No announcement yet.

The Siege, Part 1 (119)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as the "Wraith outnumber Ancient" theory goes, I think it does makes sense. It's kinda like Russians vs. Germans in WWII, Germans have better tanks but Russians have more.

Or if you were to take an example from Stargate the movie, recall the two Jaffa that got swamped by the miners near the end... Sure they've got staff weapons but there were so many miners.

And here's a brief summary.

Starting the episode is McKay telling Weir that he believes the Ancient Orbital weapon can be used to destroy the hive ships. Weir agrees and McKay sets off with Grodin and a pilot (forgot his name). Meanwhile, John, Teyla, and com. are looking for another possible alpha site. Things go wrong and Bates accuses Teyla of unwillingly giving away information. John comes to Teyla's aid by explaining they ran into a T-Rex like creature. Teyla however, got into a confrontation with Bates but John stops her in time.

McKay and com. arrives at the weapon platform and managed to get the station on line. Grodin activates the AG field and McKay falls on the floor rather hard. A string of bad luck then ensued as McKay draws the short straw (pencil) and has to go EVA to fix the satalite.

Back on Atlantis, Bates is found unconscious from serious injury. Teyla is suspected and questioned by John. She is soon cleared by Beckett as he finds Wraith DNA on Bates. John, Teyla, and Aiden go after the Wraith in two teams. They managed to capture the Wraith.

Meanwhile McKay manages to get the station on line, just in time for the hive ships' arrival. The weapon fires and destroy its first target easily, however the weapon goes off line and Grodin is trapped inside as the remaining hive ships fire on the satalite.

After getting the bad news Weir declares the plan to evacuate the city. John get frustrated with their new prisoner and decides to kill it...

Comment

I thought this episode was fantastic, with lots of little tidbits revelead... Most interesting was the Database stuff that was mentioned about space travel, ascension and weapon schematics... They will definately play a bigger part down the track...

I jumped out of my chair and cheered when the first Wraith hive ship was destroyed... A great Atlantis moment! I was pretty pissed off about Grodin dying, that was definately a bullsh!t decision by the writers. The Seige - Part II will definately up the ante next week... Should be a very interesting battle...
      "I'm thinking of nice turkey sandwich..."

Comment

ANALYSIS
        IMO, Grodin death is due to Zelenka developpement.
        Zelenka and Grodin were redondant at "resident" tech/sci character, like if there was two Siler or two Hariman in SG-1. Except his expertise, Grodin hadnt any significant character specificity.
        Zelenka is simultaneously the "czech guy" and McKay rival. Grodin didnt survive to such natural selection of the more efficient character...
        TV series, like Life, begin with too much and continue with just enough. That's an universal rule of stabilty...

Now, the second thing which make "tilt" in my head was the database stuff.
        We learnt that they only "scratched the surface", like the asgard did.
        Oh my god! what will they discover in future seasons?
        The ascencion recepy?
        The plans of the Nuclearisator, a powerful weapon powered by 20 zpms which is able to destroy armadas 20 millions lightyears away?
        The true scenario of Gone with the wind end?
        The telephone number of the Hologram lady?

An other thing : the orbital platform shot like the mini-ones in SG1 episode "Absolute power" : standard laser thing, no jellyfishs. IMO, Orbital platforms are one of the many technologies Goa'uld had stolen.

conclusion :
        It dont seem that it s a season finale. Just a speedy episode to introduce the catastrophic situation where stands the TRUE finale... Its like The Lost City Part One.
        Part 2 will have 42 minutes to introduce Terrian contingent, to make new colonel shrie with Shep, etc, i mean, with all spoilers we read, and THE end we dont know, this episode will be incredibly fast!

last, but no least:
        WHO WAS THIS NEW LIEUTENANT WHO CAN PILOT PJs SO EASILY?
        GOA'ULD: Who are you?
        WRAITH: I am your death!
        GOA'ULD: Don't believe so... I am your God!
        WRAITH: What is a god? Is it eatable?
        GOA'ULD: O_o

Comment

i didnt expect them to blow up a wraith ship.. I thought it would cut out and restart next time with earts forces arriving..

But it didnt take away from it at all.

I was slightly bothered that grodin was killed, but its not that big a deal, he wasnt a main character that i was attached to like some nuts here (j/k).

Great episode, althought the satelites easy dispatch of the ship was.. a bit much. 1/3 of their forces gone in a moment.

I was suprised by the wraiths awesome weapons. Whoever said that it took 2 ships to destroyt the sattelite and not even in 1 hit was really not giving credit where its due. Itd have only taken 1 ship to destroy the satellite. They sprayed that blue plasma (?) rapid fire into the sattelite and blew it to hell in moments.

overall very impressive and i cant wait to see the end. Too bad Sg1 and Atlantis are all our of sync. Id have been good to see it in the intended order.

Comment

Originally posted by Zipacna_fr
            last, but no least:
            WHO WAS THIS NEW LIEUTENANT WHO CAN PILOT PJs SO EASILY?
            I haven't seen the ep, yet. (*crosses fingers for tonight*), but could it be Stackhouse? Him and that other guy... starts with M...
            Spoiler:
            (the one that was killed in the brohterhood)
            , I think they both knew how to fly the jumper.
            But we do know that more than a dozen people have the gene. Would make sense that they trained all of them. Like Beckett can fly. From what I gather, it's not *that* hard to fly the jumper. John, with his training, would of course do it best, but it seems to be pretty instictive. You think, it flies. IF you manage well with the other technology, basic/reasonably good control over the jumper shouldn't be too hard. Like it doesn'T take much to learn how to drive a car - for most people anyways. But to drive a race car, different thing. So a normal car would be normal jumper flying abilities, racing cars--- John.

Comment

Markum and Stackhouse both died though, so it couldnt be him.

Comment

Originally posted by Blend
                Markum and Stackhouse both died though, so it couldnt be him.
                Stackhouse is still alive and can't pilot Jumpers. Miller is obviously the other pilot from The Brotherhood that we didn't get to see... probably with Stackhouse on board with him.

I think Craig might have said that stuff in the interview so as not to spoil the surprise... PETER!!!

Comment

i dont get why people are so hung up on this wraith tech? it was never said they were super advance. the hologram lady said their power rivaled their own. and then in before i slept it was made crystal clear that one on one, the ancients won. but the wraith had too many numbers. remember the screen when the cargo ship was coming in? there was the 1 cargo ship and hundreds of darts. obviously the darts arent that powerful as they have it the PJs before and not blown it up but enough hits and pj goes down.

like the kid said- they got a zerlig rush. 1 pj may take out 10 darts but what about the other 90 that are coming his way. wier said clearly they lost not b/c of tech, but that they were completly out numbered.

see its the simple.
                  come read my website!!!!!!!!!

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Comment

What I don't understand is, the system atlantis is in. is kinda big as are most star systems. In this episode they say that the ancient satalite is the last of a network that would have protected the whole star system.

Anyone care to take a guess on the odds that the Wraith fleet would enter the star system right next to that one remaining Ancient satalite let alone within range of it's particle beam?

plz don't reply with something stupid like "oh but they through it was dead so they wasn't worried about it"

Space is vast

Maybe there's a reasonable explanation such as the satalite was located in one of the few if only safe places to exit hyperspace in a star system due to navigational hazards such as planetary bodies etc. Even then that's assuming a lot but it makes sense to me.
                    Last edited by V-MAN; 25 January 2005, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by keppiezbt
                      i dont get why people are so hung up on this wraith tech? it was never said they were super advance. the hologram lady said their power rivaled their own. and then in before i slept it was made crystal clear that one on one, the ancients won. but the wraith had too many numbers. remember the screen when the cargo ship was coming in? there was the 1 cargo ship and hundreds of darts. obviously the darts arent that powerful as they have it the PJs before and not blown it up but enough hits and pj goes down.

like the kid said- they got a zerlig rush. 1 pj may take out 10 darts but what about the other 90 that are coming his way. wier said clearly they lost not b/c of tech, but that they were completly out numbered.

see its the simple.

KID?!

is 23

Comment

So we know Teyla needs anger management classes, and TPTB are trying to give her mind-meld talents now, ala Spock? She seems to totally change every week. I'm really tired of her - her character has changed so much, she almost seems schizo.

We got another Wraith prisoner and they bumped him off awfully fast. I really want to see some juicy interaction with the Wraith, other than killing.

And Grodin. *sigh* . .I was really starting to like him - big disappointment. I'm not overly happy with this episode, but will hold judgement until Pt. 2.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

OMG! They killed Grodin! Those *******s!

And they put Bates in a coma.

Interestingly, I had a feeling that there was going to be a "Go! Leave me here and I'll fire the weapon" moment, but I thought it'd be McKay that did it, not Grodin. Then I thought the weapon wouldn't fire and the Wraith would ignore it and they'd rescue McKay.

Then, I thought in the last few seconds of the episode, Becket would walk into Weir's office where her and Sheppard were talking, only to tell them that Bates had just died from his injuries.

Instead we get Bates in limbo and Grodin D-E-A-D-DEAD!

Ahh! This is too much...

BYE
                          "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                            So we know Teyla needs anger management classes, and TPTB are trying to give her mind-meld talents now, ala Spock? She seems to totally change every week. I'm really tired of her - her character has changed so much, she almost seems schizo.

We got another Wraith prisoner and they bumped him off awfully fast. I really want to see some juicy interaction with the Wraith, other than killing.

And Grodin. *sigh* . .I was really starting to like him - big disappointment. I'm not overly happy with this episode, but will hold judgement until Pt. 2.
                            I'm really liking Teyla. She's cool now. She has a kind of purpose. Really liked The Gift.

I think that I would be kind of pissed off and hit Bates if he accused me of giving away information to the Wraith.

Bob should have lasted longer, yes...

And Grodin... well...
                            Spoiler:
                            with the interview with the guy who plays him, it turns out he's really not actually quite dead considering the guy was saying that he would like to go off-world in season 2. We're just supposed to think he's dead. He's not really. The Wraith probably beamed him out.

If I were the Wraith I would beam him up and try to get information from him.

So don't be too sad.

I loved this episode!

Can't wait for next week!

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                            Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha17X
                              For anyone who didn't catch it. I'm pretty sure McKay called Zelenka "Bradik"
                              Maybe it's his first name or something. I tried looking it up, but so far haven't found anything on it... but I did find out that Zelenka means "little green one". Hmm.

|| McKay: Do you know how much I hate certain death? ||
                              || Beckett: I'm a doctor, not a bloody fighter-pilot! ||
                              || Sheppard: Don't take on an alien armada single-handedly... Understood. ||

Comment

Originally posted by queenselqet31
                                Maybe it's his first name or something. I tried looking it up, but so far haven't found anything on it... but I did find out that Zelenka means "little green one". Hmm.
                                MAYBE ZELENKA'S AN ALIEN SPY!

AHHH!!!

*runs*

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                                Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Working...
                                X