Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Before I Sleep

Actually, the scientific nomenclature of our kind (how we classify ourselves using Linnaeus's species naming system invented only a few centuries ago) is still Homo Sapiens/Homo Sapiens Sapiens (of course derived from Latin, since that was still the popular scientific language at the time)... the Romans probably would've simply used Homo or something like that, as they didn't use the formal Linnaean system of classifying species.

Although true... I guess we should get back on topic ^_^

As for the storyline, I was surprised to see that the time travel wasn't linear, like most time-travel in SG-1 was. To break the timeline like that would mean that Dr. Weir is going to die twice in one universe... Um...

Lieutenant Colonel Major Fischer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gothann

As for the storyline, I was surprised to see that the time travel wasn't linear, like most time-travel in SG-1 was. To break the timeline like that would mean that Dr. Weir is going to die twice in one universe... Um...
    Time travel always has issues with paradox, and I'm willing to bet that McKay will have fun sticking it to Carter when they contact with earth. Given that it proves that her theories about time travel paradox were wrong in 1969.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Fischer
    Time travel always has issues with paradox, and I'm willing to bet that McKay will have fun sticking it to Carter when they contact with earth. Given that it proves that her theories about time travel paradox were wrong in 1969.
    Yeah, but notice that in 2010, the note safeguarding SG-1 from the Aschen does break the linear timeline that happens in SG-1, making them return to that note in 2001...

So the Atlanteans had powerful warships, transportvessels for 300+ and their planetary explorer-vessels, a.k.a. Puddle Jumper.

That's really cool. Hopefully we'll atleast get some information about them later on. Recorded video of engagements with the Wraith for example. Also design specs and blueprints

Quote Originally Posted by Major Fischer
    All I have to say is.

Wow. That's probably the most original take on time travel I've heard from a television show.
    Is it? I don't know; Red Dwarf had some pretty unique ways for dealing w/ the concept. ... Oh, alright, yeah, when it comes to American shows, you're absolutely right; Stargate's been the goto franchise for doing the absolute best job w/ various Sci-Fi concepts for close to 10 years now (just compare Stargate's black hole episode w/ Enterprise's black hole episode, and you'll see what I mean).

I mean, our own name seems to have changed somewhat, Homo Sapiens --> Homo Sapiens Sapiens --> Homo --> whatever name it's called in any Latin based language (Humain in french, Human in English, and so on)
    Yeah, but the name of the Ancients as a species probably wouldn't be much different; as an empire they may not have changed it much, depending on where the name came from. After all, we've had a number of places that've greatly changed their name (Mesopotamia to the various countries of the Middle East), and those that haven't really (Isreal, Egypt, etc.). It all depends exactly on what happened during the Ancients' history. Technically, "they" (i.e. their descendents) don't call themselves the (whatever name was actually used in place of) "Ancients" anymore.

So? Time travel is never exclusively linear, nor is it truly paradoxical; at least not according to the current theories. There's basically an infinite "web" of timelines (called the Quantum Multiverse), and time travel can involve either travel to one of them or looping about your own, depending on your actions (like, say, if you met yourself from the future, you'd still have the choice of whether or not to realize that timeline by travelling to the past at that point in the future); so stories in which SG-1 meets Hammond in the past and fulfill their timeline but later also change the timeline w/ a note are very much allowed according to current leading theories of quantum physics (The Fabric of Reality by David Deutsch explains this far better).

Quote Originally Posted by MartoufMarty
    Janus takes his time travel research with him, and I guess Janus makes another time ship on EARTH, thus explaining the whole Mobieus thing going on there.
    OK, this is why showing Atlantis w/o showing SG-1 concurrently doesn't work out well; I seem to recall Gateworld mentioning something about them finding such a ship in "It's Good to be King". In that case, it doesn't fully explain the Moebius situation, since the ship wasn't actually found on Earth, and I guess it'd make a bit more sense anyway that Janus would go into hiding on another world.

-Bloodaxe

A good episode (what can I say, I love them all), and informative about the ancients.But, I was disappointed that there wasn't any elaboration about the whole Shep 'sharing himself' with Chaya from the previous episode. They BETTER follow that up soon.

Others have done the summary bit quite well, I'll just nit-pick a little.

A note is found in her sleeve with 5 gate adresses, most of which were already visited before.
    I'm pretty sure McKay only mentioned that ONE had been visited before. I definitely didn't get the impression that MOST had been visited before. And I presume that the one that had been visited was whatever that planet was from Childhood's End.

The Hologram Lady = Morris (sp?). (Funny, cause I didn't recognize her as such, but I did catch the name. )

The Ancients do have a name...don't they refer to themselves as Atlanteans? That's what I picked up at least from this episode.

Shipper Notes:

I did swoon a bit in that first scene with Weir and Shep on the balcony...definitely a shippy moment! Also, since he was the only one to acknowledge her birthday, it's even more significant. I do think they will be developing this ship very very gradually though, which is good.

I caught a few interesting looks between Teyla and McKay, and thinking back I think I've caught similar looks in previous episodes too. In particular I'm referring to those moments when McKay says something REALLY obnoxious, and then they cut/pan to Teyla giving him a 'tsk, tsk' look. Kinda makes me think she has private talks with him in which she tells him to 'behave'.

Quote Originally Posted by fair_nymph
    A good episode (what can I say, I love them all), and informative about the ancients.But, I was disappointed that there wasn't any elaboration about the whole Shep 'sharing himself' with Chaya from the previous episode. They BETTER follow that up soon.

Others have done the summary bit quite well, I'll just nit-pick a little.

I'm pretty sure McKay only mentioned that ONE had been visited before. I definitely didn't get the impression that MOST had been visited before. And I presume that the one that had been visited was whatever that planet was from Childhood's End.

The Hologram Lady = Morris (sp?). (Funny, cause I didn't recognize her as such, but I did catch the name. )

The Ancients do have a name...don't they refer to themselves as Atlanteans? That's what I picked up at least from this episode.

Shipper Notes:

I did swoon a bit in that first scene with Weir and Shep on the balcony...definitely a shippy moment! Also, since he was the only one to acknowledge her birthday, it's even more significant. I do think they will be developing this ship very very gradually though, which is good.

I caught a few interesting looks between Teyla and McKay, and thinking back I think I've caught similar looks in previous episodes too. In particular I'm referring to those moments when McKay says something REALLY obnoxious, and then they cut/pan to Teyla giving him a 'tsk, tsk' look. Kinda makes me think she has private talks with him in which she tells him to 'behave'.
    personally i think he was just being friendly since hes kinda like the 2nd in command of the base so he has to interact with weir a lot, i did kinda see it as maybe being a bit shippy, but after his hot zone fun with teyla, and his sanctuary with athar, i think he already has his hands full. and mckay and teyla, i just dont see that happening...ever... but thats just IMHO
    Ford: You know we still haven't named the planet yet
    Sheppard: I'm sure the ancients have a name for it
    Ford: How about atlantica? Something like that
    Sheppard: I thought we agreed you were not going to name anything anymore

Chief Master Sergeant soulblade64's Avatar

it's the first time an actual birthday has been referrenced on the show. granted, teal'c said his was in a while in one episode, but his birthday wasn't in that episode.

they didn't even happen to mention her name, because people reckon she's pushing 50, but i reckon she's only about 35

I don't really think there is much romantically between McKay and Teyla, but I do think there might be more to their relationship than meets the unobservant eye.

I don't think Shep and Teyla have anything going on (I didn't in Hot Zone either...at least not on Shep's end), and I don't see why Athar/Chaya rules out a home-based Weir ship.

But when it comes to Shep, I will readily admit I am not fully in command of my logical faculties.

just a couple words
    you are still thinking young weir and her crew are living their own time line , that is not true , they are living OLD WEIR's time line , why you ask? is because OLD WEIR never came back.

The ancient hologram chick's name is Morose. She reminded me of the Nox chick Lya.
    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Quote Originally Posted by 9-Chevron
    just a couple words
    you are still thinking young weir and her crew are living their own time line , that is not true , they are living OLD WEIR's time line , why you ask? is because OLD WEIR never came back.
    lets not get started on the whole "which timeline" thing, with time travel, you could argue to the ends of the earth and not reach a solid conclusion.
    Ford: You know we still haven't named the planet yet
    Sheppard: I'm sure the ancients have a name for it
    Ford: How about atlantica? Something like that
    Sheppard: I thought we agreed you were not going to name anything anymore

I kind of tried to keep true to the story's unfolding... That's what I've done with the other two summaries I've wrote in the past, although I DO like yours. (I'm going to be green-happy today to anyone who writes a decent summary)
    To Gothann and Marty

Thank you so much for your excellent summaries, both of you!!!

Well like I said in other posts I knew this episode won't reveal everything but at least we have learnt something about the ancients.

Second Lieutenant AsgardCarnage's Avatar

great ep, one of my favs for sure. at least now we know they had war ships. we learn abit about the "atlantians" but we hear nothing of their asention. i guess they asended many years later in the milkyway and then athar went back to her people to protect them.

they call them selfs "atlantians" they said it in this ep

the banter between shep and mckey was great all the "haha you died first" stuff was heaps funny. also i think its funny there is along line of people who are happy to defy the atlantian and asended ancient councils

a few things that seemed out of place to me, no one seemed that panic'd that they were under attack or fleeing their home. and why was the passanger ship trying to break through a seige that had been going on for years why not use the stargate to get back to atlantis from where ever they were? also no word about the orbital platform, it must have been destroyed a while ago. also it sucked we didn't get to hear what the atlantians call the ZPM's.

but still a great ep i liked i would prob place it 3rd (after rising pt1/2 and defiant one)

edit: also we found out they can simply block address's from dialing in, johnus said "i have blocked all address's besides earth from coming in so u will be safe" i wonder if that is a unique feature to atlantis or if its posible to do with any gate if u program the DHD right, like the 8th shevron.

Did they mention anything about 9th chevron

Second Lieutenant AsgardCarnage's Avatar

nope no 9th chevron talk

Oh well there are some mysteries that will remain for sometime to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Wass
    Oh well there are some mysteries that will remain for sometime to come.
    If you're wondering, the 9th chevron has nothing to do with time travel. There's a quantum generator inside the PJ aiding it's travel through time.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast