This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know how to clean a deer skull?

i found a deer skull ....it's mostly decomposed but it still ha bits of fur and tissue. I heard boiling can crack it.
    any ideas how i can clean it?

the following image is fairly gross:
    Spoiler:
    Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
    sigpic

well they boil flesh off bones in shows like Bones.

But I believe you could use maggots or some other bug to eat the flesh off the bone...
    A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Eeeewwwwwwwww
      sigpic
      http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
      http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

"Deer" Skull

It's all a façade!

This PDF has suggests boiling, with occasional bleaching.

Now I'm an accomplice to murder. xD

Comment

'boil' may be a misnomer, not a rolling boil per se, but immersion in near boiling water to 'cook' off the bits and pieces

you may want to do this outisde cause i can't imagine that it'll smell good. nor would you wnat to do this in a treasured cooking pot.

boiling is the best way that i know of

look in the phone book for a taxidermist - which is a dying art by the way - they may be able to give you some pointers
          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I have a skull that looks remarkably like that in my back yard. My cousin found it on the side of the road probably twenty years ago. He thought it was a cow skull, but maybe it's a deer?

Do you have a big back yard and lots of sun? Because if you do, I'd guess you could just leave it out as far away from your house as possible and let nature get to work on it. It may take a while, and I suppose a dog or a coyote or something similar might just carry it off, but that's probably the simplest route if you're not in a big hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              'boil' may be a misnomer, not a rolling boil per se, but immersion in near boiling water to 'cook' off the bits and pieces

you may want to do this outisde cause i can't imagine that it'll smell good. nor would you wnat to do this in a treasured cooking pot.

boiling is the best way that i know of

look in the phone book for a taxidermist - which is a dying art by the way - they may be able to give you some pointers
              this sounds like the easiest way to go......thanks sky.
              sigpic

Comment

when i'm all done cleaning it, i'll post pics of a nice clean skull for you all.
                sigpic

Comment

............taxidermist - which is a dying art by the way
                  any tips on how to finish it off?
                  sigpic
                  EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                  -Liberty Prime

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
                    any tips on how to finish it off?
                    why would you want to?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tombombadail View Post
                      why would you want to?
                      as far as natural history reasons, no prob at all, having dead things in your house................. ever hear of ed gein?
                      sigpic
                      EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                      -Liberty Prime

Comment

google how to preserve it

i don't know if you can shellac bone or if that will discolor it

LIke someone said, just letting it sit outside in the full sun will kinda work too. although you do have the skull full of brains and that'll take a while to decompose/disappear

also, if you just 'leave it out' you run the risk of a scavenger taking a liking to it and it getting damages.

Last summer there was a cat corpse on the way to work and over the course of the summer it decomposed until, after a month or four, it was just dry boneand some remnants of fur. dunno where the skull went though.

I'd stick with the 'cooking it off' because i've heard of that a lot, not only in historical documents - the details of which i'm not going into - but also it's been done on CSI. the coroner boiled the bones clean

sigpic

Comment

google is your friend

http://www.wildlifenews.alaska.gov/i...27&issue_id=11

http://www.hidetanning.net/SkullCleaning.html

http://www.texasbowhuntingrecords.com/id380.htm

for tips on preserving it, i'd google 'preserving an animal skull' and see what comes up

sigpic

Comment

google how to preserve it

i don't know if you can shellac bone or if that will discolor it

LIke someone said, just letting it sit outside in the full sun will kinda work too. although you do have the skull full of brains and that'll take a while to decompose/disappear

also, if you just 'leave it out' you run the risk of a scavenger taking a liking to it and it getting damages.

Last summer there was a cat corpse on the way to work and over the course of the summer it decomposed until, after a month or four, it was just dry boneand some remnants of fur. dunno where the skull went though.

I'd stick with the 'cooking it off' because i've heard of that a lot, not only in historical documents - the details of which i'm not going into - but also it's been done on CSI. the coroner boiled the bones clean
                            there are no brains in it, twas difficult to check, but there aren't

perhaps i shall boil then
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tombombadail View Post
                              i found a deer skull ....it's mostly decomposed but it still ha bits of fur and tissue. I heard boiling can crack it.
                              any ideas how i can clean it?

the following image is fairly gross:
                              http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/e...t/DSC07619.jpg
                              . . . cool.
                              || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

Working...
                              X