• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sanctuary (114)

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE ATLANTIS - SEASON ONE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 114

The team finds a paradise world that would make an ideal sanctuary for those fleeing from the Wraith, but the local inhabitants believe their goddess will not permit it.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 04 February 2021, 08:50 PM.

Well, is anyone gracious enough to give the unfortunate a review/summary?

Comment

I can only review, I don't have time for a summary.
      There is a LOAD of spoilers in it too, so watch out.

I believe that Major Sheppard is, without any doubt, becoming a mirror image of Captain Kirk, as Rodney so aptly describes as "So 1967".

Here's my review.

I found the episode quite relieving from the tense episodes we've seen of late (what, FOUR episodes with impending doom in them? I was getting tired of it). The relationship between the High Priestess and Sheppard was surprisingly familiar (the Kirk bit) and we get to see Sheppard's first on-screen kiss, with an ANCIENT, no less. The whole romance thing became a key factor in the episode too quickly in my view, with Sheppard jumping the gun and Weir LETTING him go out alone on a PJ to fight a fleet of Wraith Darts.
      But still, the episode was extremely interesting and calm (aside from McKay's apparent blunders here).

Here's a major spoiler: We can now see an Ascended Ancient's power. Let's just say it's not a pretty sight when it's unleashed.
      Enter my game site...

Comment

So an Ancient that was once ascended, but is no longer, still retains the ascended powers?

Comment

Originally posted by dd78matt
          So an Ancient that was once ascended, but is no longer, still retains the ascended powers?
          She can switch freely between being ascended and not.
          Enter my game site...

Comment

hmmm.... I wonder if they could not make Daniel "un-ascended" therefore they made him just go back to human "form" and took away his memories. He may actually still be ascended... just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by tfalls1
              hmmm.... I wonder if they could not make Daniel "un-ascended" therefore they made him just go back to human "form" and took away his memories. He may actually still be ascended... just a thought
              No, Daniel was re-born, or something to that effect. To be expelled from being Ascended is to be returned to your original form. To be damned from the ranks of the Ascended leaves you Ascended, but stuck to one place (like what's his name on that planet with the powerful weapon)
              Enter my game site...

Comment

No, Daniel was re-born, or something to that effect. To be expelled from being Ascended is to be returned to your original form. To be damned from the ranks of the Ascended leaves you Ascended, but stuck to one place (like what's his name on that planet with the powerful weapon)
                Sorry, Daniel wasn't reborn. He was forced into his mortal form because he was going to break the rules.

Also, Orlan wasn't "trapped" on Velona. If he were stuck there, how could he have followed SG-1 through the gate?

Personally, I think Orlan's punishment was like jail time. He couldn't operate the Stargate to leave, and he could just fly away or teleport somewhere. He was stuck. Then the SG-1 team came, and opened up his cell.
                Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
                  Sorry, Daniel wasn't reborn. He was forced into his mortal form because he was going to break the rules.

Also, Orlan wasn't "trapped" on Velona. If he were stuck there, how could he have followed SG-1 through the gate?

Personally, I think Orlan's punishment was like jail time. He couldn't operate the Stargate to leave, and he could just fly away or teleport somewhere. He was stuck. Then the SG-1 team came, and opened up his cell.
                  True, but if we look at Athar, she was stuck on her own planet, too, until she was brought back by Sheppard. But being away too long would alert the Wraith of her absence and summon them there.

As for Daniel, yes, he was forced to his mortal form, but by being re-born I meant he had absolutely no idea of who he was at first, almost like amnesia from the banishment. Though he regained his memory, he also retained a tad bit of the Ancient language, too.

Now let's get back on topic before someone deletes these posts.

Leonor Varela did a wonderful job being an Ancient, being mystical and always hiding something. Although I don't really know why Athar should have a slight hispanic accent, it was good to see more than just white-looking Ascended Ancients for once.
                  Enter my game site...

Comment

The thing is that Daniel didn't know how to ascend, Athar did so she could switch freely.

Daniel got help from an Ancient, she did not

Comment

Also Athar is an ancient therefore she is biologically more advanced then Daniel who is human and she probably has better control of her powers then Daniel ever did.
                      "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Well once ascended I don't think biology matters.

Comment

This episode made my loins burn in 2 ways. One way is not aloud to be described on this board.

the second way is that they FINALLY found an ACTUAL ancient. I was afraid they were gonna drag it on forever with the whole where's waldo the ancient thing.

Now I want them to find the death star.... oh wait they did. I bet they'll never reference that thing again.

Comment

i was well impressed with this episode. hope theres more of that.

Comment

I have been impressed by the whole season.
                              "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Working...
                              X