Gallifreyan script

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gallifreyan script

I'm terribly (and probably quite geekily) intruiged by the mention on the commentary for The Idiot's Lantern that one of the show's production designers (can't recall the name - sorry!) did actually create an entire alphabet/writing system of Gallifreyan script for the show.

So the stuff you see scrolling and changing on the TARDIS viewscreen (and scribbled on post-it notes stuck to the viewscreen etc) is not just random gibberish but they did actually create a full script. I'd LOVE to get my hands on that - I think it's a beautiful art-deco-ish design and I just really like the idea of the Gallifreyan script being such an artistic, circular design (and being so fundamentally different from Earth-based alphabets).
    sigpic

...Which always brings up the question - what do these post-it notes SAY?

"Reminder: Pick up the new suit on Tuesday."

The Doctor does seem to have apretty handwriting though...
    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Yes, I am!
    sigpic
    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post

The Doctor does seem to have apretty handwriting though...
      I know! I'm dying to know things like that! I'm such a sad, detail-obsessed fangirl.

This is why the reference came up in the commentary for The Idiot's Lantern - when the Doctor takes the video out of the machine, it's got things written on the label in Gallifreyan script. David mentioned that the producers (I think) had wanted to have things written and crossed out on the label (mostly 1970s TV shows like The Onedin Line etc) as if the Doctor had been recording TV shows to watch and then taping over them with new episodes etc etc. But then it was decided that of course the Doctor would write in Gallifreyan script. So there are a coupla things written on the video and crossed out and apparently there is a full Gallifreyan alphabet and what's written there actually DOES say things like The Onedin Line!

I'd seriously love to get hold of the alphabet and be able to write things in Gallifreyan. But then, I'm that kind of sad fangirl... when we were teenagers my sister worked out the Dwarven rune alphabet from The Hobbit/LotR and *ahem* I can still write in runes.
      sigpic

Comment

LOL, brilliant! now it does raise the very interesting question of what the Doctor's taste in TV programmes is like.

As for writing in dwarvish, well, at least you have this sad fangirl's company - so can I! Although, I can hide it through being a lingusitics student and knowing all Icelandic (Gawd, one of my lecturers laughed at me for being the one who knows/ studies the various langauges comprising Sindarin )
        Yes, I am!
        sigpic
        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

LOL, brilliant! now it does raise the very interesting question of what the Doctor's taste in TV programmes is like.

As for writing in dwarvish, well, at least you have this sad fangirl's company - so can I! Although, I can hide it through being a lingusitics student and knowing all Icelandic (Gawd, one of my lecturers laughed at me for being the one who knows/ studies the various langauges comprising Sindarin )
          Cool! I love stuff like that. I've never met anyone else before who can write in runes either!

I only speak fairly commonplace European languages but I've always been intruiged by Norse/Scandinavian languages... at one point I was tempted to learn Norweigen (though that may have been a hangover from my teenage crush on Morten Harket of a-ha! ). What really fascinates me about Icelandic is the names - your surname is derived from your father's Christian name and the suffix ssohn or sdottir, depending on your gender. Also women usually don't take their husband's name on marriage so if you have a family of 4 (mother, father, son and daughter) they will all have different surnames!! How on earth do you look someone up in the phonebook?! [/off-topic tangenty ramble]

I would like to know what was actually written on that videotape and also what is written on the post-it notes on the console. I've actually just read a fairly interesting fanfic on that very subject (Gallifreyan language and what the Doctor has written on those post-it notes).
          sigpic

Comment

o.0 don't be stingly ali! please share!! and i'm sure there's atleast one geeky fanchild working at the Beeb who's gotten his/her hands on that alphabet... it's only a matter of time before the font will be available for d/l... you just gotta know where to look...
            I'm a Slasher. I slash. It's what I do.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lilith View Post
              o.0 don't be stingly ali! please share!! and i'm sure there's atleast one geeky fanchild working at the Beeb who's gotten his/her hands on that alphabet... it's only a matter of time before the font will be available for d/l... you just gotta know where to look...
              Please share what? I don't have the Gallifreyan script. I'd love to but I don't.
              sigpic

Comment

the fic silly girl!
                I'm a Slasher. I slash. It's what I do.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lilith View Post
                  the fic silly girl!
                  Okay. I had to have a bit of a rummage to find it again but I've managed it! It's called Translations.
                  sigpic

Comment

"If This Light Starts Flashing Your Tardis Has Suffered Runtime Error 29. Please Consult Your Instruction Manuel For Details, Or Contact Your Nearest Tardis Repair Centre"
                    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

"Warning: Not to be used by children under 14 without adult supervision. Side effects may include sneezing, nose bleeding, and being stuck inside someone else's life for 17 odd years."

"If This Light Starts Flashing Your Tardis Has Suffered Runtime Error 29. Please Consult Your Instruction Manuel For Details, Or Contact Your Nearest Tardis Repair Centre"
                      Please don't tell me the Tardis is running on Windows. PLEASE!

...a dn now I was fairly enough on topic to feel less guilty about going off tangent...

I only speak fairly commonplace European languages but I've always been intruiged by Norse/Scandinavian languages... at one point I was tempted to learn Norweigen (though that may have been a hangover from my teenage crush on Morten Harket of a-ha! ). What really fascinates me about Icelandic is the names - your surname is derived from your father's Christian name and the suffix ssohn or sdottir, depending on your gender. Also women usually don't take their husband's name on marriage so if you have a family of 4 (mother, father, son and daughter) they will all have different surnames!! How on earth do you look someone up in the phonebook?! [/off-topic tangenty ramble]
                      Awww, the Germanic languages are fairly commonplace European! Especially Old Icelandic/ Old Norse - and I found it quite easy thanks to English! They're not that different... but then again that same year I found myself struggling to understand Welsh, and compared to it OI is really simple I guess.
                      But yeah, they have no need for surnames, the silly people. Must be weird, living in such a small place....
                      Last edited by Pitry; 20 July 2008, 01:57 AM.
                      Yes, I am!
                      sigpic
                      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Topic? Ah noodles to that!

Awww, the Germanic languages are fairly commonplace European! Especially Old Icelandic/ Old Norse - and I found it quite easy thanks to English! They're not that different... but then again that same year I found myself struggling to understand Welsh, and compared to it OI is really simple I guess.
                        But yeah, they have no need for surnames, the silly people. Must be weird, living in such a small place....
                        When I started learning German, I actually found it quite similar in some ways to Welsh. Some of thr grammar works the same and some of the words are vaguely similar (e.g. window - German: Fenster - Welsh: fenest). Sadly I don't remember much Welsh as I stopped learning it at school at about 11.. had a few more lessons as an adult when it was offered free at work and was just picking it up again and getting pretty good when I left that job!

What's most interesting (and confusing, when trying to learn it) about Welsh, IMO, is that it still has mutation. Most languages originally had mutation but have dropped it over the years - Welsh still has it. The town I am from in N Wales is called Prestatyn but if you say in Welsh, "Welcome to Prestatyn" it becomes "Croeso i Brestatyn". The mutation even affects proper nouns! (Which also means the bilingual sign on the outskirts of the town is, technically, incorrect which always makes me laugh. )

Ahem. Anyway. Topic? Yeah. I really want the key/alphabet to Gallifreyan script, dammit!
                        sigpic

Comment

Oh you're frmo North Wales! Cool! Although you're ruining our stereotype, we (=my class) were under the impression people in North Wales still speak Welsh! hehe.
                          I've really grown to love this language now that I have a better handle of it - it's so cool! And yeah, especially the mutations.. well, after you get them fixed around your head and develop some sort of vocabulary so you don't find yourself looking for half the words in at least 2 different entries in the dictionary... But the whoel concept and development and uses of them is fascinating...

But, I admit I see more similarities between German and English than German and Welsh! Although if you did take German and you're a native speaker o fEnglish Norse languages shouldn't be a problem at all!
                          Yes, I am!
                          sigpic
                          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Oh you're frmo North Wales! Cool! Although you're ruining our stereotype, we (=my class) were under the impression people in North Wales still speak Welsh! hehe.
                            I've really grown to love this language now that I have a better handle of it - it's so cool! And yeah, especially the mutations.. well, after you get them fixed around your head and develop some sort of vocabulary so you don't find yourself looking for half the words in at least 2 different entries in the dictionary... But the whoel concept and development and uses of them is fascinating...

But, I admit I see more similarities between German and English than German and Welsh! Although if you did take German and you're a native speaker o fEnglish Norse languages shouldn't be a problem at all!
                            Well since the revival in the 70s Wales is pretty much bilingual, at least on the surface. Everyone learns Welsh in school and all the road signs are bilingual and any official documentation must be available in both languages and you must be bilingual to get certain jobs - e.g. librarian. Hence why I had the chance to take free Welsh lessons as an adult - I worked for the NHS and the lessons were offered as part of their bilingual policy. In my case I got a scholarship and went to a private school for my high school education - and as it was a boarding school and 99% of the pupils were not from nor likely to stay in Wales, the school didn't offer Welsh. So I effectively stopped learning it at age 11.

Also, I'm from the coast of N Wales - very touristy area, lots of people are originally from e.g. Cheshire, Manchester, Liverpool (my own family are from Liverpool originally) and although Welsh is taught in the schools etc and stuff, it's not used so much in day to usage. Mind you, you go a just a little bit inland, as far as say Denbigh or Ruthin, and it's much more prevalent. And if you go south and inland, to say Blaenau Ffestiniog and the whole Snowdonia region, then you'll walk into a pub and everyone will naturally be talking Welsh.

It is a lovely lyrical language. It can be hard for someone who's not grown up in Wales to learn though simply because of the pronunciation - in that e.g. there simply is no English language equivalent to the ll sound.. and have you ever tried explaining to someone how to pronounce that sound? My grandma still pronounces Llandudno as Lan-dud-no.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                              It is a lovely lyrical language. It can be hard for someone who's not grown up in Wales to learn though simply because of the pronunciation - in that e.g. there simply is no English language equivalent to the ll sound.. and have you ever tried explaining to someone how to pronounce that sound? My grandma still pronounces Llandudno as Lan-dud-no.
                              Hell, I'm still trying to figure out how to pronounce it myself! I'm usually settling for chl, TBH....
                              Our problem is our lecturer isn't Welsh himself, so he doesn't know either. One of the students went to cardiff just now to take a spoken Welsh course, she'll be back in a couple of weeks and we'll probably make her give us a pronounciation class so we could continue reading correctly!
                              And never mind "ll", I'm havinga much harder time trying to figure our "rh" and in what way is it pronounced differently from "r"!
                              Yes, I am!
                              sigpic
                              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Working...
                              X