Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Yes. I've bitten the bullet, I want a place to talk about the possibilities of a budding emotional relationship between Major John Sheppard and Dr. Elizabeth Weir on Stargate: Atlantis.

This is for {Mod wording change - Positive} -ship discussion, {Mod wording change - Negative} ship discussion will be considered off topic. Please let's have fun, and be nice to each other.

So, you may be asking, why would anyone see ship in Atlantis? Didn't TPTB learn their lesson from the Jack/Sam ship in SG1? Didn't they publicize Sheppard/Teyla ship? Is or is not Weir married? What are the scenes where people see John/Elizabeth ship?

Sounds like grounds for good discussion to me
    Last edited by TameFarrar; 31 March 2009, 11:24 AM.

I think it will sound as a good discusion. I have noticed that sometimes there is a little spark but rhan again there was also a spark with Teyla
    Lord Zedd

Comment

Sooo... now that I've started the ball rolling...

As many of you know, I'm not particularly known for being an enthusastic follower of any 'ship. I didn't go into Atlantis looking for a ship (though mildly dreading the inklings of one I thought I'd see between Sheppard and Teyla). I began to see the beginnings of flirty emotional attachment in the 38 Minutes, and than in subsequent episodes where they seemed to be building a closer and closer relationship that seemed to me that it went beyond respect and friendship.

So my short rundown of shippy moments, and the questions that they raised for me.

38 Minutes:
      Spoiler:
      Sheppard tries to say something to Weir "while I still can" which she wont let him because she is trying to get everyone to believe they can save the jumper crew. When the crew is saved the camera lingers for a very long time with both Sheppard and Weir as Beckett fights for his life. In the last scene, Weir than asks Sheppard what he was going to say (in front of the other three members of his team), and they exchange very long looks before he says "I was going to say take care of eachother."
      I doubt anyone in the room thought that was really what he had been going to say.

Underground:
      Spoiler:
      During the closing scene as Weir and Sheppard are talking on the balcony she seems very intent on trying to consol him personally in a way that doesn't seem really about leadership.

Home:
      Spoiler:
      The War and Peace discussion seemed to me about the two of them feeling each other out. I think Weir was on the very edge of telling him about Simon, but for some reason stops. The entire scene had the feel of early episodes of SG1 that are now considered the foundations of the Sam/Jack ship.

I have not seen The Storm (I hate cliffhangers so have it on tape but havne't watched it), or The Eye (I'm an american and can't download because of my connection speed). I am told that both episodes have hints of ship as well.

Comment

So one of my [sarc]favorite[/sarc] topics.

Is Dr. Weir married to Simon?

I think not. Simon appears twice in the first half of season one, first in Rising and than in Home. We first see him watching a video tape left for him by Weir explaining where she is going and that it's likely she'll never return. Certainly if that was not a "Dear John, I'm off to have the most exciting adventure of my life," video I don't know what is. If they were married I don't think she'd leave just a tape. And even if they were married that was certainly abandonment.

It's just not credible to me.

The second appearance of Simon is in Home where
        Spoiler:
        the Myst Rodney tells Weir to just go back to Simon, after all, isn't he important to her. One really doesn't expect to be asked if your husband is important to you, it's assumed. Additionally, Weir knows Rodney isn't real because he knows about Simon, and she never told him. I'd be willing to bet that the senior staff on the Atlantis expedition know the basic biographies of the other senior staff, and a marriage is pretty basic.

So the answer... Weir, IMO, isn't married. She may or may not have had a long term relationship with the man, but she obviously traveled a great deal even before Atlantis (after all she was living in Antartica for quite a while between New Order and Rising).

It would be logical to me that no one on the Atlantis Expedition is married. That neatly solves issues on the governments end of if people get to tell their spouse where they are going, or if the government should pay life insurance benefits to the families of people who may never be heard from again.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
          Sooo... now that I've started the ball rolling...

As many of you know, I'm not particularly known for being an enthusastic follower of any 'ship. I didn't go into Atlantis looking for a ship (though mildly dreading the inklings of one I thought I'd see between Sheppard and Teyla). I began to see the beginnings of flirty emotional attachment in the 38 Minutes, and than in subsequent episodes where they seemed to be building a closer and closer relationship that seemed to me that it went beyond respect and friendship.

So my short rundown of shippy moments, and the questions that they raised for me.

38 Minutes:
          Spoiler:
          Sheppard tries to say something to Weir "while I still can" which she wont let him because she is trying to get everyone to believe they can save the jumper crew. When the crew is saved the camera lingers for a very long time with both Sheppard and Weir as Beckett fights for his life. In the last scene, Weir than asks Sheppard what he was going to say (in front of the other three members of his team), and they exchange very long looks before he says "I was going to say take care of eachother."
          I doubt anyone in the room thought that was really what he had been going to say.

Hey MF, I'm going to leap into this convo, cos I agree.

When I started thinking about this, I'd only seen the pilot and would have said there's not much there, it's mostly Sheppard/Teyla. Then I bit the bullet and got my Sky tv back and saw 38 minutes (compared to the woeful Icon it was brilliant). I wondered what he was going to say too, and I got a shippy feel. I have to say tho, if it wasn't a bit too early to for that sort of thing *confused*, if he was going to say something emotional to Weir.

I haven't seen the rest of the episodes, but I will be looking out for it, never fear!

Comment

Wow...after watching "The Eye" I was thinking...there I wonder if someone started a Shep/Weir thread yet...and long behold here it is!

Anyways all those scenes you pointed out MF are exactly the same reasons I feel there is more chemistry between Shep/Weir instead of Shep/Teyla.

And after seeing the "The Eye" I felt it even more. "the Eye" spoiler
            Spoiler:
            Especially at the parts when Sheppard thought that Kolya killed Weir, and later finds out she is alive. Then at the end after shooting Kolya, he immediately runs to Weir and apologizes for shooting so close to her, but then they look at each other when he asks her if she's okay and you feel this connection between them. Then of course he grabs her hand and runs to join the others. Also the ending scene in the balcony seems reminscent of a couple standing together and talking.

And I also concur that Weir is NOT married. I had nothing better to do the other day but sit and watch Rising and Home again and I did not notice a ring of any kind on Weir or Simon's hand. I don't know if that is valid, but it works for me.

PS. Astrochick...I love you're sig!! Mr Darcy!! *melts*
            ~Athena

Comment

Originally posted by Athenaktt
              Wow...after watching "The Eye" I was thinking...there I wonder if someone started a Shep/Weir thread yet...and long behold here it is!
              i've thought about it for a bit, but didn't want to start it too early, but after reading The Eye spoilers where the ship was apparently obvious, I thought it was time to make a home for the ship

Comment

Originally posted by astronomicalchick
                Hey MF, I'm going to leap into this convo, cos I agree.

When I started thinking about this, I'd only seen the pilot and would have said there's not much there, it's mostly Sheppard/Teyla. Then I bit the bullet and got my Sky tv back and saw 38 minutes (compared to the woeful Icon it was brilliant). I wondered what he was going to say too, and I got a shippy feel. I have to say tho, if it wasn't a bit too early to for that sort of thing *confused*, if he was going to say something emotional to Weir.

I haven't seen the rest of the episodes, but I will be looking out for it, never fear!

Now, how can I send you a PM IF YOU DON'T CLEAR OUT SOME SPACE!!!!

*cough*
                right, sorry about that
                I swore I wouldn't ship for Atlantis. After all, shipping for Sam and Jack has brought very little onscreen reward But I can't seem to help myself! I'm quite the Sheppard fan, and I quite like the chemistry he has with Weir

Comment

YAAAAAAAAY!

THERE'S A SHEPPARD/WEIR SHIP THREAD!!!

OMG I loved the Eye
                  Spoiler:
                  I loved it how when the guy said "or I will kill weir & mckay" or wateva it is and sheppard's like "weir's alive?" and im like "ok don't ask if mckay's alive hehe that works for me!" and then he's like "let me talk to her!" and she says something and he's like "it's good to hear ur voice!" and she's like "good to hear yours too!!"

*was jumping up and down*

I wasn't gonna ship for anyone on Atlantis!! not that I don't have faith in TPTB - I think I'm one of the few S/J shippers that does lol but because before Atlantis started they said "There will be no ship"

I dun even remember who said it! Mighta been Brad Wright

But oh well....who knows!! If it goes as long as SG-1 has then it's quite a possibility that something will develope!!

Comment

Well.

Err...

Here's a thread I never thought I would wander into, but nevertheless, here I am.

I admit it, I saw some ship between Sheppard and Weir in The Eye and here's the crazy part: I actually didn't object to it. (I know, strange, isn't it? )

Not saying I'm a shipper, 'cause I'm practically incapable of saying that , but I thought it really was a lovely scene.

Spoilers for the The Eye:

Spoiler:
                    I thought it was sweet the way he took ahold of her hand and they ran up the stairs together. And there was a bit of a 'moment' there. They actually do have chemistry together.

Okay, that's it. I've said it. Now I will exit this thread and see if maybe I bumped my head somewhere, somehow. Head trauma. Yes. That might explain it. I am still an Anti-shipper dangit!

But I did like the scene...
                    Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by Liv
                      Well.

Err...

Here's a thread I never thought I would wander into, but nevertheless, here I am.

I admit it, I saw some ship between Sheppard and Weir in The Eye and here's the crazy part: I actually didn't object to it. (I know, strange, isn't it? )

Not saying I'm a shipper, 'cause I'm practically incapable of saying that , but I thought it really was a lovely scene.

Spoiler:
                      I thought it was sweet the way he took ahold of her hand and they ran up the stairs together. And there was a bit of a 'moment' there. They actually do have chemistry together.

Okay, that's it. I've said it. Now I will exit this thread and see if maybe I bumped my head somewhere, somehow. Head trauma. Yes. That might explain it. I am still an Anti-shipper dangit!

I didn't expect to see you in there either! ...but yes that was a nice moment wasn't it
                      ~Athena

Comment

Originally posted by Liv
                        Well.

Err...

Spoiler:

(((((((((((Liv)))))))))))))

Come back and play some more

*Shouts to MF - we have any jackets in this thread?*

Comment

Originally posted by Angel of Fire SG1
                          YAAAAAAAAY!

THERE'S A SHEPPARD/WEIR SHIP THREAD!!!

OMG I loved the Eye
                          Spoiler:
                          I loved it how when the guy said "or I will kill weir & mckay" or wateva it is and sheppard's like "weir's alive?" and im like "ok don't ask if mckay's alive hehe that works for me!" and then he's like "let me talk to her!" and she says something and he's like "it's good to hear ur voice!" and she's like "good to hear yours too!!"

*was jumping up and down*

I wasn't gonna ship for anyone on Atlantis!! not that I don't have faith in TPTB - I think I'm one of the few S/J shippers that does lol but because before Atlantis started they said "There will be no ship"

I dun even remember who said it! Mighta been Brad Wright

But oh well....who knows!! If it goes as long as SG-1 has then it's quite a possibility that something will develope!!

Ya see, this is the type of ship I love. Subtle and unresolved, so I can sit and project onto it as much as I like, knowing that fanfic writers out there will be filling in the blanks...

Anyone filling in the blanks yet?

I'm getting to be quite the little Sheppard fan as well...

Of course nothing could compare to the wonder that is Major Davis

Comment

Originally posted by Athenaktt

Anyways all those scenes you pointed out MF are exactly the same reasons I feel there is more chemistry between Shep/Weir instead of Shep/Teyla.

And after seeing the "The Eye" I felt it even more. "the Eye" spoiler
                            Spoiler:
                            Especially at the parts when Sheppard thought that Kolya killed Weir, and later finds out she is alive. Then at the end after shooting Kolya, he immediately runs to Weir and apologizes for shooting so close to her, but then they look at each other when he asks her if she's okay and you feel this connection between them. Then of course he grabs her hand and runs to join the others. Also the ending scene in the balcony seems reminscent of a couple standing together and talking.

And I also concur that Weir is NOT married. I had nothing better to do the other day but sit and watch Rising and Home again and I did not notice a ring of any kind on Weir or Simon's hand. I don't know if that is valid, but it works for me.

PS. Astrochick...I love you're sig!! Mr Darcy!! *melts*

I swear I've had more comments about this sig than any of the others, despite the fact it has no "humourous" caption. I guess Darcy just does it for most of you eh?

BTW go and see Bridget Jones, freakin' hilarious.

Oh and to keep on topic, (MF knows how bad I am at keeping on topic), ooh I'm really looking forward to getting the rest of the first season back! Glad I got my sky tv back..

Comment

That's okay Liv, you and I are in the same boat.

Shhhh Astro the jackets are on order.

I rather feel much more comfortable with this idea than I have been with almost any other 'ship in any science fiction show I've ever watched. I think because they haven't publicized it, and they haven't made it instant, they haven't been arguing from the start, they haven't showed up in an alternate universe married, it's not been... cliche.

It's been slow and sweet and the actors have played it really well. I think at least in my head I can buy that it might be happening, and not like it's something written into the scene that wouldn't be normal.

Comment

Working...
                              X