Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

did they flew into the wormhole from the BACK of the stargate in the beginning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    Your missing the point. The gate normally has 9 chevrons but only seven (sometimes 8) are ever locked. The CGI on this gate was messed up and only showed 8
    It drives me mad, such incompetence, I wish they'd ****ing get this sorted out...

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
      It drives me mad, such incompetence, I wish they'd ****ing get this sorted out...
      We don't know if it's done on purpose.

Maybe all space gates lack the origin symbol since it's in space...?

To say this is due to incompetence is unlikely. The gates do not change in physical design, regardless the fact that this gate moves around to orient itself toward the jumper, in terms of animation work flow, it would not be necessary to remodel the gate. They only needed to add the thruster jet effects (which can probably be done in 2D composite anyway).

I think it's actually done on purpose.

Comment

IIRC Stargate Universe will touch on the whole 9th chevron.

Comment

Originally posted by Zamboni View Post
          We don't know if it's done on purpose.

Maybe all space gates lack the origin symbol since it's in space...?

To say this is due to incompetence is unlikely. The gates do not change in physical design, regardless the fact that this gate moves around to orient itself toward the jumper, in terms of animation work flow, it would not be necessary to remodel the gate. They only needed to add the thruster jet effects (which can probably be done in 2D composite anyway).

I think it's actually done on purpose.
          It's incompetence. They even used a model of a MW gate with 8 chevrons, but they don't always make the mistake, which leads me to believe that it's either one of the vendors they use that has an incorrect model or the in-house department themselves that do. It wouldn't surprise me it if were them actually, as I'm pretty sure they did the midway CG and they madea mess of the gates for that too.

Comment

Actually, if you think about it, how many 8-chevron gates have we had already? If there's been a lot then we may be able to actually posit the conjecture that this actually is the norm in Pegasus; some gates have 8 chevrons, some have 9. Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
              Actually, if you think about it, how many 8-chevron gates have we had already? If there's been a lot then we may be able to actually posit the conjecture that this actually is the norm in Pegasus; some gates have 8 chevrons, some have 9. Why not?
              They used a MW gate with 8 chevrons. Early on in the series the space gates all had 9 chevrons, it's only in the last three seasons or so that we've randomly been seeing ones with 8 chevrons. Everything points to this just being a goof.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                They used a MW gate with 8 chevrons. Early on in the series the space gates all had 9 chevrons, it's only in the last three seasons or so that we've randomly been seeing ones with 8 chevrons. Everything points to this just being a goof.
                If we've been seeing 8ch gates for three seasons, then it's probably not a random goof anymore...

Maybe the Ancient who was in charge of gate building fell asleep at work or something...

But seriously, I just don't see how it can be "incompetence". The gate model would be shared along with all other SFX resources across both in-house and 3rd party fx companies.

With the possible exception that they use different proprietary 3D software that are incompatible (again, doubtful), I just don't think it could happen.

Also, the fact that many viewers have seen this (as well as posting it on forums and blogs), mean that the producers must know. If it's been going on for 3 seasons then TPTB would have a case to sue the company that did the shots.

I think you're overreacting on the whole "everything points to incompetence" argument. If the shots look terrible or amateurish then *maybe* it could be a goof, but so far they look pristine.

So unless you can cross match every "goof shot" to a particular company that uses a particular 3D software incompatible with the rest, you should retract that pointing finger... Or whatever it is that you use to point.
                (lest Weir decides to invade your power systems and your digits would be stuck and you'll be unable to pass through the gate...)

Comment

If we've been seeing 8ch gates for three seasons, then it's probably not a random goof anymore...

Maybe the Ancient who was in charge of gate building fell asleep at work or something...

But seriously, I just don't see how it can be "incompetence". The gate model would be shared along with all other SFX resources across both in-house and 3rd party fx companies.
                  I'm almost certain they don't share models, I seem to remember them saying as much.

With the possible exception that they use different proprietary 3D software that are incompatible (again, doubtful), I just don't think it could happen.

Also, the fact that many viewers have seen this (as well as posting it on forums and blogs), mean that the producers must know. If it's been going on for 3 seasons then TPTB would have a case to sue the company that did the shots.
                  Don't be ridiculous, they sign off on every shot.

I think you're overreacting on the whole "everything points to incompetence" argument. If the shots look terrible or amateurish then *maybe* it could be a goof, but so far they look pristine.
                  Other than the fact that the gates have the wrong number of chevrons. I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility for the producers just to have not noticed.

So unless you can cross match every "goof shot" to a particular company that uses a particular 3D software incompatible with the rest, you should retract that pointing finger... Or whatever it is that you use to point.
                  (lest Weir decides to invade your power systems and your digits would be stuck and you'll be unable to pass through the gate...)
                  No. It's a blatant goof, use some common sense, the 8 chevroned MW gate all but proves it.

Comment

Whatever the case might be (why wouldn't they share SFX resources? They're on a tight schedule, why would they create everything from scratch?), if TPTB sign off on it, then it is by definition, canon.

Besides, if this is indeed some sort of massive oversight by the modellers, animators, directors, producers, supervisors, and the janitors (okay maybe not the janitors), then it's not really "incompetence".

It's actually "lack of dedication" and "laziness" by this point. Possibly some sort of Wraith engineered plague that aims to lower production value of the show, so that the writers might eventually be forced to jump the shark and give Michael some sort of super weapon that turns Atlantis into a Lego Land...

Comment

Duh, they're not going to put an incomplete or halfassed shot into the final product. But that doesn't mean they didn't make a mistake.
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        Duh, they're not going to put an incomplete or halfassed shot into the final product. But that doesn't mean they didn't make a mistake.
                        Without the show producers or writers definitively saying that it was indeed a mistake, you cannot state otherwise.

Therefore it is not wrong, and they are no "incompetent". You are just too arrogant in your belief that you know *everything* about the stargate universe.

Comment

Working...
                        X