Generic Comic book Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generic Comic book Thread

I figured we could use a comic book thread to discuss all things from current comic book storylines to past stories or even anything in the comic book industry like the recent boom in comic book movies.
    Last edited by Wolf O'Donnell; 16 August 2008, 06:35 AM.

I wish I still had time to keep up with comics It's been a couple of years since I've done much reading. The last thing I was into was The Walking Dead and I'm probablly 18 months behind on that. If it's even still coming out.

I also need to catch the last 20 or so issues of 52 and find out how all that turned out.
    Jack likes being invisible.

(in shower) Sir, are you in here?

(invisible) Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by eviladam View Post
      I wish I still had time to keep up with comics It's been a couple of years since I've done much reading. The last thing I was into was The Walking Dead and I'm probably 18 months behind on that. If it's even still coming out.

I also need to catch the last 20 or so issues of 52 and find out how all that turned out.
      aw man, I have to tell you that 52 was one of the best comic books i think i have ever read. Not only did 52 have a great story but it was on time every week and kept me coming into my local comic shop every Wednesday for a year. DC's other weekly series since then have not been nearly as good as 52 was and its a real shame.

Comment

I'm going to get the rest of it ASAP once I figure out exactlly where I left off. It was really great, just some how or other I didn't have a chance to make it in for a few weeks and then I couldn't get the back issues. I think they're all in tpb version now though

(invisible) Nope.

Comment

Talking about DC comics big events, here's a link to a article for upcoming, Superman: New Krypton Special.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/0808...manTeaser.html

and a preview image of the event: http://i.newsarama.com/images/alexrossposter-art.jpg
          Check out My directorial work (please leave comment. if possible).

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=coreyeasy

Or,

Leave comment on the off topic board.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=29121

Comment

Originally posted by Artha O'neill View Post
            Talking about DC comics big events, here's a link to a article for upcoming, Superman: New Krypton Special.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/0808...manTeaser.html

and a preview image of the event: http://i.newsarama.com/images/alexrossposter-art.jpg
            Well first of all Alex Ross is one of the best artists I have ever seen and Geoff Johns run on Action comics has given me a greater respect for superman.

Anyway, being that today is Wednesday (aka comic book day) i figured i would talk a little about two of the books i bought today that have been on the top of my pull list for some time: Action Comics and Tiny Titans.
            Needless to say I will discuss some current events in the books so SPOILER WARNING.

First off Tiny Titans. I love this book very much even though it is part of the Johnny DC line meaning it is geared for a younger audiences. In its seven issues it has given me the lite hearted comedic tone that is missing from mainstream comics in this day and age. Now i may be a little biased because i have a slight preference towards teenage super heroes especially the Titans but something about seeing characters like Kid Devil, Blue Beetle, Robin and both Wonder Girls in wacky situation puts me in a pleasant mood for the rest of the day.
            As for the most recent issue #7
            Spoiler:
            Robin, Kid Flash, Wonder girl and Aqualad follow Starfire back to her home planet to help her clean her room.
            Now i will admit this was not my favorite issue of Tiny Titans just because
            Spoiler:
            most of the story was taken up by the starfire room cleaning story while most of the other issues of Tiny Titans are really a sort of anthology giving us a few little stories to laugh at while this one really only had the one besides one or two smaller stories. However i did enjoy the "Tiny Titans Bird club" segment where all the titans with bird related names (robin, hawk, dove, Raven and Talon) debate if Robin should be in the club because in an earlier issue he changed into Nightwing (in an attampt to stop Robins from following him around no less!)
            Anyway my advice to the comic fans is if you want a lite hearted comic book that does not take it self to seriously pick this book up but maybe not issue 7. Go for issue 3 and if your local shop does not have issue 3 anymore go for issue 6 it has a great few pages with Blue Beetle.

Now for Action comics being written by my favorite writer Geoff Johns. Now as of right now nothing can beat the recent legion of superheroes arc that has just passed (
            Spoiler:
            The idea of superman seeing his childhood best friends after years was beautiful
            ). As of right now in Action Comics Geoff Johns is
            Spoiler:
            reintroducing the Villain Brainiac and doing so in a way that seems to be playing on the idea that Superman is an Alien who is really striving for a better universe for completely unselfish reasons where as Brainiac is really just the opposite. I am loving the story but i am not the biggest fan of changing continuity in comic books and because of that i think my enjoyment of the book isnt what it could be.
            My favorite scene in the issue was when
            Spoiler:
            Supergirl comes to the daily planet and ends up mistaking Clarks Co-worker's , Cat Grant, breast implants for a serious medical problem.
            To end quickly because its so late i am just going to say that if your not reading Action comics right now you should be. If i were you i would start by getting back issues starting with 858 because once again the legion of superheroes story arc was amazing.

I hope my rants and raves have helped some of you choose to pick up these comics or maybe even start picking up comics to begin with.

-O'd

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf O'Donnell View Post
              Well first of all Alex Ross is one of the best artists I have ever seen and Geoff Johns run on Action comics has given me a greater respect for superman.

Anyway, being that today is Wednesday (aka comic book day) i figured i would talk a little about two of the books i bought today that have been on the top of my pull list for some time: Action Comics and Tiny Titans.
              Needless to say I will discuss some current events in the books so SPOILER WARNING.

First off Tiny Titans. I love this book very much even though it is part of the Johnny DC line meaning it is geared for a younger audiences. In its seven issues it has given me the lite hearted comedic tone that is missing from mainstream comics in this day and age. Now i may be a little biased because i have a slight preference towards teenage super heroes especially the Titans but something about seeing characters like Kid Devil, Blue Beetle, Robin and both Wonder Girls in wacky situation puts me in a pleasant mood for the rest of the day.
              As for the most recent issue #7
              Spoiler:
              Robin, Kid Flash, Wonder girl and Aqualad follow Starfire back to her home planet to help her clean her room.
              Now i will admit this was not my favorite issue of Tiny Titans just because
              Spoiler:
              most of the story was taken up by the starfire room cleaning story while most of the other issues of Tiny Titans are really a sort of anthology giving us a few little stories to laugh at while this one really only had the one besides one or two smaller stories. However i did enjoy the "Tiny Titans Bird club" segment where all the titans with bird related names (robin, hawk, dove, Raven and Talon) debate if Robin should be in the club because in an earlier issue he changed into Nightwing (in an attampt to stop Robins from following him around no less!)
              Anyway my advice to the comic fans is if you want a lite hearted comic book that does not take it self to seriously pick this book up but maybe not issue 7. Go for issue 3 and if your local shop does not have issue 3 anymore go for issue 6 it has a great few pages with Blue Beetle.

Now for Action comics being written by my favorite writer Geoff Johns. Now as of right now nothing can beat the recent legion of superheroes arc that has just passed (
              Spoiler:
              The idea of superman seeing his childhood best friends after years was beautiful
              ). As of right now in Action Comics Geoff Johns is
              Spoiler:
              reintroducing the Villain Brainiac and doing so in a way that seems to be playing on the idea that Superman is an Alien who is really striving for a better universe for completely unselfish reasons where as Brainiac is really just the opposite. I am loving the story but i am not the biggest fan of changing continuity in comic books and because of that i think my enjoyment of the book isnt what it could be.
              My favorite scene in the issue was when
              Spoiler:
              Supergirl comes to the daily planet and ends up mistaking Clarks Co-worker's , Cat Grant, breast implants for a serious medical problem.
              To end quickly because its so late i am just going to say that if your not reading Action comics right now you should be. If i were you i would start by getting back issues starting with 858 because once again the legion of superheroes story arc was amazing.

I hope my rants and raves have helped some of you choose to pick up these comics or maybe even start picking up comics to begin with.

-O'd
              Well, Wolf I've agreed with most of what you said. Johns is one of the most innovative and continuity conscience writer I've ever read. Saying that I also enjoyed his run on Green Lantern, Teen Titans (the series that got me back into comics) and reintroduction of Brainiac
              Spoiler:
              minus the whole knowledge = buffness explanation
              . I've really haven't gotten into tiny titans, even though I'm a titans fan, it never appealed to me. Comics such as those always seemed like a parody to the main line, but i give it a chance; when I'm able.

Or,

Comment

Well, Wolf I've agreed with most of what you said. Johns is one of the most innovative and continuity conscience writer I've ever read. Saying that I also enjoyed his run on Green Lantern, Teen Titans (the series that got me back into comics) and reintroduction of Brainiac
                Spoiler:
                minus the whole knowledge = buffness explanation
                . I've really haven't gotten into tiny titans, even though I'm a titans fan, it never appealed to me. Comics such as those always seemed like a parody to the main line, but i give it a chance; when I'm able.
                Geoff Johns Teen Titans is actually part of why i started reading comics along with Brad Meltzer's Identity Crises. After he left and Adam Beechen took over i was almost about to stop reading but McKeevers recent work on the book has boosted Teen Titans back up to the top of my stack.
                I should also mention that i hate
                Spoiler:
                the death of superboy and Bart Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf O'Donnell View Post
                  Geoff Johns Teen Titans is actually part of why i started reading comics along with Brad Meltzer's Identity Crises. After he left and Adam Beechen took over i was almost about to stop reading but McKeevers recent work on the book has boosted Teen Titans back up to the top of my stack.
                  I should also mention that i hate
                  Spoiler:
                  the death of superboy and Bart Allen
                  Can we be friends? because you are brilliant, mate.

Spoiler:
                  Except for Mckeevers portrayal of Wonder Girl (being a whinny little bleep, but besides that yeah love his run and can't wait for his Terror Titans mini, which will introduce Static!!!

Or,

Comment

Can we be friends? because you are brilliant, mate.

Spoiler:
                    Except for Mckeevers portrayal of Wonder Girl (being a whinny little bleep, but besides that yeah love his run and can't wait for his Terror Titans mini, which will introduce Static!!!
                    Hahaha of course man!
                    Spoiler:
                    I have to agree with you about Wonder Girl. I understood why she was angry in the start of OYL because Conner was dead and she felt like Wonder Woman left her but at this point i think she needs to calm down a little bit. As for Static i was very excited at first but the more i think about it i would love to see a storyline where the Titans mend fences with all the teenage heroes who joined during the one year gap by traveling to places like Atlantis for Aquagirl and offering her membership or tracking down Empress from Young Justice. I never understood why we do not see more of the Young Justice kids anymore especially with Conner and Bart dyeing I would think Empress, Arrowette and even Secret would be there for Robin and Wonder Girl after two of there best childhood friends died.

Just to ask a question to you Artha and whoever else feels like chiming in:

what are your top three comic books right now?

Mine would have to be:

1. Justice Society of America (as i said before Geoff Johns is fantastic)

2. Teen Titans

3. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: season 8 (After all that talk about DC books im sure no one saw this coming but i have always been a huge Buffy fan and i think the current story arc written by Joss Whedon himself is the best yet!)

Comment

Oh wow do I miss Young Justice! That was a great comic!

Spoiler:
                      Bart died too? That wasn't during Infinite Crisis was it? I thought he made it. And I hated Superboy's death. I was really getting into comics around Death of Superman and he was all ways one of my favs. So he's still dead? That sucks.

One of my bigger beefs with comics latelly is that the years big cross over has a habit of completelly changing around new books that are starting to show promise. Or newer books any way.

Spoiler:
                      Ex: Marvel Civil War. I never got around to reading any of it, but they really disrupted New Avengers which was barelly through it's first year as I recall turning all the heros against each other killing Cap ect. and forcing the books down a whole different path than I'm assuming the creative team had in mind.

(invisible) Nope.

Comment

Oh wow do I miss Young Justice! That was a great comic!

Spoiler:
                        Bart died too? That wasn't during Infinite Crisis was it? I thought he made it. And I hated Superboy's death. I was really getting into comics around Death of Superman and he was all ways one of my favs. So he's still dead? That sucks.

One of my bigger beefs with comics latelly is that the years big cross over has a habit of completelly changing around new books that are starting to show promise. Or newer books any way.

Spoiler:
                        Ex: Marvel Civil War. I never got around to reading any of it, but they really disrupted New Avengers which was barelly through it's first year as I recall turning all the heros against each other killing Cap ect. and forcing the books down a whole different path than I'm assuming the creative team had in mind.
                        Young Justice was great indeed. As for Bart:
                        Spoiler:
                        Bart actually did make it our of the crises but he was aged a few years to about 19 or twenty and because Wally was gone he eventually took up the mantle of the Flash but was killed literally a few issues into his own flash series. It had a great scene of Robin getting a phone call at Titans Tower and falling down because he just lost another one of his best childhood friends. What really makes me mad is that DC killed Bart, a great character, purely for shock value while they killed Superboy to give the second Crises some sort of price and because they were loosing the rights to Superboys name what with the relatives of the creaters of Superman attempting to take the rights away from DC.

As for my take on big events ill leave it spoiler free for now.
                        Did i love Infinite Crises? YES.
                        Did i enjoy Civil War? YES.
                        But do i think that we needed another Crises a few years after the last? NO
                        Do i think that Hulk coming down from space and beating up the Marvel universe is cool? Yes but t undid things that civil war did only a little bit after that took place.

Some Giant Company wide crossovers are very cool but latly its going a bit over kill. Its changes teams, kills characters and costs money and when we have one every other week its not special anymore.

o'd

Comment

I agree that the giant crossovers have lost that specailness in recent years. Now it has a feel like "All right we need a big cross over this year, somebody slap something together"

I remember reading something in Wizard about that. Apparentlly for the yearlly cross over there's a list of characters that you can kill off.

(invisible) Nope.

Comment

Spoiler:
                            Oh and how did Bart die?

(invisible) Nope.

Comment

Spoiler:
                              Oh and how did Bart die?
                              Brace yourself!!

Spoiler:
                              All the Flash rogues, except Grodd, killed him! ("by accident", what ever!!!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_Allen

Or,

Comment

Working...
                              X