Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanctuary (114)

Default Re: Sanctuary

My guess is that the knowledge of ascension is limited to a group of people.

The Others - The ones that know how to ascend, and helped the other Ancients to ascend.

The rest - Ancients, and other people like Skaara, Daniel and so on, who don't know how to ascend.

Oma Desala - The one who figured out how to ascend. Therefore they allow her to operate outside the normal rules.

Anubis - Oma, in her foolishness, taught Anubis how to ascend, she didn't just help him like she did with Daniel. Therefore if the Others would force him to descend he would just ascend again. Therefore the best the Others could do is to have him in a ascend-descend loop, but as long as he doesn't use his powers they leave him alone.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by aAnubiSs
    My guess is that the knowledge of ascension is limited to a group of people.

The Others - The ones that know how to ascend, and helped the other Ancients to ascend.
    The rest - Ancients, and other people like Skaara, Daniel and so on, who don't know how to ascend.
    Oma Desala - The one who figured out how to ascend. Therefore they allow her to operate outside the normal rules.
    who says oma taught everyone to ascend?

my guess is that the ancients, a large majority of them, figured out how to asend and did it to escape the plague, whatever that may have been. they helped other ancients ascend too. in time, some ancients/others decided to help others ascend...ie oma and mike. went around help people asend but never really broke any rules so they couldnt be forced out they were just like outcasts. (hence a possibility as to why orlin knew nothing of her). Those that follow oma seem to be the ones that she helps ascend and are like a seperate group of ancients/others.

People like skaara or daniel know how to ascend once you ascend but i think ordinary people need the help of ascended beings to get up there. (i'm not sure if that is what you meant)

I sort of agree with you to certain extent but I think all ancients had the knowledge to ascend maybe once few ascended they helped others by showing them the right path. IMO the reason oma is allowed to help others to ascend is either the others donít want harm another ancient or there are some sympathizers who understand the reasons for oma helping others.

What I meant is that Oma Desala was the scientist who figured out the last piece of the puzzle how to ascend, therefore she was the first.

The Others are the ones that had access to Omas knowledge, and therefore have power over all the other Ancients who doesn't have the knowledge how to ascend. They just got the help from the Others. Therefore they have no choice but to follow their rules, else they'll get kicked out or banished.

Think of it as any company. You got the CEO (Oma), The major stock-owners(The Others) and the employees(Everyone else ascended)

As for:
    "People like skaara or daniel know how to ascend once you ascend but i think ordinary people need the help of ascended beings to get up there. (i'm not sure if that is what you meant)"

I say that Daniel and Skaara have no idea whatsoever how to ascend. They were just lucky/earned Omas attention and took the chance when given.

Other Ancients are evolved enough the ascend, they just need the right catalyst(some sort of radiation, a virus(maybe the plauge was a failed attempt towards ascension), a chemical or whatever). However, they dont know WHAT the catalyst is, and therefore they can't ascend without help (Orlin for example)

What I meant is that Oma Desala was the scientist who figured out the last piece of the puzzle how to ascend, therefore she was the first.

The Others are the ones that had access to Omas knowledge, and therefore have power over all the other Ancients who doesn't have the knowledge how to ascend. They just got the help from the Others. Therefore they have no choice but to follow their rules, else they'll get kicked out or banished.

Think of it as any company. You got the CEO (Oma), The major stock-owners(The Others) and the employees(Everyone else ascended)
    There is no evidence that oma was the first to ascend and she was scientist. Secondly the ancients were not power huger that they would let there own kind die if they don't follow there views/rules.

I said "I think" - which means that it's my theory. There's no reason The Others would be so strict towards everyone else BUT Oma. There must be a reason. She IS interfering with human evolution.

The Ancients were not power hungry? Well they wouldn't kill them, but they'd force them to live by their rules, else you'll be banished to the planet you tried to help. Both said in Ascension and Sanctuary.

Second Lieutenant

i think someone needs to post a summary of this episode lol

yeah tell me about it I'm waithing for MM (can't spell her full name).

Sanctuary Summary:

SGA-1 gets attacked by Wraith Darts in orbit of a planet.
    "Energy weapon" destroys the Darts
    SGA-1 goes down on the planet to investigate
    The population has never heard about the Wraith. Their goddess protects them.
    SGA-1 talks to the high priestess.
    SGA-1 want to bring people to the planet.
    The goddess won't allow it.
    Sheppard invites the high priestess to Atlantis.
    High priestess touches a device, it activates.
    McKay goes Inspector Gadget.
    Shep and priestess kisses.
    McKay scans her and guesses she's an Ancient.
    The priestess says that she is the goddess that's protecting the planet and that she isn't allowed to protect anyone else but the original inhabitants.(She's the energy weapon)

Something like that =)
    Last edited by aAnubiSs; November 30th, 2004 at 08:26 AM.

Was that a weapon? I thought it was that ascended who did the wave.
    "Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way!"

Visit Dr. Radek Zelenka's Complete Translations and thunk thread

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Ahhhhh you haven't seen the episode yet or have you

Quote Originally Posted by veneticuss
    Was that a weapon? I thought it was that ascended who did the wave.
    It was ascended ancient from what I have read.

Wow, what an excellent episode! Atlantis IMHO just keeps on getting better and better,

I'll try to give a brief summary, but I'm afraid I can't convey the true awesomeness of the epsiodes (I'm a bit of a ancient-fan yes )

Sanctuary - The Lowdown
    ---------

The episode opens with Sheppard and the others in a puddlejumper beeing chased by several darts. Their weapons are offline and Rodney is unable to fix the problem, when suddenly a massive energy burst wipes out the darts while leaving the puddlejumper unharmed. Rodney speculates that it's an ancient weapon and that they should land to see if they can find a ZPM or study the weapon.

Upon landing they discover a people without any technology worth mentioning, and even more mind boggeling, they have never even heard of the wraith. They chitchat and are taken to the high-priestess of Athara, she's quite beautiful by the way .

The team tries to come to some understanding with the high-priestess about granting sanctuary to other people in the galaxy, since the world is untouched by the Wraith. The locals however, after consulting with their deity, denies the request. Upon which Rodney goes into a frenzy about them hiding behind their religion. Sheppard sends them all back to their ship and is able to convince the high-priestess to come with them to Atlantis and learn to know them a little better. (go Shep!)

At Atlantis they start noticing odd things about the high-priestess, she's in _perfect_ health she shows up different on a new life sign detector that she activates by touch. All the time while Sheppard continues to romance her, walks around the city, a picnic and the works. Rodney on the other hand is very suspicious and thinks she could be a dangerous alien.

Weir tries to come to an understanding about what they could share, but it seems the high-priestess isn't interested in anything. Yatta-yatta and she's interested in earth's religions and myths.

Finally Rodney convinces Weir to allow him to scan her while they have a meeting. In the meeting she says some may be welcome to her planet, but not others and she stares at Rodney and says: "Find anything on your scans yet?" Then she says she has stayed too long, and that she must return. While walking towards the stargate, she shows signs of dizzyness and we see a vision of her planet with wraith ships all around. She ascends, and goes through the stargate.

Sheppard soon grabs a puddlejumper and follows suit, he destroys some darts. And then she's in his ship and just says "I'll take care of this" and the big energy woosh destroys all the wraith.

Down on the planet Sheppard learns that she's an Ancient who after ascended protected the humans of her once homeworld. And as punishment she's exiled to the planet to always protect her people, and that the other ascended won't let her interfere in any other way.

Sheppard is pained, but they somehow kiss the ascended way, they share themselves. Awesome!

Excellent episode, my fast summary just can't convey it's awesomeness

Was that the same sharing like in the episode Ascension, when that guy did it with Sam?

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Quote Originally Posted by veneticuss
    Was that the same sharing like in the episode Ascension, when that guy did it with Sam?
    I think so, I'm not entirely sure since I don't have that episode availble at the moment.

She says that in moments they'll know more about eachother than anything and then sort of engulfs him in her white fog.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Rogtag
    I think so, I'm not entirely sure since I don't have that episode availble at the moment.

She says that in moments they'll know more about eachother than anything and then sort of engulfs him in her white fog.
    maybe now this will give sheppard more understanding of atlantis and the ancients.....allowing much more possibility in stories.

but wait, if she says she was condemned for interfering with her people, then her people are not ancients which means she is not which means that she figured out how to asencd w/o someone elses help? (maybe?) or someone helped her like oma did skaara...

'When those of us, whom you call the Ancients, figured out how to ascend we were supposed to leave our human ties behind..." She was an Ancient, but the people seeded on that planet has been her people for several thousands of years

'When those of us, whom you call the Ancients, figured out how to ascend we were supposed to leave our human ties behind..." She was an Ancient, but the people seeded on that planet has been her people for several thousands of years
    Meaning, that it was the planet she seeded?

Or the planet she was assigned to guide, or she just liked it there. We don't really know how the Ancients worked pre-ascension.

Rejoice! The time has come for

PIGGY'S USELESS OPINION
    of 'Sanctuary'

Although not the best of the Atlantis episodes so far, this one was pretty interesting. Granted, it didn't reveal much new information to those of us who have been following all things Stargate, but it introduced Atlantis to some things previously only seen on SG-1: The ascended Ancients, their no-interference law, their "mind sharing" (you know... the thing Orlin did with Sam), as well as random Wizard of Oz references.

Also, this episode contains the series' first romance (not counting Weir/Simon), and thankfully it's not between two series regulars (and will probably not be followed up on anytime soon). This lead to my biggest laugh of the episode; specifically McKay's comments regarding captain Kirk.

No big plot revelations or anything, but this was still a solid, enjoyable episode. One can not really ask for more... every week.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast