X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have an opinion regarding spoilers

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
    I don't envy the mods here and I appreciate what they do try to do. But I can't help but wonder if a different approach by the mods would benefit the general populace. Threats don't work! Going about putting spoilers tags on post where the poster honestly just forgot doesn't help, deleting post, editing post for being off topic only adds to the child like mentality I have seen here.
    I have to disagree with you there. I think it is important that they continue to that for the people who are spoiler free. I wouldn't take it as the mods telling the person who forgot off, just that it needs to be put behind a spoiler for the curtesy of other readers.

Recently I read a post about the new pics for The Shrine that was not in spoilers, I am semi-spoiler free so I haven't seen them yet. Now everybody who saw the post ask the poster to put it behind spoilers but she only posts once every few days so wasn't there to edit it herself. The mods needed to edit it, I would be horrified with myself if I accidentally spoiled a friend who is spoiler free and if I forgot to spoiler something I would appreciate the mods editing it
    What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Originally posted by CazzBlade View Post
    I have to disagree with you there. I think it is important that they continue to that for the people who are spoiler free. I wouldn't take it as the mods telling the person who forgot off, just that it needs to be put behind a spoiler for the curtesy of other readers.

Recently I read a post about the new pics for The Shrine that was not in spoilers, I am semi-spoiler free so I haven't seen them yet. Now everybody who saw the post ask the poster to put it behind spoilers but she only posts once every few days so wasn't there to edit it herself. The mods needed to edit it, I would be horrified with myself if I accidentally spoiled a friend who is spoiler free and if I forgot to spoiler something I would appreciate the mods editing it
    my question is...why would reading a piece of information from a much larger puzzle horrify you? No one has seen the ep...it hasn't aired yet. What few spoilers we get are the same as a commercial for the show.

Even referring to a single scene that lasted 1.5 seconds needs a spoiler tag. I could understand spoilers for a large chunk of info about a show. But for itty bitty slivers...it find it redundant and over all uneventful.

For the most part I find (especially in Stargate) that the synopsis of the ep, movie, ect...doesn't even really match what I later view.

IMO placing spoiler tags on an ep that hasn't even aired (with the exception of leaked material) is nothing more than concealing a commercial.

If I were to decided that I do not want any additional info about a product...the last place I would go is to a forum where people discuss the product. I would stay as clear and as far away from any informational source as possible.

I just cannot understand the drive to go to a forum to discuss a show or product when there is pacific information I would be horrified from reading.

It's kind of an oxymoron to actually expect not to read series info on a fan site.
    Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
      my question is...why would reading a piece of information from a much larger puzzle horrify you? No one has seen the ep...it hasn't aired yet. What few spoilers we get are the same as a commercial for the show.

Even referring to a single scene that lasted 1.5 seconds needs a spoiler tag. I could understand spoilers for a large chunk of info about a show. But for itty bitty slivers...it find it redundant and over all uneventful.

For the most part I find (especially in Stargate) that the synopsis of the ep, movie, ect...doesn't even really match what I later view.

IMO placing spoiler tags on an ep that hasn't even aired (with the exception of leaked material) is nothing more than concealing a commercial.

If I were to decided that I do not want any additional info about a product...the last place I would go is to a forum where people discuss the product. I would stay as clear and as far away from any informational source as possible.

I just cannot understand the drive to go to a forum to discuss a show or product when there is pacific information I would be horrified from reading.

It's kind of an oxymoron to actually expect not to read series info on a fan site.
      Well, I don't know about other threads but in the whump thread and the JT thread we get a lot more spoilers than are given through the synopses.

It would horrify me because if I know that my friend was spoiler free, there is usally a good reason, like being dissapointed by a previous ep that wasn't what they'd hoped it would be or knowing too much about the ep beforehand so watching it seemed like an anticlimax, anyway... if my friend was spoiler free and I let out a spoiler to them it would spoil the ep for them, hense the term spoiler.
      What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

There are a few scenes, even super short ones, that would be huge spoilers. Such as who appeared in the last few minutes of Kindred II and who appeared in the first few minutes of Search & Rescue. These would be huge spoilers for anyone watching the show in syndication and on DVD.

I watch the show (currently) via iTunes, which does not include previews for the next week. So, as it is, I don't even know the name of the next ep, much less any story or person info.

{Jill snip}

There's my opinion. As long as it's what Briangate thinks.
        Last edited by Jill_Ion; 25 July 2008, 04:31 PM. Reason: removed off-topic portion - didn't make sense in this context

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
        O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Not to nitpick, but CazzBlade said she would be horrified if she spoiled someone else -- not the other way around. I also feel bad when I spoil someone, not because television shows are OMG SO IMPORTANT, but because it's just rude.

Most places I go to talk television have decent spoiler policies. I think it's perfectly reasonable for someone interested in a t.v. show to be able to go these sites with the expectations that posters will abide by the spoiler policies of the site they're posting at.

And if someone makes a mistake and slips up, why shouldn't the moderators fix that? What's so offensive about that?
          My Livejournal
          I watched all of the first four seasons of SGA last May. Here are my newbie impressions.

Comment

Just an FYI for any that haven't taken the time to read the Forum FAQ here is GateWorld's Spoiler Policy

Originally posted by GateWorld Spoiler Policy
            Since our members are all watching different episodes on different stations in different parts of the world (from the U.S. to the United Kingdom, Germany, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and more), we want to make sure that our fellow fans aren't spoiled about upcoming episode plot or character developments (unless they really want to be!). The goal is to give those who don't want to spoiled the chance to skip a post or thread without reading it.

The rule of thumb is this: If your post has spoilers it must include a spoiler warning, unless the thread (and thread title) already started with a warning for that episode.

We ask that you include a warning (including the specific episode title and season number) and use the [spoiler] tag to hide the relevant portions of text. Include
            Spoiler:
            , in square brackets, before your spoiler text starts, and
            after it ends, like this:

Spoiler:
            I can't believe Jack dies in this episode!

This forces the reader to click a "Spoiler" button in order to read the enclosed text. Alternately, you may insert at least 10 lines of spoiler space after the warning, to force readers to scroll down to find the spoiler. But the [spoiler] tag method is strongly preferred.

Spoiler warnings are required for all episodes in the seasons airing in first-run on SCI FI Channel in the U.S., and in production. (Visit GateWorld's SG-1 and Atlantis episode guides if you aren't sure which season the episode is in.)

All new threads on a topic likely to include spoilers should be clearly marked in the first post, or the first post and the thread title, with the word "spoilers." Replies to properly-marked threads don't need spoiler space; but if you are replying with spoilers to a thread that has not been flagged at the start as containing spoilers, please do include a warning and spoiler space.

Starting with Stargate Atlantis Season Four, each episode has its own dedicated folder. Spoilers abound in these folders for that specific episode, and do not require spoiler warnings. Thread titles, however, must be kept relatively spoiler-free, since they appear in New Posts and search results for all members. When posting in an episode-specific folder, you must still include spoiler warnings for any episode that aired (or will air) later than that episode.

Do not include spoilery info in the thread title itself, as it may turn up under "New Posts" or in a search for someone who is trying to avoid spoilers.

Please also include a spoiler warning and space for the current and future seasons of other shows discussed, and for new-release films.
            Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

There are people who avoid commercials (especially SciFi ones) to avoid being spoiled.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                There are people who avoid commercials (especially SciFi ones) to avoid being spoiled.

well, you'd have to avoid SciFi to avoid the ads, but considering the crap on SciFi, it's not that difficult Only other shows I watch are WHO (only two eps left) and EUREKA. Otherwise, little else to watch.

but as for spoilers, please folk, if the title doesn't say spoilers in it, for crying out loud, use a spoiler tag. I just got a huge plot point for CONTINUUM spoiled in a non-spoiler thread, so, frankly, I'm in no rush to buy the DVD anymore.

Comment

I wish there weren't any spoilers for unreleased episodes at all. Spoilers is like cheating to me. It takes a way some of the fun when you watch the episode for the first time. I just don't understand why people have to know what happens before they actually see it happening.
                  We're whalers on the moon,
                  We carry a harpoon.
                  But there ain't no whales
                  So we tell tall tales
                  And sing our whaling tune.

Comment

» I've only been seeking out spoilers actively as of late because of high "squick" potential I may get these days.

» And, usually the spoilers I read aren't too detailed - but I've never been a spoilerphobe either, so ... *shrugs*

Comment

People should follow the spoiler rules set forth by GateWorld. That's my opinion.

I like to read spoilers and sometimes I don't. It depends. At this point in SGA and SG-1, I don't really care anymore, but on other shows that are featured on GW, I do want people to follow the spoiler rules like they are supposed to.

Though I do wish people were better at labeling what is under their spoiler tag. If they know what specific episode/season it's for, they ought to say, rather than me have to guess if it's worth taking the chance and clicking, like if the conversation is being vague and then something is thrown under a tag.
                      IMO always implied.

Comment

I LOVE spoilers! Theres a big diff between knowing wuts gonna happen and seeing it imho. Theres the visual presentation, backgrounds and appearances, there how the actor plays the scene, the special effects. I never got ppl who wont watch something if the know how it ends.

Comment

I agree with both sides here. For me it's all about different degrees of "spoilery-ness", if you will. Certain stills such as those for S&R and Kindred II would be obvious ones to spoiler-tag, but I feel it's redundant to tag a picture of say, a single character with an ominous look on their face or something.

I personally don't think most promotional stills are spoilers, unless it reveals a surprise guest appearance or some such.

Comment

I disagree that spoilers are no different from trailers. Some might be similar, but most of the ones we have to tag are big deal sorts of things.

There's a difference between trailer-style spoiler ("next week's ep is set in the 1980s, and has a young Dr Fraser") and fifth act spoiler ("OMG did you see the bit at the end when Zelenka turned out to have been spying for the wraith for the past six years").

Madeleine

Comment

I make an effort to see that I don't "spoil" for other viewers, but I love spoilers!!! put a hint under the tag and I will read it! I read interviews, blogs, etc... I like finding out!

Comment

Working...
                              X