The Gift (118)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 9-Chevron
    THERE IS ALWAYS A BUT. The conversation about the wraith's creation dont fit the plot on episode 1 is clear that the wraith was there as they are now here is wat the lady hologram said :"Then one day our people step foot on a dark world where a terrible enemy slept. Never before had we encountered beings with powers that rivaled our own"
    saying that this enemy was already there as it is
    The easiest way to explain that is:

- Ancients seed the world with the bugs
    - The bugs evolve, master the Gate system
    - They go to a world on the outskirts of Pegasus
    - The Ancients later "set foot" upon that world

There's other possible variations, but you get the idea

Comment

Originally posted by FrankGuthrie
      Alright so far, what have we got:

- Teyla is half a Wraith
      - Sheppard is half Ancient (well ancient gene)
      - Ford is going to be a supersoldier

What is going to happen to the rest?
      Well McKay is a genius already
      Weir seems to be good with ancient and wraith languages and can become super diplomat.
      Carson...hmm.. maybe he'll get a nobel prize for his gene therapy in the future when all is revealed to the world?

Comment

That was an...interesting episode. To say the least.

Comment

I really enjoyed The Gift. There was a lot going on and real development of the general plot and characters. Thought the story and the writing were good. Not been a great fan of Teyla / RL up til now but then again I don't think the writers have given her much to get her teeth into til now. It was finally good to see some real devleopment of the character and I thought RL did ok with it.

General points / thoughts
          1) Poor Ford / RSF, still no real development. Might just be me but I thought the crack about "little? Little what...." was silly. Made him out to be some immature schoolboy. The guys an officer in the forces. I just think that he'd be a lot more mature than that so it just didn't track with how I would think an officer would be. (I'm sure there is some form of screening to weed out the undesirables/immature before they get commissioned)
          2) I loved that Weir was actually more integral to doing things in the plot ie the translation of the Wraith data. Normally shes the one asking others to do the actually work and I thought it was good that she got more involved. Have her linguistic skills ever been referred before?
          3) I think this may just be my take on it, but when Teyla attacks them in the infirmary, she seems to lash out and knock everyone else over except Weir. Weir kept backing away and it just looked to me like Teyla was actually trying to get specifically at/ to Weir.
          4) Likewise, at the end, when Teyla said "they know about you", it also seemed very specific like she was looking / talking directly at Weir. As I say, could just be me seeing something that isn't there but just my take on it. Had me wondering if there is some kind of plot twist to come - perhaps linked to Weirs time travel / ancient story line?

Just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by Blend
            To everyone about the wraith evolution.

take into account these things:

-The ancients were in the Pegasus Galaxy for A long time (Million/s of years)
            -The Wraith would have evolved as a direct result to something the ancients did (Intentionally or otherwise, we dont know yet
            -It is extremly possible that the wraith evolved while the ancients were there. Look at human evolution. It took nowhere near a million years, and the majority of our advancements have come in 100-300 years.

This clearly alot up for me, and makes all the timelines make complete sense

1. 4 Great Races
            2. Ancents Leave for Pegasus
            3. Ancients Seed Life in Pegasus
            4. Wraith evolve without Ancients Knowedge
            5. Ancients discover wraith oto late
            6. Wraith defeat the Ancients (sheer numbers)
            7. Ancients sink city
            8. Ancients return to earth 10,00 years ago

(i put the alliance beforehand because in the 5th race the asgard say the ancients moved on a millenia ago.. and if the alliance was created after they came back then he wouldnt have said that)
            I think the Alliance was before the Ancients left for Pegasus, too, but that's neither here nor there.

This episode answers one question, and raises a whole lot more. Which is good TV, if you ask me.

Just a few questions I have:

How long did the Wraith's evolution take?
            When did the Ancients get to Pegasus, and what level of evolution was humanity at when they were "seeded"?
            Did the Ancients just not notice that evolution on one world had taken a significantly different path?
            When they found out, did they initially treat the Wraith as a science project?
            How did the Wraith gain technological equality with the Ancients?
            How did the war begin, and progress?
            Were the Ancients so confident in their safety that they had no weapons, prompting an arms race that they ultimately lost?

Okay, that's a bunch of questions.

It took eighteen episodes just to get this bit of info; who knows how long TPTB will take to spoon feed us the rest of the story. Let's hope it doesn't take so long to get at least one more answer on this subject.

a time to mourn

Comment

Originally posted by DetriusXii
              Correct me if I'm wrong but why would the Wraith need the Atlantis gate specifically to dial to Earth?
              I was thinking the same thing, but perhaps the Wraith are not seeking the Atlantis Stargate itself, but rather the address of Earth. The keeper was able to determine that the planet existed but didn't appear as if she knew the exact coordinates.

Even if they have to kill everyone in Atlantis, the address for Earth is stored somewhere in the Ancient database or our own computers/PDAs. Besides, once they have the address they are likely to travel by ship.

Comment

they need the special control crystal you see in "home" without that plugged into a DHD none of the pegasus stargates can dial the Milky Way galaxy, kinda like an ancient safeguard

Comment

Am I the first to notice the cameo of Bruce Woloshyn ?
                  (the Stargate Digital Effects Superviser from Rainmaker)

I saw 'The Gift' today, and I said "Hey, I know this guy !"
                  Because I have seen him yesterday, in a featurette about the SG-1 Special Effects,
                  called "Stargate Magic : Inside the Lab", on the Lost City DVD (Region 2, Volume 37).

Comment

Originally posted by corn
                    Hello everyone,

The only way i can see this episode making sense is if the ancients left the galaxy and then returned. Otherwise why would the wraith have been asleep, unless they wiped out all their food source and needed it to be replenished. I dont think that would have been allowed to happen, after watching sanctuary.

Also, why would the wriath just let Taylas ancestors go and breed instead of just killing them if they posed sucha threat.
                    Well, we still have to see, in the future seasons, I have a feeling they are going to stumble upon the wraith cradle/home world, so to speak. Then we get to find out how wraith evolved. It could be natural, rogue-ancients, or those guys that made the human killing nano-virus. if it is the latter two, it would also explain their huge technological jump.

For your second question, it is explained, the rogue scientist believed that if the wraith/humans were able to interbreed with other humans, the psychic ability will gradually weaken. So he let them loose so he can check out their descendents. Unfortunately for him, he was caught by other wraith(and presumably cannibalized), the wraith/humans are killed, but not before a few run off.

Comment

Look...

PIGGY'S USELESS OPINION
                      of 'The Gift'

I knew it!! I knew that it would turn out the Ancients had accidentally initiated the Wraith evolution by getting their "human seeding" mixed up with the Wraith bug. I don't remember when, but I know I said I believed that to have been the case some time before we got the spoilers for this episode. Hah! It's great to be right!

I know some will say this contradicts established canon because the Ancient hologram in 'Rising' said they stumbled upon a sleeping enemy, but it doesn't. Think about it, the Ancients seeded planets probably by the hundreds. They probably just initiated human evolution, then moved on and let nature run its course... They never knew what happened on whatever particular planet this mishap took place, and then millions of years later... they stumbled upon the Wraith. Just like the hologram lady said.

Sooo... this episode was creepy. From beginning to end. And as the impending Wraith attack draws ever closer, we learn a few important things. One, what I already discussed - the Wraith evolved because of the Ancients (this, by the way, also explains why we've never been told what they fed upon before the Ancients arrived in Pegasus: Nothing, because they didn't exist). Also, their written language is based on that of the Ancients. Two, the Wraith can communicate telepathically. Okay... that's creepy, but I guess we already kind of knew that since the death of the caretaker awoke the others. Three, Teyla has parts Wraith DNA and is able to not only sense them but can also tap in to their telepathic "network"... and in doing so, become controlled by them.

And four... There is not enough human life in Pegasus to sustain the entire Wraith population, which is why they desperately need to find out where Earth and the Milky Way are. This is why they're coming to Atlantis... it's not just to feed. Looks like we may all be in big trouble soon...

Random observations!
                      - The Wraith stunner is the Atlantis version of a Zat gun.
                      - What's with the dirty look Sheppard shot Bates after he'd stunned the Wraith-posessed Teyla? Surely, that was the best course of action?
                      - Poor Ford. No one appreciates his humor. Not even me.
                      - Dr. Ego Guy appears again (Boo! Hiss!). This is his third appearance. Can he die when the Wraith come? Please? (Hey, I'm supposed to dislike him, right? And someone will probably have to die, so it might as well be him.)
                      - No new Czech dialogue for Zelenka fans this week. He did get to insult McKay, though.
                      - I wonder if the "Teyla's HOT!!" crowd will think she's hot in Wraith make-up?

An appropriately tense episode, further building towards what looks like it may be a heck of climax at the end of the season (which is obviously right around the corner now). I can't wait for next week...
                      Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                        Random observations!
                        - The Wraith stunner is the Atlantis version of a Zat gun.
                        But you can shoot several times with the Wraith stunner without killing .
                        ** Harlan's pointless word - Sorry ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Quinn Mallory
                          Is that true? I thought McKay just made that up to hide the fact that he is seeing a shrink.
                          My thoughts exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by FrankGuthrie
                            Alright so far, what have we got:

- Teyla is half a Wraith
                            - Sheppard is half Ancient (well ancient gene)
                            - Ford is going to be <snip>
                            You know, it'd be nice if you used a
                            SPOILER WARNING!
                            when talking about episodes that haven't even been shot yet!

Comment

What's with the charcoal uniform with the blue panels McKay is sporting? Maybe he wanted to look more badass like Aiden and Sheppard.
                              Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimeron
                                For your second question, it is explained, the rogue scientist believed that if the wraith/humans were able to interbreed with other humans, the psychic ability will gradually weaken. So he let them loose so he can check out their descendents. Unfortunately for him, he was caught by other wraith(and presumably cannibalized), the wraith/humans are killed, but not before a few run off.
                                I understand why he let them go. But wouldnt a more efficient way to weaken their psychic powers be to kill them before they were let go? He is a wraith after all he could have just ate them.

Comment

Working...
                                X