We're running out of Whitestars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're running out of Whitestars?

In the 5th season of Babylon 5 and in preparation for Crusade no doubt, Sheridan and Delenn plan to build a new class of ship [the Victory] because they're running out of Whitestars. They spoke about salvaging bits of destroyed Whitestars, I assume to salvage parts. Can anyone shed some more light on this situation? With the Vorlons gone, did the Minbari lose the ability to grow the Vorlon organic armour or other components they provided? On the other hand, Earthforce was able to apply Shadowtech to the internal workings of the Warlock class, and the Victory class was supposed to have Vorlon organic armour grown across its hull.

So the question again... Why were Whitestars considered a non-renewable resource after season 5?
    sigpic
    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Wasn't the problem rather that the Whitestars were used as a multi-purpose ship for any type of mission, including those where a cruiser or even a battleship would be more appropriate, when technically it was only a Light/Medium Destroyer?

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
    The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

I remember them saying the Whitestars were being thrown against any and everything, and those poor ships ARE the workhorses of B5. Still, the first couple made it sound like they were running out and couldn't make any more.
      sigpic
      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
        I remember them saying the Whitestars were being thrown against any and everything, and those poor ships ARE the workhorses of B5. Still, the first couple made it sound like they were running out and couldn't make any more.
        Nope. they never said that. it was just the thing about them needing a more dedicated battleship.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I know we saw a 'blue star' in 'Sleeping In Light', so that makes me believe the ability to make Whitestars never eluded us. Still, their conversations did make me question it. Maybe they just meant that they couldn't keep the production vs destruction ratio at an acceptable level.
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

No, they didn't run out of Vorlon tech to make Whitestars. The Excalibur in Crusade incorporates that same technology, and it was built several years after the Vorlons left. It's just that they couldn't keep up the pace making new Whitestars since so many were being destroyed on various missions, as well as being spread out throughout the alliance.
            sigpic

Comment

Don't forget the loss of trained and experienced crews that allowed them use Whitestar's at full effectiveness!!!

Comment

what they talk about is making a stronger Destroyer class Whitestar. The Victory and Excalabur were a differant project devised between the Alliance and Earthdome.

"Say goodbye to your sanity!"

Spoiler:

Mollari: Isn't it ironic? When I first came to Babylon 5 I had all the choices in the world, and no power at all... now I have all the power I could ever want... and no choice... no choice...

Mollari: It was something my father said. I was just a boy... and I heard him, crying in his room. I asked him what was wrong, and he said "My shoes are too tight... but it does not matter... because I have forgotten how to dance..." ...I never understood that until now... now... my shoes are too tight... and I have forgotten how to dance...
                Vir: I don't understand...
                Mollari: ...nor should you...

Comment

And there's what we saw in the dvd movie,
                  Spoiler:
                  the 'left over Vorlon technology' that allowed them to access 'quantum space'
                  or some bilge. Sigh. JMS. Why?

I guess I just interpreted it wrong. Thanks for the clarity, people.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                  X