This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to destroy a Hive Ship

It occured to me a very easy way to destroy a hive ship (IMO). The Genii are planning on delivering (By Stargate) atomic/nuclear devices to the hive ships. They're all up and alert now, so the ships are probably swarming with Wraiths looking for a snack. So that probably won't work.

If I were in charge of the Atlantis team, I'd make it priority one to capture a Dart ship, take the transporter technology from the fighter and install it on a puddle jumper.

I'm not sure if they have nukes or not but Dr. McCay says he can build them. If they can't get the supplies, I'd go back to the Genii and steal it from them. Hopefully the cloak would allow them to get close enough to the Hive ships to start beaming Nukes in.

i don;t think hey want to steal anything from the ganii.

(GRR TO THE CADADIANS WHO DON'T HAVE TO WAIT)
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    GS/CS/CC>D?S++:+A----C++++U?P?L+!EW++(+)N-O?K?W---O?
    M+@V?PS+PE--YPGP!T!5!XR+>TV++B+++(++)DI+D-GE-H!R---Y?
    ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
    geekcode

Comment

Originally posted by Gorthaur
      i don;t think hey want to steal anything from the ganii.

(GRR TO THE CADADIANS WHO DON'T HAVE TO WAIT)
      haha, I would transport/beam them all into space first! But that's not PG rated.

Comment

Uh, most hive ships aren't alerted and moving yet...

Even then, a Wraith ship seems to be able to lift off even before everyone within awakens from the hibernation.

The Genii plan COULD work to severely cripple a handful of ships, but I've yet to see an A-Bomb being able to have enough blast radius to vaporize the mountain-sized Wraith ships.
        Enter my game site...

Comment

Originally posted by Gothann
          Uh, most hive ships aren't alerted and moving yet...

Even then, a Wraith ship seems to be able to lift off even before everyone within awakens from the hibernation.

The Genii plan COULD work to severely cripple a handful of ships, but I've yet to see an A-Bomb being able to have enough blast radius to vaporize the mountain-sized Wraith ships.
          a naquada inhanced H-bomb could do it with little efert.
          geekcode

Comment

Originally posted by Gorthaur
            a naquada inhanced H-bomb could do it with little efert.
            You're forgetting: all of the Naquadah is used to power the city, and Naquadriah is impossible to get right now, seeing as how Atlantis is disconnected from The Milky Way.

Besides, it's been said before: TPTB doesn't seem to want to fuse both series together. They REALLY seem to keep both series apart, what with the Zats being replaced with Wraith stunners, Staff Weapons being forgotten altogether, barely ANY mention of Naquadah...
            Enter my game site...

Comment

I dont know wether a nuke could destroy the hive ships, or anything else for that matter, but it would be cool to see one explode. It also may get the Atlantis team in a bit of bother with the other hive ships, unless they are like the Gou'ald and try to out do each other

Comment

I don't think nuke even with Naquadah would be enough to destroy a wraith hive ship we simply don't know enough about the wraith technology to know if a nuke can destroy it. The wraith probably have shields protecting most of the ships internal systems.
                "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

If C4 can punch holes in a Hive ship, than a nuke would vaporize it.

edit: typo....
                  Last edited by aeroe; 10 November 2004, 02:38 PM.

Comment

I was thinking that as well, probably they have some sort of shield technology but we haven't seen it yet. The dart ships can be shot down with regular missles, so probably the hive ships have the same vulerability i.e. good ol' C4 can damage them.

The main issue is to get a bomb into the ship, it doesn't even have to vaporize it but as long as it explodes inside I doubt there would be some internal shield system that could contain the blast.

Thats why I thought of those dart ships, how they cruise around transporting people off the ground. They obviously are sending them directly back to the hive ship.

Comment

Has anyone thought of why the Wraith ships don't have shields?

Maybe they realised that the Ancients glowy jellyfish of doom could go through any shield so they just didn't bother with them (shields that is)...

That would explain a lot, the Wraith just concentrated on firepower and size instead of shielding since they knew it would be useless against GFD's.

Back on topic

An average nuke today will vaporize anything within 1km of it's radius, nearly vaporize anything within the next 1-2km's, flatten anything for the next 1-2km's and cause serious structural damage to everything within 10km's of the blast. Wraith ships are huge....the size of mountains...but unlike mountains their whole volume isn't solid rock.

So a Hive ship is basically a box. Nuke in a box. Goodbye.

If the Nuke itself isn't big enough (unlikely), then the possible chain reactions it could cause - like C4 does it's damage - would decimate the Hive unless the Hive is a 100km across...you never know

ANCiENTS & TOLKiEN
                      One race to found them all, one race to zap them,
                      One race to guide them all, and in the universe transcend them

ODE TO JOY
                      Freude, schöner Götterfunken, Tochter aus Elysium,
                      Wir betreten Feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum.

Deine Zauber binden wieder, Was die Mode streng geteilt;
                      Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Comment

You're forgetting: all of the Naquadah is used to power the city, and Naquadriah is impossible to get right now, seeing as how Atlantis is disconnected from The Milky Way.

Besides, it's been said before: TPTB doesn't seem to want to fuse both series together. They REALLY seem to keep both series apart, what with the Zats being replaced with Wraith stunners, Staff Weapons being forgotten altogether, barely ANY mention of Naquadah...
                        I know that i was just saying it could be doen with a Naquda inhanced H-bomb not that they would.
                        geekcode

Comment

Even then... We don't even know about the metallurgy and shielding principles that the Wraith have themselves. It might be that they have metals strong enough to withstand nuclear and naquadah enhanced yields.
                          Enter my game site...

Comment

Even then... We don't even know about the metallurgy and shielding principles that the Wraith have themselves. It might be that they have metals strong enough to withstand nuclear and naquadah enhanced yields.
                            To me, it looked like the ship was a biological in contruction.

Spoiler:
                            C4 looked like it worked to blow up parts of the hive ship in Rising.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
                              To me, it looked like the ship was a biological in contruction.

Spoiler:
                              C4 looked like it worked to blow up parts of the hive ship in Rising.
                              If Jack was head of Atlantis, yes, I did say Jack, he would tell them, "Blow It Up!"

Comment

Working...
                              X