Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Chief Master Sergeant sinfuldraconis's Avatar

Default Re: Why not look at it this way?

Quote Originally Posted by BambiScott View Post
    true but us fans desver a last season! We need a season 6! then the can air SGU like they did with sg1/sga then get rid of atlantis if they want to.
    If they did that, I personally think each of the projects would suffer greatly. If they write/produce 20 Atlantis episodes, 20 Universe episodes, 1-2 SG-1 movies, and 1-2 Atlantis movies, that would really stretch the writers, the casts, the crew, and the producers very thin.

Quote Originally Posted by Pic-CollSwan View Post
    True, I'm not going to go bent on a Save-Atlantis campaign, it's just a shock considering how well season 5 has been doing.
    True, it has been doing better than last season, but it's still not bringing in the ratings that Eureka and even wrestling has been bringing in.

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by sinfuldraconis View Post
    If they did that, I personally think each of the projects would suffer greatly. If they write/produce 20 Atlantis episodes, 20 Universe episodes, 1-2 SG-1 movies, and 1-2 Atlantis movies, that would really stretch the writers, the casts, the crew, and the producers very thin.
    well then get new writers! Evryone complains that sga is copying sg1 alot and it will be the same when sgu gets on. I just want another season so they can have a blow out last season.

True, it has been doing better than last season, but it's still not bringing in the ratings that Eureka and even wrestling has been bringing in.
    maybe not for live +sd but check out the ratings after live +7
    The series that gets the most boost in the 18-49 demo from DVR playback is Sci Fi Channel's "Stargate: Atlantis," which on average doubles its numbers when factoring in Live+7 data.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...6a2745ffc8c7fc

Chief Master Sergeant Frontastic's Avatar

Why not see this as an opportunity to enjoy 3 different types of Stargate shows?

The cancellation of SGA probably means they will be coming out with Stargate Universe. We'll still have both SG1 and SGA in movie format. What's wrong with that? We'll still have all three 'series' to keep us going.

Everyone knew it was a possibility that SGA was going to get canceled after this season. Joe Mallozzi's been saying it forever now.

Jason Momoa has said he didn't know how long he wanted to continue playing Ronon; Joe Flanigan said in an interview that he didn't know how long he would want to play John Sheppard; David Hewlett, Rachel Luttrel, and Jason Momoa are all new parents. Why not allow them to get on with their lives?

This isn't always all about the fans. Think about how this opens the actors and actresses to pursue other interests now. Sure, they are probably sad that they won't be seeing each other every day and only filming movies, but think about how relieved they must be to have free time to spend with their families, or move on to other projects.

I'm just saying that we should maybe consider looking on the positive side of things - not just for the fans, but for the actors/actresses as well.
    You make great points and I agree with them. But we all know this is just MGM trying to get Universe like somone else said. Everyone says they're going to stop watching SciFi, and you know what the first thing that popped into my head was? This is going to kill Sanctuary, poor Amanda.

Ten Years, A Lot Of Enemies, A Presumed Death, A Complete Back Story Rewrite....But Still Looking Good!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontastic View Post
    Everyone says they're going to stop watching SciFi, and you know what the first thing that popped into my head was? This is going to kill Sanctuary, poor Amanda.
    That's exactly why I refuse to boycott the channel. I still support all the actors/actresses on the shows, as well as the writers, producers, directors, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BambiScott View Post
    well then get new writers! Evryone complains that sga is copying sg1 alot and it will be the same when sgu gets on. I just want another season so they can have a blow out last season.
    You talk like good science fiction writers are coming out of the woodwork. Even the ones we have don't come up to scratch every single episode. I think it would possibly have been too much to handle 3 shows running together, even if one of them is now a movie franchise. If a gamble's been taken to try and secure SGU on Sci Fi and keep the franchise going beyond whatever Atlantis' shelf life might have been on television, let's hope it pays off and the show is actually worth watching. Personally, I would have quite happily just have stuck with Atlantis as a season, but then they took the gamble that hopefully not everyone will feel that way.
    Science fiction movies are weak just where the science fiction novels are strong - on science. But they can supply something the novels can never provide - sensuous elaboration by means of images and sounds. Science fiction films are not about science. They are about disaster.

The Imagination of Disaster, Susan Sontag

This sig is sponsored by Pegasus Fried Human - The Todd's Choice

Quote Originally Posted by Frontastic View Post
    You make great points and I agree with them. But we all know this is just MGM trying to get Universe like somone else said. Everyone says they're going to stop watching SciFi, and you know what the first thing that popped into my head was? This is going to kill Sanctuary, poor Amanda.
    it makes no sense to stop watching SCI FI since they weren't responsible for the cancellation

Chief Master Sergeant General Catflap's Avatar

why not see this as an opportunity to enjoy 3 different types of stargate shows?

The cancellation of sga probably means they will be coming out with stargate universe. We'll still have both sg1 and sga in movie format. What's wrong with that? We'll still have all three 'series' to keep us going.

Everyone knew it was a possibility that sga was going to get canceled after this season. Joe mallozzi's been saying it forever now.

Jason momoa has said he didn't know how long he wanted to continue playing ronon; joe flanigan said in an interview that he didn't know how long he would want to play john sheppard; david hewlett, rachel luttrel, and jason momoa are all new parents. Why not allow them to get on with their lives?

This isn't always all about the fans. Think about how this opens the actors and actresses to pursue other interests now. Sure, they are probably sad that they won't be seeing each other every day and only filming movies, but think about how relieved they must be to have free time to spend with their families, or move on to other projects.

I'm just saying that we should maybe consider looking on the positive side of things - not just for the fans, but for the actors/actresses as well.
    i totally agree!!!!!!! Green for you!!

Spoiler:
    McKay: Crap!

Hermiod: What did you do?

McKay: I ran it through a translation programme, it's Wraith.

Hermiod: Crap indeed!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    O'Neall: Yasureyoubetya!

Earth Symbol Re: Why not look at it this way?

Hello all, I'm new to the forum, but have been a Stargate fan forever.

I do agree with all this. I really thought Atlantis had another good season in it also, but I'm not surprised about the cancellation either. It's been talked
    around all over the place in the last few months.

I will continue to watch Sci-fi, I will support Amanda Tapping's new show, and the new Stargate series. When Atlantis began, I didn't know any of the cast members except a couple, and I grew to love them all, I hope for the same results with the new Stargate.

And you're right, how many shows get canceled, and the fans never hear anything from them again? Too many to name. At least we get something, even if it's not as good as a series, it's better than what most shows get.

So I will continue on watching this last season, and look for all the actors from now on and support them in what they choose to do.

Lieutenant Colonel SamJackShipper93's Avatar

Personally, I think three series would be great.

But I also think that the franchise could start falling into the StarTrek trap: Too many spin-offs and people start losing interest. Instead of introducing us to more and more new characters, IMHO, they should embelish the characters they already have. Give us a deeper look into their personalities, what their childhood was like, etc...

The Return of King Arthur
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart; lean not on your own understanding. In all of ways
    acknowledge him, and he'll make your path straight. Proverbs 3:5-6

Well, I wouldn't be so upset if the end of Atlantis had been planned a year ago and if the story had been planned to be neatly terminated in episode 5x20.

But the way it looks, SGA will just stop in the middle of a storyline and end on a cliffhanger. Psheh.
    My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
    Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
    Thank you for Pegasus 4, Chris!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Dove View Post
    Well, I wouldn't be so upset if the end of Atlantis had been planned a year ago and if the story had been planned to be neatly terminated in episode 5x20.

But the way it looks, SGA will just stop in the middle of a storyline and end on a cliffhanger. Psheh.
    But isn't that what SG-1 did also with the Ori and then it was taken care of in AoT? I think they've said they will wrap up the loose threads for Atlantis in the movie, so it's not like we'll be left hanging indefinitely like 99% of other series that are canceled.

But isn't that what SG-1 did also with the Ori and then it was taken care of in AoT? I think they've said they will wrap up the loose threads for Atlantis in the movie, so it's not like we'll be left hanging indefinitely like 99% of other series that are canceled.
    I don't know about SG-1, but by planning the end of the series instead of letting it happen without a warning, they could have truly ended previous storylines, instead of adding new ones in season 5. We could have learnt more about Atlantis and about the wraith, instead of getting a new enemy that will last half a season at best.
    My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
    Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
    Thank you for Pegasus 4, Chris!

Lieutenant Colonel Mister Oragahn's Avatar

Why not see this as an opportunity to enjoy 3 different types of Stargate shows?

The cancellation of SGA probably means they will be coming out with Stargate Universe. We'll still have both SG1 and SGA in movie format. What's wrong with that? We'll still have all three 'series' to keep us going.

Everyone knew it was a possibility that SGA was going to get canceled after this season. Joe Mallozzi's been saying it forever now.

Jason Momoa has said he didn't know how long he wanted to continue playing Ronon; Joe Flanigan said in an interview that he didn't know how long he would want to play John Sheppard; David Hewlett, Rachel Luttrel, and Jason Momoa are all new parents. Why not allow them to get on with their lives?

It's funny that all these excuses didn't prevent TPTB from stretching SG-1 up to ten season though.
    It's quite amusing to see that outside of the Showtime era, both SG-1 and SGA lasted five years, and were mediocre experiences in light of what was done on Showtime.

Take it that way: at least it couldn't go more downhill.

Oh, wait. There's that movie they're planning now. Ahhrr.

I wouldn't have a problem with the cancellation if it hadn't been made clear that it meant the series would end on a cliffhanger.

Default Re: Who exactly canceled SGA, MGM or Sci-Fi?

Despite any rumors, I believe MGM and the production team ultimately made the decision to end the series. And I say kudos to them. Go out strong and then reappear with a different show to recapture the imaginations of fans everywhere.

I personally don't know of any man/woman willing to leave a steady and succesfull work for a "new project".
    They had the best show in their hands and they didn't lose fans, although they made one mistake after the other.
    They lost their main female character(Weir), they damaged the other(Teyla) and yet the rest of the cast(mainly Mckay and Zelenka if you ask me) managed to keep the fans interested and coming, more and more every year.
    And in case some people haven't realized it.... it's not the STARGATES that had kept people interested all those years. It was the CITY OF ATLANTIS.
    No other sg++ will even that...
    SGA had fans of it's own, we weren't SG+++ fans, but SGA fans. It's just that simple..
    Atlantis was the main character of the show and they just let it .... sunk
    Spoiler:
    APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
    (YEAR 0 - 100)
    "O thou Sun,
    send me as far over the earth
    as is my pleasure and thine,
    and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
    but never hear anything of bad ones,
    nor they of me."

Quote Originally Posted by Morrolan View Post
    Despite any rumors, I believe MGM and the production team ultimately made the decision to end the series. And I say kudos to them. Go out strong and then reappear with a different show to recapture the imaginations of fans everywhere.
    If the production team was in on the decision, there was no need for them to have the series finale be a cliffhanger. For that matter, why introduce new enemies halfway through the last season when it would be better used wrapping up existing plotlines?

Quote Originally Posted by pjt View Post
    There's a debate about this in every single thread since the cancellation news, so I thought, let's make a thread where it's not (at least partly) off topic.
    I don't think that the one would do it without the others agreement!
    Spoiler:
    APOLLONIUS OF TYANA
    (YEAR 0 - 100)
    "O thou Sun,
    send me as far over the earth
    as is my pleasure and thine,
    and may I make the acquaintance of good men,
    but never hear anything of bad ones,
    nor they of me."