Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
    I saw it! It was really cool. Although I was getting motion sickness in sympathy for the astronauts bobbing around in the water like that.
    I didn't see it, but I did see tidbits on twitter, and while I'm definitely not claustrophobic, I did shudder at the thought of how tiny it was in that capsule... ...a little horrifying, I might add.

I did watch the launch of Perseverance. That was so exciting...
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      I didn't see it, but I did see tidbits on twitter, and while I'm definitely not claustrophobic, I did shudder at the thought of how tiny it was in that capsule... ...a little horrifying, I might add.
      YES, that too!!

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Canon Monday!

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
        I saw it! It was really cool. Although I was getting motion sickness in sympathy for the astronauts bobbing around in the water like that.
        Ooooh yeah. Not so pleasant. But I would guess not getting motion sickness is one of the criteria for selecting astronauts, so they were probably okay.

Relatively speaking, it's not that much different in size from the passenger compartment of a car. Of course, the windows are bigger on a car...

I did watch the launch of Perseverance. That was so exciting...
        Yes it was!
        (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
        Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
          Relatively speaking, it's not that much different in size from the passenger compartment of a car. Of course, the windows are bigger on a car...
          But a car isn't dropped from space and send through the atmosphere, and heats up cause of all that friction... or ends up in the ocean... generally speaking.

Comment

But a car isn't dropped from space and send through the atmosphere, and heats up cause of all that friction... or ends up in the ocean... generally speaking.
            And just like that, fic bunnies have an idea for how to explain spacecraft to someone from the 1930s. *files this under 'lines to use in a fic with credit to FH' sometime in the next thousand years*

Hiya. How's everybody doing?
            Last edited by ShipperWriter; 03 August 2020, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShipperWriter View Post
              And just like that, fic bunnies have an idea for how to explain spacecraft to someone from the 1930s. *files this under 'lines to use in a fic with credit to FH' sometime in the next thousand years*

Living the best work life, I could wish for -- WORKING FROM HOME.

And also, I bought a house (with my sister, and a little input from dad).

Also, still healthy... under the circumstances.

You?

Comment

Hi, still alive and doing great. Nice to see old friends around here.
                sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Smutty Tuesday!

True, true.

*virtually glomps you*

'sometime in the next thousand years' LOL! The fic writing's going slow for you too, eh?

I'm doing great, we're out here in the boonies far away from the cities, we're healthy, the weather is good, the scenery is fabulous, we've got plenty of food and an awesome kitchen to cook it in...and we have streaming TV. Hope you're doing well! *moar hugs*
                  (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                  Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Living the best work life, I could wish for -- WORKING FROM HOME.

And also, I bought a house (with my sister, and a little input from dad).

Also, still healthy... under the circumstances.

You?
                    Doing well! Life has changed quite a bit in the last couple of years - I moved into a new place, downsized, just perfect for me and the Furry One. I had a non-epileptic but grand mal seizure last October brought on by stress so I couldn't drive for six months but am healthy otherwise. I haven't been doing much interpreting lately but thankfully I have a regular job at Starbucks so health insurance and all the free coffee I could ask for!

I had a COVID scare at work but thankfully everyone is healthy. Unfortunately a teacher I used to work with caught it and passed away a few weeks ago. One of my best friends caught it too and thankfully has recovered. Crazy world we're living in! *sticks out my thumb to catch the next ride to Atlantis*

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
                    Hi, still alive and doing great. Nice to see old friends around here.
                    Hi Auntie SR! *hugs*

*virtually glomps you*

'sometime in the next thousand years' LOL! The fic writing's going slow for you too, eh?
                    Oh, SO slow. I worked on a fiction story that I started when I was like 15 for a bit just because I had Taylor Swift's "Cornelia Street" on repeat, but I can't even remember the last time I opened one of my fics. I know I have a few on AO3 that I left incomplete so I'm afraid to go back.

I'm doing great, we're out here in the boonies far away from the cities, we're healthy, the weather is good, the scenery is fabulous, we've got plenty of food and an awesome kitchen to cook it in...and we have streaming TV. Hope you're doing well! *moar hugs*
                    Awesome! I've been doing a lot more cooking lately. Debating whether or not to get an InstantPot.

Comment

As I sit here, waiting for an access database to do its thing....

Reminder, completely written on the fly. Unbeta'd, so probably filled with some spectacular spelling and/or grammar mistakes. I aim to please in the LOL-department. Also, exclusive to this thread. Possibly drawn from my real life experiences where I may or may not channel different characters. Today that would be John Sheppard.

The Office Saga
                      Chapter I
                      Chapter II
                      Chapter III

Chapter IV

Spoiler:

Colonel Sheppard bounded up the stairs from the gate area, frowned at Chuck who had his feet up on the console, and turned towards Elizabeth's office. He had promised to come by with his written report on their latest mission, which had left him with a stylish new hairdo, which Teyla had promised him would not last for more than a few more days.

The next time they were told to participate in the local harvest festivals to make friends faster, he'd politely decline and send Major Lorne and his team. Especially if it involved face-painting or colorful additions to hairdo's. They loved that sort of thing. He would even let Ronon and Teyla join Evan's team, since they had been the only ones of his team who had enjoyed themselves. If he hadn't firmly held onto Rodney, the scientist would even have hightailed it back to the gate before they had managed to get one drop of paint on him. At least Radek had gotten his payback there.

He stepped into the office, but didn't immediately see Elizabeth anywhere. Her jacket was draped on the chair and her laptop open and running on the desk. A hot cup was steaming to the side and folders were stacked everywhere else. The diplomat herself, however, was nowhere to be seen.

"Elizabeth?", John carefully called out.

There followed a bump and a curse, followed by a hand appearing from below the desk.

"Uh..."

John leaned across the desk. Elizabeth was sitting on the ground, gathering some papers which had apparently escaped from a pile on the edge of the table. She was rubbing her head where she had bumped it against the desk.

"Need a hand?"

"No," she grumbled.

"Okay..."

He stepped back and waited for her to get up and out from under the desk.

"However," she started as she sat back in her chair, "maybe there is something you could help me with."

John sat down in one of the seats in front of the desk, accepting a stack of folders Elizabeth handed him.

"Potential new members to the expedition," she pointed at the files in his hands. "Unfortunately, the civilians have mixed in with the military files so you may have to order them first."

He looked down at his stack and noticed a stain on the first folder.

"Oh, and ignore the stains. My coffee tried to escape its container earlier and take over the laptop. I saved it. The files weren't so lucky."

Elizabeth shrugged.

"Okay," he said again, peeling the first folder open and getting to work.

...and off to finish my job for the day.

Comment

Reminder, completely written on the fly. Unbeta'd, so probably filled with some spectacular spelling and/or grammar mistakes. I aim to please in the LOL-department. Also, exclusive to this thread. Possibly drawn from my real life experiences where I may or may not channel different characters. Today that would be John Sheppard.

The Office Saga
                        Chapter I
                        Chapter II
                        Chapter III

Chapter IV

Spoiler:

Colonel Sheppard bounded up the stairs from the gate area, frowned at Chuck who had his feet up on the console, and turned towards Elizabeth's office. He had promised to come by with his written report on their latest mission, which had left him with a stylish new hairdo, which Teyla had promised him would not last for more than a few more days.

The next time they were told to participate in the local harvest festivals to make friends faster, he'd politely decline and send Major Lorne and his team. Especially if it involved face-painting or colorful additions to hairdo's. They loved that sort of thing. He would even let Ronon and Teyla join Evan's team, since they had been the only ones of his team who had enjoyed themselves. If he hadn't firmly held onto Rodney, the scientist would even have hightailed it back to the gate before they had managed to get one drop of paint on him. At least Radek had gotten his payback there.

He stepped into the office, but didn't immediately see Elizabeth anywhere. Her jacket was draped on the chair and her laptop open and running on the desk. A hot cup was steaming to the side and folders were stacked everywhere else. The diplomat herself, however, was nowhere to be seen.

There followed a bump and a curse, followed by a hand appearing from below the desk.

"Uh..."

John leaned across the desk. Elizabeth was sitting on the ground, gathering some papers which had apparently escaped from a pile on the edge of the table. She was rubbing her head where she had bumped it against the desk.

"Need a hand?"

"No," she grumbled.

"Okay..."

"However," she started as she sat back in her chair, "maybe there is something you could help me with."

John sat down in one of the seats in front of the desk, accepting a stack of folders Elizabeth handed him.

"Potential new members to the expedition," she pointed at the files in his hands. "Unfortunately, the civilians have mixed in with the military files so you may have to order them first."

"Oh, and ignore the stains. My coffee tried to escape its container earlier and take over the laptop. I saved it. The files weren't so lucky."

Elizabeth shrugged.

I must confess that this story is making me nostalgic for the good old days. Love seeing the little snippets of daily life on Atlantis.

We spent Sunday afternoon with the twins so here is a bit of an update.
                        Spoiler:
                        1.Thing 2 suddenly asked to use the potty, sending his parents into a tailspin and a rapid order from Amazon because this is the last thing you expect from a 2 year old boy. Girls yes, boys no.
                        2. They are out of high chairs and have a nifty new table and chairs. The parents were shocked when they picked up their plates and took them into the kitchen. We guess they learned this at daycare.
                        3. Thing 2 didn't want to finish his green beans, so he took them off the plate, lined them up on the table and then took the plate into the kitchen. The dog ate the beans.
                        4. Thing 1 has always been the dominant twin to the point that he talks for Thing 2. However, just this last week Thing 2 has started talking more and Thing 1 is quieter. Unless he is screaming like a howler monkey.
                        5. Thing 2 has a crush on his teacher's 10 year old daughter. This cannot end well.
                        6. They have learned to do "cheers" with their drink cups. If you have a drink they will do "cheers" with you but they have no concept of how hard to bang their cup on your glass.
                        7. Thing 1 spilled water down his back, took off his own shirt and brought it to his mom for a replacement. Silly boy.
                        sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I must confess that this story is making me nostalgic for the good old days. Love seeing the little snippets of daily life on Atlantis.
                          Second that.

1. Sounds like a pair of my Sims who suddenly realize they don't have the necessary equipment at hand to deal with their toddlers.

3. I would have done something entirely different with those beans. I mean, you don't line them up just so the dog can eat them, right. Although, I have to say that Thing 2 solved the problem brilliantly.
                          5. Wow, they start earlier and earlier...

6. Bless their inner Viking spirits...

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

Doing well! Life has changed quite a bit in the last couple of years - I moved into a new place, downsized, just perfect for me and the Furry One. I had a non-epileptic but grand mal seizure last October brought on by stress so I couldn't drive for six months but am healthy otherwise. I haven't been doing much interpreting lately but thankfully I have a regular job at Starbucks so health insurance and all the free coffee I could ask for!

I had a COVID scare at work but thankfully everyone is healthy. Unfortunately a teacher I used to work with caught it and passed away a few weeks ago. One of my best friends caught it too and thankfully has recovered. Crazy world we're living in! *sticks out my thumb to catch the next ride to Atlantis*
                            Eeep! Glad you're doing better now! *hugs and snuggles you* And YAY COFFEE.

Oh, SO slow. I worked on a fiction story that I started when I was like 15 for a bit just because I had Taylor Swift's "Cornelia Street" on repeat, but I can't even remember the last time I opened one of my fics. I know I have a few on AO3 that I left incomplete so I'm afraid to go back.
                            Heh, I'm basically ping-ponging back and forth on my original novel and my fic whenever the mood strikes me. At the moment...it's not striking me.

Awesome! I've been doing a lot more cooking lately. Debating whether or not to get an InstantPot.
                            I've been wanting to get into baking bread. And investing in a set of cast iron pans.

The Office Saga
                            Chapter I
                            Chapter II
                            Chapter III

Chapter IV

Spoiler:

"Uh..."

"Need a hand?"

"No," she grumbled.

"Okay..."

Elizabeth shrugged.

LOL, looks like Lizzie is having one of Those Days! But now she's got some eyecandy to lift her spirits... Love it!

6. Bless their inner Viking spirits...

Comment

Managed to escape for a few days to kayak and SUP. It was lovely.

Hey, anyone watching the SpaceX Demo-2 return and splashdown? On NASA TV right now:

https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasa...ex.html#public
                              So cool, except for the rogue boaters swarming in for a photo op. I can't believe they were allowed to get so close. I mean, I know they put out warnings and stuff, but did they really expect the bugs not to be drawn to the light?

The Office Saga
                              Chapter I
                              Chapter II
                              Chapter III

Chapter IV

Spoiler:

"Uh..."

"Need a hand?"

"No," she grumbled.

"Okay..."

Elizabeth shrugged.

Yay- I came back from a few days away social distancing on a lake and had two to read. I'm loving these!

Spoiler:
                              1.Thing 2 suddenly asked to use the potty, sending his parents into a tailspin and a rapid order from Amazon because this is the last thing you expect from a 2 year old boy. Girls yes, boys no.
                              2. They are out of high chairs and have a nifty new table and chairs. The parents were shocked when they picked up their plates and took them into the kitchen. We guess they learned this at daycare.
                              3. Thing 2 didn't want to finish his green beans, so he took them off the plate, lined them up on the table and then took the plate into the kitchen. The dog ate the beans.
                              4. Thing 1 has always been the dominant twin to the point that he talks for Thing 2. However, just this last week Thing 2 has started talking more and Thing 1 is quieter. Unless he is screaming like a howler monkey.
                              5. Thing 2 has a crush on his teacher's 10 year old daughter. This cannot end well.
                              6. They have learned to do "cheers" with their drink cups. If you have a drink they will do "cheers" with you but they have no concept of how hard to bang their cup on your glass.
                              7. Thing 1 spilled water down his back, took off his own shirt and brought it to his mom for a replacement. Silly boy.
                              I can't read about the twins and not imagine them wreaking chaos on Atlantis.
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to Copter for my signature art!

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Originally posted by Zandra's Ashes View Post
                                Managed to escape for a few days to kayak and SUP. It was lovely.
                                Awesome, glad you had a great time!

So cool, except for the rogue boaters swarming in for a photo op. I can't believe they were allowed to get so close. I mean, I know they put out warnings and stuff, but did they really expect the bugs not to be drawn to the light?
                                Yeah, methinks there's going to be a few changes for the next one.

I can't read about the twins and not imagine them wreaking chaos on Atlantis.
                                OMG.

Comment

Working...
                                X