Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415
    Major General

Default Re: The Siege, Part 1 (119)

it may be convenient, but it was also logical.

Convient and logical are two very criteras
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by Tok'Ra Hostess View Post
    Oh, and how many of you yelled out loud at the geniuses that 3 people can't play rock, paper, sissors?
    Every time I watched the episode. They could just continue with the game until either a winner or a loser emerges, as decided before the game begins. That would have happened on the second or third round with only three people. No need to break a perfectly good pencil.

Sheppard did realize that he was completely shattering the Geneva Convention when he shot Bob, didn't he? I can see his reasons for killing him, but a small part of my brain muttering, "And here Kavanagh goes again."
    He is the main character. He can do anything. He can make stupid jokes when people die and structures worth millions of dollars that had survived for thoisands of years explode. Sheppard gets excused because he's somehow doing that for the people, and not his ego. It's hard to like Kavanagh, but I feel he's been treated unfairly, when this picking on him continues for 2 seasons at least.

Teyla was awesome when she hit Sergeant Bates in the face. It must be hard on her surviving in the human society, being accused of serving the Wraith, being crazy, and on several occasions needing to ask for permission from military guards and medical staff to leave or proceed with whatever plan she had. If I was her, I'd be strongly tempted to send Wraith onto Atlantis, after such treatment, keeping in mind that it is Humans who own the city now, and the city's survival is of little concern to them (as revealed in the dialogue between Weir and Halling.)

I'm noticing that no plans for practical evacuation exist yet. They are preparing to leave almost naked (presumably to die of hunger, disease, Iratus bug or t-rexes). Atlantis does have at least a couple Gateships at their disposal. Those should have been loaded with supplies and technology needed the most to re-establish a base elsewhere.

The black military grade NEC video monitors looked awesome, quite sturdy and without unnecessary shine on their finish. It's not the first occurrence when the brand is being prominently shown in closeup. It was a great company, good products, DiamondTrons, CD burners, etc. But the opening scene looked like an ad.

But since it is a great brand, here it goes again.

It's hard to like Kavanagh, but I feel he's been treated unfairly, when this picking on him continues for 2 seasons at least.
    just watch "38 minutes".

The entire Kavanaugh hatred thing is poorly setup and completely unjustified. It's a very, very forced hatred.

Major General

Maybe he took a dump in the coffee pot that everyone else drank from?

Air Force Chief of Staff mrscopterdoc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
    Unlike for some people, Bates didn't grow on me at all. He was within his right to question Teyla. But he goes way over the top. Almost to the point where it's just blind hate. I'm glad Teyla hit him.
    I agree with you! I just never liked Bates.

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Ohper View Post
    That Dart was modified, they said that very explicitly.

We've seen a fraction of Atlantis. You simply can't make that kind of assumption. Despite the obvious fact that they would be kept near the Gate, the mere fact that we saw one cruising around Antarctica means they used them for other things as well.

Outside of those two problems, it was a really good post

You seem to enjoy crunching numbers, so here are some images for your counting pleasure (I assume the big dots are Hives, while the little ones are Darts):

Zelenka said it's the last of several dozen. Dictionary.com's primary definition of several is "Being of a number more than two or three but not many". I'm thinking at least four, at the very most ten dozen satellites once defended the area. The mere fact that only one remains indicates that they were all put to good use.

I rewatched the part with Zelenka's quote, I didn't hear anything about defending the entire star system. If you could give me an approximate time, I'd appreciate it

Now, onto My Opinion of the Episode

Overall: Great.

Character development: Zelenka's development and screen-time is clearly being put in place to offset the death of you-know-who. I like this, since I'm a Zelenka fan and I didn't much like you-know-who. We also saw the excellent scenes with Teyla and Bates, and learned about how Teyla and her people get offended by accusations of working for the Wraith. Excellent, largely overlooked scene with Halling speaking to Weir about destroying Atlantis. Really said alot about the differences between Athosians and Earthlings' respective points of view. Shep had a good, although rather short scene with Bob. Ford was a little annoying with this one, following Shep around the whole time.

Action: Nice seeing the Hive ship destroyed, that was pretty much it. I wouldn't have minded seeing the T-Rex, but oh well

Definetly can't wait for next week.
    The thing was modified for range not firepower it would have weaker weapons of anything

Probie

I'm just rewatching this episode and something that bothers me is th whole "Ancient Database" issue.
    Zelenka states that they can only save 7, maybe 8 percent of the database. This seems to me pretty ridiculous as he makes it a point to state the city has extreme redundancies and that even if destroyed, the technology could still be reverse engineered. Wouldn't that mean that the database itself would also have redundancies in place allowing it to be recreated with a minimum of surviving data?

Quote Originally Posted by pro View Post
    I'm just rewatching this episode and something that bothers me is th whole "Ancient Database" issue.
    Zelenka states that they can only save 7, maybe 8 percent of the database. This seems to me pretty ridiculous as he makes it a point to state the city has extreme redundancies and that even if destroyed, the technology could still be reverse engineered. Wouldn't that mean that the database itself would also have redundancies in place allowing it to be recreated with a minimum of surviving data?
    Zelenka explained that the database is "incredibly redundant" because it has an ability to constantly back itself up. That's not a problem because the Wraith can recreate destroyed data. That's a problem because it means the data is not stored solely on a central computer that the expedition could destroy on their way out. Rather it is stored there and it stores backups throughout the city's computer systems, so one surviving piece of the city could contain backup data on ZPMs, while another contains backup data on hyperdrive engines, and so on and so forth. Thus, there remained a risk that the Wraith could find what they wanted if they went through with their initial self-destruct plan because Zelenka did not know what was backed up where and exactly what would or would not be recoverable.

The issue with them saving 7 or 8 percent of the database was that the Ancient computers are apparently built into the city and lack detachable storage drives that can be carried through the Stargate. As a result, the expedition could only save a small percentage to their own Earth-made storage devices...

WEIR: How much of it could we save?

ZELENKA: I'm sorry?

WEIR: Of the database. Now, we brought a lot of hard drives with us -- how much could we transfer to our computers?

ZELENKA: You mean, like, back it up -- take a copy with us?

WEIR: Yes, exactly.

ZELENKA: Using McKay's compression codex, I'd say ... maybe seven, maybe eight percent.

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by Xaeden View Post
    Zelenka explained that the database is "incredibly redundant" because it has an ability to constantly back itself up. That's not a problem because the Wraith can recreate destroyed data. That's a problem because it means the data is not stored solely on a central computer that the expedition could destroy on their way out. Rather it is stored there and it stores backups throughout the city's computer systems, so one surviving piece of the city could contain backup data on ZPMs, while another contains backup data on hyperdrive engines, and so on and so forth. Thus, there remained a risk that the Wraith could find what they wanted if they went through with their initial self-destruct plan because Zelenka did not know what was backed up where and exactly what would or would not be recoverable.

The issue with them saving 7 or 8 percent of the database was that the Ancient computers are apparently built into the city and lack detachable storage drives that can be carried through the Stargate. As a result, the expedition could only save a small percentage to their own Earth-made storage devices...

WEIR: How much of it could we save?

ZELENKA: I'm sorry?

WEIR: Of the database. Now, we brought a lot of hard drives with us -- how much could we transfer to our computers?

ZELENKA: You mean, like, back it up -- take a copy with us?

WEIR: Yes, exactly.

ZELENKA: Using McKay's compression codex, I'd say ... maybe seven, maybe eight percent.
    Exactly, if the database is so redundant and exists in a bunch of backups, could they not have potentially had a small console to pack up and take with them? Sort of like, idk, store a console on the puddle jumper and take in case of emergency.

I'm not sure how Atlantis' computer systems are supposed work. I would've thought that, like with the Goa'uld, data is stored on crystals, which could easily be removed and carried, through the gate but apparently not.

Outside of the context of video games where a console refers a computer system, a console is just an interface, so while the panels that they push buttons on can be removed and carried through the gate, they probably don't store data. I really have no clue, however, why their actual data storage devices wouldn't be small, carry-able, and removable from the larger computer system. The implication of what Zelanka said is that this isn't the case, but that's... strange.

Probie

I'd expect them to be able to unplug some sort of server from the rest of the city and just wheel it through, something about the size of the Ancient repository of knowledge.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415