Everything Star Wars Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by *RA
    Ahh man, I thought it was the original trilogy that they released on dvd, I've seen the special edition in the theaters, I would rather stick with the original. Does anyone know if the original will come to dvd and if so when?

it'll come out eventually, when lucas decides that he needs more money.

there are a lot of 'purists' out there that don't like the added footage. Eventually, finances will dictate that he cater to them.

It'll jsut be a few years, gotta milk this one and movie 3 first.

revenge of the sith will be in theaters, then on dvd for christmas next year, then next spring a boxed set, with all new features to get you to buy that, then maybe some anniversary version. Maybe 2007, an anniversary year
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
      it'll come out eventually, when lucas decides that he needs more money.
      I wouldn't count on it. I don't buy the "Lucas does it for the money" thing. If that was the case, he wouldn't have had to make any changes to the movies this time - this is the first time they're released on DVD, after all, and they were already the most eagerly awaited DVDs ever. It would sell like crazy regardless.

Also: Notice that the changes has not been mentioned in the marketing of this release at all. The fans have had to find out for themselves. If the motivation behind the changes was publicity -> sales, the changes would certainly have been showcased in the trailers/commercials and everything...

I see no real reason to doubt Lucas when he says the changes he's been making have been done in order to bring the films more in line with how he envisioned them, but didn't have the budget, time or technology to do in the first place. The documentary on the bonus disc goes a long way in supporting this - I certainly never knew the production on the original movie was that troubled. Agree with Lucas' reasons or not, but he's not lying about them.
      Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

UP's right. And I also think that (unless Lucas went totally bankrupt or something) even the filthy lucre couldn't persuade him to allow release of the original originals again. He's said as much in the past - that he doesn't want anyone seeing the originals again, cos they're not 'right'

Madeleine

Comment

Time will tell. I'm just tired of the endless versions of things in an effort to get the completiest among us to shell out money for the fifth copy of the same thing

sigpic

Comment

I think that you'd be better off looking online for a set of the original originals.
            A Quick Word from the Far Side of the Galaxy

Comment

To be fair, Lucas catches a lot more flak for doing that than other people who do the same thing do. And he's nowhere near the worst of the bunch. Heck, the original Stargate movie has already been released three times on DVD in America alone. And only the latest version is of acceptable quality... At least Lucasfilm got it right the first time around.
              Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Well, if it was up to Brad Wright and Robert C Cooper And Jonathan Glassner when he helped with the original launch of Stargate SG-1, they would have done the movie a little different to make it flow better with the show. (like not having Anubis and Horus in the movie. Plus they would have stepped up the visual effects a little more, IMO.
                Red counter: 14 Dings and growing.

Green (positive) JELLO donations are always welcome

Mckay: Oh my god, He IS Kirk...

Comment

I've never gotten why making the special editions are so bad. I'm all for re-vamping the special effects of a movie, just as long as the movie's plot remains almost untouched. Star Wars really didn't have any major plot changes, and most of the bickering is just pointless. The prequels however... that's another story. I think that they rely way too much on CGI and poor writing. The storyline isn't bad though.

Comment

the prequils have falled victim to too little story in too much movie

IMHO, movie 1 shoulda been establishing the jedi/republic
                    movie 2, establishing the sith
                    movie 3, the whole anakin/amadala thing

I mean, face it, we all know how movie 3 is gonna end, at least in its basic plot. The only surprise is what will the b storyline b

sigpic

Comment

I bought the dvd set as well , Not bad ! Its a good deal for your money 54 $ canadian. You get the three movies and the extras in disc 4 plus that Starwars battlefront demo.

Lucas bassically corrected some continuity , Boba fetts voice is now the same as Jango (clone). Fetts lines are so few you couldnt tell the difference.
                      I like all the changes except the Han solo Greedo thing , Thats just silly.

Some of the changes are not noticiable enough to complain , Unless you are completely excentric."Its not like Luke is a lizard and Han solo was turned into a women or somthing"!

My only complaint is that they didnt have deleted scenes, They showed some slide pics with a few deleted scenes shown but not as a movie.

They will probaily have a another "anniversary edition thing" with those deleted scenes of Biggs and Lukes freinds on Tattoine and maybe the original theatrical release versions, I think Fox is more to blaim for this all the studios are ripping people off with these mock up "special editions and directors cuts" That dont offer much more but just enough of an excuss to have a new release with a new price.Most of them startrek movie dvd releases are a sham to grab cash , Look they had startrek generations on DVD it didnt have any of those much needed deleted scenes it was just a butt naked release with very few extras. Then they release a new "special edition" with a load of garbage squeezed in and then finally add those The two Alternate endings were kirk lives and one were he dies in a different way ,A alternate intro were Kirks does his orbital sky dive,But thats all they need to make a "special edition" just add 4-6 extras the original release didnt have and fish hook them in. The only startrek film with a truly meaningful "directors cut" is TMP were it was kind of like Starwars SE.
                      The Egyptian Cat God .

Comment

Is anyone here a fan of any of the Star Wars: Clone Wars novels, Comics or cartoons? What do you think of the things that have been coming out, and what do you want to see?

Two new books just came out, Jedi Trial and Republic Commando.

The website that I work for, The Unofficial Clone Wars Site, has just posted two interviews, one with Medstar writer Michael Reaves, the other with Karen Traviss, the author of Republic Commando.
                        http://www.starwarz.com/clonewarseu

Comment

i really like the cartoons that aired on cartoon network......they were great little clips.....

i think it's sad that these little 4 min animation blocks have been better than either of the 2 movies.......

haven't read any of the pre-history books at all........

edit - uh yah....that was embarassing....you know where my head was at this morning......
                          Last edited by yaaayoubetcha; 27 October 2004, 12:34 PM.
                          Thanks!
                          Jordan

my page
                          My LJ
                          From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Originally posted by yaaayoubetcha
                            i really like the cartoons that aired on cartoon network......they were great little clits.....

i think it's sad that these little 4 min animation blocks have been better than either of the 2 movies.......

haven't read any of the pre-history books at all........
                            clits?

Comment

I wasn't a big fan of the cartoon episodes, the only one that I really enjoyed was the one with the ARC Troopers kicking ass.

If you want pre-history, check out the timeline/battles on that site, it's pretty complete.

Comment

I watch the toon series on Hyperspace, collect the comic books. Man, I have so many: Clone Wars, Volumes 1-4. I don't have any books though. I read the NJO series, Thrawn Crisis trilogy, Hand of Thrawn duology this summer. But no Clone Wars books.

I did however own Clone Wars on the PS2, but I sold it to buy an XBox controller.

Jack: Is mental illness contagious?
                                Daniel: This has been disturbing on many levels.
                                "Trandoshan eliminated...with extreme prejudice." - Scorch RC-1262
                                My deviantART profile

Comment

Working...
                                X