This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replicators vs. Asurans

I noticed a lot of you guys have complained about the Replicators being overused, but have they? When I think of Replicators, I think of the mechanical bugs that seem like evil legos. Those Replicators have only been seen in eight episodes of SG-1 and one movie. Now, I can understand comparing the Human-form Replicators to the Asurans. Different names, different origins, but they serve the same purpose. I think the burn-out comes from being used in too many episodes per season, not so much that they were brought to Atlantis.

In SG-1, they appeared once or twice a year in Seasons 3-6, each featuring 22 episodes. Then they returned full force in Season 8 for 5 of 20 episodes. We didn't see them again for two years where they'd return as a subplot in The Ark of Truth. The stories were spread out, so when we saw them again, they were welcomed. In Season 8, we got a lot of episodes, but that's because their story was coming to an end. Ark of Truth was more of a new breed, one that was short lived.

In Atlantis, they're in 5 of 20 episodes in the third season. They dominated the first half of the fourth season. Now they'll return for tonight's episode which might bring that story to a close.

Were they over used in SG-1? Not really. Were they overused in Atlantis? I'd say so. They would have been more interesting had we gotten individual Asuran villains like Obereth. They could have had longevity if we only saw them a few times a year as a secondary villain who mostly thrived in the shadows, only stepping out when they had something to gain.

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
    I noticed a lot of you guys have complained about the Replicators being overused, but have they? When I think of Replicators, I think of the mechanical bugs that seem like evil legos. Those Replicators have only been seen in eight episodes of SG-1 and one movie. Now, I can understand comparing the Human-form Replicators to the Asurans. Different names, different origins, but they serve the same purpose. I think the burn-out comes from being used in too many episodes per season, not so much that they were brought to Atlantis.

In SG-1, they appeared once or twice a year in Seasons 3-6, each featuring 22 episodes. Then they returned full force in Season 8 for 5 of 20 episodes. We didn't see them again for two years where they'd return as a subplot in The Ark of Truth. The stories were spread out, so when we saw them again, they were welcomed. In Season 8, we got a lot of episodes, but that's because their story was coming to an end. Ark of Truth was more of a new breed, one that was short lived.

In Atlantis, they're in 5 of 20 episodes in the third season. They dominated the first half of the fourth season. Now they'll return for tonight's episode which might bring that story to a close.

Were they over used in SG-1? Not really. Were they overused in Atlantis? I'd say so. They would have been more interesting had we gotten individual Asuran villains like Obereth. They could have had longevity if we only saw them a few times a year as a secondary villain who mostly thrived in the shadows, only stepping out when they had something to gain.
    i have no problem with them honestly, but i prefer the milky way ones over the asurans 1000 ta 1, the asurans are so.... flawed (not even gonna get into it)

the milky way ones are cool they even had them progress as a normal character

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post

The Asurans failed not because they were overused, but because they weren't any different from the MW human-forms who, if you recall, never did any replicating. Tptb did not make them different enough. Sure, they added in the organic replication but, apart from that, they never did anything. Yes, they should have been secondary, but they also should have utilized the fact that they were able to assimilate organic tissue. And what they are doing tonight should have been done back in season 4. And they weren't Ancient enough. Too much emphasis was put on the fact that they were very similar to the human-form replicators, and not enough emphasis on the fact that they had the knowledge and technology of the Ancients. They especially should have developed the idea that they imitated the Ancients.
      Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
      encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
      3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
      4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
      5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
        The Asurans failed not because they were overused, but because they weren't any different from the MW human-forms who, if you recall, never did any replicating. Tptb did not make them different enough. Sure, they added in the organic replication but, apart from that, they never did anything. Yes, they should have been secondary, but they also should have utilized the fact that they were able to assimilate organic tissue. And what they are doing tonight should have been done back in season 4. And they weren't Ancient enough. Too much emphasis was put on the fact that they were very similar to the human-form replicators, and not enough emphasis on the fact that they had the knowledge and technology of the Ancients. They especially should have developed the idea that they imitated the Ancients.
        Personally, I think one of the big mistakes was making them into Ancients more or less. It seemed like there was no way to defeat them. Look how advanced the Wraith are yet they stood no chance against them. In my opinion they didn't differentiate them from the Ancients enough. It was like they were almost impossible to defeat until the TMC and BAMSR episodes.

One thing that would have been interesting to play out is the possible connection that was once mentioned between the MW Replicators and the Asurans. Were they related? Were they both created by the Ancients? Is that why the Ancients had a way to defeat the MW Replicators?

I too hope they are going the right way with this next episode. As much as the series has been dragging in my opinion, I'm still hoping for a revival and at least one more season!

Comment

i found it funny that it seemed the MW replicators seemed 10x more adaptive then the asurans

now i know the problem with the asurans was they were trying TOO HARD to immitate the ancients

but aside from walking threw doors and the hands in the head never realy saw them use the fact they were made of millions of nanocells to there advantage

Comment

Working...
          X