Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McSwift View Post
    1) SGA - Episode 2x06 - Trinity
    We explore the introduction of using massive energy from subspace that would surpass ZPMs (failed technology)
    For the record, this is incorrect. Preoject Arcturus did not draw power from subspace, it drew Zero Point Energy (i.e., "Vacuum Energy") from real space.

To quote the episode:
    4) SGA - Episode 5x04 - The Daedalus Variations
    An alternate McKay from an alternate universe finally creates similar technologies that draws energy from subspace successfully, however the AR drive has a malfunction that causes them to jump from universe to universe (somewhat mixed results)

It seems to me that the AR drive technology is the main technology, and the subspace capacitor technology was created for the drive. Maybe we finally will see our own designs for a powersource similar to the ZPM from the results of this
    One problem that I have pointed out is that, if the "Subspace Capacitor" shares flaws

I can't help but believe that when we actually left the Alternate Daedalus stranded at the previous universe, that we left the ship to the "Legion" (what i'm calling the new aliens). I really think thats how our new enemy is going to get to our universe!
    Except that the Alternate Daedalus was going the wrong "way" for those aliens to capture it.

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
    It was a drive, the Subspace Tap was the energy source. I do believe we've found teh Tolan infinite enrgy source, aka: subspace energy extration array.
    Not necessarily: there are quite a few other technologies capable of producing "unlimited productive energy." For example, fusion, antimatter, ad singularity power would all be able to generate immense amounts of energy with the proper infrastructure: for fusion, the fuel (deuterium) is fairly easily extracted from sea water, and material (presumably hydrogen) for conversion to antimatter is even more common. Fuel for a singularity power supply is even easier to find: you just drop anything into singularity and reap the E=m(c^2) energy release as the object is crunched down to the volume of a pinhead.

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
    It would be perfect for long duration, isolated projects, infinite energy, anytime, anywhere.
    Except that the other group used the Tollan power supply to make war, and wound up blowing up their own planet. I'm not sure that the Subspace Capacitor is capable of that sort of output; antimatter or a singularity power supply, on the other hand...
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

the subspace tap was flawed because it was messed with. there presumably WAS a valve, it was ripped off to get more power.

and yes, i do agree alternate reality exploration is usefull. i mean, how many times have alternate realities saved our asses?

Comment

But it is really risky, we could end up with an invasion from a Mirror Universe like in Trek (there is a lot of fan stories about it and the plans for the defiant were stolen)

It could be beneficial but it can be REALLY disastrous.

www.darkarmada.nl
        www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

so we have to make protocols for such invasions. besides, only we would know the amount of jumps we are away from our universe. aliens would have to capture a formidable spaceship. even if they were Superhive level. we'd just blow the ship up and we're fine

Comment

Using McKay's analogy - filling the bucket with water, when its full the drive engages.

Now if you don't empty the bucket (engage the drive) then it overflows and you get water everywhere.

It looks more like a one-use system, you build it up and THEN you can use it. If your shields drain all the power before it builds up again then your screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
              Using McKay's analogy - filling the bucket with water, when its full the drive engages.

Now if you don't empty the bucket (engage the drive) then it overflows and you get water everywhere.

It looks more like a one-use system, you build it up and THEN you can use it. If your shields drain all the power before it builds up again then your screwed.
              I'm understand the first two pts clearly but don't get the third; course I'm starting here so I should prob go back to earlier explanations
              If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
              [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Originally posted by =SGA=Jason_Binn View Post
                and then you have all these alt realities sticking up ONLY FOR their realities might make a mess of things, and then maybe some reality could be one of those nega-realities and so you have SG-1 whose goal is to punish and enslave and yada yada....
                notice u live in lots o places over the state o Cali; was born there live in MA now; most o my US relatives live there
                If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
                [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Originally posted by StargateWatcher View Post
                  I'm understand the first two pts clearly but don't get the third; course I'm starting here so I should prob go back to earlier explanations
                  What im saying is that the power source is not a continuous supply of energy but a single burst, shields, weapons and hyperdrive wouldn't benefit from having power for 10 seconds and then having to wait 4 hours to be able to be used again.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                    What im saying is that the power source is not a continuous supply of energy but a single burst, shields, weapons and hyperdrive wouldn't benefit from having power for 10 seconds and then having to wait 4 hours to be able to be used again.
                    Probely reply to a dead post, but instead of 1 single Subspace Capacitors, how about many more?

Power output level could be dependant to their configurations

Steady reasonable high power output? Put them in a serial configuration( releashing one after each other)
                    Need a hugh amount of Energy in 1 shot? Put them paralell to each other

Altough there are still some issue for example:
                    Can a Subspace Capacitor by itself can be turned off? Perhaps only after discharging stored Energy?

How big are they and/or How many can be placed for a steady amount of serielized power generators?

Does Capacitor size and internal configuration matter?

Like Orban Naquadah Geneators is smaller compared to a Tauri mark 1
                    But the bigger Mark 2 got more bang, albeit for limited uses

The one-shot capabilities of shown Subspace Capacitors can provide temporay relive on the ZPMs
                    Could you not compare it to a single lighting strike? Stargate Atlantis S01E10 The Storm / S01E10 The Eye?

Given that its a established fact that the Stargate itself is a capacitors, could one constructed a device to be "Half a gate" , and yes i ripped this one of "Terra from the Deep" fanfic

Using a general energy storage device, powered by seriealized Subspace capacitors it could provide a steady stream of power for a long time, like shield/cloak/phasing/time dilation/stasis etc

Even if its not enough for a complete replacement, the ZPM can used during the gaps as Backup/buffer, extending the lifetime of the ZPM

Ofcourse long time operation of constant power use may wear down after ahile, depends on their construction.

As for the Alternate Reality Drive? Equip it and subspace capacitors to send it as a Voyager probe.

Equip it with Quantum Mirror, visual&verbal communication only device, sans physical travel
                    This seems slow, but equipped with a laser emitors and recievers allows for fast computer communicatons.
                    For security, standalone computers could be used to prevent a direct line for a hostile party, either direction

OR/AND Equip it with time capsules with instruction that contemporary advanced humans can decypher
                    Foretought should be what info to share without endanger the recieving party or friendly third party
                    Goauld or other hostile could intercept this and use it against Tauri and/or neutrals, or Sarita-like situation

I know its a bit off-topic could a active stargate be used for as anchor points for safer WormDrive Jumps?
                    In a similair way the Morgan Le Fay's trick of moving Merlins Lab between planets

Comment

Working...
                    X