This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Going To Other Planets" a la Martin Lloyd

So, we have a Stargate, but what about what's on the other side? What kind of planets could we find besides endless rainy forests and an occasional desert?

Copy and add to the list:

1. Planets with lighter or heavier gravity, and their ramifications.

2. Planets with industrialized societies more advanced than what we have seen so we can negotiate with them.
    Causality should not be taken lightly.

Originally posted by Livi2Jack
    2. Planets with industrialized societies more advanced than what we have seen so we can negotiate with them.
    3. Planets that don't rotate, one side night, one side day.
    sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

4. planet that is a living entity (I know, star trek cliché)

Comment

5. Planets with silicon-based lifeforms.

Comment

Well, I'd like to see genuinely alien foliage, stuff that doesn't look like it's from Earth. Unfortunately, I can't think of a tv or movie in the history of sf that's been able to pull it off without looking simply ridiculous. Which is one of the reasons SG-1 (and now Atlantis) go mainly to green, rainy forests with lots of evergreens: in Vancouver, Canada, where they film, that's what the terrain looks like, and trying to make it look like something else is difficult and often comes up cheezy. Like "Evolution" when they're supposed to be in the jungle. It doesn't look like a jungle, it looks like a rainy North American forest with the occasional strategically placed fern. Personally, I'd rather have just a natural look than something obviously faked.
          My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
          -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
          -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
          -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice
            Well, I'd like to see genuinely alien foliage, stuff that doesn't look like it's from Earth. Unfortunately, I can't think of a tv or movie in the history of sf that's been able to pull it off without looking simply ridiculous. Which is one of the reasons SG-1 (and now Atlantis) go mainly to green, rainy forests with lots of evergreens: in Vancouver, Canada, where they film, that's what the terrain looks like, and trying to make it look like something else is difficult and often comes up cheezy. Like "Evolution" when they're supposed to be in the jungle. It doesn't look like a jungle, it looks like a rainy North American forest with the occasional strategically placed fern. Personally, I'd rather have just a natural look than something obviously faked.
            Would you rather a paper-mache rock face that could be re-painted every few episodes, a la Star Trek: TOS?
            [email protected]
            http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
            One nation under dog
            There of which I stand alone
            A face in the crowd
            Unsung, against the mold
            Without a doubt
            Singled out
            The only way I know

Comment

Originally posted by Janus
              wasn't that already done with the Broca Divide

6. I'd like to see genuinely alien foliage

7. a world (which is very close to earth in the stargate network) that has picked up earths tv and has started to emulate star trek

sigpic

Comment

7. a world (which is very close to earth in the stargate network) that has picked up earths tv and has started to emulate star trek

8. Planet in an unstable orbit so it passes close to the sun and fries the planets surface.

9. Planet with floating cities that are not an uber advanced race

10. Planet with a species which either use purely mechanical tech or biological tech

11. A Binary planet, two planets orbiting each other.

12. Planet with a acid atomsphere but still having life there (maybe silicon)

13. Planet with a hive mind socity which doesnt want to devour or assimilate the universe

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8. Planet in an unstable orbit so it passes close to the sun and fries the planets surface.

10. Planet with a species which either use purely mechanical tech or biological tech

13. Planet with a hive mind socity which doesnt want to devour or assimilate the universe

14. A planet that takes about 2 hours to walk around the whole thing (maybe even just big enough for the team to stand on)

Comment

Originally posted by WraithWarrior
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

14. A planet that takes about 2 hours to walk around the whole thing (maybe even just big enough for the team to stand on)
                    problem with 14 is if only just big enuf to stand on.... no gravity.... not much atmosphere.... NO SPACE FOR A REALLY HUGE HEAVY GREY THING CALLED A STARGATE!!! lol
                    ------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Spudster
                      problem with 14 is if only just big enuf to stand on.... no gravity.... not much atmosphere.... NO SPACE FOR A REALLY HUGE HEAVY GREY THING CALLED A STARGATE!!! lol
                      Well, I assume it would be nailed down or something.

Comment

There's still the problem of no atmosphere.

Let's face it, the Ancients wouldn't put stargates on places they didn't need to routinely go. If it was a planet they just needed to visit for research or whatever, they'd just send a ship most likely. The stargates went on planets where they would be living. To that end they're all going to be relatively earthlike, similar day/night cycles, similar gravity and atmosphere, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by WraithWarrior
                          Fire and Water?
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

15. A planet in which it is similar to earth 65 million years ago, with dinosaurs and big reptiles, a la "lost world/King Kong
                            For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade
                              wasn't that already done with the Broca Divide
                              I thought it was dark because of the really thick forest
                              Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Working...
                              X