Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gift (118)

Chevron The Gift (118)

Visit the Episode GuideDISCUSS ...
    THE GIFT
    EPISODE NUMBER - 118

Plagued by terrifying nightmares, Teyla begins to recall a time when she and her father were captured by the Wraith and subjected to disturbing experiments.

Visit the Episode Guide >>
    Last edited by Darren; January 24th, 2007 at 06:36 PM.

Lieutenant Colonel MartoufMarty's Avatar
    "Tell me what you don't like about yourself."

Default Re: The Gift

That episode ROCKED! Teyla is my hero!

Basically...

Teyla is having bad dreams, on edge, cranky. John tells her to see the shrink. In her dreams, Teyla is being fed on by a Wraith that is herself as a Wraith.

Teyla goes to the mainland, talks to some woman who tells her of this planet where people who were taken by the Wraith came back. They could hear voices, got violent. The people on the planet either killed the 'Taken' or sent them away.

Turns out one of those that was sent away was one of Teyla's ancestors.

Teyla and the gang go to the planet, Teyla finds a little lab.

They find a data recorder, Rodney takes it back, they look it over. Weir starts doing translations.

Turns out the Wraith are from the Ancients (HA! *laughs at all the people who thought otherwise*). A cross between Ancients, and those bugs that attack John in 38 Minutes.

Anyways, it turns out a rogue Wraith was doing experiments to make people more... like the Wraith (forget exactly why) and those people could hear the Wraith because Wraith can contact each other telepathically and what-not.

Turns out Teyla can do that too. Teyla says basically, 'let's do it'.

Hypnosis! (I should write this show) The doc (Kate Whats-Her-Face) does the thing with the flashlight, Teyla can hear the Wraith, Teyla can see from a Wraith's POV in a hive ship. The Wraith feeds off someone, Weir tells the Doc to stop.

Teyla isn't happy, she's 'let's do it again'. Do it again, Teyla sees more, sees a control room, gets taken over by a Wraith who says basically, 'you're going to all die. You can't stop us.'

They wake up Teyla, Weir says no more, Teyla says she's getting close.

Bates dials in from their potential Alpha site said 'it was like the Wraith knew we were there'.

Teyla does the whole thing again, sees their route and what-not, gets taken over by a Wraith again.

Wraithed Teyla attacks everyone, starts going for Weir, Bates shoots her a couple times with a Wraith stun-gun.

Teyla found out their route, and that they want to go to Earth.

Also turns out that Wraith mutli-task. Eat and interrorgate at the same time.

Rodney and Zelenka were bickering at the beginning, they later tried to get Beckett on the chair. Turns out Rodney and Zelenka had a bet to see if Beckett was right about the Wraith being from the Ancients.

Zelenka won the bet lol.

Nice quote that made me laugh...

Weir: (about Wraith showing up in a week)... I want options.

Rodney: Besides crying ourselves to sleep... Not me. I haven't slept in days.

I felt like making a summary, okay?

Also I have to say that I LOVED b!tchy Teyla at the beginning.

Her and John were doing the whole training thing and John was kicking Teyla's ass lol.

Teyla snapped at Weir, snapped at John, and was just b!tchy from lack of sleep.

Go Teyla!

And her being taken over by a Wraith? SO COOL!

She looks kind of creepy as a Wraith...

HOLY ARSE THAT WAS COOL. Finally we get to see what Teyla is like. And Rodney has a g/f aww. Wonder how long Shep will put up with that. And Teyla as a Wraith=CREEPY.

The season finalie 2 parter is gonna be so good.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t31/ot3sig.jpg
    || McKay: Do you know how much I hate certain death? ||
    || Beckett: I'm a doctor, not a bloody fighter-pilot! ||
    || Sheppard: Don't take on an alien armada single-handedly... Understood. ||
    http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,R...white,blue.png

Quote Originally Posted by queenselqet31
    HOLY ARSE THAT WAS COOL. Finally we get to see what Teyla is like. And Rodney has a g/f aww. Wonder how long Shep will put up with that. And Teyla as a Wraith=CREEPY.

The season finalie 2 parter is gonna be so good.
    Ah, you pervy McKay/Sheppard slasher you

Completely agree.

I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE REST OF THE EPISODES!

*jumps around*

*trips*

*breaks leg*

Rodney and Zelenka are so great together. Bickering, betting lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MartoufMarty

*jumps around*

*trips*

*breaks leg*
    *sends Dr. Beckett to take care of you*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t31/ot3sig.jpg
    || McKay: Do you know how much I hate certain death? ||
    || Beckett: I'm a doctor, not a bloody fighter-pilot! ||
    || Sheppard: Don't take on an alien armada single-handedly... Understood. ||
    http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,R...white,blue.png

Chief Master Sergeant

You are so from Manitoba

Anyways its an ok episode. (not great - truthfully I was expecting last weeks episode to be the filler, but I actually think this one is it)

So what did we learn from "The Gift":

1) The Ancients were involved in the creation of the Wraith as they are now. Although it seems to have been an accident - simply an accident of bad timing and placement rather than of the "tinkering" which may have been involved.

2) Teyla has some genetic links to the wrath by means of "tinkering" by the rogue Wraith trying to find a more "efficient" means to feed

3) The Wraith do actually communicate telepathically. And Teyla can somewhat tap into their telepathic network

4) Teyla was NOT directly experimented on - her ancestors were, on their original homeworld (not althosia or whatever planet the Althosians came from). They were run out of the planet, which was later (when the Wraith realized they had been experiemented on) purged.

5) The Wraith know about Earth, and that Atlantis is the only place that can gate there.

Thats it - all the important stuff in 5 points

oohhh one more 6) The Wraith are now less than 10 days from Atlantis - they plan on several more stops prior.

Can I get a "S-I-E-G-E"!

Earth Symbol Re: The Gift

"Great Windows"...I mean, "Great Episode!"

I dont like the fact that the Wraith are a cross between Ancient & Bug. That's not fun. But Wraith pschologically connected mind is definitely cool.

Then what happens to the thing that Mela (sp?) said in the Rising Pt. 1 of how they stumbled upon an enemy...

*sends Dr. Beckett to take care of you*
    Whoohoo!

I'd break my leg anyday for him

Quote Originally Posted by TOA
    You are so from Manitoba
    Hey, what's that supposed to mean?

Quote Originally Posted by TOA
    Can I get a "S-I-E-G-E"!
    S

I

E

G

E

WHOOHOOO!

Quote Originally Posted by Calicto
    I dont like the fact that the Wraith are a cross between Ancient & Bug. That's not fun. But Wraith pschologically connected mind is definitely cool.

Then what happens to the thing that Mela (sp?) said in the Rising Pt. 1 of how they stumbled upon an enemy...
    My theory:

She said that either because:
    A: They didn't know, it was a rouge scientist.
    B: They wanted to perseve their image for postarity.
    Shep: I can't hear you threatening to suck the life out of me 'til you hit the button on the radio.

Soldier (In Russian): Are you Russian spies?
    Daniel: Niet.
    Jack: Daniel!
    Daniel: What? He asked if we were Russian spies and I said no........oh.
    -1969 (221)

Probie

Once they left the humans on the planet I dont think they went back for a long long time.

Chief Master Sergeant EyeStrain's Avatar

Are the wraiths cross between humans or ancients?

Quote Originally Posted by EyeStrain
    Are the wraiths cross between humans or ancients?
    Humans and the Bugs - Dr. Wier finds this out after translating the Wraith language; which just happens to be a derivitive of the Ancient Language.

Interesting little side note, I knew right away when Rodney brought up the information on the screen and I recognized the symbols.

This bug/human thing is reminicient of SG1's episode BANE. But that is neither here nor there.

Shoot tangent again. I digress.

Ah, now where was I?

I thought this was a good episode but not a great one. There were a lot of interesting revelations in it, but I didn’t get as emotionally drawn in as I have the past few episodes.

I liked how all the characters were quite snippy with each other. Everyone is quite freaked out by their impending doom, and it shows. I loved all the little character interactions that were going on. Something this show does amazingly well. I’ll have to watch it again before I can remember them all. And all of the supporting cast made an appearance (except Grodin, unless I missed him)

Also, I was surprised to read that some people thought that McKay was seeing Dr Heightmeier romantically. I felt for sure that he was just implying that to Teyla because he was embarrassed about needing a psychologist. I could be wrong, however. (it has been known to happen )

I am dying of anticipation for next week’s episode. It is going to be amazing!

The Ancients were in Pegasus for millions of years. They seeded the planet the Wraith came from with human life, that accidently became the Wraith and eventually the Ancients found their dark enemy sleeping.

Great episode again. Brilliant to see Kavanagh back. I just hope Zelenka and Bates make it through the next two weeks...

Haven't actually read anyone's report but I have to tell ya. I am so blown away by this episode. I didn't think that that was the case. That makes me even more into Atlantis then ever before. Can't wait to see the Season Finale's.
    Two apples get you nothing unless your buying a banana.

Second Lieutenant Quinn Mallory's Avatar

HOLY And Rodney has a g/f aww. Wonder how long Shep will put up with that.
    Is that true? I thought McKay just made that up to hide the fact that he is seeing a shrink. It wouldn't surprise me that McKay would want the shrink to be his g/f but I don't know if he is that lucky (he did save the day quite a few times on Atlantis). Also, did Weir refer to McKay as "Rod" now and has this happened before?

Anyhow, this was a solid episode, though. It definitely shows the vulnerable sides of Teyla. I also love how Weir got to do some translation and helped out in that way. I just hope that many of the recurring characters get to survive the seige.

Q
    I just love shows about wormholes!

Second Lieutenant Quinn Mallory's Avatar

The Wraith must have evolved at the outskirt of the Ancients's territory. If they were able to pick up some language maybe they also picked up some technology to accelerate their technological evolution.
    I just love shows about wormholes!

Wraith technological advance have been extremely fast : no stupid altercations like between human (or Ancients) scientists, they have an "hive spirit" which give them the Unique-Think, "yeah guys no contradictions, we must feed".

Some remarks about this episode

1) The great theme of Wise FirstBorn Few UpperHumans (Elves...) against big bad Corrupted GreatBreeding Humans (Orcs, Gobelins...)...

1bis) Wraith are definitely Mordocs...

2) The Wraith stuff became "rationnaly cheap" : now we have a "cheap" explanation for vampire-like humanoďds who cant feed like us and have useless teeths... Maybe the bugs had appeared in Pegasus when the Ancients seeded "basis life" with their machine (hard to explain, my English is to week) : i think the aspirating-life process is too complicated to appear spontaneously, and the bug must have Earth cells because they had DNA. It must be a long-time interaction between life-related technology (Fontain of Youth, Life seeding machine...) and usual Evolution of species...

3) The Telepathical link : sounds like the Replicator one. It's very strange to see a human brain generate enough power to etablish a subspace long range communication... If only Zelenka or other scientist isolates frequency, they could build a noise machine to annoy the Wraith (sending Britney Spears in loops on the Network lol).

4) Rogue Wraith? What the f****! I believed Wraiths were without individualism!
    GOA'ULD: Who are you?
    WRAITH: I am your death!
    GOA'ULD: Don't believe so... I am your God!
    WRAITH: What is a god? Is it eatable?
    GOA'ULD: O_o

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast