Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, I think three series would be great.

But I also think that the franchise could start falling into the StarTrek trap: Too many spin-offs and people start losing interest. Instead of introducing us to more and more new characters, IMHO, they should embelish the characters they already have. Give us a deeper look into their personalities, what their childhood was like, etc...
    sigpic
    The Return of King Arthur
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
    acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Comment

Originally posted by sinfuldraconis View Post
      I'm just saying that we should maybe consider looking on the positive side of things - not just for the fans, but for the actors/actresses as well.
      Well, I wouldn't be so upset if the end of Atlantis had been planned a year ago and if the story had been planned to be neatly terminated in episode 5x20.

But the way it looks, SGA will just stop in the middle of a storyline and end on a cliffhanger. Psheh.
      My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
      Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Laura Dove View Post
        Well, I wouldn't be so upset if the end of Atlantis had been planned a year ago and if the story had been planned to be neatly terminated in episode 5x20.

But the way it looks, SGA will just stop in the middle of a storyline and end on a cliffhanger. Psheh.
        But isn't that what SG-1 did also with the Ori and then it was taken care of in AoT? I think they've said they will wrap up the loose threads for Atlantis in the movie, so it's not like we'll be left hanging indefinitely like 99% of other series that are canceled.

Comment

But isn't that what SG-1 did also with the Ori and then it was taken care of in AoT? I think they've said they will wrap up the loose threads for Atlantis in the movie, so it's not like we'll be left hanging indefinitely like 99% of other series that are canceled.
          I don't know about SG-1, but by planning the end of the series instead of letting it happen without a warning, they could have truly ended previous storylines, instead of adding new ones in season 5. We could have learnt more about Atlantis and about the wraith, instead of getting a new enemy that will last half a season at best.
          My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
          Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
          sigpic

Comment

Why not see this as an opportunity to enjoy 3 different types of Stargate shows?

The cancellation of SGA probably means they will be coming out with Stargate Universe. We'll still have both SG1 and SGA in movie format. What's wrong with that? We'll still have all three 'series' to keep us going.

Everyone knew it was a possibility that SGA was going to get canceled after this season. Joe Mallozzi's been saying it forever now.

Jason Momoa has said he didn't know how long he wanted to continue playing Ronon; Joe Flanigan said in an interview that he didn't know how long he would want to play John Sheppard; David Hewlett, Rachel Luttrel, and Jason Momoa are all new parents. Why not allow them to get on with their lives?

This isn't always all about the fans. Think about how this opens the actors and actresses to pursue other interests now. Sure, they are probably sad that they won't be seeing each other every day and only filming movies, but think about how relieved they must be to have free time to spend with their families, or move on to other projects.

I'm just saying that we should maybe consider looking on the positive side of things - not just for the fans, but for the actors/actresses as well.
            It's funny that all these excuses didn't prevent TPTB from stretching SG-1 up to ten season though.
            It's quite amusing to see that outside of the Showtime era, both SG-1 and SGA lasted five years, and were mediocre experiences in light of what was done on Showtime.

Take it that way: at least it couldn't go more downhill.

Oh, wait. There's that movie they're planning now. Ahhrr.
            The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

I wouldn't have a problem with the cancellation if it hadn't been made clear that it meant the series would end on a cliffhanger.

Comment

Despite any rumors, I believe MGM and the production team ultimately made the decision to end the series. And I say kudos to them. Go out strong and then reappear with a different show to recapture the imaginations of fans everywhere.

Comment

Why not see this as an opportunity to enjoy 3 different types of Stargate shows?

The cancellation of SGA probably means they will be coming out with Stargate Universe. We'll still have both SG1 and SGA in movie format. What's wrong with that? We'll still have all three 'series' to keep us going.

Everyone knew it was a possibility that SGA was going to get canceled after this season. Joe Mallozzi's been saying it forever now.

Jason Momoa has said he didn't know how long he wanted to continue playing Ronon; Joe Flanigan said in an interview that he didn't know how long he would want to play John Sheppard; David Hewlett, Rachel Luttrel, and Jason Momoa are all new parents. Why not allow them to get on with their lives?

This isn't always all about the fans. Think about how this opens the actors and actresses to pursue other interests now. Sure, they are probably sad that they won't be seeing each other every day and only filming movies, but think about how relieved they must be to have free time to spend with their families, or move on to other projects.

I personally don't know of any man/woman willing to leave a steady and succesfull work for a "new project".
                  They had the best show in their hands and they didn't lose fans, although they made one mistake after the other.
                  They lost their main female character(Weir), they damaged the other(Teyla) and yet the rest of the cast(mainly Mckay and Zelenka if you ask me) managed to keep the fans interested and coming, more and more every year.
                  And in case some people haven't realized it.... it's not the STARGATES that had kept people interested all those years. It was the CITY OF ATLANTIS.
                  No other sg++ will even that...
                  SGA had fans of it's own, we weren't SG+++ fans, but SGA fans. It's just that simple..
                  Atlantis was the main character of the show and they just let it .... sunk
                  Spoiler:
                  APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
                  (YEAR 0 - 100)
                  "O thou Sun,
                  send me as far over the earth
                  as is my pleasure and thine,
                  and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
                  but never hear anything of bad ones,
                  nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Morrolan View Post
                    Despite any rumors, I believe MGM and the production team ultimately made the decision to end the series. And I say kudos to them. Go out strong and then reappear with a different show to recapture the imaginations of fans everywhere.
                    If the production team was in on the decision, there was no need for them to have the series finale be a cliffhanger. For that matter, why introduce new enemies halfway through the last season when it would be better used wrapping up existing plotlines?

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
                      There's a debate about this in every single thread since the cancellation news, so I thought, let's make a thread where it's not (at least partly) off topic.
                      I don't think that the one would do it without the others agreement!
                      Spoiler:
                      APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
                      (YEAR 0 - 100)
                      "O thou Sun,
                      send me as far over the earth
                      as is my pleasure and thine,
                      and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
                      but never hear anything of bad ones,
                      nor they of me."

sigpic

Comment

I think it's pretty obvious that this was MGM's decision
                        While SCI FI has not yet announced a green light for that show, the end of Atlantis may clear the way -- the dollars available for original programming, that is -- for the next series.
                        http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/0..._end_thi.shtml
                        sigpic
                        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by MyStargateLife View Post
                          Gateworld says it was Sci-Fi channel that canceled it.
                          GW is wrong. MGM pulled the plug. Those press released from NBC and Multichannel say nothing about SCI FI cancelling it for ratings or whatever. When SG-1 was cancelled, they took the blame and said the show was too expensive to renew. They did not say that for SGA.
                          sigpic

Comment

Why is this a BLAME game?

Why do you have to have somebody to blame when this is purely an accounting situation. Revenues minus cost did not equal the profit that a business was looking for.

If you want to blame something, blame costs for going up.

Blame the revenues for not being high enough.

Blame the people who could've watched the show but didn't or could've bought more DVD's but didn't.

Blame the worldwide economic balance that didn't produce a good exchange rate.

But, I don't see the reason whatever entity (it could have been both) that did the math and it just didn't produce a profit number that they liked moving forward.

You can even blame capitalism if you like. Or blame the stockholders of these companies who for some strange reason buy a stock and expect it not to go down in value.

Comment

SG-1 went on for ten years and two movies and nothing got solved. The Gould still existed, the replicators sill existed, nobody got married or had any kids or even kissed each other.. At the end of continuum, things were just about the same as at the start.
                              Now SGA is ending with a movie. Want to bet that few loose ends get tied up. The film will be big and have more special effects but Atlantis at the ending will be little different. That is why I liked farscape and JAG, There was an ending.
                              the Sci-fi channel seems to be unable to take chances,

Comment

By S8 of Sg1 all the goa'uld system lords had been wiped out except Ba'al. The replicators were wiped out and Jack and Carter began dating. In 9 and 10 we're shown the goa'uld have become more like insurgents, acting on a small scale than their once masterful empirers that they had. Do you think you can wipe out a WHOLE species?

We're shown what happened to the power vaccuum left by the goa'uld - The Lucian Alliance.

What more do you want?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X