Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you would watch a new show SG Universe or an SG Command if...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
    Yes indeed, Tibet is an attrocity. Maybe it's just me, but I LOVE the politics in the Gateverse
    Nope, it's not just you. I also think one of Stargate's strengths lay in its political stories and arcs. More (or some) of these would make me happier about Atlantis, too.

I don't see any other nation getting the gate, certainly not Britain (though my interests obviously lie there)
    A British spin on Stargate could be interesting, but then I too am biased. I wonder why the UK hasn't featured more in Stargate, beyond a few Wraith-fodder and the occasional blink and you'll miss it Union Flag or a dull, vanilla IOA rep. More potential for political intrigue there - are we Brits as reliable an ally in the Gateverse, or do we also have an agenda - or do the US just not want to share?

The US has no right to represent the world in such a way, but then neither does Britain. Neither does China, BUT I think it's conceivable within the show that it could happen and would be interesting because of the problems it would cause. I certainly think it would be a much more intelligent show in some ways.

But still, as I said, SGA wasn't the Air Force...
    It would certainly be interesting for Atlantis if the Stargate changes hands, if only for a short time.

Given Stargate's global appeal and fanbase, an increased international presence or feel to the franchise seems logical, and desirable, except for the occasional difficulty of casting.

I would still watch Stargate regardless of which nation has the gate in the show, and as has been mentioned, a gate-centred power struggle, possibly even with the Stargate changing hands for a while, could be very interesting. The only things that would stop me watching Stargate are bad writing and tired, repetitive plots. And SGA S5 is starting tonight here in the UK, so I'll see if it fits that description.
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

I will keep watching SG as long as it's on air, but I won't like it as much if China were put in charge. Is it really good for communists to be representing Earth? Now, on the other hand, NATO could take it over, and that would be fine, but I don't like the idea of it being moved. It should stay in Cheyenne Mountain. But the SGC levels of it will now be a NATO run multi-national military installation, not unlike a foreign embassy, or Atlantis. That's how I'd like to see it, if the US must be takien out of power. (being American I would like them to stay in charge)

Comment

I'd watch Stargate: Kazakhstan starring Borat.
        sigpic
        "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
        ~David Hewlett

Comment

lool borat could fight in the first line against warith, because they would be scared what whould happen to them if they would suck him
          ...science/physics/universe can't tell good from bad, which means that both concepts are abstract and don't matter... don't be afraid of acting on this knowledge...

Comment

...another nation took control of the stargate programme, as has been hinted at in several seasons of SG1, particularly the Chinese? Would you be more or less willing to watch the show if complete control of the gate was handed to an International Body (NOT the IOA, but a similar organisation to NATO)?
            letmethinkaboutthatno

ummmmmmm.....no

did i mention, NO??

But I'm not opinionated or anything

Like it or not, Stargate's primary audiences are north american/australian/european. The asian culture is very different from ours (which is fine, obviously), and I'm afraid that moving it to that arena would alienate those who identify with the show. AKA the fans.

And moving it there and then "Westernizing" the feel of that country would be a waste, and probably offensive to people of that culture.
            sigpic

"The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-colored flags!" -Amanda Tapping

SG-1 FanFiction
            Sanctuary Fanfiction

Comment

what should happen is they move the gate to Antarctica build like a big military base there with ppl from all the countries that know about the gate because the idea that the U.S. would give up control of the gate to one country is just crazy.

Comment

I don't see any other nation getting the gate, certainly not Britain (though my interests obviously lie there)
                A British spin on Stargate could be interesting, but then I too am biased. I wonder why the UK hasn't featured more in Stargate, beyond a few Wraith-fodder and the occasional blink and you'll miss it Union Flag or a dull, vanilla IOA rep. More potential for political intrigue there - are we Brits as reliable an ally in the Gateverse, or do we also have an agenda - or do the US just not want to share?
                Indeed it would be nice to have a few more Brits running around the place, you'd think that given the "special relationship" between Britain and the States that we'd have a larger presence in the Gateverse aside from a few guys at Atlantis. It would be nice to see, for example, a British team at the SGC or a couple of SAS stationed on Atlantis, single-handedly destroying Wraith Hive ships armed with nothing but a small fruit knife, but I think that's something of a forlorn hope. (Also for some reason I can't help but fear that if they did include some British characters they'd choose someone like Ross Kemp. )

As for the original question, possibly, depending on how well it's done. It would be interesting to see the political back biting and skulduggery going on on a daily basis but I can see it getting old quick. Likewise the powerplays as well as ideological and national tensions could quickly spin things out of control unless you have some means of banding all the nations together against some common foe, and even then I think it would take every nation on the planet being adversely affected by something, or someone, (and by affected I mean in the orbital bombardment sense of the word) to really band everyone together long enough for it to work, otherwise it could spectacularly fall apart. Unfortunately the Milky Way is looking fairly void of threats at present, the Ori could have done it, the Snake-Heads could have and the Replicators could have, but the SGC has been awfully efficient in stamping out those problems, leaving the only real danger to Earth being the people living on it.
                "They who complain, in peace, of the insolence of the populace, must remember, that their insolence in peace is bravery in war." Dr Johnson

Comment

...another nation took control of the stargate programme, as has been hinted at in several seasons of SG1, particularly the Chinese? Would you be more or less willing to watch the show if complete control of the gate was handed to an International Body (NOT the IOA, but a similar organisation to NATO)?
                  Handing it over to the Chinese would require a suspension of disbelief that most scifi fans couldn't even come up with, and we have really good imaginations. The situation would have to become Iconic before that'd happen.

Now, giving it to a NATO-like organization- sure. It's still massively underwritten by the US but there's better international involvement and it's comprised of democratic states. That would be a little more realistic. And it could be moved out of the US to Antarctica or the moon because the Stargate is the ultimate NIMBY industry. I mean, just imagine what the residents of Colorado would think if they ever found out.

But, there's a certain attitude that comes with it being run by the USAF. You can call it whatever you want (BTW, "cowboy" isn't necessarily an insult ) but making this kind of endeavor more politically palatable has always been seen as a negative by the members of the Stargate team, even if they are sociopolitical nerds or aliens. Autonomy is a nice thing to have. So, if we can be sure the denizens of earth continue to be a little daring and even moralizing, sure. But, if they're going to abide by multinational protocols and always postulate that the bad guy is merely misunderstood, then forget it. I can watch BSG if I want that.
                  Last edited by VSS; 19 August 2008, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BwenGun View Post
                    It would be nice to see, for example, a British team at the SGC or a couple of SAS stationed on Atlantis, single-handedly destroying Wraith Hive ships armed with nothing but a small fruit knife
                    What the hell kind of sissy, green, SAS soldier would need a fruit knife to destroy a hive ship?!?! At most they'd use a rusty teaspoon...and SBS just have to look at the damn thing.

(Also for some reason I can't help but fear that if they did include some British characters they'd choose someone like Ross Kemp. )
                    A tremendous fear of mine, too. For this reason alone, perhaps it's for the best that we Brits are not allowed into the Stargate Program or Atlantis Expedition in large numbers.
                    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                    sigpic
                    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                      What the hell kind of sissy, green, SAS soldier would need a fruit knife to destroy a hive ship?!?! At most they'd use a rusty teaspoon...and SBS just have to look at the damn thing.
                      Ah yes, you are of course right. Hell a rusty teaspoon might be pushing it past the realms of possibility, in reality they could probably do it armed with nothing but harsh words and their bare hands.

A tremendous fear of mine, too. For this reason alone, perhaps it's for the best that we Brits are not allowed into the Stargate Program or Atlantis Expedition in large numbers.
                      Aye, though they could always be sensible and pick someone decent, like Sean Bean. Or... urm, dunno really, there are some good British male actors who could fill such a role, just none I can name off the top of my head.
                      "They who complain, in peace, of the insolence of the populace, must remember, that their insolence in peace is bravery in war." Dr Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by DesertFox2020 View Post
                        I will keep watching SG as long as it's on air, but I won't like it as much if China were put in charge. Is it really good for communists to be representing Earth? Now, on the other hand, NATO could take it over, and that would be fine, but I don't like the idea of it being moved. It should stay in Cheyenne Mountain. But the SGC levels of it will now be a NATO run multi-national military installation, not unlike a foreign embassy, or Atlantis. That's how I'd like to see it, if the US must be takien out of power. (being American I would like them to stay in charge)
                        a) They're NOT communists. They like to think they are, but they're not. Really not. Look up communism. Fascists yes. But definitely capitalist.

b) Do people not get that the Chinese would probably be seizing the gate politically with international backing, it wouldnt BE a good thing in the show, it would be an intelligent political story.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by whiteout49 View Post
                          what should happen is they move the gate to Antarctica build like a big military base there with ppl from all the countries that know about the gate because the idea that the U.S. would give up control of the gate to one country is just crazy.
                          I think this is far more likely. Look at the protest from SG fans for goodness sake. There would be international pressure from those countries who knew about stargate and China would be in a tricky position they would need US / SG intel to effectively run it anyway. Moving the gates to international zones and having a more representative team or teams would be very interesting -it would pull in more interesting political plots not just mainstream US politics - rather obvious stuff anyway given SG's international following, and SG can cope with more complex plots especially with the lack of foe now Ba'al and Ori are gone.
                          sigpic

Jack: 'Mature symbiote, Immature host'
                          Teal'c: 'Indeed'
                          Artifysial: 'Thanks a million'

Comment

ONe thing that would be cool to see would be if the countries that are part of the Atlantis expedition had their own SGC style training sites for both their military and civillian personell in order to prepare them for offworld assignments.

Its interestng to note the idea of a neutral location for a new SGC - here is a quote form the Wiki entry on Altantis located at. Relivent bit in bold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_Atlantis

The Stargate SG-1 seventh season ending two part episode "Lost City," was supposed to be a bridge between Stargate SG-1 and a new spin-off, either a show or a movie, which was not planned to run at the same time as Stargate SG-1. Wright and Cooper rewrote the script as the two-part season seven finale, and moved the setting of the story. The city of Atlantis, originally planned to be on Earth under Antarctica in place of the SGC, was moved to the Pegasus Galaxy. The change was to prevent fans from wondering why Stargate Command would not come to help them, and also gave the producers the chance to start afresh and not be an identical copy of the original show.
                            Personally, I think it would be nice to see the international aspect cranked up in Atlantis a bit. It appears to have been forgotten about, and the international apsect of the expo is one of the key things that drew me to Atlantis in the first place!

Re UK citizens in Stargate, be careful for what you wish for! - Gall, Grodan and Beckett were all British characters in Atlantis, and we got a former Eastenders actor playing a Jaffa in SG1! Specifically Craig Fairbrass as Arkad, in Talion - His broad cockney accent had me wincing all through the episode, as it wrecked credibility.

Lets see what Atlantis and hopefully Universe has to offer. I think Universe in particular has potential in scale if nothing else, to pick up the international team pieces that Atlantis has dropped. - If its done correctly.
                            Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
                            Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

i wouldn't mind a russian sgc, bit more 'hard line' than the US sgc. chinese might be good too.

aussies would just be throwing goa'uld onto bar b q's instead of shrimps, and gaining super cooling tech for their "tinnies".................. "gooday, i'm colonel bruce oniell and this is major shiela carter...................."

this should never happen

us brits would just end up queuing in line after the tokra to take down apophis. "no, no, after you.........."

the french would just find a way for 2 way wormhole travel for ease in a 'tactical withdrawal'
                              sigpic
                              EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                              -Liberty Prime

Comment

Yes indeed, Tibet is an attrocity.[...]
                                So is Guantanamo.

I'd watch it.

Comment

Working...
                                X