This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continuum Paradox

I've been wondering about a few things in Continuum. I have gathered that, for whatever reason, when someone goes back in time and alters the timeline that they came from, they are not affected by this. This is evident when Mitchell goes back and undoes the timeline he came from (although that might not count, since he was never born in that timeline. He came froom the first) and when Ba'al undoes the timeline he came from without dissapearing because that's the whole plot of the movie. But is the Ba'al from the fixed timeline at the end of the movie who is implied to have gone back in time (since the fixed timeline is basically the same as the original one, we can assume that the captured Ba'al clone again warned SG-1 of his plan) the same Ba'al who Mitchell kills to fix the timeline? Because, if so, that would be the biggest, and hardest to explain, paradox in Stargate yet. And if not, who killed the most most recent Ba'al to go back in time in the fixed timeline?
    P.S. That whole 'witnessing the timeline shift' concept still gives me a headache.
    Last edited by songar87; 26 August 2008, 01:37 PM.

I could be mistaken, but the Baal that was thought to be the last Baal and was going to be executed was in fact not the last Baal. The Baal that we were going to execute gloated at one point as he knew that there was another going back in time and changing events. Thus the one Cam kills in 1929 or whatever is not the same one that's killed at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by songar87 View Post
      I've been wondering about a few things in Continuum. I have gathered that, for whatever reason, when someone goes back in time and alters the timeline that they came from, they are not affected by this. This is evident when Mitchell goes back and undoes the timeline he came from (although that might not count, since he was never born in that timeline. He came froom the first) and when Ba'al undoes the timeline he came from without dissapearing because that's the whole plot of the movie. But is the Ba'al from the fixed timeline at the end of the movie who goes back in time the same Ba'al who Mitchell kills to fix the timeline? Because, if so, that would be the biggest, and hardest to explain, paradox in Stargate yet.
      We don't really know, makes more sense if it wasn't, so that's what I'm going with.

Comment

I think that the Ba'al that they captured was the last Ba'al CLONE but the one that traveled from our timeline, I think he is the ORIGINAL Ba'al and Mitchell kills the Ba'al from our timeline only in the past.
        SGU =Awesome!!!
        Hope it stays as good...
        sigpic

Comment

tbh it cant have been the real baal that went bk in time because if he dies on the boat in 1929, he wouldnt be around to be executed by the Tok'ra or anything hell he wouldnt have even captured Jack and killed him over and over again!

Comment

No no; the Ba'al who traveled back in time did so after he did those things (except the execution thing; that was a clone who got killed).

Comment

It is easy to understand:
              Lets call: Ba'al the Original and Clone the Clone.
              Clone is captured in the original timeline (OT), Ba'al in the mean time travels back in time and creates the Different Timeline (DT).
              After SG1 is transported to DT given they were in a wormhole at the time of the shift, they wait 1 year, and then Cam is transported to the past of the two timelines, where there was only (Will discuss this below).
              The Original Ba'al travels from the OT and Cam kills him, that wont affect any timeline, cause 1929 for Ba'al is in the future of 2008 (from his point of view). The Clone is able to be produced cause that happened before Ba'al traveled.

What really makes me feel uncomfortable is Where the Heck did Cam traveled from the Ba'al Station, we was supposed to travel 3 years before 1929 right? at that time the gate was buried in Egypt, so no wormhole could be established. A real procedure was to send Cam to the Asgard Home world in 1926 and ask for a Ride to Earth. How else can he be in 1929 in Earth? if both gates were buried? I dont think we was able to walk out of the Ice from the Antartic gate with no equipment in 1926. Period.

Comment

Maybe ten years before 1929 was a rough estimate?
                That is just my two cents.

Comment

Cam was sent to 1929, while the Ba'al got onboard the Achillies in 1939, 10 years later. The gate was unearthed at Giza in 1928.

Hope that helps.

Comment

I thought Baal altered the timeline in 1939 and Cam went back to 1929? The stargate was uncovered in 1928 so being able to connect shouldn't be an issue.

Edit: PG15 beat me to it while I was editing my post to make it make sense

Comment

Well. I was mistaken then. I watched the DVD with my two children in the lap and dont remember the Date Sam said.

And nobody noticed Cam in 1929?
                      Well, Nicely he saved the day in the same way SG-1 under O'Neill command saved before when they traveled with the Puddle Jumper to Giza.

Comment

Originally posted by songar87 View Post
                        I've been wondering about a few things in Continuum. I have gathered that, for whatever reason, when someone goes back in time and alters the timeline that they came from, they are not affected by this. This is evident when Mitchell goes back and undoes the timeline he came from (although that might not count, since he was never born in that timeline. He came froom the first) and when Ba'al undoes the timeline he came from without dissapearing because that's the whole plot of the movie. But is the Ba'al from the fixed timeline at the end of the movie who is implied to have gone back in time (since the fixed timeline is basically the same as the original one, we can assume that the captured Ba'al clone again warned SG-1 of his plan) the same Ba'al who Mitchell kills to fix the timeline? Because, if so, that would be the biggest, and hardest to explain, paradox in Stargate yet. And if not, who killed the most most recent Ba'al to go back in time in the fixed timeline?
                        P.S. That whole concept still gives me a headache.
                        I was actually ok with the movie but now... Thanks a lot!
                        But I agree the 'witnessing the timeline shift' bugs me too.
                        sigpic
                        Ten Years, A Lot Of Enemies, A Presumed Death, A Complete Back Story Rewrite....But Still Looking Good!

Comment

I cant believe there was any confusion with which Baal did what. The Baal being executed made it clear that the original Baal was the only one that could remove his tracking device (and did so) and had built a "failsafe" device (the time machine) to be used if all the clones were killed. The last Baal clone said that the device was most likely already complete, then people started disappearing (unrealistic...).

So with that in mind, the original Baal had just got the time machine operational and left 2008 (or the current year) to go to 1939. But there is nothing saying that was his first stop. Maybe he did some other things first, who knows. Plus, the wormhole has to go through the magnetic field of a solar flare. Therefore the time machines computers are always looking for solar flares AND addresses that intersect. Thus Baal would most likely of had to go to another planet (to go through a wormhole that intersected a solar flare) to travel back to 1939, then on to Earth.

That makes me think that when Mitchell went to 1929, he most likely had to go to another planet to intersect with the solar flare. Waiting for a solar flar to occur in just the right spot between the time machines gate and Earth would be unrealistic. From that planet he would then gate to Earth at any point before 1939, but most likely right after getting to that other planet.

Now a final, more interesting thought.

2008 (or the current year) Baal builds a time machine. He then travels back to 1939 to destroy (sink, render useless) the earth gate. When he leaves, it would still be 1939 on what ever planet he went to. (unless he knew when and where a solar flare was going to occur and used that to travel to a different time), but most likely he was stuck in 1939 and that when he started rebuilding his empire. When Baal was killed in 1939, the alternate timeline was never created. That means the time machine is still on Paxis (sp?) in 2008.

It's like this, the original Baal is buidling the time machine as a failsafe. He gets done, goes to 1939. As he steps through the gate, he is shot. That is how the timeline flows. (The whole movie is about the alternate timeline) So after he is shot and killed, his time machine is still sitting out there somewhere.

These things could make for interesting episodes or movies to play off of...

Comment

Working...
                          X