This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Universe Soundtrack

I know, I'm being rather picky about this new show, but I think it's important to take mostly all aspects into account. Although I'm an avid fan of Joel Goldsmith's work, I think that it may be time for a new artist in the musician's spot.

That is, of course, if the creation team for SGU are planning to take the series into new territory. I think that instead of re-using the same tracks again and again in each episode (Star Trek is also at fault for this), the musician should compose new tracks for each episode, or every few episodes, like Bear McCreary does with BSG.

I'm not saying it has to sound like BSG's score, but the tracks should be more varied and special to each character or event. I think that the soundtrack to any TV Show is important, I believe that it's an essential part to how the scenes come across to the viewers.

Maybe, like with SG-1 and SGA, Joel Goldsmith could compose the main theme, but I'd recommend tptb hiring another artist or group of artists to create a soundtrack for the rest of the series, making the show overall more varied in what it offers as entertainment.

Some examples of great artists would be;

Bear McCreary (Of BSG and TSCC fame)
    Christophe Beck (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
    Robert J. Kral (Angel)
    Murray Gold (Doctor Who)
    Marty Simon (Lexx)
    Harry Gregson-Williams (Metal Gear Solid, The Chronicles of Narnia, Shrek)
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Harry Gregson-Williams
    is he related to Rupert Gregson-Williams?
    any way i think they should have someone like
    Michael Giachinno (spelling?)
    or Martin O'donnell
    either of them would be great

KEEP IT CLEAN
    Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
    Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

I love his music, but I personally think Joel needs to move on to bigger and better things. Universe sounds like it might be a bit below him, he needs to offer his talent where it's really needed.
      This time... it's war!

Comment

Originally posted by unluckynumber11 View Post
        is he related to Rupert Gregson-Williams?
        Wikipedia says they're brothers.
        Originally posted by unluckynumber11 View Post
        any way i think they should have someone like
        Michael Giachinno (spelling?)
        or Martin O'donnell
        either of them would be great
        Martin O'Donnell would be very interesting, although doesn't he usually stick to video games? Although, having said that, he did compose the Halo scores...Which, I know, is a video game but its almost stargatey...Big guy dressed in green, exploring alien terrain via a metal ring in space.

....ahem.
        Originally posted by Drax View Post
        I love his music, but I personally think Joel needs to move on to bigger and better things. Universe sounds like it might be a bit below him, he needs to offer his talent where it's really needed.
        Yeah maybe, that's why he never really stuck with the stargates I think. He composes one score right at the beginning in between composing movie scores and tptb re-use the same tracks again and again, making the atmosphere pretty damn and repetitive boring around the adventures...
        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic

Comment

Wikipedia says they're brothers.
          wow, i learned something and my school doesn't start for 2 days, go figure

KEEP IT CLEAN
          Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
          Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

I love Joel Goldsmith's music (and Wright & Cooper won't part from him IMO), but maybe you're right.

I 'acuired' the soundtrack of Mummy 3 by Randy Edelman the other day and it's as surpisingly brilliant as the movie sucks (somewhat like the Hook soundtrack). The begining theme of the score is sweeping and grand, but remaining tracks are excellent too.

But on the whole, I'd like a rising-star-composer, if such an expression even exists (it does now).
            sigpic

Well, not anymore... Good bye Atlantis!

Comment

They should get on the phone to Tuomas Holopainen

A genius composer and song writer, much of his music is inspired by film music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiguMrXwXDg

and his latest master piece
              Part 1
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXCIQFrX_jk
              Parrt 2
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoL3e...eature=related
              A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Christopher Franke is another good musician to do what the OP is saying. Bring a little something new to each episode. Although to truly do this you will need to have many different song writers, so each episode, in any given time sounds different from the others.

Comment

I don't think the music would be nearly as good or have the right feel if anyone other than Joel Goldsmith did it. I think he's a great composer and maybe deserves to go on to better things, but Stargate would be a lesser show without him. Most tv music really sucks. It's rare that you get someone like Joel Goldsmith doing tv music. It suffers from being electronic, but I think it's still among the best tv music out there.

Comment

Michael Giacchino or Sean Callery would be awesome, but I think Stargate works very well with Goldsmith. But maybe it's time for a non-orchestral soundtrack? Hmm... I think Giacchino could make an intereseting and original orchestral soundtrack and Callery could do an interesting orchestral/electronic soundtrack.

I'm a soundtrack composer though (orchestral) and I'd love to do it.
                    My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

Originally posted by Vespasianus View Post
                      I love Joel Goldsmith's music (and Wright & Cooper won't part from him IMO), but maybe you're right.

I 'acuired' the soundtrack of Mummy 3 by Randy Edelman the other day and it's as surpisingly brilliant as the movie sucks (somewhat like the Hook soundtrack). The begining theme of the score is sweeping and grand, but remaining tracks are excellent too.

But on the whole, I'd like a rising-star-composer, if such an expression even exists (it does now).
                      I despised the Mummy III, but I agree that it had a great soundtrack. I however liked Hook... Since the stargate franchise is steeped in ancient mythology. I could imagine it holding a score with a Mummy-like feel to it.
                      Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
                      They should get on the phone to Tuomas Holopainen

A genius composer and song writer, much of his music is inspired by film music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiguMrXwXDg

and his latest master piece
                      Part 1
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXCIQFrX_jk
                      Parrt 2
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoL3e...eature=related
                      That sounds pretty awesome, and would definitely bring a new atmosphere to the new series, seperating it from its predecessors already.
                      Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
                      Christopher Franke is another good musician to do what the OP is saying. Bring a little something new to each episode. Although to truly do this you will need to have many different song writers, so each episode, in any given time sounds different from the others.
                      I haven't seen Babylon 5 so I can't say I'm familiar with his work, but I do recall the series being very popular. It still is I believe.
                      Originally posted by crowmagnumman View Post
                      I don't think the music would be nearly as good or have the right feel if anyone other than Joel Goldsmith did it. I think he's a great composer and maybe deserves to go on to better things, but Stargate would be a lesser show without him. Most tv music really sucks. It's rare that you get someone like Joel Goldsmith doing tv music. It suffers from being electronic, but I think it's still among the best tv music out there.
                      He does tend to stick to scoring movies, but I suspect that is partly to due with the higher pay for his contribution. The creators of Stargate have a large budget, so perhaps they should focus it more of making the series appear differently almost completely.
                      Originally posted by metabog View Post
                      Michael Giacchino or Sean Callery would be awesome, but I think Stargate works very well with Goldsmith. But maybe it's time for a non-orchestral soundtrack? Hmm... I think Giacchino could make an intereseting and original orchestral soundtrack and Callery could do an interesting orchestral/electronic soundtrack.

I'm a soundtrack composer though (orchestral) and I'd love to do it.
                      If Michael gave SGU a soundtrack like the one he made for Alias, I'm sure that would make the atmosphere all the more interesting and exciting.

sigpic

Comment

I adore BSG and Doctor Who music as much as the next guy, but I'm still with Joel. He has the skills to do a lot if BW and RCC want him to do the things you want, like create a theme for each character.

Nope, gotta trust the old hand. He's got what it takes. I mean, give him some resources, and you get (IMHO) incredibly brilliant scores like the score for Ark of Truth.

Comment

I'd prefer if they kept Joel. He has done an amazing job on SG1 and Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
                            I despised the Mummy III, but I agree that it had a great soundtrack. I however liked Hook... Since the stargate franchise is steeped in ancient mythology. I could imagine it holding a score with a Mummy-like feel to it.

That sounds pretty awesome, and would definitely bring a new atmosphere to the new series, seperating it from its predecessors already.

I haven't seen Babylon 5 so I can't say I'm familiar with his work, but I do recall the series being very popular. It still is I believe.

He does tend to stick to scoring movies, but I suspect that is partly to due with the higher pay for his contribution. The creators of Stargate have a large budget, so perhaps they should focus it more of making the series appear differently almost completely.

If Michael gave SGU a soundtrack like the one he made for Alias, I'm sure that would make the atmosphere all the more interesting and exciting.
                            Oh yeah. It is still popular. If you wouldn't mind I could post some of his work to you.

Comment

Working...
                            X