• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before I Sleep (115)

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE ATLANTIS - SEASON ONE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 115

A woman is found in suspended animation in Atlantis, and the team is shocked to see that it is Dr. Weir herself, who tells them of her trip 10,000 years into the city's past.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 04 February 2021, 08:41 PM.

Alright, so Before I Sleep was one of the better episodes in getting to know a tad more about the ancients, why there isn't a timeship in Atlantis, possibly why there is a timeship in SG-1's "Moebius" and other such tidbits.

Let's just say that SG:A breaks the linear rule of time travel this time around, going into the "multiverse" theory associated with the events of choice in each eventual universe.
    Enter my game site...

Comment

So, speaking for those of us on bad connections that can't see this for a month or two... summery anyone?

Comment

Sheppard goes out to Dr. Weir standing outside, while she asks why he's here and not exploring the city, he presents her with a pot the Athosians made and wishes her Happy Birthday. Sheppard then leaves to go explore.
        Sheppard is now exploring the city with his team (minus McKay), with McKay being his usually pestering self on the radio. Ford stumbles upon a room with red dimed lights and alerts the Major, who then tells McKay to shut up and goes in. He then alerts Dr. Weir that she needs to see who they've discovered...
        When Weir arrives, everyone debates on whether they should revive her, since the physiology of this presumed Ancient is comparable to a hundred year old human. McKay then explains that the stasis that the woman is in only slows down age to a near standstill, although that crawl DOES take it's toll over 10 THOUSAND years. Weir then takes a risk in ordering the revival of this woman, taking all responsibility.

Now, the woman has been taken out of the stasis cell, she slowly wakes up, opening her eyes, yet barely talking. A note is found in her sleeve with 5 gate adresses, most of which were already visited before. McKay wonders what they're for, but now the woman starts to speak, then falls asleep.

Beckett now contacts Weir and tells her that the woman was slipping in and out of consciousness, but it is urgent that Weir see this woman, she seems to know "things".
        The woman is now awake and Dr. Weir greets her, along with McKay there. The woman now says how nice it is to see everyone again, that it's been so long... She then explains that she is Dr. Weir, then after a few more words explaining the beginnings of what happened, she falls asleep.

After a debate with Carson about if any stimulant would work to keep her awake a bit longer each time, Weir convinces him to administer the stimulant in order to talk to the old Dr. Weir. Once Old Weir awake, current Dr. Weir (this will get annoying) arrives with a wheelchair and offers a tour of the city's main control room and gate area. Then they go to the conference room and Old Weir starts explaining what happened "the first time". FLASHBACK: They found the city, with nearly drained power and failing shields. At this time, they start exploring, with all of the controls offline and unresponsive. They then learn that the city is starting to flood, and then Dr. Weir orders Colonel Sumner who is exploring to get back to the gate room. After an eerie sound, Sumner's radio transmits him and his exploration team screaming, only to be crushed by the sea... He dies there. Then, everyone else is stuck between air-tight bulkheads, but they're breached and quickly flooding, everyone outside the gate room and ship room are killed. Now McKay, Weir, Grodin, Zelenka, Beckett, Ford and Sheppard are known to still be alive. It's then that the gate room starts flooding, and McKay starts frantically looking for a way to get the jumper bay doors open. When he sees the water rise, he keeps trying. END FLASHBACK. McKay comments on how he tried helping until death... Overwhelmed with knowing what he would have done had the city not risen from the sea, he ponders it.... FLASHBACK: Sheppard, Weir and Zelenka are in a 6th PJ, which seems to have a device in the center. This device is unlike any other. The room starts to flood, Ford and Beckett drown. Sheppard, who sealed the doors in time, takes the controls, not knowing what he's doing. He hits one control and in a flash the PJ is in space. Only... They're being fired upon! END FLASHBACK. Old Weir faints...

Old Weir wakes up again, in order to continue her story. FLASHBACK: Sheppard tries to find a way to shoot back at whatever is shooting at them, he finds how to shoot once, then they PJ is hit twice before Dr. Weir blanks out. She wakes up beside Janus, who explains that Weir is the only one left alive, and that she's been healed of all wounds. She is then taken before the Ancient Council, where Janus and Weir are shunned from suggesting ANY type of way to control what happens 10 thousand years later. They both leave and later on talk to one of the counil members (Hologram Lady!! Forgot what Janus calls her, but she has a NAME!). She then reluctantly stands by her council-mates and says how she cannot help. It's then that Janus starts working behind the Council's back and creates failsafes. The 3 ZPMs are to be rotated instead of used in parallel, there is a failsafe that makes the city rise in the event the city's shield fails, there is a sensor-connection that wakes up Dr. Weir when her expedition goes through... And then word of the last thing keeping the Ancients in Atlantis arrives... A transport ship with 300 people on it is under attack. Janus tries to suggest boosting the shields with Auxiliary power, but there's no effect. The sensors detect that the ancient ship is overwhelmed by the Wraith and now the Ancients begin evacuation. Janus explains that someone MUST stay behind to rotate the ZPMs, so he instructs Dr. Weir in how to do it. It's then that Weir hides and watches Janus take his entire timeship research with him, hidden in his backpack, to Earth. (Eep! Reference to something familiar!!) Dr. Weir then spends 3.3 thousand years between rotations, only to come back to square one. END FINAL FLASHBACK.

Old Weir then asks Dr. Weir if McKay figued out what the note was... She then explains that the five adresses are outposts where ZPMs are located. Dr. Weir then wakes up McKay and tells him this, who freaks out and starts conversing along with her and Sheppard about it. At this time, Old Weir finally passes away...

Sheppard goes out to meet Dr. Weir, who has just finished scattering what seems to be the remains of her older self. Sheppard says he's going to the briefing, Weir says she'll be there now. She pauses, then asks Sheppard if she could have a minute before going...

END
        Enter my game site...

Comment

Alright, now this episode has massive foreshadowing for SG-1, too.
          Spoiler:
          In Moebius, they find a Puddle Jumper with time travel capabilities. Thing is, Janus modified a PJ in Atlantis, then the storyline of "Before I Sleep" happens, then Janus leaves WITH HIS RESEARCH!!! Let's just say that if this has nothing to do with Moebius, I'm going to be shocked.
          Enter my game site...

Comment

partial summary
            Apparently the Atlantis expedition we see is the second time it has happened. The first time they went to Atlantis, the systems were failing due to a power failure. Weir got on a timeship and went back to the past Atlantis. The council at Atlantis found out about the illegal time experiments so they destroyed the "original" timeship. Weir got some help with an ancient so that there is a "failsafe" system that will allow atlantis to float in the second timeline. Weir also had to stay to rotate the ZPMs so that there will be enough power in the future. Ten thousand years later, she wakes in Atlantis to see the gang. Then she explained the story and also provided some gate addresses to possible ZPM places.

Sorry for the poor summary
            Secret LUELinks Agent!
            …………………………………………………. __ . __
            ……………………………………………….../’`: : `\,---`.„
            ………………………………………………../|,-‘`¯¯`\(o)_\,----,,,_
            ………………„~*¯¯`”\,………... _„_………( `\(o),,_/` ¯ : o : : : o`-,
            ……………../ : •: (“,.~;*’¯¯¯”\, (_,-- ``”~,….\ : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : `\
            ………….....| : • :,/`,-*~;~••-„,/ (‘` ``)/• ,…\.,/` : : :_„„,: : : : : : : : : : : \
            …………….| : • / ,/`,--\ \’`c\,---„1 ‹’`--(_ ,/ / : : :,/` • • ): : : : : : : : : : : |
            ……………..) : µ’` .\ (c) `¯ . . •`), . ,-~`.. \ : : :| • • '”\, : : : : : : : : : : :/
            ……………/` ,/_~-, .`;;`„-„,__,./, ```/……. `\: :\ • • • • `*-.,_ : : : : : :,-‘
            ……………`-/¨;--;~’ `”*-=,=-_`” ,) ,/`……….`› : `\, • • • • • • ¯”~---,--`
            …„„………__\, • ‘, • . . . `\„_,/ ,/;-;_ ……. /` ` | ./ • • • • • • • • „-“
            .( :•`\,-~*`¯ • • •`¯` `~--~*~---~;/`,-~*```*--, `1` / : | • • • ,---~*”`
            . \•:••:”*~-,,„„____„„,.-~”`¯¯¯¯/ / • • • • • ‘\,) , / : :| • • • •\
            …`”’~-,„„„„„„,,~‘`` . ( • • • ,.__| | • • • •, `\„„/ ,/`: : / • • • • •|

Comment

Xerxus, you get some green for having condensed what I could not.

And did anyone catch the Hologram Lady's name this time around? It's said right after Janus says "I may know of someone who can help".
              Enter my game site...

Comment

All I have to say is.

Wow. That's probably the most original take on time travel I've heard from a television show.

Comment

I'm not giving a summary... But, I guess sort of.

People watched around, people talked, Sheppard, Ford, and a couple other people found the 10,000 year old Dr. Weir (who was in stasis). They woke her up, found out it was Elizabeth, she began to tell the story of what happened.

Turns out Rodney died heroicly in the other reality (where the power wasn't really on, the shield was crap, and the city didn't float). Well, actually, they all drowned (except for Weir, Sheppard, and Dr. Zelanka). Those three were in this special puddle jumper, pressed some buttons, ended up over the planet being attacked by Wraith ships.

Story goes on, they talk, and talk. Dr. Weir (back 10,000 years ago having accidently gone back in time) wakes up, and this Ancient guy (Janus who is my hero now) is there, they explain what happens. This Janus guy made the 'time ship', or to be more exactly was making it at the time.

They go before the Ancient counsil, this pissy guy says no to Weir's idea of 'send me back with a ZPM'. Janus (of course) helps her out, comes up with this plan, created the fail safe (that made the city rise when power ran out) and also the idea of switching between ZPMs every 3333.33 years so the power would last long enough for them to get there. All the Ancients left to Earth because the Wraith were kicking their asses.

Weir goes into stasis with the time thing to wake her up so she can change the ZPMs around.

Janus takes his time travel research with him, and I guess Janus makes another time ship on EARTH, thus explaining the whole Mobieus thing going on there.

During the story the Dr. Weir is dying. She's not in good shape. It cuts in every now and then, she passes out, has a stroke, yadda yadda, not gonna last the time.

And then after telling the story and telling them that this note she had with her (when she first was takin' out of the stasis thingy) had gate addresses that had known ZPMs on them, and then she died.

And then at the end this current time Dr. Weir tosses her ashes over the balcony.

It was funny after Rodney found out he died (trying to get power, he was in the control room when it all got flooded) and Sheppard found out that he died, Rodney was boasting on about how heroic he was. It was funny.

Oh, and another funny part I loved was when they first took Dr. Weir out of stasis. She wasn't reponding to them talking or anything so Rodney waves his hand in front of her face.

"Just what I thought. Freezer Burn."

... So I guess that was a summary

Damn. People beat me to it...

READ MY VERSION! IT'S BETTER!

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                  Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

I personally liked the episode quite a bit...

Some stuff we learn about the war with the Wraith:

a) The Ancients tried to parley with the Wraith, sending a convoy of their most powerful warships, but were destroyed.

b) The Ancient transports held around 300 people each, but all were destroyed in an attempt to run the Wraith blockade (which explains why only 5 puddle jumpers and no larger ships remained in the Atlantean docking bays).

c) The Ancients were indeed outnumbered by the Wraith, and although their ships could win one-on-one, they were unable to defeat the Wraith's superior numbers (which seems to have been the consensus so far).

Weir development: Old Weir tells young Weir to take in every moment, maybe the beginning of a change in her attitude as leader?

Comment

Did I happen to mention how Shep/Weir shippers may LOVE this episode's beginning?

Sheppard going through all that trouble to find out her birthday... Must mean SOMETHING.
                      Enter my game site...

Comment

MartoufMarty, I spent over 45 minutes writing mine...

That's practically the time it took you to watch the show ^_^
                        Enter my game site...

Comment

Ha! Mine was better and didn't take so long!

... I missed the beginning (sorry everyone...) It's not my fault. My parents were watching Trading Spouses. It ended, they switched the channel, and it had started! *******s...

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                          Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Originally posted by Blueicus
                            I personally liked the episode quite a bit...

Some stuff we learn about the war with the Wraith:

a) The Ancients tried to parley with the Wraith, sending a convoy of their most powerful warships, but were destroyed.

b) The Ancient transports held around 300 people each, but all were destroyed in an attempt to run the Wraith blockade (which explains why only 5 puddle jumpers and no larger ships remained in the Atlantean docking bays).

c) The Ancients were indeed outnumbered by the Wraith, and although their ships could win one-on-one, they were unable to defeat the Wraith's superior numbers (which seems to have been the consensus so far).

Weir development: Old Weir tells young Weir to take in every moment, maybe the beginning of a change in her attitude as leader?
                            We also learn that the Ancients may have left schematics for their Warships in the Ancient database, that the adress for Earth was intentionally erased, and that they have 5 outposts with ZPMs.
                            Spoiler:
                            --> The ZPMs are what leads to the "Brotherhood" episode, BTW.
                            Enter my game site...

Comment

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
                              Ha! Mine was better and didn't take so long!

... I missed the beginning (sorry everyone...) It's not my fault. My parents were watching Trading Spouses. It ended, they switched the channel, and it had started! *******s...
                              I kind of tried to keep true to the story's unfolding... That's what I've done with the other two summaries I've wrote in the past, although I DO like yours. (I'm going to be green-happy today to anyone who writes a decent summary)
                              Last edited by Gothann; 06 December 2004, 06:14 PM.
                              Enter my game site...

Comment

Working...
                              X