This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Pro Season 9 Thread

OK, here's a place of all of us that are in favor of a season 9 to positively discuss our thoughts on a possible season 9. What are some of the positive things we think we'll see next season, what would we like to see, ect...

(Thanks to Mod. Madeleine for giving me the OK to start this thread.)

It's late and I really should be in bed, but I'll start off by saying that I'm really happy that we're going to see a season nine, I have several reasons that I'll express Monday, after I've gotten some sleep.

I'd like to see a season nine, even if that four episode deal regarding RDA is true. I like the character of Jack O'Neill, but I'll watch the show regardless. They would need to add at least one new character. They could do that either one of two ways. Assign a new CO to the SGC. Or they could add a new member to SG-1 (*cough.Jonas.cough*) and have Jack remain as CO, but have him convinently never seen, as in they recap what happened during the meeting just as SG-1 is leaving. Both have their strong points and both have there weak points. I don't know which one I prefer.
    Rocky

Comment

I too would like to see a season 9. I think that a lot of good stories can still be told, so the show should go on. As for the lack of Jack (ha!), I'm okay with it. They've been steadily weening me off of him for the past couple seasons. At this point I wouldn't mind him not even doing the four episodes he's supposedly going to do. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Jack. But seeing as how his schedule has really been affecting the show, I wouldn't be too upset over him leaving.
      MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

A ninth season of SG1 would be great, in all cases. However ...

The lack of RDA. This could be a problem to some however I still think a ninth season could work very well without him .. as long as his appearance on the show was still there. He's got four episodes for season nine, and perhaps they should be spread over the season as say ... guest appearances, and perhaps some good on-screen viewing of RDA in the S9 finale.

AT also said she'd be returning to the set in March, when her baby is due. I don't know how they'll get around this and keep AT's baby out of the picture. I could be quite a tough job indeed.

But overall, a ninth season could go down very well as long as it is approached and finished with care, and not sloppy and just thrown together. Get some good thoughts into the storyline and around all the characters and it could be all good.
        __

__

Comment

all that really matters is the science fiction concepts. If they weave some new and innovative science fiction concepts in I'll be very pleased.

Involve the Ancients, explain why terrans appear so much like Ancients, explain what happend to the Furlings, just approach it from a fresh pure science fiction perspective again with some history, culture and adventure thrown in. something in the vein of the black hole episode

Comment

I'm still in withdrawal from the loss of Buffy, Angel and especially Farscape. I don't want to lose my other favourite show just yet. Stargate isn't as good as it once was, but it still has enough high peaks to be worthwhile.

Madeleine

Comment

I'm very happy with the news of s9 and would be
              very interested in seeing how they use RDA's 4
              episode's, someone over in the Sam and Jack's
              shipper thread said it would be great if tptb
              were to put Jack in charge of the Alpha site and Sam already with Jack in a relationship,that would give Amanda time to at
              least to get over the birth of her baby.
              I think the ptb need to bring in at least one
              more body as at the moment s8 is looking a little thin on the ground with both Janet and
              Hammond out of the picture.
              So yes all in all i'm very much looking foreward to where s9 will take us, a little side note as a fan i'm still watching so it's
              still holding my interest i love all these
              characters and the journey with them, i find myself moaning when Sam and Jack once again get
              interupted when trying to talk "that talk" and
              the banter between Jack and Daniel and Teal'c
              well i can just fall over with laughter or just
              gasp with heaven knows what feelings when Teal'c show's just how deap he is.
              This show is far from finished and i take my
              hat of to both the wonderful cast and crew
              ......TARA......

Comment

Can we just set up a Season 9 part of this forum because if seems that season 8 talk is over in here.

Plus how many do we really need? Can't we all ***** and moan to each other in ONE topic?
                It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

Originally posted by David85
                  Can we just set up a Season 9 part of this forum because if seems that season 8 talk is over in here.

Plus how many do we really need? Can't we all ***** and moan to each other in ONE topic?
                  Actually, I believe the point is that THESE people would rather not be moaned at.

Comment

binkpmmc: Well, I'm not personally that good of a writer, but here a few of the things I'd like to see: find some Furlings, discover what happened to the Tollan, have a two parter where the Aschen try and invade Earth. My favorite idea is that somehow an alternate Ra comes through the Quantum Mirror and causes trouble. Again, I'm not the best idea guy so those may not sound too good. But I have confidence that the writers at Stargate could come up with some good things. Also, I think the format of SG-1 allows it to continually have the possibility of turning out great new stories. Unlike, say, Babylon 5 which was planned out from the beginning. Season 5 of that is evidence of what happens when you try to extend something that already came to it's written end (whether that be because of threats of cancellation or otherwise).
                    MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                      I'm still in withdrawal from the loss of Buffy, Angel and especially Farscape. I don't want to lose my other favourite show just yet. Stargate isn't as good as it once was, but it still has enough high peaks to be worthwhile.
                      Ya, me too with Buffy and Angel. I never got started with Farscape, my loss I'm sure. Add to that Fox's apparant canning of Tru Calling and I'd be left without anything. As I've said before, Stargate SG-1 at 60% of what it once was (an arbitrary number, not at all saying the show is at that point) is still better than 99% of everything else out there.
                      Carter: Navigation? O'Neill: Check. Carter: Oxygen, Pressure, Temperature Control?
                      O'Neill: Check. Carter: Internal Dampeners? O'Neill: Cool!, and Check. Carter: Engine?
                      O'Neill: All Check. O'Neill: Phasers? Carter: Sorry Sir.

Comment

Some really good points have already been made here (and yes Major Fischer was right I started this thread because I prefered to not read through the moaning posts...you'll noice I started an Anti thread as well)

I agree with those above that have pointed out that RDA's agreement to only do 4 episodes could in a way help the show. Now don't get me wrong I love RDA and Jack just as much as the next guy and I will miss him, but while I have enjoyed S7 and S8 I will admit it seems that because of RDA's limited schedule the show has been shot in a very different matter, and at times it makes the RDA appearences seem a little token as someone said. If you have listened to the S7 commentaries on the DVD's the chopped up shooting schedule is mentioned several times.

OK, that said I do agree that the way RDA is written out or in the script is very important. What I wouldn't like to see is the writers treat it like Jack is at the base and we just don't see him for 16 out of the 20 episodes. There are so good possibilities that could explain Jacks absence. Personally I'd like to see the season primer (possibly a two parter) deal with his disaperance, then bring him back at the end of the season. We know that S8's final show spoiler hightlight to read Deals with time travel of some sort as we'll see Kalwalski again and the team is talking to a first prime Teal'c, So here's a thought maybe somehow the team minus Jack is able to get back to our present time and as the season progresses we see the team go on with their duties while always trying to find a way to fix the wrong and get Jack back to present time Hey it's just a thought.

I do agree that I'd like to see a few new characters brought into the show either are regulars or semi regulars. If we're not going to have Jack I think we'd need to see an interim CO at the base, I'd like to see a new Doctor (Yes I miss Janet) but I still think that we need to see who's in charge at the infirmary. And I would like to see someond added to the team of a sort. I'd love to see Adam Baldwin's Dixon back or a yound LT that can come in and grow and learn from the team.

Some storys I'd like to see is the Furlings explained, let's see Nick again, are all the Tollans really gone, there's alway Baal, and the other snakes we might run across...

One thing that I think may be very helpful to TPTB is if we do finially get some offical word about S9 and we know RDA's only going to be around for 4 eps then maybe the writers can sit down and be have a little more freedom when they plot out the season.

As for AT's baby, I have a feeling that we'll notice very little, showbuz is great at working around mommies....and one question, when do they actually start filming a season? It might not even have an effect at all

OK I'll shut up now, I've rambled WAY TO MUCH
                        Last edited by norriski; 08 November 2004, 09:47 AM.

Comment

I think you have to consider what a season 9 would mean for the crew and other secondary actors on SG-1. It would mean another year of paychecks and job security. These hard working people have to make a living too.

Comment

A season nine with reduced eps is fine. After all, I think HBO series only do 13 eps a season.
                            RDA for four eps is fine. As long as they are substantive pieces and no cameos spread over 15 eps where he tells an inappropriate joke here and there.
                            AT pregnancy?
                            On Star Trek, I think The characters of Bellana(VOyager) and Kira(DS9) all had real life pregancies on the show. In the world of Scifi you can come up with all sorts of bizzare reasons why a character is pregnant. AT's TV baby doesn't HAVE to be PETE'S.
                            Infact, maybe she can carry a new genetically modified Asgard bub to help out with their cloning problem(have they solved that problem already?). or something.
                            A directive to OUTLAW earth based eps that just save budget!! If ya wanna do stories about earth, go write for the west wing or something.
                            OUTLAW all romance-well most.Again, go write for Days Of Our Lives, if that's ya thing.
                            A character MUST at least go through the GATE EVERY ep!!
                            Ya gotta keep the writers on their toes and make sure they don't stray like they have for the past couple of seasons.
                            Sheesh, i don't know if I've been awfully pro in this thread.
                            I AM pro season 9 if they OBEY our list of demands!!

Comment

So what does everyone think of the new news from Michael Greenberg on the GW home page today?

Apart from trying not to get too excited at what seems to be more and stronger indications by the minute that a S9 is on its way in case of disappointment, I'm very curious about this whole 'travelling back in time to visit past unresolved threads' thing.

On the surface, it sounds like a terrific idea. (I really loved Julie Fortune's Sacrifice Moon SG novel, partly because it went back to the start of things). But where I could see it being done successfully in a book, I'm not sure how they'd do it on screen.

The actors are all much older for one thing. I think it would be tough to make them look the way they did then. And without Jack it would be even harder.

Spoiler:
                              Unless, of course, this is a spin off from the end of S8, with the present team left in the past at the end of Mobius and the first half, say, of S9 devoted to them stuck in the past. But then that would be weird to pull off, I think. Especially as Carter was so hot not to do anything to change the past in 1969. And it wouldn't be much fun just visiting and watching past events unfolding and doing nothing. Then there's the ramifications of changing the past...would you wipe out the events of favourite early season episodes...and I think I've suddenly lost the will to live trying to figure it out.

Oh well...it all sounds fascinating and I'm crossing my fingers we get there, however they'd work it.

Would be interested to hear what others think of this development though.

Oh and come on, you pro-9ers!! I was dismayed to see the anti thread still at the top of the front page of this folder and that I had to come all the way back to page four to find this one!!! Let's not give TPTB the impression that there's more fans NOT wanting S9 than are. Get posting, guys! Give them a reason to get out that chequebook.

Albion
                              Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Working...
                              X