Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Thread: The Gift (118)

Air Force Chief of Staff Falcon Horus's Avatar

Default Re: The Gift (118)

Quote Originally Posted by hlndncr View Post
    My biggest complaint about this episode is the pointless inclusion of yet another secondary (tertiary even) character, Dr. Heightmeyer.
    If that's the only thing wrong with this episode, then it was a pretty good one I imagine... Still I'm glad they introduced Kate, added an extra dimension to whom is part of the expedition. I sense a little hostility towards the character here so you should be okay to know she's only going to bother you for 5 episodes.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum
    Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 9 of SG-1
    First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

My own mad world...with a malfunctioning Stargate

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    If that's the only thing wrong with this episode, then it was a pretty good one I imagine... Still I'm glad they introduced Kate, added an extra dimension to whom is part of the expedition. I sense a little hostility towards the character here so you should be okay to know she's only going to bother you for 5 episodes.
    It's not really hostility. I just find the character really bland and that it takes away from the opportunity to deepen the relationships between our main characters, which certainly doesn't get enough attention IMO.
    Last edited by hlndncr; June 30th, 2012 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hlndncr View Post
    It's not really hostility. I just find the character really bland and that takes away from the opportunity to deepen the relationships between are main characters, which certainly doesn't get enough attention IMO.
    Quite the opposite exactly. Weir may be a leader but I doubt she would be able to challenge the psych more then Kate would; I found her to be a decently acted character with some personality and while it would of been more logical to have her converse with Weir, I don't think it would have the same effect imo.
    Back from the grave.

My own mad world...with a malfunctioning Stargate

Quote Originally Posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
    Quite the opposite exactly. Weir may be a leader but I doubt she would be able to challenge the psych more then Kate would; I found her to be a decently acted character with some personality and while it would of been more logical to have her converse with Weir, I don't think it would have the same effect imo.
    I don't fault the actress. She was fine. But I think the massive numbers of secondary characters and hours of screen time given to them leaves the main characters rather flat. I don't mind filling out the universe, but a first season especially should give us the chance to really get to know our main characters. I think Ford for example suffered from this. But it also hurt the team feel. They just didn't depend on one another. In SG-1 the team would have confided and talked things through with one another. They might have spoken with Janet too. But you would never see them making appointments with say Dr. MacKenzie--not voluntarily anyway.

This is a good episode because not only does it focus on Teyla as a person but it expands on the Wraith as a people. I liked how the episode explored who Teyla was and her history. She had largley been a mystery before this episode so I liked the exploring of Teyla and discovering more about Teyla's ability to detect Wraith. What really interested me is that the episode was not just about Teyla it also brought more insight into who the Wraith are as a people and who they came to the situation as they are. I really did not care for the big reveal that the Wraith are coming for Earth. That was kind of already known in my frame of mind
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

This episode containts one of my favorite McKay moments:

"Now what was that we were supposed to all remember? It was something important ... uh, oh yes, that's right -- the Alamo! "

So funny and yet so appropriate for the gravity of their situation

Air Force Chief of Staff mrscopterdoc's Avatar

I like Teyla, and I like the wraith, but this episode really just didn't do anything for me.

Holy jump scares! I know SGA is the creepy show, but I wasn't expecting to react like I did multiple times in this ep to seeing John "dead" and Teyla as a wraith. Oy.
    rest easy now

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

But Kate didn't scare you, did she?

First time watching Star Trek: The Adventures of Captain Kirk and his Trusted Sidekick, Mr. Spock

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    But Kate didn't scare you, did she?

Are you kidding? She was terrifying.

Kate was great. I admit I don't remember her from my first time watching, but I like that they had a psychologist at the base. She definitely should have lasted; she would have provided some good opportunities to explore the characters' traumas, anxieties, and general emotional development in a way that is largely absent from both SG-1 and SGA.

But, of course, that would be the understatement of the year to you.
    rest easy now

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Quote Originally Posted by Janet Fraiser View Post
    Kate was great. I admit I don't remember her from my first time watching, but I like that they had a psychologist at the base. She definitely should have lasted; she would have provided some good opportunities to explore the characters' traumas, anxieties, and general emotional development in a way that is largely absent from both SG-1 and SGA.

But, of course, that would be the understatement of the year to you.
    Nah...

Major General

Personally, i also would have loved to see more exposition with Katie.. But like you said, we never really got into the psycho-analyzing that these people should have been having consistently with what they went through time after time..

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112