Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VFX critique for the shrine

STRONG POINTS:

1. long shot of the team, on top of the gate in a vast glacial lake.

not only have we rarely seen a shot like this, it was executed flawlessly. the desolate landscape, combined with the glow of the event horizon underwater was breathtaking. even at that distance, we can clearly make out each character, including john standing up to take in the scene himself!

2. parasite exits rodney's head

okay, gross. super gross, i loved it! very nice texturing on the bug and squished very nicely.

WEAK POINTS:

1. camera graphics

okay, when rodney is speaking into the camera, the time does not change, nor does the dot on the timeline below. a little blinking red light would be nice too. i was very surprised to see this, it would be so easy to have done!

2. life signs detector.

when keller describes the parasite moving within rodney's head, the display on the life signs detector does not move. it would have added a lot, i think to do this, and very easy to accomplish.

other than that, masterful work as usual.
    the flaws only stand out because of the normal high-quality work and attention to detail.

I was most impressed by the long scene of McKay and Sheppard sitting on the pier while drinking. Super green-screen shots like that normally come off quite fake on a TV budget and I was happily surprised at how well that shot was done.

Very nice.
    sigpic
    http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by grime View Post
      1. camera graphics

okay, when rodney is speaking into the camera, the time does not change, nor does the dot on the timeline below.
      I'm pretty sure it does actually, I remember specifically looking for that and seeing that it did.

Comment

Originally posted by grime View Post
        STRONG POINTS:

1. long shot of the team, on top of the gate in a vast glacial lake.

not only have we rarely seen a shot like this, it was executed flawlessly. the desolate landscape, combined with the glow of the event horizon underwater was breathtaking. even at that distance, we can clearly make out each character, including john standing up to take in the scene himself!

2. parasite exits rodney's head

okay, gross. super gross, i loved it! very nice texturing on the bug and squished very nicely.

WEAK POINTS:

1. camera graphics

okay, when rodney is speaking into the camera, the time does not change, nor does the dot on the timeline below. a little blinking red light would be nice too. i was very surprised to see this, it would be so easy to have done!

2. life signs detector.

when keller describes the parasite moving within rodney's head, the display on the life signs detector does not move. it would have added a lot, i think to do this, and very easy to accomplish.

other than that, masterful work as usual.
        the flaws only stand out because of the normal high-quality work and attention to detail.

I thought the effects where wonderful, especially the shots of the city on the pier and the parasite coming out of Rodney's head.

My one big complaint was the fact that Keller cut into Rodney's forehead with a scalp not a laser and considering how much head wounds bleed because of all the blood vessels they could have at least had some blood coming out. I laughed at the fact that there wasn't even ONE drop of blood during that whole procedure. With all of the wonderful visual effects couldn't they have had some blood?

Comment

Originally posted by luvmac View Post
          I thought the effects where wonderful, especially the shots of the city on the pier and the parasite coming out of Rodney's head.

My one big complaint was the fact that Keller cut into Rodney's forehead with a scalp not a laser and considering how much head wounds bleed because of all the blood vessels they could have at least had some blood coming out. I laughed at the fact that there wasn't even ONE drop of blood during that whole procedure. With all of the wonderful visual effects couldn't they have had some blood?
          Yeah the lack of blood was a mistake but a minor one and I think it was not shown mainly because of it being on network tv.
          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark View Post
            I'm pretty sure it does actually, I remember specifically looking for that and seeing that it did.
            No grime is correct. The time and date is different on each scene but the little dot never moves nor does the time but I wasn't paying that close attention to that minor detail. I was paying attention to David's excellent work.
            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

PIER SCENE = STRONG POINT!
              forgot about that one! beautiful compositing of some great atlantis CG.

NO BLOD = WEAK POINT! didn't even think about that one! more blood is always good, but, of course i can understand why we don;t get it. maybe in the movies?? here's hoping for an R rating!

Comment

The top of the waterfall looked fake. The water looked... cgi'd.
                sigpic
                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Actually, the dot does move. I just rewatched it and noticed. The time changes, also. It's in HH:MM format rather than MM: SS format. I'd post caps if I knew how to, but hopefully someone else can do that for me.

Comment

i watched it at my bff's house and she was impressed with the way it looked...
                    she was like "wow that looks totly real... who is the dude with the dreds???"
                    -ya shes not a stargate person but she loved the epp. she even cryed lol...

Comment

Working...
                    X