Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 815161718

Thread: Hot Zone (113)

Default Re: Hot Zone (113)

The city is another character, and I love episodes that make its inhabitants explore it more. I see some mixed responses to this episode, but I really like it for the most part.

This is the first time we see a serious fight between Weir and Sheppard, and I think it finally highlights how different the command dynamic is between them and those in a military operation back at the SGC. Even O'Neill wasn't this argumentative; he didn't act like he could walk all over Hammond whenever he disagreed with a decision. As much as I want to yell at Sheppard, I enjoy the heightened tension. I only wish that he'd regretted humiliating Elizabeth, but then, I guess that's his character. At least for now.

On another note, one thing that's been nagging at me since the beginning of the season is how McKay seems to wave off Carson and his medical expertise as if he knows little to nothing. Actually, it might have less to do with McKay and more to do with how Carson is written and/or portrayed. In Thirty-Eight Minutes, Carson prefaces a "stupid question" by saying he's only a medical doctor, and his reaction to Grodin's clear answer is a look of utter confusion, signaling to Weir that she has to clarify for him. There's also been at least one line about Carson being only a medical doctor, as opposed to a scientist.

I get that certain characters function to ask the questions that the audience is thinking of (like O'Neill), but why the medical doctor? In this episode, McKay seems to have a better working knowledge of the brain than Carson, and he continually dismisses all of Carson's answers, which honestly seem too conveniently simple or short-sighted for someone in his position to come up with.

Heck, listening to the commentary for this episode, even Martin Gero (I think) admitted that McKay knew a lot about different subjects - more than he probably should, given his specific expertise. McKay says, "I'm no M.D.," to which Rainbow responds in the commentary, "Sure sounds like an M.D." Martin and Rainbow jokingly say that it's "really terrifying how much knowledge McKay has about every subject," and Martin says that it's difficult to write a genius character... etc.

I mean... Why couldn't Carson have noticed the anomaly that everyone's visions were the same? Why was McKay the one to explain how normal hallucinations worked? It just felt very odd. At this point, I almost feel like McKay is being written to have enough knowledge to be the base's CMO if he can 'outdo' Carson like this.

Perhaps it *does* have more to do with McKay and the need to make him smarter than everyone else in the show.

Oh, well. We won't have to deal with Carson's incompetence for long. Just a few more seasons...
    Last edited by Janet Fraiser; August 3rd, 2015 at 06:29 PM.
    rest easy now

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Major General

IMO the reason we never saw Oneill being as argumentative, was cause it was an all mil op at SG1, where SGA was a civilian ran one.

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    IMO the reason we never saw Oneill being as argumentative, was cause it was an all mil op at SG1, where SGA was a civilian ran one.
    Yeah, which is why I'm happy SGA is a civilian operation. It makes things more interesting, and the differences in the types of decisions Weir and Sheppard would make are more apparent, causing more problems.

I see similarities between O'Neill and Sheppard, but I think Sheppard is more prone to arguing with people in general. I tend to think the black mark on his record is brought up several times just to remind everyone of how much of a loose cannon he could potentially be, even if he thinks he's acting for the right reasons.
    rest easy now

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Major General

Just rewatched this ep, and i am still stumped about something.
    When Shep first set off the EMP in rodney's lab, shouldn't his radio comms have fried?
    And shouldn't then have EVERYONE'S radios have fried after setting off the naquida generator/nuke??

Wonderland chasing the Cheshire & the White Rabbit

That's an intelligent question--too intelligent for me I'm afraid. I was just happy the ep had a lot of Zelenka in it.

Major General

It was one of the first higher involvement eps Zelenka had. Followed by the brotherhood..

Probie

This was the very first episode I saw of SGA so it holds a special fondness for me. It made me want to watch more to see more of these characters. Of course I didn't know who anybody was at that point, but I already liked Mckay and Zelenka from this episode, Carson too actually.