Watergate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watergate?

I am confused about this episode, they say they couldn't shut down the gate due to pressure, well we know the water shouldn't go through because of what happened in Watergate, they theorised that there was a thing built in to hold back the water. I know that water turned out the be alive and controlled itself, but it makes sense that they would have such a thing built in and if that water wanted itself back so badly it could have flooded the russian base easily.

So why was there a risk of Atlantis being flooded? Even if some water had made it through with the team, Atlantis has filled with water before and it can just drain out, I mean they are at the top of a tower, plenty of space for it to go.

What was the real risk?

The Watergate wormhole was outgoing...
    My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

I think this episode proves that water would in fact go through.
      in Watergate that was not water but an organizm that looked like water and could move around. so the organizm held itself back from going through the gate.

the gates are probably programmed to automatically hold back air (to prevent air from being sucked out of a room with an active outgoing stargate) but not water because the gates were not supposed to be under water. and the gate can't guess when to hold something back and when not to.
      so its official; gate only holds back air from going through.

but the wierd part about this episode was when they sat on top of the gate it didn't look like water was flowing into the gate. the water should have gone through and not rematerilalize on the other side because of the shield.

they probably simply didn't want to flood the control room and that's why they decided to wait for 38 minuets.

Comment

Originally posted by AscendedThor View Post
        but the wierd part about this episode was when they sat on top of the gate it didn't look like water was flowing into the gate. the water should have gone through and not rematerilalize on the other side because of the shield.

they probably simply didn't want to flood the control room and that's why they decided to wait for 38 minuets.
        Wouldn't this then mean that the water would enter the gate and then just "disappear"? They could had released all the water from the valley in no time if this was the case.

I think this was just a situation where they didn't want the viewer to think too much about it because any way you do it doesn't make much sense

Comment

Originally posted by rushworld View Post
          Wouldn't this then mean that the water would enter the gate and then just "disappear"? They could had released all the water from the valley in no time if this was the case.

I think this was just a situation where they didn't want the viewer to think too much about it because any way you do it doesn't make much sense
          the event horizon of the stargate is probably about as 'dense' as water.
          the pressure that it creates is more than that of air (which is why air isn't getting sucked out through an open wormhole). people who walk through do feel the resistance of the event horizon and need to 'push' a little to get through it.
          on one ocasion we saw O'Niell and Carter place a bunch of flowrs on an event horizon (when they thought Daniel was dead) and the flowers stayed on it for a while, proving that it gives resistance even to solid objects.
          my guess is that it creates about the same pressure as water. so in this case because the pressure between the event horizon and the water is pretty even, most of the water isn't getting sucked into it.

Maybe they were afraid that if they swim into the stargate the stargate might not transmit them as long as it still feels pressure from the water (as if the object is not through completely) and this way they'll be gone forever the moment the stargate deactives. but they could have tested that by opening the shield in Atlantis to see if water comes out or not.
          if some water comes out this would mean that the team can also come out in one piece.

Comment

the pressure that it creates is more than that of air (which is why air isn't getting sucked out through an open wormhole). people who walk through do feel the resistance of the event horizon and need to 'push' a little to get through it.
            on one ocasion we saw O'Niell and Carter place a bunch of flowrs on an event horizon (when they thought Daniel was dead) and the flowers stayed on it for a while, proving that it gives resistance even to solid objects.
            my guess is that it creates about the same pressure as water. so in this case because the pressure between the event horizon and the water is pretty even, most of the water isn't getting sucked into it.

Maybe they were afraid that if they swim into the stargate the stargate might not transmit them as long as it still feels pressure from the water (as if the object is not through completely) and this way they'll be gone forever the moment the stargate deactives. but they could have tested that by opening the shield in Atlantis to see if water comes out or not.
            if some water comes out this would mean that the team can also come out in one piece.
            Well said.
            Colonel Vlad Cole, USAF
            Stargate Gaming Clan - SGC

SGC Video [ Hi-Res | Lo-Res ]

Comment

the "water" in watergate, wasn't water at all. it was a wate like organism that could choose if they wanted to go through the gate.
              Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by metabog View Post
                The Watergate wormhole was outgoing...
                Do we talk about....

???

Comment

Originally posted by earthgate ricky View Post
                  do we talk about....

???

:d
                  hahahahahaha
                  nice!
                  Colonel Vlad Cole, USAF
                  Stargate Gaming Clan - SGC

SGC Video [ Hi-Res | Lo-Res ]

Comment

The Watergate was not in actual water, but rather water like beings. They had the ability to emit energy that the gate absorbed. Otherwise it would have shut down after 38 minutes. They had the ability to increase pressure, the ability posses people and change themselves to and from a gas state.

In this situation however pressure pushes water through the gate for it's 38 period. The gate can't shut down because something is moving through the gate. I has the same effect as sending a radio wave through.
                    Last edited by EternalAlteran; 23 August 2008, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Yeah I agree with allot of the points of others.
                      In Watergate it was an outgoing Wormhole, so any water going into the gate would flow into nothingness.
                      Also that water was made from billions of little creatures, so They could of held themselves back.
                      sigpic
                      Banner Made By Me for Me
                      The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
                        Yeah I agree with allot of the points of others.
                        In Watergate it was an outgoing Wormhole, so any water going into the gate would flow into nothingness.
                        Also that water was made from billions of little creatures, so They could of held themselves back.
                        I think it's safe to assume that there wasn't water, but lifeforms. Why can't people accept this? Yours and others' explanations are right on!

Comment

I've already theorised about this in another thread (see here: http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....6&postcount=17)

but to summarise, the gate is clever enough to tell if something was there effectively pressing against the event horizon before the wormhole was established, and therefore behaves towards this matter as if it was a solid object (similar to the already-mentioned theory of similar rates of resistance / surface tension). The gate only interacts with matter moving across the event horizon if 1) the matter wasn't there when the wormhole established, 2) the force of the matter coming into contact with the event horizon is a dynamic one, i.e. the water pressure I'd imagine is pretty constant, whereas someone swimming into the wormhole will not be as they are propelling themselves into the wormhole and across the event horizon).

My theory's a bit of a kludgy one when you first read it (insofar as it's more complex than the other theories), and it does mayyyyyybe go against a couple of recently-established bits of canon surrounding how they think the gate treats a constant body of matter pushing against the event horizon... But I'd like to think that (once simplified and worded a little better) my theory is the neater one, both in way it works when applied to any and all kinds of matter, and how the stargate itself works. I'm sure the gate system is still far cleverer when it comes to these kinds of odd situations than we give it credit for.
                          "You said we had a "problem", not a great big galactic emergency."

Comment

Agreed. In watergate that not was water but actually living aliens. Simillar to the mist aliens they were alive and could control their movement.
                            Stargate Revival Please!

Comment

You mean that the event horizon has a surface tension like water. I recalled the same episode and I simply though that the wormhole effect pulled the the reef in.

Comment

Working...
                              X