Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
    The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter

Default Re: 'Probie' Status for New Members

Quote Originally Posted by Crashbarrier View Post
    "Basic Trainee" when they meet a minimum threshold for posts, length of membership, Reputation.

sorry to ask this but i am curious.

What does this mean to "lurkers" like myself who just want to keep up with the news and views. I won't (and don't) have much in the way of "number of posts" and/or reputation because I don't actively post on the forums.

Does this mean I will never be able to edit my profile details?
    I wouldn't say never but Darren does have a formula that attributes all three factors. If two of said factors are near 0 ( posts anr rep) then it stands to reason that it would take longer for you to get off probie status then someone who posts more often.
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

Another point entirely is that if you never post, it's extremely unlikely that anyone's going to want to read your profile in the first place. This board is so big that I don't think anyone's going to look at the member list to check a profile out... Certainly I only look at a member's profile if I find at least one of their posts interesting.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maneth View Post
    Another point entirely is that if you never post, it's extremely unlikely that anyone's going to want to read your profile in the first place. This board is so big that I don't think anyone's going to look at the member list to check a profile out... Certainly I only look at a member's profile if I find at least one of their posts interesting.
    the 4,849 visits i have say other wise. the best part of a members profile is the VM wall.

Well, you have lots of posts too. The point being that one usually finds a member's profile through the posts, but if the member only lurks, they won't have any posts for others to find.

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

i would put forth, if they only ever lurk and don't post, then they don't seem to want to be an active participant in the forum in the first place. Thus would never need a profile.

As a "probie" I am not finding the restrictions are keeping me from enjoying the forum. I am looking forward to getting past this phase, but I find it faily easy to post even waiting on getting my posts "approved". I have found everyone friendly and have not felt like an outsider.

As long as the atmosphere towards newbies is warm when they post, which it is as far as I can tell, then a few restrictions until they are proved to be honarable seems reasonable. I am looking forward to having more freedom, but I am happy to wait until the moderators feel that I can be trusted not to be a pest.

If all new members were like you, starhearted, the probie system would be redundant. You'll get there eventually. Oh, and welcome aboard.

Quote Originally Posted by maneth View Post
    If all new members were like you, starhearted, the probie system would be redundant. You'll get there eventually. Oh, and welcome aboard.

<a href=http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43615&dateline=1271236653 target=_blank>http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php...ine=1271236653</a>

Thanks for the welcome and the encouragement. It easy to feel accepted here you and everyone else have been great.

drinking hot chocolate with cinammon on top

Hello! Just thought I'd put in my two cents whilst I'm drifting around the forum LOL.

I think the probie status is definitely a good idea - and indeed necessary. To be honest whilst it can be somewhat frustrating not to get your post up the second you post it, I think anyone who has a real desire to be integrated onto the forum and make new friends and discuss their views of shows will stick with it.

I've found that of the few threads I have visited so far the other members have been very welcoming and understanding of the delays in my replies - indeed I've met some of them before on different sites so it's actually quite nice to see familiar faces (so the speak).

I find it disheartening that there are people out there so terribly intent on making life for other people miserable, and making them have to work even harder than they already have been to maintain the dignity and pleasantness of their forum.

Why people need to go around spamming I will never understand it, but alas that's just one more mystery to add to the world

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ my fanfics ~ my twitter ~ teslen thread ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Don't mind the "Probie Status" I understand it I hate spammers, can't stand them emails n jizz bl**dy annoying, But it is irritating waiting for your post to actually be posted and but yeah =D

Captain

Ooooohhhhh! 'Kay, this answers a whole battery of questions I was about to ask. This makes a lot of sense - spammers are a pain!! The wait's a bit of a pain, but I'm willing to bear with it in the interest of keeping the forum relevant.

Probie

Default Cannot access my own profile!

Last time I logged in it also didnt work, but in my email there was some link to my profile which was similiar to http://forum.gateworld.net/cpuser.php
    it worked to go to profile, but I could never access my profile through the My Profile button at the top of the page.

now I cant find the e-mail anymore and cant access my profile at all.

Please help!!!

This is the message:

System Message

Sorry, Keinutnai! You do not have access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    If you've recently signed up, your new account may still be awaiting activation. Have you received your validation e-mail?
    Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    Only advanced members may add items to the Calendar. Check the FAQ for more info.

Nox Envoy
    (Moderator)

Default Re: Cannot access my own profile!

Probies can't visit their own or other Members Profiles,thanks to Spammers who forced GW to restrict access.

All you have to do is post and participate normally then after a while you'll go onto regular status.

Default Re: Cannot access my own profile!

Quote Originally Posted by Keinutnai View Post
    Aren't you simply looking for the user control panel link, aka "My Controls"? That links is very similar to the one you posted and it is http://forum.gateworld.net/usercp.php

so usercp instead of cpuser.

If not, just ignore me.

Staff Sergeant

I agree about having new members starting out as a "Probie". I will proudly wear my "Probie" button as a new member.

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kermee View Post
    I agree about having new members starting out as a "Probie". I will proudly wear my "Probie" button as a new member.
    i suggested "furling instead of "probie" but meh i lost

I've been highly active the past few days and suddenly I'm getting higher-than-probie access and my title is still "Probie"

For example, I added a signature, I can view others and my profile, etc.

Just wanted to let someone in charge know.

EDIT: Oh and I first noticed when I replied to a thread without moderator approval of my post.
    http://i44.tinypic.com/2gtxesi.gif
    I play Bad Company 2 on the PS3. If you do too, invite Xeno-

The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
    I've been highly active the past few days and suddenly I'm getting higher-than-probie access and my title is still "Probie"

For example, I added a signature, I can view others and my profile, etc.

Just wanted to let someone in charge know.

EDIT: Oh and I first noticed when I replied to a thread without moderator approval of my post.
    The title probie under your user name is different then probie status where a poster has a resticted posting access
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    The title probie under your user name is different then probie status where a poster has a resticted posting access
    Bit of confusing stuff there.
    Thanks for clearing it up.
    http://i44.tinypic.com/2gtxesi.gif
    I play Bad Company 2 on the PS3. If you do too, invite Xeno-