Everything Star Wars Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything Star Wars Thread

...well, I know a lot of people would shoot me for saying this, but here's the deal: I prefer the newer Star Wars than the old ones. This is probably because I love the special effects of the newer ones, and maybe because I just understand the storyline better.

But everytime I mention it, I get yelled at for not appreciating the classic ones and blah dee blah, and that I should like the old ones better.

I understand it is a matter of opinion, but so far, I haven't met anyone else that likes the newer films in comparison to the old ones. And so my question, who else out there prefers the new Star Wars trilogy than the old ones?

(",) Gater

Kawoosh! Stargate Music Videos
    http://kawoosh.co.uk

Gater on LJ
    http://puddlejumping.co.uk

I don't read. I vid.

I can possibly understand how someone could be upset. Without the old stories(movies) then there would have not been the new. It is rather rude to yell at anyone having an opinion. So what if it is not the same as mine.

My answer to your question. I love the new just as much as the old but for different reasons. The old, for the awesome storyline and the great imagination. The newer for filling in all those questions on the already great story line. Also love the eye candy as well. We got to see what a jedi is capable of. So to keep this short, I beleive that in the end they are all dear to me for many reasons.

Comment

I never was a big Star Wars fan. I have just recently in the last year seen the originals. Just last week I watched Episodes I & II for the first time and loved them. The first three were alright but I think the new ones are much better. Its not because of the effects (hate when people say that). I think there a little over done but I do think Its a better story. Ep II Is the best, I loved seeing Anikan (spelled wrong?) start his evil turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrathox
        I never was a big Star Wars fan. I have just recently in the last year seen the originals. Just last week I watched Episodes I & II for the first time and loved them. The first three were alright but I think the new ones are much better. Its not because of the effects (hate when people say that). I think there a little over done but I do think Its a better story. Ep II Is the best, I loved seeing Anikan (spelled wrong?) start his evil turn.
        It's Anakin.
        Also theres an interesting conversation on the subject on at stardestroyer.net. But be warned SD.Net i not a PG forum.
        http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?t=47298
        sigpic
        Banner By JME2

Comment

I enjoy my Star Wars, but save for a few short moments...Eps I and II are just awful movies in general, Star Wars or non.
          "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

I like the prequels, but not better than the 'classic trilogy'. I'm looking forward to the day when it will be complete - a full six movie saga, not "the old films" and "the new films".
            Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

pay no attention to rude people who tell you which movies to like - they're stupid. i will say that i think the stories & characters in the originals were better, but if you like the prequels good for you, i'm not going to yell at you or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by (",) Gater
                ...well, I know a lot of people would shoot me for saying this, but here's the deal: I prefer the newer Star Wars than the old ones. This is probably because I love the special effects of the newer ones, and maybe because I just understand the storyline better.

But everytime I mention it, I get yelled at for not appreciating the classic ones and blah dee blah, and that I should like the old ones better.

I understand it is a matter of opinion, but so far, I haven't met anyone else that likes the newer films in comparison to the old ones. And so my question, who else out there prefers the new Star Wars trilogy than the old ones?

Your opinions are just valid as anyone else's out there. You probably like the new look and feel to the newer Star Wars episodes and if you're like me, you like the political intrigue that goes along with the plot; the evolution of the Empire from the Republic and the posing, lying, and hiding of the Senator to Chancellor to Emperor. The old SW were revolutionary sci-fi and changed how we look at sci-fi, but they were techo westerns, space samurai fights, and medieval knights sword fights couched in a techo-mythical-good vs. evil kinda thing.

The newer ones really show us how it all happened. Sometimes sci-fi has a habit of spoon feeding you facts and info and expecting to you digest it without asking "why" or "how did it become liek this?" For me, I love to know the whys and hows and whens. The newer star wars give us that. Stargate does this too, but one bit at a time; it can be frustrating at times because I want to know more NOW, not later, but I guess patience comes with maturing, and I'm far from being mature

But I like the newer SW too! You're not alone dude.

Comment

Originally posted by (",) Gater
                  It's all just a matter of opinion and taste. I'm one of the ones who vastly prefers the original-original-original trilogy, but I would also agree with you that the FX in the newer Star Wars movies are vastly superior. How could they not be?

It also may depend on when you were first introduced to the concept of Star Wars. My six-year-old niece knows The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones word-for-word and she loves them, although she also watches the earlier ones on video. She is fond of telling people to "go re-examine your life" and I'm sure as she grows older the Star Wars story will be a fond part of her childhood.
                  Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                  O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                  - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                  - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                  once done, cannot be undone...
                  brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
                    It's all just a matter of opinion and taste. I'm one of the ones who vastly prefers the original-original-original trilogy, but I would also agree with you that the FX in the newer Star Wars movies are vastly superior. How could they not be?

It also may depend on when you were first introduced to the concept of Star Wars. My six-year-old niece knows The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones word-for-word and she loves them, although she also watches the earlier ones on video. She is fond of telling people to "go re-examine your life" and I'm sure as she grows older the Star Wars story will be a fond part of her childhood.
                    I think ur niece is a Goa'uld hehe. Now get her hooked on Stargate, and in a few years, she'll be finishing her doctorate from MIT like Lt. Col. Dr. Carter

Comment

I personally like all the films. When I saw Episode I all those years ago, I knew this was a setup story, designed to just put the pieces in place in the big game called the Star Wars Movie Series. We know who and how the game is won, but it would be nice to see why. The prequels answer those questions.

And personally, I'd rather take real Jedi fighting (Yoda vs. Dooku comes to mind--majorly sick and cool!) compared to old men and farmboys trying to do it.
                      I am on a mission to acquire the SG-1 DVDs, since I wish to know all about this great universe...

I have the original movie and Season 1 on DVD.

Update: I also have Seasons 2 and 3 on DVD.

I have seen the light! Please help me learn more!

Comment

Originally posted by Chevron 1
                        I personally like all the films. When I saw Episode I all those years ago, I knew this was a setup story, designed to just put the pieces in place in the big game called the Star Wars Movie Series. We know who and how the game is won, but it would be nice to see why. The prequels answer those questions.
                        I didn't really have any questions after Return of the Jedi. I always thought the game was played because it was "bad guys" vs. "good guys". Isn't it always?

And personally, I'd rather take real Jedi fighting (Yoda vs. Dooku comes to mind--majorly sick and cool!) compared to old men and farmboys trying to do it.
                        I agree that the Yoda/Dooku fight was more exciting than Vader/ObiWan in the Death Star, but that relates entirely to the advancements in special effects. There was a magic and wonder in the original three that seems to be lacking or forced in the more recent ones...IMO, of course.

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."

Comment

Everybody gets to like what they like. If you like the current trilogy better, great. I prefer the original trilogy because I cared for those characters more. You can't really invest allot in cute little Anikan because you know what a monster he'll grow up being. It would be like trying to do a story on a 10 year old Adolph Hitler, and trying to get people to be symapthetic. Plus, it's hard to get yourself reved up over the love story, because we know that will turn out bad too. Anyway, my $.02 on why I like the originals best.
                          Carter: Navigation? O'Neill: Check. Carter: Oxygen, Pressure, Temperature Control?
                          O'Neill: Check. Carter: Internal Dampeners? O'Neill: Cool!, and Check. Carter: Engine?
                          O'Neill: All Check. O'Neill: Phasers? Carter: Sorry Sir.

Comment

That's a good point. We already know the outcome of the love story, so that's kind of depressing. Anakin The Younger was an evil little monster in the movie, so it was easy to see him as Anakin The Elder.

Comment

The new ones don't feel as revolutionary as the old ones. These new ones are just tons of special effects with a pretty pointless storyline.

Comment

Working...
                              X