenant Colonel Pandora's_Box's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Evil League of Evil
    Posts
    4,626

    Default Re: 'Inquisition' (513) General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Col.Foley View Post
    Because we will not get another season to the show, is why, we will never see them. The Powers that be are a lot better at weaving together story threads then most people give them credit for. This episode could have been better. It couldhave shown real accountabillity to. But, it is clear to me at least, that any judge, or jury, would give them an innocent vote for logically they have done nothing wrong. Except for with Micheal, and they have tried to fix that one.
    I'm not looking for a guilt verdict. I also don't happen to think they deserve one.

    My main issue remains with the characterization of the council members and the ridiculous premise of the "trial".

  13. #53
    Colonel Col.Foley's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Back from Sabbatical in Thedas
    Posts
    5,576

    Default Re: 'Inquisition' (513) General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
    I'm not looking for a guilt verdict. I also don't happen to think they deserve one.

    My main issue remains with the characterization of the council members and the ridiculous premise of the "trial".
    I do see your point.
    I guess my only counter is that they do not even need to be put on trial. But, you are right. I mean heck, I have admitted that the members could have been a lot better.

  14. #54
    Probie Daisy1974's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: 'Inquisition' (513) General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Briangate78 View Post

    BTW, do not tune into SCI FI next Friday, Ghost Plumbers is airing their horrible live special, imo and will likely require some true SCI FI fans to gouge out their eyes with lemons.

    *You've been warned, Atlantis returns in 2 weeks*
    Brian, telling people not to tune in next friday to Sci Fi is going going to hurt "The Ghost Plumbers", Sci Fi just gave them a fifth Season with 26 episodes and what did Atlantis Get, CANCELLED!!!!!

    Sci Fi loves Ghost Plumbers better then stupid old stargate! SCI FI GAVE GHOST HUNTERS A NEW SEASON AND CANCELED SGA! SCI FI LOVES THEM AND EUREKA NAD SANCTUARY BETTER THEN YOU!

    Sorry! after watching the garbage to night I decided the show was not worthing watching anymore and I wont wont cry a single tear when it's gone., I"LL PARTY!!!!!

  15. #55
    Second Lieutenant Vis Uban's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Uhh...I should know this one...
    Posts
    425

    Default Re: 'Inquisition' (513) General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Col.Foley View Post
    I do not think it was comfortable for Shep, at all, he just tried to hide it under his confidence that they would have gotten out of there. There was once or twice where it looked like the court scored a couple of points on him, his soul at least.
    They may have scored some points, but the judges, their personalities and the manner in which they acted, were never actually convincing. They were just too two dimensional to fulfill their roles. You could have had a cardboard cutout of each judge. One expression really describes them pretty well. Have one appear thoughtful, one glare viciously, and give the last a slight gleam of avarice, and you're set.

    I certainly didn't want the team convicted either, but the trial could have been done so much better. Good point though, about Shepard's reaction. I would have loved to see him in place of Woolsey when they brought up Weir.

  16. #56
    Colonel Col.Foley's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Back from Sabbatical in Thedas
    Posts
    5,576

    Default Re: 'Inquisition' (513) General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Vis Uban View Post
    They may have scored some points, but the judges, their personalities and the manner in which they acted, were never actually convincing. They were just too two dimensional to fulfill their roles. You could have had a cardboard cutout of each judge. One expression really describes them pretty well. Have one appear thoughtful, one glare viciously, and give the last a slight gleam of avarice, you're set.

    I certainly didn't want the team convicted either, but the trial could have been done so much better.
    Agreed.
    Two things that are really sad though about this. One, no one is JMS, JMS is his own pedestal of grand writing...if he can't do it...no one can...he probably be brilliant with this though.
    Secondly, we do only have a fourty five minute window. I would love for them to write it better, and they seem to have a problem sometimes fitting in everything they want. But they have only so little time to get into anything indepth, and is beyond a few cliches. Unless you are the above mentioned.
    That would have been awesome...I think he would maybe have lost it.

  17. #57
    Staff Sergeant
    Member Since
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    73

    Default Re: 'Inquisition' (513) General Discussion

    I have been waiting for this episode. From the beginning I wondered what gave them the right to come to another galaxy and cause the dealths of millions. They did feel bad about it when they thought about it. The people just didn't really mean a lot to them. Remember how disrespectful and dismissive they were of Teyla and her people in the beginning. They always treated the natives as unintelligent an if they had to make decision for all the people of the galaxy. I never understood how Teyla or Ronon could work with them without some resentment. Then Shep go on to say that the people of the Pegasus galaxy should be thankful for their help. I love the show just for the sci fi quality and try not to think about it. In the beginning I was sure I wasn't going to like Woosley or Keller. But as it turn out I really like Woosley. Keller not so much.

  18. #58
    Lieutenant Colonel Pandora's_Box's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Evil League of Evil
    Posts
    4,626

    Default Re: 'Inquisition' (513) General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Col.Foley View Post
    Agreed.
    Two things that are really sad though about this. One, no one is JMS, JMS is his own pedestal of grand writing...if he can't do it...no one can...he probably be brilliant with this though.
    Secondly, we do only have a fourty five minute window. I would love for them to write it better, and they seem to have a problem sometimes fitting in everything they want. But they have only so little time to get into anything indepth, and is beyond a few cliches. Unless you are the above mentioned.
    JMS? Who is JMS?

    Yeah, I can see how the time frame is problematic, but it's not like it would have been impossible. Crime procedurals wouldn't be nearly as popular as they are if it were impossible.

  19. #59
    Colonel Col.Foley's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Back from Sabbatical in Thedas
    Posts
    5,576

    Default Re: 'Inquisition' (513) General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
    JMS? Who is JMS?

    Yeah, I can see how the time frame is problematic, but it's not like it would have been impossible. Crime procedurals wouldn't be nearly as popular as they are if it were impossible.
    Jay. Micheal. Strazynsky. Creator/ Executive Producer/ Head writer to Babylon 5.

  20. #60
    Lieutenant Colonel Pandora's_Box's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Evil League of Evil
    Posts
    4,626

    Default Re: 'Inquisition' (513) General Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Col.Foley View Post
    Jay. Micheal. Strazynsky. Creator/ Executive Producer/ Head writer to Babylon 5.
    Would you kill me if I admitted that I've never watched Babylon 5?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. 'Whispers' (507) General Discussion
    By GateWorld in forum Whispers
    Replies: 416
    Last Post: April 5th, 2018, 04:26 PM
  2. 'The Seed' (502) General Discussion
    By GateWorld in forum The Seed
    Replies: 535
    Last Post: April 4th, 2016, 08:29 PM
  3. Replies: 351
    Last Post: October 26th, 2008, 05:51 AM
  4. General Discussion
    By P38LOVER in forum Star Trek
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 13th, 2005, 02:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •