No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Screw the Angst Wednesday!

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
    Ahh, thank you all for the warm welcome back Falcon Horus, Southern Red, Scary Kitty! I remember you all very fondly! <3

I'll definitely try to drop in a bit more often, which will be more likely since I'm working from home now. I've been telecommuting for the last three weeks, which has been a bit of a rocky transition, between the comparatively small laptop screen and dealing with distractions. Fortunately I'm managing, as I hope the lot of you are.

Aside from that, it's admittedly not very hard to keep myself occupied with books and shows and games and online discussion thereof, so I suppose not much has changed in that regard.
    Fandom. The REAL Force. It keeps us all sane, gives us great friends, and there's never a dull moment to be had.

Originally posted by Southern Red View Post
    Just got a twin video.

Mom: What's your name?
    Thing 1: Elmo
    Thing 2: Elmo
    Mom: What's your brother's name?
    Mom: Are you ready for bed?
    OMG.

"Elmo" has become code for "we want to watch Sesame Street." They are allowed to watch it once a day, but it's never enough. Love that little red guy.
    Awwwww! So sweet!

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Also, I'm having mini-meets -- video calls -- with my team and we have an "end-of-the-week-bring-your-own-booze-and-snacks" meeting on Friday at 4pm. Just to show we're all still alive.
    Now we're talking!

SR Jr. had to go into work and pick up a secure laptop. He does consulting for the government and a lot of it is classified. I'm picturing him at home inside a cone of silence like from Get Smart.

Due to a change at work, a new proces to handle the flood of mails... I effectively stopped having things to do, so I decided to do one of the online courses my company is promoting -- Optimism for Beginners. There's a test in the first half of the course to see how much of an optimist you are. I broke it -- definitely a pessimist.
    Oh dear...
    (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
    Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

"Elmo" has become code for "we want to watch Sesame Street." They are allowed to watch it once a day, but it's never enough. Love that little red guy.
      Elmo is way better than Barney! OMG, I had to watch so much of that when my niece was little. Sesame Street is at least cute. And the music doesn't make my brain want to explode the way Barney's music did.

Due to a change at work, a new proces to handle the flood of mails... I effectively stopped having things to do, so I decided to do one of the online courses my company is promoting -- Optimism for Beginners. There's a test in the first half of the course to see how much of an optimist you are. I broke it -- definitely a pessimist.
      And this course is supposed to make you more of an optimist? Ha!

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
      Fandom. The REAL Force. It keeps us all sane, gives us great friends, and there's never a dull moment to be had.
      Amen to that, sister!!

Comment

I am slightly ashamed to admit I was very much a Barney child in the early nineties. Though on the positive side, I was also genuinely interested (one can say obsessed) with actual dinosaurs at that age as well; I'm not sure which came first, though they surely influenced each other.

Anyways, coming back to GateWorld has me thinking about Stargate again for the first time in a decade, and wondering what a new installment would look like. I didn't watch SGU, but all three series revolved heavily around a modern Earth-based group with some level of military support. At this point in time, I'd be intrigued to see a break with this formula, building a story around a human or humanoid society elsewhere in the universe, with little or even no contact with Earth. This might sound ambitious, but with the established lore, gate system and Ancient technology, I think the world-building and character opportunities are rich with potential. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
          And this course is supposed to make you more of an optimist? Ha!
          I'm probably beyond help...

Anyways, coming back to GateWorld has me thinking about Stargate again for the first time in a decade, and wondering what a new installment would look like. I didn't watch SGU, but all three series revolved heavily around a modern Earth-based group with some level of military support. At this point in time, I'd be intrigued to see a break with this formula, building a story around a human or humanoid society elsewhere in the universe, with little or even no contact with Earth. This might sound ambitious, but with the established lore, gate system and Ancient technology, I think the world-building and character opportunities are rich with potential. Thoughts?
          Seen Stargate Origins?
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by JT-2 View Post
            That last part reminded me of this video:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1245353224154030080

I don't know why it's not embedding in the post. Too tired to figure it out. Just watch the video until the end. You're going to love the glass she uses.
            That is simply fantastic!

Well, it's been a damn long while, but in light of recent events, I hope everyone is faring well.

I didn't know if I would ever return here, but learning an acquaintance was working her way through SGA for the first time brought up a sense of nostalgia, one could say.

Perhaps I would have dropped in sooner if it were not for a sense of embarrassment that comes along with looking back on my time here. It's been almost thirteen years, and I recognize was very much a kid when I was active in the Stargate fandom, an immature kid who tried so seem smarter than they were, who embellished details of their life, who was trying to fit in. Well, at least that's the impression I'd get looking back at some of my posts, probably.

After taking a break from online fandom, I've since moved on to other things that hit deeper; Stargate was a fun discovery, but my enthusiasm for the series has since waned. Some affection is still there, though, and it was you guys that really made it a blast, even in those saltiest days. But who knows what might happen whenever the next Stargate series comes around.
            Nice to virtually meet you. I was late to the GW party and missed the heyday and then I took a long break before returning a few years ago. I refuse to look back at early posts or fanfics because of similar embarrassment. I was like a excited puppy let loose in a new playground. Actually, I'm pretty sure I'm still that way too often. I've worked at home for five years though, so I'm probably embarrassing myself with every chance I have to socialize.

I sense a theme here...

Three weeks and counting -- I'm in my 4th week. I bought a second screen cause working from home for 1 day doesn't bother me having to make do with a laptop screen, but not 5 days a week. Unfortunately the software I work with requires a larger screen. Otherwise I'll go cross-eyed.

Also, I'm having mini-meets -- video calls -- with my team and we have an "end-of-the-week-bring-your-own-booze-and-snacks" meeting on Friday at 4pm. Just to show we're all still alive.
            Fun for the mini meets! Glad you ordered a screen. If I only worked off a laptop I'd be blind, but the small screen size is so limiting. I finally set up a docking station and have two external monitors and am plotting to add a third.

Lol. I can't imagine anyone returning an optimist verdict these days. That's nice that they have free classes. My work is starting to slow down now that the initial rush of adapting to the new world is over. I've signed up for a few classes to add to my skillset. First up was Python. Added software to my computer and decided my first lesson was complete. I'm going to have to work on keeping my butt in the seat, lol.

SR Jr. had to go into work and pick up a secure laptop. He does consulting for the government and a lot of it is classified. I'm picturing him at home inside a cone of silence like from Get Smart.
            So I'm back to envisioning the twins as McKay and Shep. My mind supplied the vision of mini twin McKay hacking the government laptop and the feds come crashing in their home a la Christmas Vacation style.
            sigpic
            Thanks to Copter for my signature art!

Comment

Originally posted by Zandra's Ashes View Post
              I finally set up a docking station and have two external monitors and am plotting to add a third.
              *iz properly jealous*

First up was Python. Added software to my computer and decided my first lesson was complete. I'm going to have to work on keeping my butt in the seat, lol.
              I've been doing some Python in saturday morning classes... until they were cancelled and moved online, which is not doing my learning any good. I didn't have the time to catch up yet so now I'm horribly behind, plus I need the course explained to me rather than reading about it, and doing the exercises so I'll probably try again next semester, depending on how the course continues in the next few weeks. The first part of the course was last semester so at least I have the basics down (sort of).

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

So I'm back to envisioning the twins as McKay and Shep. My mind supplied the vision of mini twin McKay hacking the government laptop and the feds come crashing in their home a la Christmas Vacation style.
                Makes me wonder what kind of mischief mini Elizabeth would be getting up to. You know what they say...beware the quiet ones...
                (This is legal notice that any attempt to censor or delete, for the purpose of oppressing fair and open discussion, any statement made by me will be considered a violation of my right to free speech as guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, and will be dealt with in accordance with federal law.)
                Sparky is on screen. Therefore, it is canon. Elizabeth is still out there. And John WILL bring her home.

Comment

Seen Stargate Origins?
                  I have not! I'm so out of the loop that it's news to me that they even released new filmed SG content.

Nice to virtually meet you. I was late to the GW party and missed the heyday and then I took a long break before returning a few years ago. I refuse to look back at early posts or fanfics because of similar embarrassment. I was like a excited puppy let loose in a new playground. Actually, I'm pretty sure I'm still that way too often. I've worked at home for five years though, so I'm probably embarrassing myself with every chance I have to socialize.
                  Pleased to meet you as well! I can completely relate to the experience of missing the prime of a series and coming into fandom when either a.) it's finished and people have largely moved on, or b.) there's been a notable quality drop or shift in direction and everyone has become disillusioned. On the upside, post-series environments do tend to be less chaotic. In any case, glad you're found your way here.

Comment

I have not! I'm so out of the loop that it's news to me that they even released new filmed SG content.
                    Ah, you completely missed the Stargate Command fiasco.

Call yourself lucky.

Stargate Origins: Catherine Langford is a (failed) attempt at kickstarting the franchise again -- or so MGM wanted us to believe. It was a 10 episode webseries which was only available to 6 countries (the USA, Canada, Australia, New-Zealand, the UK and Germany) so when those countries spoiled the whole thing to kingdom come, it was released to the general public as a digital download only.

Don't expect much of it. It's extremely lowbudget but the lower the expectations, the more fun you'll have watching it.
                    It's approx. 100 minutes long, and I have to say that I loved the cast. They are such goofballs.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Kitty View Post
                      Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Fluffy Thursday!

Makes me wonder what kind of mischief mini Elizabeth would be getting up to. You know what they say...beware the quiet ones...
                      Exactly, lol. I'm sure a mini Elizabeth would keep them in line. Someone other than mini Elizabeth would end up with painted nails and toenails for sure.

*iz properly jealous*

I've been doing some Python in saturday morning classes... until they were cancelled and moved online, which is not doing my learning any good. I didn't have the time to catch up yet so now I'm horribly behind, plus I need the course explained to me rather than reading about it, and doing the exercises so I'll probably try again next semester, depending on how the course continues in the next few weeks. The first part of the course was last semester so at least I have the basics down (sort of).
                      I'm starting a certification course, so we'll see how it goes, but so far there are more videos than reading. I had to get a USB adaptor to add the second external monitor. I'm not sure if I can do that for a third, but I see pictures all the time of people with three monitors so I am bound and determined to figure it out. I have the two on independent arms right now which is cool because I can alternate between sitting and standing (I just put my keyboard and mouse on a makeshift box, much less expensive than the Varidesk.) I might need to get a new setup with three arms to make it all nice and neat-and structurally reinforce that portion of my desk so nothing goes bump in the night. I was super lucky because my work provided the dock and bought the first external monitor. We also received a $300 wellness credit a few years ago to update our office, so I haven't had to spend my own money yet.
                      sigpic
                      Thanks to Copter for my signature art!

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Pretty Friday!

Pleased to meet you as well! I can completely relate to the experience of missing the prime of a series and coming into fandom when either a.) it's finished and people have largely moved on, or b.) there's been a notable quality drop or shift in direction and everyone has become disillusioned. On the upside, post-series environments do tend to be less chaotic. In any case, glad you're found your way here.
                        Then there's being there for a series from the beginning, watching it get cancelled just as it's hitting it's stride at the end of the first season, drifting away, then coming back after 20 years when you're disillusioned with all your new fandoms. It may seem weird, but the joy of rediscovery felt like coming home. The dearth of fanfic is depressing, however.

Exactly, lol. I'm sure a mini Elizabeth would keep them in line. Someone other than mini Elizabeth would end up with painted nails and toenails for sure.
                        OMG.

Comment

@ Zandra's Ashes

When I told my company that I generally am used to having a callibrated monitor, they gave me a blank stare back so I left it at that and thanked them for the widescreen monitor and moved on. Then when that one broke and I needed a new one, I told them "widescreen or else..." (I'd give them hell about the callibration again).

My two colleagues even managed to bribe the facility's department into giving them 2 monitors but I had enough with 1.

This curved screen I have now can be expanded to two. It's an AOC screen which has special set-ups for 2 or 3 screens so maybe one day when I have my own office space (when we maybe buy that house), I might invest into extra screens.

Also, I have 4 days off so yay.... VACATION... @ home.

Comment

Hey the Dark Matter names are active now!

Interestingly today, Mallozzi tweeted that Torri's Dark Matter character was originally meant to die, but she ended up surviving and becoming a favorite because Torri had a scheduling conflcit. Torri then tweeted that she really enjoyed playing the character.
                            "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Good morning, Sparkies! Happy Sparky!Family Saturday!

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                              Hey the Dark Matter names are active now!

Interestingly today, Mallozzi tweeted that Torri's Dark Matter character was originally meant to die, but she ended up surviving and becoming a favorite because Torri had a scheduling conflcit. Torri then tweeted that she really enjoyed playing the character.
                              Hmm, interesting indeed. One of these days I may have to check that out.

Comment

Never watched it cause Mallozzi ended up on my black list... but since a year or two he's worked himself into my favors again (certain things I can't forgive him obviously) so maybe I'll give it a go... some day...

Comment

Working...
                                X