Why not... Star Trek: Enterprise - The Augments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not... Star Trek: Enterprise - The Augments

Ok why not, we have until Janruary so lets find something to talk about!

I used to think guys that kept track of what deck the transporter was on in Star Trek TOS were pretty silly. Here I go...

Now I tonights episode, Enterprise had to cruise into Klingon space to persue the Aug's in that stolen Bird Of Prey. They used the Universal Translator with some recently loaded "Klingon" dialects to fool a Klingon patrol.

Does anyone remember in Star Trek : The Undiscovered Country that they had to pull out the books to sound more Klingon. They specifically said they could not use the Translator because the listening post would know that they were not truely speaking Klingon.

I think its because after all the years of encountering klingons and communicating with them, the UT could be recognized for what it was. To sneak into klingon space, they needed a voice unlike the UT because it would be recognized. In enterprise, the klingons do not know the humans like the klingons in TUC did. They would think that the UT was just another voice, because they haven't encountered it often.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Servo
      I think its because after all the years of encountering klingons and communicating with them, the UT could be recognized for what it was. To sneak into klingon space, they needed a voice unlike the UT because it would be recognized. In enterprise, the klingons do not know the humans like the klingons in TUC did. They would think that the UT was just another voice, because they haven't encountered it often.
      I didn't think of in that light, that's a good point.

Comment

Ah! Somebody beat me to it this week!

"The Augments"

So, this ep was good, but not great for me. It did at least have the advantage of being the end to an arc, which just automatically increases my interest. But there was just something that felt slightly off about this one.

I was dissapointed that we didn't get an extra scene between Dr. Lucas and Phlox. I mean, they just met again for the first time in a while, and then that was it. I don't exactly know what the scene would have been, but it would've been nice.

No Phlox/Lucas scene, but I'll settle for a Trip/T'Pol one. Basically, this was to establish that "Yes, I want you, and you want me, but this other guy is in the way, so we can't bump tonight, but... we both know we want to." And that's great. Because I'm fully expecting that T'Pol's husband will kick the bucket within a few episodes, so we can get back to business with these guys. I don't know what the "Vulcan way" says about the aftermath of a spouse's death. Could be interesting.

The stuff toward the beginning was pretty cool though, with them blasting open the tunnel-thingy in the station and them transporting Archer just as he flies out into space. That transporter's gotten a lot more dependable lately....

I think this ep's strengths were with the two big guest stars, Alec Newman (Maalik) and Brent Spiner (Soong). They both play characters with great dueling personalities. The way Soong walks around giving orders, I half-expected somebody to just bit**slap him, especially Maalik, whom they did a good job showing as being someone easily capable of flipping out and doing something like that at any time. The tension aboard that ship is a definite highlight for me.

I figured Persis would get killed by Maalik. Unfortunately, the actress has the same problem that the guy that played Raakin did. She just couldn't die without looking silly. The last kiss after being stabbed was sufficiently sick enough to make me forget about the goofy look on her face though.

The final confrontation was nice, though... I dunno, I just found myself kind of hoping that they actually wouldn't blow up the torpedo the Augments shot at the Klingon colony. It would have really changed what the rest of the season would be, but it would have been a nice way to cap off this story, and launch us into another.

The scene where Maalik is dragging himself back up after the devastating blast from Enterprise was very reminiscent of the scene in which Khan does the same thing in the second Trek film. He even does something similar, which is activate something that causes the destruction of his own ship. I'm a little indifferent on this. I don't know whether I like this or not.

The shocker of having Maalik suddenly show up on Enterprise was pretty cool, though it again just felt kinda off to me. I appreciate the idea of it though. I would expect an Augment to do something sneaky like that. This whole trilogy, now that I think about it, has been really good at having moments that come out of nowhere, that I don't expect. All in all, I think the Soong Arc was great. I'm going to be replaying it to death in the next week.

I give "The Augments" a B+. Loved that final scene, by the way.

Comment

I really think the best part of this episode was the grappler manuver. I was great seeing the NX-01 tow the klingon ship along and then almost ripping apart the nacelle. Overall I liked this episode. It was a fitting ending to an excellent arc. Now, on with the vulcans!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LordMartin
            Ok why not, we have until Janruary so lets find something to talk about!

I used to think guys that kept track of what deck the transporter was on in Star Trek TOS were pretty silly. Here I go...

Now I tonights episode, Enterprise had to cruise into Klingon space to persue the Aug's in that stolen Bird Of Prey. They used the Universal Translator with some recently loaded "Klingon" dialects to fool a Klingon patrol.

Does anyone remember in Star Trek : The Undiscovered Country that they had to pull out the books to sound more Klingon. They specifically said they could not use the Translator because the listening post would know that they were not truely speaking Klingon.
            Whut I don't understand is why Uhura didn't just pull up whut they needed on her computer interface. I always thought the "books" were lame, considering she has a freak'n language database right infront of her. I've read that it was becuase the "director" thought it'd be kewl. It's forgivable though, seeing as the scene is hillarious!

Comment

Originally posted by Vapor
              Ah! Somebody beat me to it this week!

"The Augments"

So, this ep was good, but not great for me. It did at least have the advantage of being the end to an arc, which just automatically increases my interest. But there was just something that felt slightly off about this one.

I was dissapointed that we didn't get an extra scene between Dr. Lucas and Phlox. I mean, they just met again for the first time in a while, and then that was it. I don't exactly know what the scene would have been, but it would've been nice.

No Phlox/Lucas scene, but I'll settle for a Trip/T'Pol one. Basically, this was to establish that "Yes, I want you, and you want me, but this other guy is in the way, so we can't bump tonight, but... we both know we want to." And that's great. Because I'm fully expecting that T'Pol's husband will kick the bucket within a few episodes, so we can get back to business with these guys. I don't know what the "Vulcan way" says about the aftermath of a spouse's death. Could be interesting.

The stuff toward the beginning was pretty cool though, with them blasting open the tunnel-thingy in the station and them transporting Archer just as he flies out into space. That transporter's gotten a lot more dependable lately....

I think this ep's strengths were with the two big guest stars, Alec Newman (Maalik) and Brent Spiner (Soong). They both play characters with great dueling personalities. The way Soong walks around giving orders, I half-expected somebody to just bit**slap him, especially Maalik, whom they did a good job showing as being someone easily capable of flipping out and doing something like that at any time. The tension aboard that ship is a definite highlight for me.

I figured Persis would get killed by Maalik. Unfortunately, the actress has the same problem that the guy that played Raakin did. She just couldn't die without looking silly. The last kiss after being stabbed was sufficiently sick enough to make me forget about the goofy look on her face though.

The final confrontation was nice, though... I dunno, I just found myself kind of hoping that they actually wouldn't blow up the torpedo the Augments shot at the Klingon colony. It would have really changed what the rest of the season would be, but it would have been a nice way to cap off this story, and launch us into another.

The scene where Maalik is dragging himself back up after the devastating blast from Enterprise was very reminiscent of the scene in which Khan does the same thing in the second Trek film. He even does something similar, which is activate something that causes the destruction of his own ship. I'm a little indifferent on this. I don't know whether I like this or not.

The shocker of having Maalik suddenly show up on Enterprise was pretty cool, though it again just felt kinda off to me. I appreciate the idea of it though. I would expect an Augment to do something sneaky like that. This whole trilogy, now that I think about it, has been really good at having moments that come out of nowhere, that I don't expect. All in all, I think the Soong Arc was great. I'm going to be replaying it to death in the next week.

I give "The Augments" a B+. Loved that final scene, by the way.

I rather liked the two references to Wrath of Khan.....asking about Botany Bay and saying Khan was a myth and the scene on the bridge of the nearly destroyed BOP, with Malik crawling around a la Khan on the Reliant at the end. Pretty good stuff.

Just glad Archer didn't shout out Malllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiik!!!!
              Thanks!
              Jordan

my page
              My LJ
              From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

I really loved the nod to Noonien Soong and Data at the end. I want more Brent Spiner. He was the only redeeming feature of the last season of Friends

Maybe we could get him in Season 9...

Comment

Originally posted by Teal'c
                  I really loved the nod to Noonien Soong and Data at the end.

Even as I saw it coming, I enjoyed that moment.
                  sigpic
                  ~ ~ ~mala\suekay sig ~ ~ ~ *Thanks to Mala50 for any caps I post & for her "crankies"*

Comment

Overall I liked "The Augments". Spiner once again proved to be great. I really wish we could somehow get him to regularly appear on Enterprise. The little "Artificial life! Yeah!" bit at the end was a little much, but no worse than Malik crawling around like Khan on the bridge of the Bird of Prey, then fooling around with overloading the ship just like Khan. I thought his "surprise" appearance was dumb though. What was the point? It didn't add anything else to story since he still ended up dead and Soong had already changed his views on genetic engineering. It was just......there.

The one thing that really did dissappoint me though was that Enterprise shot down the bio-weapon. I thought that they would've gone with the gutsy move and had it wipe out the colony. Not only would it be a pretty jarring event, but it would be the perfect explanation for why the Klingons hate the Feds in Kirk's time. But alas, it wasn't meant to be. The Klingons are satisfied by Enterprise's actions, and we're all on our merry way.

I did like the Briar Patch mention though. If it's the same Briar Patch from Insurrection it brings up a whole nother can of worms. In Insurrection the Briar Patch is in Federation space. But in "The Augments" it was in Klingon space. Add to the fact that the Klingons call it Klak T'Kel Bracht, which is the site of a famous battle that Kor fought in (see DS9 "Bloodoath"). I wonder if this'll be developed any further.
                    MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Lexx
                      I did like the Briar Patch mention though. If it's the same Briar Patch from Insurrection it brings up a whole nother can of worms. In Insurrection the Briar Patch is in Federation space. But in "The Augments" it was in Klingon space. Add to the fact that the Klingons call it Klak T'Kel Bracht, which is the site of a famous battle that Kor fought in (see DS9 "Bloodoath"). I wonder if this'll be developed any further.
                      I figure from Archer's time to Insurrection the boundries of Klingon space may have changed. The Federation isn't even a presence yet, so who knows. I assume it's the writer's way of teasing us and keeping us interested.

Comment

I don't know about the rest of you but I think Enterprise is finally starting to feel like a prequel. For those of you drawing similarities between TWOK and this story arc, how about the whole scene on CS12. In the movie Khan went onboard Regular One and tortured the scientists about Genesis while Malik went to CS12 to torture the scientist for the access codes to the embryos. Both TWOK and this story featured a facility inside an asteroid. Maybe this was already mentioned in the CS12 thread?

Comment

Working...
                        X