This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cautious Explorer View Post

Todd doesn't quite cut it. Or maybe it's because Todd is interacting with the watered-down version of Teyla. I thought Teyla was far too accepting of Todd and being turned into a Wraith Queen. She seemed mildly annoyed with him, but not all out angry. It could have been partly due to the terrible makeup job though.
    True, but I guess it's somethign I sadly take for granted these days. It;s not just the make up - it's the situation. As happens a lot in StaRGATE, characters are being written ooc in order to accomodate plot. I defintiely felt that with Teyla - a s much as it's hard to me to define what IC writing would be for her - but in the situation we presently have with her, I felt Todd gave her a good side we havent seen for ages.
    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Yes, I am!
    sigpic
    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
      True, but I guess it's somethign I sadly take for granted these days. It;s not just the make up - it's the situation. As happens a lot in StaRGATE, characters are being written ooc in order to accomodate plot. I defintiely felt that with Teyla - a s much as it's hard to me to define what IC writing would be for her - but in the situation we presently have with her, I felt Todd gave her a good side we havent seen for ages.
      True. Probably because Todd has no interest in Teyla's womb or Teyla as a mother. It's refreshing to see her break out of that mold for an episode.

Comment

True. Probably because Todd has no interest in Teyla's womb or Teyla as a mother. It's refreshing to see her break out of that mold for an episode.
        Oh thank the gods, yes. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. rr.
        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
        Yes, I am!
        sigpic
        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by huntress View Post
          The problem with Teyla is that she is too picture perfect and I have a problem with any character that is too perfect. That is one reason why I always disliked Carter. She is so perfect that it is almost scary. Teyla is not a bad character she just need a few rough edges to make her interesting.
          I agree (about Carter). Teyla isn't perfect; she just doesn't do anything so we never get a chance to see her mess up. She's become the teal'c of SGA. Not the OLD angry tealc- that's Ronon- but the latter calm and sagacious Teal'c, who just spits out random lines when necessary.
          Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
          encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
          3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
          4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
          5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
            Well, maybe not hate so much as lacking any interest in them.
            Haha, that's a bit fairer!

I find Shep tedious and trapped in a very narrow and trite framework. McKay is likewise trapped, maybe even moreso <snip for laziness>
            I can see your point there, but I still like them.

find Carson's return repugnant and asinine
            You're not one to mince your words are you?!! I like that lol. I love Carson and tbh I turned my brain off and I'm just glad he's back!

care not a whit about Keller and her issues

and think that Ronon is just a big, bulky prop that walks around and growls on cue
            We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, or we could battle it out in the Ronon thread!

All I'll say on that - which helps to stay on topic - is that one problem I have with Teyla is that (as other people have said) she's always there to calm Ronon down, which gets on my nerves. In one way I like that, it's helped the character progression of Ronon and we wouldn't have got that if he was constantly angry all the time. On the other hand, she treats him like a child who needs to be scolded all the time. Just because Teyla is a leader to her people, she shouldn't be allowed to start telling other people how to behave. I find it patronising

Teyla wasn't perfect in S1. At least they let her lose her temper now and then. But when Ronon came into the picture TPTB didn't know how to differentiate the two aliens, so Ronon was the angry one and Teyla was the peace-maker. Instead of writing two roles, they split Teyla's role from S1 and gave half her character to Ronon.
            She was definitely more fiesty in S1, now she's just annoying

sigpic

Comment

yeah it would be cool to actaully have an actual Atlantean but there really arn't any more of them around i mean there were a couple but than the repilicator killed them all of now there are none left and with the Teal'c thing he came from the enemy side i mean on Atlantis they could put a wraith on the team but it would be just a bit uncomfterable for off world missions.
              sigpic

ATLANTIS RULES

Comment

The Athosians are all dead?? When did that happen?

The things I miss by not watching the show... I suppose I should be grateful TPTB didn't pull the same shark-jumpingly moronic stunt they did with the Abydans and simply Ascend everyone. Er, they didn't, right?

EDIT: Ahhh, that'll teach me to read more closely. There's a world of difference between Atlantean and Athosian. Although I don't think the Ancients are generally referred to as "Atlanteans" are they? I'm going to blame the terrible grammar in the post... and the fact that, since this thread is about Teyla, I naturally (and rather stupidly) jumped to the conclusion that folks would be talking about things relating to her... such as her people, the Athosians.

You'd think after so many years in fandom I'd be used to the random asides, but they still trip me up on occasion.
                Last edited by ShadowMaat; 28 September 2008, 07:28 PM.

Comment

I understand you guys!and I agree that Teyla's character is a little......too perfect!too wise!!but still....I think she's great!!!

Comment

The Athosians are all dead?? When did that happen?

The things I miss by not watching the show... I suppose I should be grateful TPTB didn't pull the same shark-jumpingly moronic stunt they did with the Abydans and simply Ascend everyone. Er, they didn't, right?

EDIT: Ahhh, that'll teach me to read more closely. There's a world of difference between Atlantean and Athosian. Although I don't think the Ancients are generally referred to as "Atlanteans" are they? I'm going to blame the terrible grammar in the post... and the fact that, since this thread is about Teyla, I naturally (and rather stupidly) jumped to the conclusion that folks would be talking about things relating to her... such as her people, the Athosians.

You'd think after so many years in fandom I'd be used to the random asides, but they still trip me up on occasion.
                    Oh boy...

Spoiler for Kindred Part II (if you should like to know)

Spoiler:
                    The Athosians pretty much all got turned into monsters by Michael actually. Or as the show calls them Wraith "hybrids". So they actually are basically all "dead". And I'm quite sure that it's not going to come up again either, they'll never be rescued/turned back to normal with gene therapy or anything.
                    It's almost worse then that Ascended Abydonians thing--the Athosians have fallen into a plot chasm and I'm pretty sure they won't be coming out.

Teyla the problem?

I don't think so. I've never been terribly fond of her character, even in season one, but the problem in Atlantis is the writing IMO.
                    Keller in particular suffers from the writing because she wasn't a character before the writing took a turn for the worse, the others at least have some solidly established background in the "good ol' days", which allowed me to forgive them.

That forgiveness however, has since run out; I've actually essentially ceased to enjoy my absolute favorite character at this point (Rodney) and have consequentially given up on the show, aside from a few scattered episodes that, from the spoilers, look like they won't make me cringe.

Doesn't sound like Teyla's the problem for me...(and neither is Keller!)
                    "Prepare to meet your DOOM."

"It's not about making money, it's about taking money. Destroying the status quo, because the status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to...rule it."

GADZOOKS

Comment

Originally posted by GateofDOOM View Post
                      Oh boy...

Spoiler for Kindred Part II (if you should like to know)

Spoiler:
                      The Athosians pretty much all got turned into monsters by Michael actually. Or as the show calls them Wraith "hybrids". So they actually are basically all "dead". And I'm quite sure that it's not going to come up again either, they'll never be rescued/turned back to normal with gene therapy or anything.
                      It's almost worse then that Ascended Abydonians thing--the Athosians have fallen into a plot chasm and I'm pretty sure they won't be coming out.
                      As a matter of fact - season 5 spoilers:

Spoiler:
                      The hybrids that were left behind were in fact given the gene therapy to turn them back into normal humans. They were kept under guard though. And it weren't just Athosians who were used in Michael's experiment.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
                        Teyla and Ronan are not the problem. Infact I think both of them work very well in the shows current format.
                        Indeed!

Comment

Teyla isn't THE problem in Atlantis, she is A problem, one of many
                          Meh.

Comment

Working...
                          X