Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is The Point Of An Alternate Reality Drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Is The Point Of An Alternate Reality Drive?

From the evidence shown I think it's safe to say the Alternate Reality Drive was developed in a reality that was almost identical to the SGA reality. Therefore the motivations and actions of the people from the original alternate reality would be almost identical to the people from the SGA reality.

The only possible reasons they would have for developing an Alternate Reality Drive, that I can come up with, are these:

1) As a defensive tactic.
    2) To rob other reality's of useful items such as ZPM's.
    3) For pure exploration.

All of these seem highly unlikely motivations; especially considering that, at best, the drive was highly experimental and highly dangerous. Which leads on to the question: why would they fit such a highly experimental and highly dangerous device, that obviously didn't work properly, to such a valuable asset as the Daedelus?

These are the questions that drive Dr. Radek Zelenka to gnaw of his limbs, one by one, in quiet moments of reflection and contemplation.

What say you?
    sigpic

this is a good point!

i was kinda wondering that myself.

looking for zpms would be a good explanation. can you imagine them plundering alternate atlantis' for their zpms? that could make for some interesting villainy!!

maybe the atlanteans who built the drive will come looking for it??

Comment

» Plot device?

Comment

Other than stealing rare things millions of times i suspect Intel would be the best use. You could see what horrible things have a liklihood of happening and plan for them. Be prepared!

Comment

omg ... now i want an evil alt-atlantis soooooo badly ...

Comment

Originally posted by grime View Post
            omg ... now i want an evil alt-atlantis soooooo badly ...
            That would be a good twist.
            sigpic

Comment

Could be from the same alternate reality in which the alternate-SG-1 arrived at the SGC to plunder our Atlantis' ZPM. There's your plot device for unlimited ZPMs....make an alternate reality drive and mess up the other realities

Comment

people. imagine this:

with this drive you can find an entirely empty reality and you can populate it however you want. sort of what anubis planned for dakara weapon. you can go to other realities to procure tech and advancements they had made, gather intel, etc. or you can grab a few mckays and make them work for you. you find a reality where the ancients purged the wraith and ask for help. there are millions of things you can do with it. that's why it unnerves me that shep wont allow mckay to make an improved version of it.

btw the wraith would have an unlimited supply of humans. they would never need to hibernate again. yey!
                sigpic

Comment

I don't see how they were at all similar realties. Sobol commanded the Daedalus, not Caldwell, and the only member of the expedition we know who survived up to that point was McKay. For all we know Earth has been destroyed, and everyone's dead except McKay and the crew of this alternate Daedalus.

They went to other realities to get new tech the same way they travel to different planets to get new tech through the Stargate. Simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo Aquarius View Post
                    Could be from the same alternate reality in which the alternate-SG-1 arrived at the SGC to plunder our Atlantis' ZPM. There's your plot device for unlimited ZPMs....make an alternate reality drive and mess up the other realities
                    there was an evil alt-sg-1?

damn!

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                      I don't see how they were at all similar realties.
                      Because of the fact that they had an identical ship, that had identical tech (excepting the AR drive) and was manned by an SG team that appeared to be human, etc. The fact that it was orbiting the "same" planet, etc. All those factors show that the timeline of the original alternate reality was near identical to the SGA reality timeline.

In the grand scheme of things minor personnel changes are insignificant when it comes to comparing the similarity of two realities.
                      sigpic

Comment

Ripple Effect showed that alternate main characters in Stargate can have radically different motivations than those of the characters we have come to know. I personally think it would have been interesting if this Daedalus had been built in the same reality as from Ripple Effect and the ship's purpose was to snatch ZPMs from as many realities as possible.

Comment

What I thought....

.... do the Acended Acients live in only one 'reality' - or across all realities?

I think it would be good if they came from the 'bad' alt. SG1 reality. Maybe we can find out about which wire to cut and why lol

Comment

Originally posted by Nusku View Post
                            Because of the fact that they had an identical ship, that had identical tech (excepting the AR drive) and was manned by an SG team that appeared to be human, etc. The fact that it was orbiting the "same" planet, etc. All those factors show that the timeline of the original alternate reality was near identical to the SGA reality timeline.

In the grand scheme of things minor personnel changes are insignificant when it comes to comparing the similarity of two realities.
                            I'm sorry, but that's not nearly enough. For one, having Sobol instead of Caldwell is a HUGE change, as that meant that every decision Caldwell ever made could've been made differently by this other captain, and considering the stuff Caldwell has been responsible for...yeah, big changes are not unlikely.

Whats more, McKay was the only one we're semi-sure was alive in Sobol's reality, and if the rest aren't alive, then things would certainly be vastly different. Look at The Last Man and how one fatal error led to a disaster of galactic proportations.

The Daedalus exists, yes, but then it's existed since Season 2 and since then the timeline could've diverged in literally an infinite number of directions, and if the commander of the Daedalus was different for all those years since its appearance, then I don't see how the realities could be at all similar...within reason, of course. I mean, I'm not saying that they're spacetime is made of jello or something, but it's entirely possible that they're in a vastly worse shape than we are right now and are in need of help or supplies from other, more fortunate realities.

Look at Ripple Effect. SG1 was all there, and yet their reality is different enough for them to cross realities to try to steal our ZPM. Same thing here, possibly.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                              I'm sorry, but that's not nearly enough. For one, having Sobol instead of Caldwell is a HUGE change, as that meant that every decision Caldwell ever made could've been made differently by this other captain, and considering the stuff Caldwell has been responsible for...yeah, big changes are not unlikely.

Whats more, McKay was the only one we're semi-sure was alive in Sobol's reality, and if the rest aren't alive, then things would certainly be vastly different. Look at The Last Man and how one fatal error led to a disaster of galactic proportations.

The Daedalus exists, yes, but then it's existed since Season 2 and since then the timeline could've diverged in literally an infinite number of directions, and if the commander of the Daedalus was different for all those years since its appearance, then I don't see how the realities could be at all similar...within reason, of course. I mean, I'm not saying that they're spacetime is made of jello or something, but it's entirely possible that they're in a vastly worse shape than we are right now and are in need of help or supplies from other, more fortunate realities.

Look at Ripple Effect. SG1 was all there, and yet their reality is different enough for them to cross realities to try to steal our ZPM. Same thing here, possibly.
                              Your response tells me that you failed to see the implications of what I said. Therefore I can't really respond further without it seeming like I'm calling you a moron.

May I suggest you dedicate yourself to a lifetime's study of the nature of reality -- you could throw in some quantum mechanics too -- then come back to me.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X