Torchwood to be Doctor Who replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BritAngie View Post
    This is the gist - coupled with ongoing budget cuts anyway.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7339381.stm

Also remember we are only getting 4 new episodes of doc who next year as opposed to 5 episodes of torchwood-so torchwood is better off. (Rumour being the Torchwood eps will be an hour each too)
    I thought that was confirmed?

And I'm still hoping that Julie Gardner quote was a mistake and the other people saying 5 were right
    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Yes, I am!
    sigpic
    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by ecchi View Post

You have been reading the Sun again.
      It was in the Daily Mail as well. (You'd never have guessed, what with there being not a line in the piece about house prices, but it was definitely in the Daily Mail) and they being 165% more accurate than the Sun, the story has a 58% probability of being true. Fact.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
        I've got to admit, I'm still not sure about Mickey being in Torchwood (if indeed he definitely is going to be in it...but I can't see many other options given the end of Journey's End), but then, I also wasn't keen on Donna Noble becoming a full-time companion in Who - until the end of 'Partners in Crime'. Could Mickey be in line for a serious character upgrade?

Martha, however, has already been in Torchwood, and while I haven't looked, I haven't seen any huge adverse reaction to her presence (although at the time, she wasn't replacing another character), so essentially Mickey is the only unknown quantity - or it's because of that AND the potentially risky move to BBC1.

Where series 1 was slightly over the top, I personally thought series 2 of TW hit the nail on the head, finding the perfect balance of adult themes and content and Who-ness. I'm still a little apprehensive about the idea of toning it down further.
        Mickey on TW would be very interesting.

I love your new sig =]
        Perhaps Puff

Comment

Originally posted by nich959 View Post
          Mickey on TW would be very interesting.
          I hope so. I suppose there's potential there - and if I'm fair, more than I saw in the character of Donna Noble before series four of Who aired, mainly given my feeling of 'what can they possibly do with her that won't be annoying?'. The whole series, it turns out.

If he is going to be in TW series 3 and beyond, I just hope he doesn't get reduced to the level of 'Torchwood muscle', that the writers come up with a good role for him in The Hub, and some believable skills and talents. Maybe his time in alternate Torchwood will serve him well.

Same goes for Martha, although she's got a head start I reckon, what with the whole 'when I was in UNIT', qualified medical doctor thing, and having been in TW before.

Originally posted by nich959 View Post
          I love your new sig =]
          Heh, thanks! I made a smarter and larger version of the Ba'al bumper sticker one, added a new one (is that the one you're talking about, the Sheppard one?) and put them on rotation. Glad you like it.
          And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
          sigpic
          Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

In addition to taking all rumors with a large grain of salt and hoping the best for Season 3 TW, we could also consider that the remark might have a grain of truth no one has considered yet.

Basically, the BBC are seeking a show to be as successful as Who in Who's off season. With Torchwood having a reputation as dark and wonderful but also sometimes overly dark and filled with too much sex, the remark could mean that the writing staff continues to strive to find a balance between Who magic/darkness/sexuality/the magic of Torchwood and a show that will not cause people to turn the channel because Who isn't on.

It sounds like the BBC doesn't want to turn into SciFi.l I know many fans who are like me, when their show ends, they turn off that network. When Who ends, I'm done with SciFi for most of the year. When Who returns, I return. The BBC is simply trying to figure out how to make more Whovian's Torchwood fans, and because of both RTD's and now SM's envolvment, the essence of Torchwood will likely not be sacrificed.
            "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
              Oh, I'm never taking these things seriously! It's jsut that they do provide them links.
              And have the sense of adding stuff like "this is from the Sun".
              True, you have to wonder if there's a group of people sitting in a basement somewhere going "I know what we'll do, just for a laugh we'll put out on the internet that Amy Winehouse is going to be the new Doctor and see what happens"
              You also have to wonder about these 'Source's from the BBC' The Sun quote from, I bet, in the Dr Who office, whenever The Sun rings up for a story they go "The Sun's on the phone what shall we tell them this time?" "Tell them Jason Donovan is going to be the new companion and we're going to kill him off at the end of the series and he'll meet up with Astrid and skip off in the sunset singing Especially for You, then monitor the Internet to see home many people believe them"
              Last edited by Reefgirl; 23 July 2008, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                True, you have to wonder if there's a group of people sitting in a basement somewhere going "I know what we'll do, just for a laugh we'll put out on the internet that Amy Winehouse is going to be the new Doctor and see what happens"
                You also have to wonder about these 'Source's from the BBC' The Sun quote from, I bet, in the Dr Who office, whenever The Sun rings up for a story they go "The Sun's on the phone what shall we tell them this time?" "Tell them Jason Donovan is going to be the new companion and we're going to kill him off at the end of the series and he'll meet up with Astrid and skip off in the sunset singing Especially for You, then monitor the Internet to see home many people believe them"
                You are not far wrong in both cases.

When a newspaper disappears and no one cares about it's reputation anymore (most recently the London Evening News) you usually get to hear stories of how they made up articles to sell papers (in the case of the London Evening News they used to have a regular daily editorial session along the lines of "OK that is the serious stuff written, now we need to make up a couple of 'funny' articles of the 'cat chased by mouse' variety").

As to the BBC; they want publicity, but RTD is not too keen on letting out future plot ideas to the press, so mostly Auntie Beeb relies on spreading rumours.
                My jokes site - http://www.homegrownlaughter.com - for great jokes

It has come to my notice that some people in this forum are using the letter A without having first obtained a licence. Be aware that the letter A is now a patented property, and continuing to use it without a licence will result in criminal prosecution. Please CLICK HERE for full details.

Comment

Originally posted by ecchi View Post
                  You are not far wrong in both cases.

When a newspaper disappears and no one cares about it's reputation anymore (most recently the London Evening News) you usually get to hear stories of how they made up articles to sell papers (in the case of the London Evening News they used to have a regular daily editorial session along the lines of "OK that is the serious stuff written, now we need to make up a couple of 'funny' articles of the 'cat chased by mouse' variety").

As to the BBC; they want publicity, but RTD is not too keen on letting out future plot ideas to the press, so mostly Auntie Beeb relies on spreading rumours.
                  And have a laugh along the way

Comment

No no, oh god, oh god, please no...

No.

This is a reaction to the first post of the thread.
                    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Well, it'll be a Torchwood without Martha... Freema's defected to ITV according to accounts. Rumours, rumours, everywhere and not a drop of truth?
                      sigpic
                      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                        Well, it'll be a Torchwood without Martha... Freema's defected to ITV according to accounts. Rumours, rumours, everywhere and not a drop of truth?
                        What do you expect from The Sun?

Comment

Working...
                        X