This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't watch SGA after seeing BSG...

So I recently decided to watch BSG. And right now I'm at the beginning of S3. And I can honestly say that Battlestar galactica killed my interest in SGA. BSG has superior actors, way more CGI, better music and above all, great script. The tone in SGA is way off, and the characters are very dull. I mean they're all straight up good guys and the bad guys are always bad. I really loved SGA before BSG but why should I keep watching SGA when I get BAMSR episodes all the time on BSG. The writers of SGA really needs to get their thumb out of their asses and start making some great scripts.
    Oh and I just saw Exodus part 2 of BSG and it totally beats anything Stargate has ever put out.

Yep BSG's biggest downside is it spoils you for other sci-fi shows.

Same thing happened to me. I didn't really start to notice or really care about any of the shortcomings of stargate until I was similarly "spoiled".

You can still watch Farscape and Firefly though, those still work, at least for me.

Comment

yes, BSG is much better than that crappy SGA. I can only recommend you to watch Babylon 5 which is even better than BSG
      Stolen Kosovo
      sigpic

Comment

I love both shows. There are good and bad things about them. They're very different; BSG is dark and serious, SGA is light and more humorous. There's no reason why you can't appreciate both shows.

Just because BSG does the dark and gloomy SCI-FI well doesn't mean SGA should imitate it. It's doing its own thing and doing it very well.

I'll agree that BSG has better CGI/MUSIC and Exodus Part 2 was amazing. Pretty sure it costs a lot more to produce though.

I also think that BSG has gotten progressively worse (still good though, and sometimes amazing) while SGA has gotten progressively better since S1.5-2.
        We're whalers on the moon,
        We carry a harpoon.
        But there ain't no whales
        So we tell tall tales
        And sing our whaling tune.

Comment

Originally posted by blitzsnake View Post
          So I recently decided to watch BSG. And right now I'm at the beginning of S3. And I can honestly say that Battlestar galactica killed my interest in SGA. BSG has superior actors, way more CGI, better music and above all, great script. The tone in SGA is way off, and the characters are very dull. I mean they're all straight up good guys and the bad guys are always bad. I really loved SGA before BSG but why should I keep watching SGA when I get BAMSR episodes all the time on BSG. The writers of SGA really needs to get their thumb out of their asses and start making some great scripts.
          Oh and I just saw Exodus part 2 of BSG and it totally beats anything Stargate has ever put out.
          They're two completely different types of shows. Stargate is a relatively light, plot driven action adventure show, BSG is a dark, character driven drama. I'll give you that they have better visual effects, but then Stargate would have as well if they spent nearly all of their time in the same set. As for actors, Stargate blows BSG completely out of the water, some of the acting in BSG is truly shocking, and only seems half decent because of the way it's shot and the dramatic setting, whenever the actors are asked to do something outside of their comfort zone they flop. The only truly great actor in BSG that I can think of is Mary McDonnell, the rest are pretty poor, half of them are SG-1 throwbacks. The writing I can't really agree on either, the first season was brilliant, but like many others I noticed a steep decline in quality after that. Season 2 was decent, at least watchable, but season 3 was just drivel. I'll admit that season 4 has improved upon season 3, but still poor in my opinion, especially the mid season finale. As for Stargate I think the general trend is up, I thought season one was great, but season 2 almost made me give up on it, season 3 was an improvement, but I don't think Atlantis really hit its stride until season 4, and I'm expecting season 5 to be brilliant too.

Comment

There are many things that beat SGA at the moment...
            BSG has the gritty drama and realism (well as far as realism goes in sci-fi) and it does it so well with such great actors as Olmos and McDonnell. Actually I don't believe there's one bad actor in the whole bunch and i thoroughly enjoy every single episode myself.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
              They're two completely different types of shows. Stargate is a relatively light, plot driven action adventure show, BSG is a dark, character driven drama. I'll give you that they have better visual effects, but then Stargate would have as well if they spent nearly all of their time in the same set. As for actors, Stargate blows BSG completely out of the water, some of the acting in BSG is truly shocking, and only seems half decent because of the way it's shot and the dramatic setting, whenever the actors are asked to do something outside of their comfort zone they flop. The only truly great actor in BSG that I can think of is Mary McDonnell, the rest are pretty poor, half of them are SG-1 throwbacks. The writing I can't really agree on either, the first season was brilliant, but like many others I noticed a steep decline in quality after that. Season 2 was decent, at least watchable, but season 3 was just drivel. I'll admit that season 4 has improved upon season 3, but still poor in my opinion, especially the mid season finale. As for Stargate I think the general trend is up, I thought season one was great, but season 2 almost made me give up on it, season 3 was an improvement, but I don't think Atlantis really hit its stride until season 4, and I'm expecting season 5 to be brilliant too.
              Really? I thought second part of S4 was a huge letdown. Some eps like "Trio" and "Harmony should've never been made. The hybrid storyline is very unoriginal. I liked S1 better with the Wraith. And most of the time SGA is on, it's the Atlantis set. I think that the actors get too much paid. Instead of increasing the number of regulars on the show, they should instead aim to make some awesome CGI. Who wants Keller anyway? And I just think that the characters on SGA are too shallow. It's like the writers thought like this: "Sheppard is the cool guy, Mckay is the annoying guy, Teyla is the wise gal, Ronon is the strong dude..." and so on.
              What's most surprising is that parts of S1 of Atlantis had way better special effects than S4. Remember the collapsing building in The last man? Video games nowadays have better visuals than that.

Comment

I have never seen BSG. Would you say it is the sort of show I can sit down with my eight year old daughter and watch, as I can with SGA?

Comment

BSG sounds cool but can't be stuffed catching up like 4 seasons and a miniseries. thats like a lot of time.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                    I dunno if I agree with the acting bit. I'd say that both shows have had their share of bad and good acting. Baltar, Olmos, Hogan!!, Lee, Laura have are all good. I do think it's harder to act on BSG since it's an a lot more emotional show. I mean I don't think I've ever seen a character either really happy or sad or really, truly pissed off on Stargate ever - maybe Jack a couple of times 10 mins later he goes back to making jokes =d That's part of it's charm. BSG on the other everyone is pretty much either miserable or super happy and it seems to change every other week, though I guess that's understandable given the premise of the show.
                    We're whalers on the moon,
                    We carry a harpoon.
                    But there ain't no whales
                    So we tell tall tales
                    And sing our whaling tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                      I have never seen BSG. Would you say it is the sort of show I can sit down with my eight year old daughter and watch, as I can with SGA?
                      no
                      Stolen Kosovo
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blitzsnake View Post
                        Really? I thought second part of S4 was a huge letdown. Some eps like "Trio" and "Harmony should've never been made.
                        Why not?

The hybrid storyline is very unoriginal.
                        I don't know of any other storylines like it.

I liked S1 better with the Wraith. And most of the time SGA is on, it's the Atlantis set.
                        No it's not, they use loads of sets, and they shoot on location too which is also expensive.

I think that the actors get too much paid. Instead of increasing the number of regulars on the show, they should instead aim to make some awesome CGI. Who wants Keller anyway? And I just think that the characters on SGA are too shallow. It's like the writers thought like this: "Sheppard is the cool guy, Mckay is the annoying guy, Teyla is the wise gal, Ronon is the strong dude..." and so on.
                        lol

What's most surprising is that parts of S1 of Atlantis had way better special effects than S4. Remember the collapsing building in The last man? Video games nowadays have better visuals than that.
                        Some effects in season 1 were better than some in season 4, but you can say that for any season, you also need to remember that there were also far fewer effects in season 1 compared with season 4.

Comment

Uhhh I'm not sure if its something an eight year old will want to watch. Its a pretty dark show and has the whole doom and gloom aspect to it that some might not find watchable. I like it, but I recognise that it might not be the case for others.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

NO NO NO

not with a 8 year old but you can

Comment

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori View Post
                              Uhhh I'm not sure if its something an eight year old will want to watch. Its a pretty dark show and has the whole doom and gloom aspect to it that some might not find watchable. I like it, but I recognise that it might not be the case for others.
                              Originally posted by Zelda fan View Post
                              NO NO NO

not with a 8 year old but you can
                              I suspected as much And hence the need for two completely different types of sci fi. One for adults and one for more family viewing.

(I think I'll get BSG on DVD & watch it late at night when little un is in bed)

Comment

Working...
                              X