Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gift (118)

Second Lieutenant

Default Re: The Gift

Quote Originally Posted by DetriusXii
    Correct me if I'm wrong but why would the Wraith need the Atlantis gate specifically to dial to Earth?
    I was thinking the same thing, but perhaps the Wraith are not seeking the Atlantis Stargate itself, but rather the address of Earth. The keeper was able to determine that the planet existed but didn't appear as if she knew the exact coordinates.

Even if they have to kill everyone in Atlantis, the address for Earth is stored somewhere in the Ancient database or our own computers/PDAs. Besides, once they have the address they are likely to travel by ship.

they need the special control crystal you see in "home" without that plugged into a DHD none of the pegasus stargates can dial the Milky Way galaxy, kinda like an ancient safeguard

Am I the first to notice the cameo of Bruce Woloshyn ?
    (the Stargate Digital Effects Superviser from Rainmaker)

I saw 'The Gift' today, and I said "Hey, I know this guy !"
    Because I have seen him yesterday, in a featurette about the SG-1 Special Effects,
    called "Stargate Magic : Inside the Lab", on the Lost City DVD (Region 2, Volume 37).

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by corn
    Hello everyone,

The only way i can see this episode making sense is if the ancients left the galaxy and then returned. Otherwise why would the wraith have been asleep, unless they wiped out all their food source and needed it to be replenished. I dont think that would have been allowed to happen, after watching sanctuary.

Also, why would the wriath just let Taylas ancestors go and breed instead of just killing them if they posed sucha threat.
    Well, we still have to see, in the future seasons, I have a feeling they are going to stumble upon the wraith cradle/home world, so to speak. Then we get to find out how wraith evolved. It could be natural, rogue-ancients, or those guys that made the human killing nano-virus. if it is the latter two, it would also explain their huge technological jump.

For your second question, it is explained, the rogue scientist believed that if the wraith/humans were able to interbreed with other humans, the psychic ability will gradually weaken. So he let them loose so he can check out their descendents. Unfortunately for him, he was caught by other wraith(and presumably cannibalized), the wraith/humans are killed, but not before a few run off.

Look...

PIGGY'S USELESS OPINION
    of 'The Gift'

I knew it!! I knew that it would turn out the Ancients had accidentally initiated the Wraith evolution by getting their "human seeding" mixed up with the Wraith bug. I don't remember when, but I know I said I believed that to have been the case some time before we got the spoilers for this episode. Hah! It's great to be right!

I know some will say this contradicts established canon because the Ancient hologram in 'Rising' said they stumbled upon a sleeping enemy, but it doesn't. Think about it, the Ancients seeded planets probably by the hundreds. They probably just initiated human evolution, then moved on and let nature run its course... They never knew what happened on whatever particular planet this mishap took place, and then millions of years later... they stumbled upon the Wraith. Just like the hologram lady said.

Sooo... this episode was creepy. From beginning to end. And as the impending Wraith attack draws ever closer, we learn a few important things. One, what I already discussed - the Wraith evolved because of the Ancients (this, by the way, also explains why we've never been told what they fed upon before the Ancients arrived in Pegasus: Nothing, because they didn't exist). Also, their written language is based on that of the Ancients. Two, the Wraith can communicate telepathically. Okay... that's creepy, but I guess we already kind of knew that since the death of the caretaker awoke the others. Three, Teyla has parts Wraith DNA and is able to not only sense them but can also tap in to their telepathic "network"... and in doing so, become controlled by them.

And four... There is not enough human life in Pegasus to sustain the entire Wraith population, which is why they desperately need to find out where Earth and the Milky Way are. This is why they're coming to Atlantis... it's not just to feed. Looks like we may all be in big trouble soon...

Random observations!
    - The Wraith stunner is the Atlantis version of a Zat gun.
    - What's with the dirty look Sheppard shot Bates after he'd stunned the Wraith-posessed Teyla? Surely, that was the best course of action?
    - Poor Ford. No one appreciates his humor. Not even me.
    - Dr. Ego Guy appears again (Boo! Hiss!). This is his third appearance. Can he die when the Wraith come? Please? (Hey, I'm supposed to dislike him, right? And someone will probably have to die, so it might as well be him.)
    - No new Czech dialogue for Zelenka fans this week. He did get to insult McKay, though.
    - I wonder if the "Teyla's HOT!!" crowd will think she's hot in Wraith make-up?

An appropriately tense episode, further building towards what looks like it may be a heck of climax at the end of the season (which is obviously right around the corner now). I can't wait for next week...

Quote Originally Posted by Ugly Pig
    Random observations!
    - The Wraith stunner is the Atlantis version of a Zat gun.
    But you can shoot several times with the Wraith stunner without killing .
    ** Harlan's pointless word - Sorry ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn Mallory
    Is that true? I thought McKay just made that up to hide the fact that he is seeing a shrink.
    My thoughts exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by FrankGuthrie
    Alright so far, what have we got:

- Teyla is half a Wraith
    - Sheppard is half Ancient (well ancient gene)
    - Ford is going to be <snip>
    You know, it'd be nice if you used a
    SPOILER WARNING!
    when talking about episodes that haven't even been shot yet!

Earth Symbol Re: The Gift

What's with the charcoal uniform with the blue panels McKay is sporting? Maybe he wanted to look more badass like Aiden and Sheppard.

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by Dimeron
    For your second question, it is explained, the rogue scientist believed that if the wraith/humans were able to interbreed with other humans, the psychic ability will gradually weaken. So he let them loose so he can check out their descendents. Unfortunately for him, he was caught by other wraith(and presumably cannibalized), the wraith/humans are killed, but not before a few run off.
    I understand why he let them go. But wouldnt a more efficient way to weaken their psychic powers be to kill them before they were let go? He is a wraith after all he could have just ate them.

I really liked how they incorporated that bit about Earth into this ep.

Like Stargate Agent says, most of these eps suffer from budget depletion, but an interesting psychological plot and good acting more than makes up for it!

"You are all so pitiful..."

It never ceases to amaze me that the creators conjured up a race as cocky as the Goa'uld.

What we learned from this episdoe:
    If you're going to use an inter-galactic series of teleportation device to transplant humans in another galaxy, it may be a good idea to scope out the general native inhabitants before doing so.

Chief Master Sergeant Im_just_guessing's Avatar

I originally did not like Atlantis at all, but thought maybe it would get better over time, and in the last couple of episodes, it seemed to be getting better.

And then this thing came along...does anyone else thinks this episode is right down there with "Hide and Seek"?

Chief Master Sergeant Stargate Agent's Avatar

In regards to how first seasons go for most shows Atlantis is having a great year.
    I have seen Battlestar Gallaticas first season and it stinks, the first episode was great but it was all downhill from there.

The Gift wasn't like Hide and Seek. I can see you your saying tho because Hide and Seek was after Rising which took a lot of money so Hide and Seek would suffer slightly and The Gift is right before the Seige...

In regards to the Wraith not knowing the Earth address. I wouldn't think they would need to goto Atlantis actually get to earth. I mean come on they have hyperspace capable ships. Prometheus was gonna goto Atlantis through space in Prometheus Unbound although someting else came up...

The wraith just need earth's address...
    5 days till the Seige OOOOOOOOOO YEAAAAAH
    Lt. Ford to Dr Zelenka: "Is this some sort of payback for me beating up guys like you in high school?"
    - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Hot Zone

Dr. Beckett: "...Mom...I miss you terribly...*breaks down*...I can't do this!"
    - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Letters from Pegasus

Sen. Kinsey: "Do you trust this man?"
    Col. Jack O'Neill: "...No..."
    Mayboune: *shrugs*
    - Stargate SG-1 - Chain Reaction

Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis I love science fiction

Captain Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman's Avatar

I'm glad we got a Teyla episode. Too bad there wasn't enough about her or that RL was a bit blander than she should have been. We get to know a little more about her but not yet enough to actually like her or get to know her personality better.
    May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Quote Originally Posted by Smegger
    Just a little thing I noticed about the nightmares,
    Spoiler:
    the Wraith in Teyla's nightmare is infact the Wraith that infiltrates Atlantis in The Siege.
    I think that's the standard Wraith actor. Same guy who played the Wraith in the Defiant One and Poisoning the Well.

Staff Sergeant

I understand why he let them go. But wouldnt a more efficient way to weaken their psychic powers be to kill them before they were let go? He is a wraith after all he could have just ate them.

I would imagine, as a rogue, he would need to do things quietly, and his resources are probably limited as well. So he might not had the resource available or artificially create their descendents or block out their psychic abilities.

And eating his experimental subjects are kinda counter productive, no?

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by Dimeron
    I would imagine, as a rogue, he would need to do things quietly, and his resources are probably limited as well. So he might not had the resource available or artificially create their descendents or block out their psychic abilities.

And eating his experimental subjects are kinda counter productive, no?
    It was a failed experiment. Nothing productive was still to come out of it. The intention of letting them go is that it was hoped they would breed out there mutation and become like everyone else. Also, he was trying to hide the experiment, what better way is there to hide something tahn to destroy it.

An illuminating episode if not a tad creepy...
    A connection between the Ancients and the Wraith... finally some substance to a lot of theorizing. Certainly leaves the door wide open for a lot more theorizing. "Flawed Ancients" are definitely a lot more interesting than "all powerful Ancients". Nice explanation of why some Athosians (including Teyla) can sense the Wraith... Interesting too that there are lots of rogue scientists roaming around the galaxies conducting Mengele type experiments.

A nice Ford/Teyla moment... brief though it was... just realized that they don't get too many moments interacting with each other.

Some really good Weir moments too. She does look less jaded with a thicker application of eyeliner... it softens the iron maiden facade too. I'm glad they finally used her linguistic abilities... she's been too busy putting out fires (figuratively) from the word "go".

I'm with Capt Chris regarding Teyla... the girls just doesn't do anything for me still. Maybe she never will... maybe she just needs a hair cut...

Sheppard's looking good with those sticks... he's no Jet Li but it'll do... There's a darkside to the Major emerging... could be very interesting.

The control chair... yes, yes, yes... very suggestive of things to come, won't you say? Exciting times ahead... *now wondering if we'll have a end of season cliffhanger*
    Who in Atlantis is Dr Kusanagi... the cute Japanese girl from the previous episode?? Obviously he or she has the ancient gene...

Atlantis is just full of surprises...
    Last edited by Easter Lily; January 19th, 2005 at 09:10 PM.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

The intention of letting them go is that it was hoped they would breed out there mutation and become like everyone else. Also, he was trying to hide the experiment, what better way is there to hide something tahn to destroy it.
    That's what the show said, and I know we'll never come back to this, but still... isn't that a little humane for a Wraith? I would've just sucked 'em down, problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Positively Kanyon
    The Ancients could have lied... to cover their own asses cause they screwed up?
    LOL

If the producer come with that excuse it will suck

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast