Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe a Rodney episode...BUT also a Keller episode!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post
    I don't admirer her! She blew off Teyla and Ronon's Knowledge of this illness!

Rodney was going to die anyway what could it have possible HURT?

Oh yeah thats right it saved him!
    If someone told you that there is a place that magically heals people for a day, would you believe it? I know I wouldn't. Not to mention neither of them were credible. Ronon was 6 when he was there. And besides there were two hives there with thousands of wraith.

And no, the place didn't save Rodney. Keller saved him.
    Colonel Vlad Cole, USAF
    Stargate Gaming Clan - SGC

SGC Video [ Hi-Res | Lo-Res ]

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad View Post
      If someone told you that there is a place that magically heals people for a day, would you believe it? I know I wouldn't. Not to mention neither of them were credible. Ronon was 6 when he was there. And besides there were two hives there with thousands of wraith.

But, Keller most likely could not have saved Rodney if not for the shrine.

I thought Ronon and Teyla were credible - they are native to Pegasus after all, unlike Sheppard and Woolsey. And with everything else the team has encountered, is a magical shrine really that much of a stretch?

Comment

I didn't find Keller's jump in confidence this episode odd at all. Keller is suppose to be an excellent doctor, and in this episode she showed that she was. Remember, when we first saw her she wasn't too sure of herself, but wouldn't you be that way if you were in her position? You just learned that there were lifeforms in other galaxies you had never even heard of before and are thrust into a totally alien situation from what you're used to, you're also replacing someone who was also an excellent doctor and much loved by all who knew him...yeah, I wouldn't be quite so confident of myself either.

Then, in other situations, such as when she was trapped on the planet with Teyla being chased down by a strange race of humans, this is a situation she is not trained for, so sure she's gonna be terrified, being on the run in an unfamiliar situation.

Now we have Keller facing the possibility that someone she's come to care for a great deal is going to die. She's had a year to get used to her position as Atlantis' CMO and prove that she is capable of doing this job, so sure she is going to put aside her confidence and bring forth all of her medical knowledge and talent to try and save her friend. This is what she was trained to do, and she's doing it well.

I think that Keller's development here makes sense and Jewel did a great job. Overall, everyone did a great job in this episode and it really was a tear-jerker., and the next new episode looks to be just as good.
        That is just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by naamiaiset View Post
          But, Keller most likely could not have saved Rodney if not for the shrine.

I thought Ronon and Teyla were credible - they are native to the Pegasus Galaxy after all, unlike Sheppard and Woolsey. And with everything else the team has encountered, is a magical shrine really that much of a stretch?
          Well that is because we give Ronon and Teyla the benefit of the doubt. Also remember, Ronon was the guy that shot someone who threw him a surprise birthday party and ate jello with his hands.
          Colonel Vlad Cole, USAF
          Stargate Gaming Clan - SGC

SGC Video [ Hi-Res | Lo-Res ]

Comment

Well that is because we give Ronon and Teyla the benefit of the doubt. Also remember, Ronon was the guy that shot someone who threw him a surprise birthday party and ate jello with his hands.
            Ronon is also the guy who knew exactly what he was talking about (another example is "Tabula Rasa", Ronon and Teyla knew the cure when no one else did). If it was me, I would believe someone who has lived in the PG their entire life versus someone who has been in the galaxy a couple years.

Keller is lucky that she chose to give ronon the "benefit of the doubt".

Comment

In the world of Stargate it wouldn't be surprising at all. They never said it was magic either.

We've seen in a few SG1 episodes where they've been somewhere and there's something that causes some brain reaction and they can't leave the area, eg. The Light.

They were infact credible, just because he was 6 when he was there doesn't mean he wasn't telling the truth, and it clearly showed he and Teyla were right all along anyway. Why bring these people into the team if they're not going to trust them

Comment

Ronan should have shot Keller in the head right after he dispatched the parasite. Now *that* would be an ending I'd cheer...

Comment

Keller's character was a huge disappointment in this episode, primarily because she stood against Sheppard and Ronon and Teyla. She knew that her judgment had been influenced by her emotions, and that her motives for not letting them take Rodney to the shrine were partly selfish. Keller also gave up on Rodney when the rest of his team refused to.

If Keller had had her way, Rodney would have died. That's not the sort of thing his character is in the habit of forgiving or forgetting.

Comment

Originally posted by ozziescum View Post
                    Keller's character was a huge disappointment in this episode, primarily because she stood against Sheppard and Ronon and Teyla.
                    so you'd prefer a show where everyone agrees with each other and all is peachy?

Comment

I think it's important to remember that Keller and McKay were both on the same side. She knew that he'd be horrified to become himself again and realize that he only had about a day left to live. I believe she said that giving him that time would be torture. And McKay reiterated that when they actually got him to the shrine.

Also, because they're both scientists, they wouldn't put much faith in a "shrine." Not when they've got medical and scientific options to pursue, at least. They were both on the same page, there.

And, sure, perhaps she was feeling personally attached to him. At the very least, it's been shown that the two are friends--something that doesn't seem to come easy by McKay. But she was willing to forego the shrine in order to stick with a) her professional beliefs and knowledge and b) what she knew her patient would want.

But doctors can get it wrong to, and in this case, she did. Apparently the shrine did have some effect on the situation. But she figured it out quickly and solved the problem.

I don't think that she was out of place disagreeing with the others. She was putting the life of her patient first. TPTB did a very nice job at presenting her on the wrong side of a moral dilemma, and then showing how she can maturely turn around and fix it when she realizes the truth.

We've been looking for her to mature, and we've got a bit of that here. Great!

Comment

I have to agree with musicahumana, Ronon, Teyla, Shep, Jeannie, et al were all gung ho for the final 'sane' day with Rodney so they could say their goodbyes. Woolsey even got in the act with his dad, likely musing that if there were a slim chance he too would've liked a chance to say goodbye.

All of which have nothing to do with Rodney's wants. Keller recognized that Rodney would've not liked the idea, he already said his goodbyes. A day of clarity knowing you're going to die is not everyone's cup of tea.

It's not a matter of not entirely believing Ronon and Teyla ~ it seemed rather fanciful (until the radiation and energy levels were detected) & would the myth had been life-saving, I'm sure Keller's stance would've altered a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by musicahumana View Post
                          I think it's important to remember that Keller and McKay were both on the same side. She knew that he'd be horrified to become himself again and realize that he only had about a day left to live. I believe she said that giving him that time would be torture. And McKay reiterated that when they actually got him to the shrine.

Also, because they're both scientists, they wouldn't put much faith in a "shrine." Not when they've got medical and scientific options to pursue, at least. They were both on the same page, there.

And, sure, perhaps she was feeling personally attached to him. At the very least, it's been shown that the two are friends--something that doesn't seem to come easy by McKay. But she was willing to forego the shrine in order to stick with a) her professional beliefs and knowledge and b) what she knew her patient would want.

But doctors can get it wrong to, and in this case, she did. Apparently the shrine did have some effect on the situation. But she figured it out quickly and solved the problem.

I don't think that she was out of place disagreeing with the others. She was putting the life of her patient first. TPTB did a very nice job at presenting her on the wrong side of a moral dilemma, and then showing how she can maturely turn around and fix it when she realizes the truth.

We've been looking for her to mature, and we've got a bit of that here. Great!

Well said!

Spoiler:
                          This can sometimes be a difficult place, thus the reason why physicians don't often treat their own families, can mess w/the judgement.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jtjaforever View Post
                            Well said!

Spoiler:
                            This can sometimes be a difficult place, thus the reason why physicians don't often treat their own families, can mess w/the judgement.

Spoiler:
                            And the same reason why Doctors shouldn't treat patients they have romantic feelings for... it can mess with their judgement. but it looks like TPTB are going to ignore the Doctor/Patient thing..
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jtjaforever View Post
                              Very true. This reminds me about that movie with Nathan Fillion, where he's a waitress's gynecologist...most of us would argue that that relationship (in this movie for which I forget the name, something about pies, maybe?) was inappropriate on a professional level. So, yes, I think everyone agrees that there are lines that shouldn't be crossed.

But if you think about it, as his next of kin, Jeannie had the ultimate say...and she was just as emotionally invested as everyone else. And in the end, you can't help feeling something, even if you're the doctor. No matter what happened, emotions would be present in the decision making process.

Keller and McKay aren't romantically involved. (At least not yet.) In a base as (relatively) small as Atlantis, I doubt that it's difficult to resist becoming emotionally attached in some way to your peers. So the line as who should or shouldn't treat who has to budge a little, I think. So far, Keller treating McKay isn't out of bounds.

And even if this wasn't true, it's a TV show, so we've got to allow for a little suspension of disbelief. I mean, who in their right mind would walk through a wormhole that basically takes them apart and puts them back together again? (Same with the ST transporter idea.) A little bit of tweaking regarding rules of conduct pales in comparison. <grin>

It does make me wonder if Keller will have another doctor work with him in the future, though. Perhaps that really cool Asian doctor (again, I've forgotten her name...I'm as bad as McKay!) who pops up every once in a while. She seems pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Browncoat1984 View Post
                                I didn't find Keller's jump in confidence this episode odd at all. Keller is suppose to be an excellent doctor, and in this episode she showed that she was. Remember, when we first saw her she wasn't too sure of herself, but wouldn't you be that way if you were in her position? You just learned that there were lifeforms in other galaxies you had never even heard of before and are thrust into a totally alien situation from what you're used to, you're also replacing someone who was also an excellent doctor and much loved by all who knew him...yeah, I wouldn't be quite so confident of myself either.

Then, in other situations, such as when she was trapped on the planet with Teyla being chased down by a strange race of humans, this is a situation she is not trained for, so sure she's gonna be terrified, being on the run in an unfamiliar situation.

Now we have Keller facing the possibility that someone she's come to care for a great deal is going to die. She's had a year to get used to her position as Atlantis' CMO and prove that she is capable of doing this job, so sure she is going to put aside her confidence and bring forth all of her medical knowledge and talent to try and save her friend. This is what she was trained to do, and she's doing it well.

I think that Keller's development here makes sense and Jewel did a great job. Overall, everyone did a great job in this episode and it really was a tear-jerker., and the next new episode looks to be just as good.
                                This is exactly what I think. Plus, I never felt that Keller lacked confidence when she was faced with a crisis. Sure, in First Strike she tells Elizabeth that she doesn't think she's right for the job, but then when the laser grazed the tower she took charge quickly and efficiently.

So yea, character development, but she had it in her since the beginning I think.
                                sigpic
                                Sig made by Pic-Collswan

Comment

Working...
                                X