• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Zone (113)

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE ATLANTIS - SEASON ONE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 113

Several residents of Atlantis are infected with a deadly nanite virus, forcing a lockdown of the city.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 04 February 2021, 08:38 PM.

here you go you lucky Canadians. Have fun
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I'm going to jump the gun here and speak for all the Spoilerific Americans.

Someone want to give a summery?

Comment

This was another great episode! This first season is having all really great episodes and this one doesn't dissapoint one bit! I can't wait to find out who the enemies are who made that nanovirus! Enywayz It was really good!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
          I'm going to jump the gun here and speak for all the Spoilerific Americans.

Someone want to give a summery?
          While the episode is quite long, I'd rather give a short summary of what I have right now since I ran out of tape mid-episode.

Starts out with McKay and a full science team and a military team in a flooded area of the city, then, they recieve a message from two scientists who are being "attacked" by something. When they arrive, one is dead and the other is in shock. After a few moments, the other scientist dies in Zelenka's arms of what seems to be hallucinations.
          After that, McKay orders everyone to stay where they are, for fear that they are infected, and contacts Weir telling her of the situation. He then proceeds to go out of where he was and try and find where the two first scientists were when they were infected. He then finds what seems to be a small lab and goes in with Ford covering his six.
          Next, we see Sheppard and Teyla training with what seems to be short sticks, after which they recieve the city-wide warning that the city is in lockdown. Sheppard searches for a radio.
          Switch back to McKay, he asks for Beckett's medical team, in full Hazard suits, in order to examine everyone. As that happens, one more scientist dies and seemingly throws herself on one of the more jumpy scientists there, who proceeds to have a hallucination and runs away.
          Weir sees him running and closes all doors in his way and powers down everything. McKay tells Weir that the guy has just as much knowlege about Ancient technology as he does, and doing those door locks will only slow him down.
          Sheppard talks to Weir, demanding that he go get the runaway, Weir says no. Sheppard orders Sargeant Bates to open the door, who is now torn between Sheppard and Weir ordering him to do opposite things. He finally caves in and opens the door, apologizing to Dr. Weir.
          Beckett's team gets to McKay, they examine everyone, they learn that the deaths were caused by hemorrages behind the visual center of the brain. Meanwhile McKay has been having hallucinations, alongside another scientist.
          Sheppard goes to the med lab, gets a Hazard suit, and goes in search for the guy.
          The scientist who was infected dies, and McKay goes into a very emotional speech, thinking they are his last words. When he's done, he notices that he's not dead, wherein he SHOULD have died at the same time as the other. Beckett is intrigued by this and wonders what happened.
          Sheppard and Teyla find the runaway man in a hallway, and corner him against a door he just barely opened to go through. As they force him to give up, he runs to a transporter and goes into the Mess Hall of the main tower, but not before being shot by Sheppard's P90. He falls down and dies in the mess hall, with the people there in a panic. Then, the whole city goes into lockdown, where every door closes and all commands cease working.
          It's then that Sheppard tries to go back to the main tower, noticing that he can go through a door. He then asks Weir if she can use the doors, who says no, then procedes to yell at Sheppard for having even considered doing what he just did, resulting in the infection of EVERYONE in the control tower.
          Ford starts panicking back at the Ancient lab, because he has only an hour left to live.
          Sheppard and Teyla reach the Mess Hall and start acessing the infection, then McKay radios in and says that he should go to his lab.
          Sheppard then goes there, ordered to initiate an EMP. After doing so, nothing happens, Ford and Zelenka start getting desperate. McKay and Beckett find out that the virus is a nanovirus and that it's made to target solely humans. Since McKay has ATA innoculation, he didn't die, but since Zelenka's body rejected it, his time is clocked at 29 minutes left to live. We now learn that only 48% of people who are innoculated have a lasting effect.
          The people in the mess hall have their first hallucination, they panic. Teyla tries to calm them down, but is thrown on glass. She notices that her Hazard suit is cut open, and then gets hit by the knowlege that she's now infected.
          McKay thinks of a way to destroy the nanites, by making a nuclear explosion detonate 20 miles over the city. At that point, Weir contests the loss of a Naquadah generator, but Sheppard says it's the only and last shot they all have at survival. She gives the OK. Sheppard makes it go into overload and runs quickly to a PJ. Once inside, he takes the generator to a 20-mile vertical distance and starts to run away from it with 30 seconds to spare, the bomb explodes and everyone waits...

Then, all ancient systems go back online for all humans, the nanobots are all disabled.

Dr.Weir calls Sheppard to talk with her when he gets back, and then points out that General O'Neill and Colonel Sumner had warned her that Major Sheppard has a hard time grasping command structure. Then, McKay and Zelenka go in and talk about the nanovirus, and how they ruled out the implication of the Wraith in it's creation.

McKay notices how it was in an Ancient lab that this thing was being studied... He then asks who made it and why... But he just hopes that the people who made it aren't still around...

End Short Synopsis.

EDIT: Crap, just noticed that I spent half an hour on that one. BEWARE: some of the timeline in my text is very likely out of order by about one or two scenes. Sorry for that, but how do you expect me to remember something I saw fifteen minutes before starting my writing, AND without the tape to guide me.
          Enter my game site...

Comment

I've just noticed something...

McKay mentions that it was not the Wraith who made the virus. He also tried to avoid/deny that the Ancients made it. If that were true, that would mean that the Atlantis Expedition might be facing way more threats than just the vengeful Genii and the human-farming Wraith... They might be up against a Human-hating race. (ooh, if those are the Furlings I'd just die... Since their reason for breaking the 4-Race Alliance is still unknown, well.. EVERYTHING about them is unknown... They might have developed a hatred for the Humans and disbanded from the Alliance when the Ancients tried to save them. This is just a theory)
            Enter my game site...

Comment

Originally posted by Gothann
              I've just noticed something...

McKay mentions that it was not the Wraith who made the virus. He also tried to avoid/deny that the Ancients made it.
              I have NOT seen this episode, and the following is speculation based on his speculation. I'm putting it in White Text for those of you who don't want to read it.

Presuppose for the moment that it was the Ancients who created it. Might it be a biological weapon for use against humans who rebelled or attacked them? I've long been suggesting there is an Alpha/Beta relationship between the Ancients and the humans they seeded. Perhaps some movement of humans did not view their creators so kindly?

Comment

I have NOT seen this episode, and the following is speculation based on his speculation. I'm putting it in White Text for those of you who don't want to read it.

Presuppose for the moment that it was the Ancients who created it. Might it be a biological weapon for use against humans who rebelled or attacked them? I've long been suggesting there is an Alpha/Beta relationship between the Ancients and the humans they seeded. Perhaps some movement of humans did not view their creators so kindly?
                Though that might be a valid cause, it might also be something else...

When the Ancients saw that the humans were the perfect food for the Wraith, they might have created the virus to eliminate all humans in order to cripple the Wraith's feeding grounds.
                Enter my game site...

Comment

Though that might be a valid cause, it might also be something else...

When the Ancients saw that the humans were the perfect food for the Wraith, they might have created the virus to eliminate all humans in order to cripple the Wraith's feeding grounds.
                  That would also seem extremely plausable to me.

Comment

Rodney has a sister? Cool...

Rodney developed even more. He was so scared with all the people just dying around him. He took charge for most of the episode, and he was just great.

That episode was great!

Me and my sister figured out the Ancient gene thing about 10 minutes before they did lol. Maybe we should head over to the Pegasus galaxy

Loved the close-to-ending-scene. They were just so happy. Ford hugging Beckett (whoohoo) and then hugging McKay (who looked like he was about a cry!) Awww...

I think that it's the Ancients who made the virus. Killing off the Wraith's food source was probably their last plan.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                    Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

That would also seem extremely plausable to me.
                      Remember, although the Ancients were a benevolent race, they are also one who takes drastic measures in order to protect their own race. Daniel Jackson was punished for having interfered with Ascended Ancient laws by failing to interfere with the happenings in Season 6. We also know that the Ancients took it upon themselves to sink the city of Atlantis instead of stand against the Wraith, fleeing back to Earth instead of protecting what was left of their human seeds.
                      Enter my game site...

Comment

Remember, although the Ancients were a benevolent race, they are also one who takes drastic measures in order to protect their own race.
                        The Ascended cast themselves and the Ancients as a benevolent race. They show little actual evidence of it.

Comment

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
                          Rodney has a sister? Cool...

Rodney developed even more. He was so scared with all the people just dying around him. He took charge for most of the episode, and he was just great.

That episode was great!

Me and my sister figured out the Ancient gene thing about 10 minutes before they did lol. Maybe we should head over to the Pegasus galaxy

Loved the close-to-ending-scene. They were just so happy. Ford hugging Beckett (whoohoo) and then hugging McKay (who looked like he was about a cry!) Awww...

I think that it's the Ancients who made the virus. Killing off the Wraith's food source was probably their last plan.
                          And yet again, Sheppard comes to the rescue...

Well, at least I was able to see a few fun things here, plus the McKay's-last-words bit nearly squeezed a tear out of my eye. His despair almost looked genuine. IMHO that was the greatest acting I've seen David Hewlett do ever since The Cube.
                          Enter my game site...

Comment

I'm so envious of you guys. As a SHEP lover. Anyone got more details about his role in this? I gather he gets in trouble. Heeee.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin7
                              I'm so envious of you guys. As a SHEP lover. Anyone got more details about his role in this? I gather he gets in trouble. Heeee.

Thanks in advance.
                              He gets in a bit of trouble, but he's not really there in the episode that much.

He's doing some stick training with Teyla, then he gets Bates to open the door, Elizabeth gets mad at him, he goes around, sets off the EPM, comes up with the idea of the Naquadah generator explosion over the planet, does it, gets yelled at.

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                              Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Working...
                              X