Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anti-S9 thread. For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if i'm the only one but I see watching S9 as a duty rather than fun.
    Has anyone noticed the simillarities between "Babylon" and "The Last Samurai" (speaking about cliches) ? Have the TPTB gotten so lazy?

Comment

Originally posted by ccdsah View Post
      I don't know if i'm the only one but I see watching S9 as a duty rather than fun.
      Has anyone noticed the simillarities between "Babylon" and "The Last Samurai" (speaking about cliches) ? Have the TPTB gotten so lazy?
      Yeah, great catch GREEN !

Comment

yeah...and how about the Scourge??? was I the only one who thought that she was watching the mummy???
        Ok there is always something that you can see in another movie or show or serie but it really seems that they really have issues with it in season 9 eh

Comment

You're not the only one, but for me the decline started in S8 (first season whose episodes I haven't watched in sequence, still there were episodes I loved and rewatched ("New Order 1&2", "Lockdown", "Gemini", "Threads", "Moebius 1&2", "It's good to be king"), something that hasn't happened with S9)

Comment

yet another in the long, long, long line of 'homages'

they USED to be a bit of a scene but are now whole episodes mimicked from someone else's shows
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Babylon was double double homage, because you had the Last Samuri AND the Star Trek episode where Kirk and Spock have to "fight to the death".
              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

whereas Enemy Mine was such a blatant rip off they even used the same title of the movie they homaged

homages can be fun. Jack calling hammond Homer, the dead creature in the sand in Enemies, the 'it hit paris' line from fail safe (at least in that one they acknowledged that they were ripping off armageddon)

but homages need to be used sparingly. they key to using them is knowing when to stop.

coop and the boys seem to have an issue with stopping :/

sigpic

Comment

But you really have to wonder if using The Last Samurai "homage" and the deal that MGM made with Cruise and Wagner to take over this

http://www.mgm.com/corp_news_releases.do?id=509

?
                  Last edited by LaCroix; 14 November 2006, 03:07 PM. Reason: Just because.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    yet another in the long, long, long line of 'homages'

they USED to be a bit of a scene but are now whole episodes mimicked from someone else's shows
                    I think they used to maybe take an idea from a movie or show and then do a creative spin on it. I find the way they joke about doing "rip offs" in the commentaries rather depressing.

Comment

who doesn't homage stuff? I've stuck MASH references in fic, rewrote the space above and beyond story 'sugar dirt' (which, in itself was based on a WWII experience). i've referred to touched by an angel in a fic

but, at lest in my opinions, the nods are just that, nods. I took a line or idea or premise and played iwth it.

I didn't mimick the whole frakking episode.

heck, they even homage themselves. Anyone that's seen the atl eps irresistable will notice that it's eerily similar to Hathor...but not quite as much fun, at least it wasn't for me

sigpic

Comment

Ok, I got Season 9 for Christmas and started watching some of the episodes and commentaries. They mention that they have a bunch of new people on the crew, including the lighting tech, etc. Having watched past commentaries I have actually gotten to know the names of some of the behind the scenes people & they were with the show a long time. Anyone know why some of them left? Were they connected to RDA & so left when when he did?

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
                          Ok, I got Season 9 for Christmas and started watching some of the episodes and commentaries. They mention that they have a bunch of new people on the crew, including the lighting tech, etc. Having watched past commentaries I have actually gotten to know the names of some of the behind the scenes people & they were with the show a long time. Anyone know why some of them left? Were they connected to RDA & so left when when he did?

They may have been connected to Gekko. So when RDA and Michael Greenburg left they left too. Wish I knew more.

Comment

Maybe they got themselves work on a good show .
                            Or did they leave before the season began when there was still hope.
                            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Working...
                            X