Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gift (118)

Default Re: The Gift

That was a great episode! Plenty of character development for Teyla and also provided a lot of information on the background of the Wraith.

I really liked that episode. Teyla got to do a lot, Weir got to do a lot, infact everyone got to do alot ('cept Ford, as usual). Lots of stuff going on, and the feeling of dread that's been rising (no pun intended) since The Brotherhood is reaching its peak. Almost makes me want to watch The Siege before watching Mobius Part.

Also, Dr. Heightmyer is hot. We must see her again.

BYE
    "Your Star burns! I require frozen treats!" - Tycho Brahe

"I don't like even!" - Acastus Kolya, 1X10 'The Storm'

Hmm...the genetics and biology of the episode is a little suspect. Not to mention dubious. But i suppose having watched shows like Dark Angel and X-men, we can suspend our disbelief and take at face value that combining genetic elements of different species gives the recipient some of their characteristics. What I'm kinda interested in is the time-line surrounding the evolution of the Wraith. Now, with all the conflicting suppositions as to when the Ancients flew off from Earth, and when they actually arrived in the Pegasus, to the time they started seeding human life (note, while they may be similar, my strong convictions are that the genetics and biology of humans and ancients are still very different despite sharing a large percentage of similarities...even chimps have only a 0.1% difference in genetic composition from us, but look at the physiological and social difference).

I thought it was an interesting episode, but i suppose it'll make more sense in season 2 of Atlantis.
    McKAY: Well, you wouldn’t know that from this, would you? This might as well say, “Bing tiddle tiddle bong.” It’s complete gibberish!

Chevron Re: The Gift

Quote Originally Posted by MartoufMarty

Turns out the Wraith are from the Ancients (HA! *laughs at all the people who thought otherwise*). A cross between Ancients, and those bugs that attack John in 38 Minutes.
    Hmm could the clingon( ) have been trying to turn Sheppard into a wraith, or was it just feeding on him? Could be something for the writers to look in to when they run out of ideas, if that ever happens.
    http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...neous/SNs4.jpg
    The Brane: Bringing the evil, freaking people out, taking their sanity since 2005

Lieutenant Colonel MartoufMarty's Avatar
    "Tell me what you don't like about yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by Angelique
    Hmm could the clingon( ) have been trying to turn Sheppard into a wraith, or was it just feeding on him? Could be something for the writers to look in to when they run out of ideas, if that ever happens.
    Ha ha... ha ha ha

Probably just trying to eat him.

Probably that Wraith that showed up didn't shoot it because it was his first cousin twice removed on his mother's side. He just couldn't kill family

I just watched the bit again where Teyla goes to Dr. Heightmeyer and meets McKay there and he says, "We're seeing each other". English is not my first language, but doesn't "seeing each other" mean "romantically involved"? Or at least "dating"?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../torrisig2.jpg
    In a world that seems to be increasing in conformity
    it's harder and harder to be who you wanna be
    It takes a lot of courage to stand up and get what you need
    And lots of us are happy in a different kind of family

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeGirl
    I just watched the bit again where Teyla goes to Dr. Heightmeyer and meets McKay there and he says, "We're seeing each other". English is not my first language, but doesn't "seeing each other" mean "romantically involved"? Or at least "dating"?
    Yup! And that's what made it funny

Speaking of funny...

I loved it when Ford was saying: "a little what? You have a little what?" The look Shep gave him was priceless.
    Fugly Space Babes: Spork one for Weir!
    Hussy of Babylon ~ Member of UHM

Oh, so you think McKay just pretended to be dating Heightmeyer when he really had an appointment? Hee! A very McKay thing to do. And now that you mention it, when he said, "Don't tell anyone", it looked like he was pointing at Kate too. Hmmmm.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../torrisig2.jpg
    In a world that seems to be increasing in conformity
    it's harder and harder to be who you wanna be
    It takes a lot of courage to stand up and get what you need
    And lots of us are happy in a different kind of family

Yes, it does. if he were seeing her, that would indicate more a professional relationship..

yay! go McKay!

Second Lieutenant Quinn Mallory's Avatar

Yeah, that would mean that they are "romantically involved" but I still think McKay was just trying to hide the fact that he is getting therapy (either b/c he has the sleep deprivation problem and/or the hots for the pyschologist...probably both). The facial expressions of that scene and the lack of interaction between McKay and Dr. Heitmeyer are dead give aways.
    I just love shows about wormholes!

Alright besides that this was a great storyline we got some good moments.

1. Ford making fun of McKay, but being told to stop by Shepperd. In which Ford responds something like, "So it's alright if you guys make fun of me?"

2. Bates being the stone faced soldier he is puts the possessed Teyla down without hesitation.

3. McKay forgetting which way he's going after Teyla finds out he's dating the shrink.

4. That ******* in the pony tail trying to upstage Weir again. I swear, I want to see either Shepperd or Ford deck him before the Season is out.

As for the origins of the Wraith and Teyla's powers, that was very well done. A lot of exposition, but it beats flashing back.

I'm starting to think that the Wraith are not the threat the Ancients spoke of. I think they were created by the threat, spliced using human DNA and that of those bugs....

It would seem the Wraith are to the Ancients what the Replicators are to the Asgard... an accidental nemesis that they've unwittingly helped advance. Let's hope our Tau'ri counterparts in Pegasus don't do what we did for the Replicators: make them far worse.

-IMF
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

Probie

Just a little thing I noticed about the nightmares,
    Spoiler:
    the Wraith in Teyla's nightmare is infact the Wraith that infiltrates Atlantis in The Siege.

I have yet to see the ep, but I swear... If the ancient humans really did make the Wraith, I'm going to stop watching because that is too absurdly stupid.

Second Lieutenant Buzz Lightyear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aschen
    I have yet to see the ep, but I swear... If the ancient humans really did make the Wraith, I'm going to stop watching because that is too absurdly stupid.
    Two points:

1. No one has said the Ancients MADE the Wraith. As our information now stands, the Wraith would appear to be an accidental evolution of bug and human.

2. You have yet to see the episode, so making conclusions about something you haven't seen would be illogical. And being upset at these conclusions would be even more illogical.
    To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

I'm very unhappy with the way it's all going. The Siege better be FREAKING good to make up for this piece of crap "plot twist".

Second Lieutenant Buzz Lightyear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzcoatl
    I'm very unhappy with the way it's all going. The Siege better be FREAKING good to make up for this piece of crap "plot twist".
    Care to share what you didn't like about the "plot twist" and why?
    To Infinity And Beyond!

O'Neill: "Do we know this... shrub?"

I guess he has some of the same points I do:

How did they manage to reach a level of technology that was able to defeat the 50 Million years old Ancients?

How did the Ancients manage to not detect the Wraith while they were: Building their vast armada, reproducing like bunnies among other things.

It's unlikely that a race that built a transportation network in two galaxies forgot how to monitor their own science project with the help of observer drones.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Lightyear
    Care to share what you didn't like about the "plot twist" and why?
    Let's see... I don't like the way the plot twisted.

I'd much prefer it if the Wraith were native to Pegasus, and pre-dated the Ancients by millions of years, and they somehow tied into mythology.

Quote Originally Posted by aAnubiSs
    I guess he has some of the same points I do:

How did they manage to reach a level of technology that was able to defeat the 50 Million years old Ancients?

How did the Ancients manage to not detect the Wraith while they were: Building their vast armada, reproducing like bunnies among other things.

It's unlikely that a race that built a transportation network in two galaxies forgot how to monitor their own science project with the help of observer drones.

the simple answer based on past episodes is that the wrait learn very fast. If I could find detailed information on using the spoiler tag I'd include details but the chain of hints leading up to this episode is 38 minutes, and The Defiant One. Odds are the wraith had been developing their own technology for a while and the ancients had grown content with their own and it didn't advance much. The ancients were probably there for a few million years before the bugs became the wraith or whatever happened. Think about what real humans on earth have done here in the thousands of years we've been advancing. You could do a heck of a lot in just a million years. Plus the stargates would have given them faster access to technology. The more odd thing is that all their tech is organic. I wonder how they they... grow it?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast